Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I posted earlier about my c and not much has changed. I had been wanting a new nexus 10 and the c might as well be it. The reviews are all pretty spot on where the main problem is Android itself, but you already know what to expect there. I initially had problems with touch input but they magically went away. I've never had any problems with the keyboard but that seems to happen due to 2.4GHz congestion and my house is all 5GHz WiFi. I don't take mine outside so the reflective screen doesn't matter to me either.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is some older games don't handle the aspect ratio properly and they crop instead of letterbox, making them unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

My Pixel C got the February patch and it came with a keyboard update, too. I wonder if it's supposed to fix the connectivity issues some are having.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

Has any of the software issues (pinch to zoom issues, relatively common crashes and hard reboots, failure to register taps accurately) been fixed by a firmware update or something? Was curious if all of these were fixed in a couple of months or if I should really just stay away from the tablet because of that stuff.

I've never had any crashes or reboots on mine. I can't remember pinch zoom ever failing but that's not something I do all that often. I did have problems with the touchscreen responsiveness at first but that mysteriously went away and hasn't come back. I don't remember there being an update that fixed it, it just started working all the time. It does get updates every month just like a Nexus would. It's the fastest mobile device I've ever used and I think that's due to the GPU.

