Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I have a original Kindle Fire, and I'm looking to get a new tablet, trying to decide between the new Nexus 7 or the old 10. My issue is that I mainly use it for reading comics, and while I can get by with the screen size, it sometimes does get a little cramped.

Do all the other benefits of the new 7 outweight the size increase of the 10? Or should I wait til they announce the new 10 to see what that brings to the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I never knew the NOOK HD+ was such a good bang for your buck (or seems to be). I'm debating between an Nexus 10, a Nexus 7, and maybe now I'm adding this to the mix. Plus whatever Nexus 10-2 will presumably come out in Oct/Nov. Anyone want to convince me one way or another?

Only caveat is I do a lot of comic reading on my tablet so i would really like one of the bigger ones, unless someone thinks the N7 could get the job done significantly better than my old rear end original Kindle Fire.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I pulled the trigger and bought a 32g nook hd+ today. The price was right and I'm loving the size. Comics fill the screen perfectly which was my main purpose in buying it over the 2013 N7. It is noticeably slower than my N4, but I expected that going in.

Just waiting to get my 64g sd card before putting cyanogenmod on it, which should give it a slight speed boost.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

teagone posted:

Hmm, so that extra inch or two won't really make a difference when reading comics?

I can only compare the 7" of an original Kindle Fire to my current Nook HD+, but those two inches make a world of difference to me as far as comics go.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

teagone posted:

Are you running CM10.2 on it? If so, can you comment on its performance?

I'm only running 10.1 currently (10.2 wasn't totally stable when I bought the thing), and it's great. I don't play games on it, but I have no problems with comics, Youtube, Awful Betamax, Tumblr, or streaming from my local network or netflix. Not as snappy as my N4 but I wasn't expecting it to be. I probably won't even bother with 10.2, I'll just wait until whatever the 4.4 equivalent will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Does the magnet in the poetic case cause reboots? I just switched to a poetic case for my nook hd, and have been experiencing a lot of random reboots. I thought it was from recently switching to 10.2.