Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah searching "Nexus 10" onto google ruined my google now for a little because it just parses the million loving articles that IBT churns out daily about "rumor the new nexus 10 will have a 8 trillion pixels and will suck your dick"

Yeah, I stopped looking for N10 news and just loving bought my Note because I got tired of stupid rumor churns with no real information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Bing the Noize posted:

Speaking of news and rumors, is there any word of anything with a screen to rival the N10's coming out anytime soon? The N10 is ugly as sin and lack of removable storage is dumb as h*ck. Mostly I don't wanna spend 350-400 on a late 2012 device...

The ASUS MeMO 10 FHD looks radical but I am debating whether I should get that or wait on something better with a nicer screen

The aforementioned Note 10.1" 2014 edition has the same screen as the N10. It's really quite lovely.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

dissss posted:

Is that true?

The Note definitely has a pentile layout, but I'm fairly sure the N10 doesn't from looking at them side by side at the store.

It's a 2560x1600 IPS LCD. Pentile doesn't generally apply outside of the AMOLED phone space.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Not necessarily true. The lenovo Yoga 2 Pro uses a Samsung sourced pentile LCD screen.

Also, the 60" version of Samsung's 5500 series plasma uses a pentile arrangement.

Note my use of the word 'generally'.

Also the Droid X2 and the Atrix. It's out there, but it's much more common to have RGB LCD

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Regardless. The Note 10.1 2014 does have a RGBW pentile arrangement while the N10 does not. They are not the same screen.

Interesting. I can't see any pentile-ness in it at all (I didn't look at the specifics on that). At the density on the screen it's pretty irrelevant.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It still has that disc at the end so it's not really fine-point, but I guess it works? Have fun holding your hand like this.

IIRC the Note tablets have the option to disable capacitive input while using the pen so you can hold your hand however you like. Not that I'm recommending a Samsung.

Yeah, it's quite handy, particularly since I'm a lefty. I use the pen constantly on my Note 10.1.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Miles O'Brian posted:

So Amazon Instant Video for Prime users in the UK went live a couple of days ago and being a member I figured I'd bite the bullet and get a tablet for lazy afternoons in bed.

I did my research enough to steer clear of a Kindle Fire due to the fact that you can't get BBC iPlayer, 4oD and other UK centric catch up TV and went with a Nexus 7 (which I bought from Amazon, ironically). I didn't do my research enough to realise that Amazon were going to be dicks about it and make you have a Kindle or an iPad to access the service.

Is there any way to bend it to my will or am I cancelling my Prime membership when its up for renewal at the end of March? I found a flash hack for US users but it doesn't seem to work in the UK.

Prime instant video only works on iOS and Kindle fire. There is no generic Android app available.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Machai posted:

My mother's Nexus 7 just crapped itself. She said she was watching Hulu when the app crashed and then the tablet shut itself down. It now won't turn on, regularly or to the boot menu, and the battery status icon does not show up when it is plugged in. I checked the battery and it was not loose. Before checking the battery there was no response when I connected the tablet to my PC. Immediately after checking the battery my PC detected a device but failed to load the drivers and now will not detect the tablet when I connect it.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Is there some way to factory reset the tablet in this state?

That's pretty close to how mine died.

I picked up a new (used) mainboard on eBay for $20 shipped and had it up and running again in less than an hour after it arrived.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

me your dad posted:

I have a new Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 and I can't turn wi-fi on. When I slide the toggle under the settings panel, it immediately goes back to the 'off' position. Airplane mode is off and the router has been rebooted.

Anyone ever seen this?

It's a TouchWiz thing, sadly. I just reflashed my work phone back to stock to prep for impending YOTJ and I had to do a factory reset AND reflash to get WiFi to turn on. Maybe a couple of factory reset passes and maybe a clear cache in recovery will get you going again.

It's a big loving pain in the rear end, and it's definitely Samsung/TouchWiz.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

How have OS updates on the Shield tablets been? Or has it even been out long enough to tell?

I have the 32GB LTE version. It shipped with 4.4.4 (I think) and had an update for 5.0.1 waiting when I turned it on.

Battery life is pretty weak if you leave the cell radio on, but now that I do Airplane Mode + WiFi it seems quite a bit better.

Plus all my work friends are jealous as hell when I'm playing Portal on my tablet at lunchtime.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm actually really warming to the Tab S 8.4. I can't believe I'm contemplating a Samsung product, but there it is. The screen is beautiful and it's very thin and light.

Looks like that model came out in June of last year, so it might be due for a refresh soon. Given the good buzz around the S6, it might be a really nice refresh.

Even beyond the performance issues with the N9, 4:3 at 9" just isn't for me. I want a 16:9 or 16:10 tablet again at a slight smaller size.

Got the wife one for Christmas and she adores it. Then all she does on it is play Hay day.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Your device's manufacturer made your phone invulnerable? NEAT. You just have to tell us what it's invulnerable to and how they achieved that. :allears:

Remember who you're replying to. Never mind the fact that you still have to initiate the installation, regardless of the source, and the fact that you can do a one time allow for unknown sources. Logic and reason don't apply.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

5.1 update finishing installing on my Shield Tablet. Here's hoping it's not terrible.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Boywunda posted:

Mine did too this weekend. I haven't even noticed a difference. Mind you I wasn't experiencing any specific issues on 5.0.1 (or was it 5.0.2...I dont' even remember what I upgraded from...lol)

Overnight idle is better for starters. No real performance difference so far, but it wasn't exactly slow to begin with.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm in the US and haven't gotten my shipping notice even. I have the LTE version and submitted mine within hours of the notification email.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ixian posted:

What is it about a custom rom you are looking for? Why not just root it and install an adblocker, etc? Especially for the Shield; you might lose access to their Hub, special controller drivers, etc. not sure.

There's barely any reason to put custom roms on phones these days, much less tablets, unless you have a really old one that isn't getting updates, but that isn't really the case with the Shield. It's a version behind at most.

Existing Shield tablets have a battery recall on them (Still waiting for my shipment). They are not always asking for them back, and instead have an eFuse that will deactivate your current tablet once you activate the new one.

I'm debating if I want to go the stock rooted with the efuse removed or full custom CM route when mine arrives and I find out if they want the old one back or not.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Budgie posted:

10 weeks later and my replacement SHIELD tablet has finally shipped.

EDIT: It came with a box full of fire retardant packaging prepaid return shipping. Booooo!

Mine took 5 weeks to ship. I got an email at the 4 week mark apologizing for the delays. I responded ripping the up one side and down the other on the poor customer service angle (seriously, if you say 2-4 weeks, you know by week 2 if you're behind, send a "We're working hard on getting your replacement out!" email before the outside of the window. Customer service 101.)

Someone responded with something resembling an apology and asked for my serial #. The day I sent the response, I got the UPS My Choice email, and the actual shipping notice from nVidia the next day. A full week after I got my tablet and the fireproof return box I got en email from the guy saying "your replacement should ship on <date I got the UPS email>".

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Budgie posted:

You know what, when they asked for the fire hazard tablets back they only wanted the tablets. No charger or stylus, just the tablets.

Coincidence? :tinfoil:

My replacement was full retail packaging, too. 2 stylus, 2 bricks, 2 cables now.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Anecdotal, yes, but I have a 64GB Samsung card in my first-gen Shield (K1?) and it has been nothing but perfect so far.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Well, I'm glad I didn't try to force the update on mine:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02/02/nvidia-has-halted-the-android-6-0-update-for-the-shield-tablet-because-it-might-break-your-wifi/

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I have the original LTE version, so it looks like mine wouldn't be in the queue for a bit, anyway.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

MOst of the modern phones have MHL connectors which allow more functionality than just data.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Got tired of waiting for AT&T to finish carrier validation on my unlocked LTE Shield and went for the ROW version since the hardware is identical.

Works like a champ and I don't have the AT&T crap on there (granted it wasn't much). Even got the 6.0.1 OTA a few minutes after I hooked up to WiFi.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So is the Shield K1 really the only viable non-Samsung, non-Kindle, non-cheapchinashitbox 8" tablet out there these days?

Don't get me wrong, I think they're great (I have an OG Shield Tablet, myself), but the market seems REALLY drained right now.

I'm specifying non-Samsung/Kindle because my FIL is used to stock Android (his 2013 N7 just poo poo the bed).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

minusX posted:

Did LTE. You have to find a preowned one as the LTE model was discontinued. I picked one up at Swappa and it works really well, but I've heard a lot of issues with Wifi.

I wonder if yours got the early update that was causing WiFi problems and got pulled?

Mine has been rock solid both on wifi and LTE using the ROW update (Since AT&T are dickbags) to Marshmallow.

Haven't had any of the aforementioned issues with performance. Chugging through HL2 without any problems or even getting warm.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered using your 4 hours commuting every week to do something more enriching than watching movies? A Kindle can be had for less than $100 and books might be free from your local library!

Art is art, regardless of the media.

I mean, I'm a reader, but Christ. I didn't realize horses got this high.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

So I bought a Fire HD 8" for my 5 year old step-son for Christmas. He's been using an old HTC One M7 for playing random games on for the last 2 years or something because I had one lying around that wasn't being used. Anyway, the battery in the phone doesn't last more than an hour now days between the games he plays and such. Then he asked santa for "a new phone" for Christmas because his was "old" - Anyway, I got the play store installed on the tablet so he can sync all his games onto it. 3 Questions, 1. is this thing a piece of poo poo? I haven't used/owned a tablet since the original ipad came out. 2. The little thing I did to install the play store said it would disable the lockscreen ads too, but it doesn't seem to have done that. Is there another way to do it? 3. Should I root it so I can replace the launcher? There doesn't seem to be access to change the launcher and I feel like the FireOS standard launcher is a little overboard for a 5 year old.

1. No, they're actually pretty solid. Not top-end, but definitely decent hardware.
2. I think you actually need to root to disable the ads
3. If you're going to root it and replace the launcher, you might be better served by throwing stock Android on it and getting rid of the locks that FireOS puts in place.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Just personal opinion, but going from a Samsung software build to something like the pixel is nearly as jarring as going from iOS to Android.

Holy poo poo this.

Wife and I both have tablets. I have a shield, and she has a Tab S 8.4. Trying to use her tablet drives me insane. It's even worse when I have to use her phone because she has all the TW stuff enabled and I have all of mine turned off (we both have an S6).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

smr posted:

Well; that's discouraging; then again, I have no issues stripping out TW as much as is possible as soon as I get this thing. Assuming that, do things get better? Do you LIKE your S6 device (I believe the Tab S2's TW implementation is very similar to what was shipped on the S6) with all of the TW crap turned off?

I _had_ a Pixel-C sometime back and liked it but eventually sold it because typing a passphrase to get into it or to access 1Password every goddamned time instead of just mushing my thumb on a sensor eventually drove me insane.

With as much of the TW stuff turned off as I can manage, I'm ok with my S6. Battery life is poo poo, but that's why I have a PixelXL on the way. There are some TW bits that you just can't hide, but I've managed to accept them.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

SlayVus posted:

I have a samsung 64gb that can do 90mb/s reads when connected to my PC.

Even the fastest SD card can't even come close to eMMC/NVMe.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 6, 2017

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

lol, wtf brain? Ugh.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm being tempted by the new 10" fire, but it's still 1080p. A 1440/1536p 10" tablet for $150 would be an instant buy, even while I'm still enjoying my OG Shield tablet.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

I got one Wednesday. After weighing a bunch of options while trying to find something to replace my dying 2013 Nexus 7, I asked myself, "If 1080p is good enough on your 46" television, surely it'll be good enough on your 10" tablet?"

I'm not disappointed. I'm also not a video nut though, and 1080p truly is plenty good enough for me, but I'd also completely understand if someone wanted to hold out for more.

I'm starting the process of shifting all of the bigger displays on my house to 4k. My desktop monitor is first, then the main TV, and eventually the others. All of the phones are already 1536p (PixelXL and GS6), and the new iPads for the kids will be retina, so 1440/1536p is the lowest I'll for anything new going forward.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, I was using it as a generality instead of calling out specific resolutions in each mention.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

They've already pretty much forked Android, so I can't see them shifting any time soon.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Guillermus posted:

How is it even possible that a modern tablet can't stream HD content? That's loving weird :psyduck:

Its a software thing. And the vendor has to be willing to pay to include it in their build. Or, in the case of one plus, not be loving stupid and make it work right from the get go.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I really miss my Note 10.1 2014 Edition. That was a great device.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The best you can do hardware wise for that money though is probably by a used Galaxy Tab S2. It has a better processor and a higher resolution AMOLED screen.

They come across as fragile on the surface, but they're loving tanks, too. Got my wife one when they were new for Christmas. Middle kid dropped it face down on the garage floor and murdered the screen 3 weeks into January. Popped a new screen on it and the abuse it's taken, including a full dunking in the bathtub would make any device cry for mercy, but it's still chugging along like a champ.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Does it support SPen?

That's one feature I really miss about my 10.1 2014. The Sheild stylus is/was good, but abandonware hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, if you want to do "real" drawing on Android, the Note series is about the only game in town. The stylus on the Shield tablet was pretty good, but Samsung still works better.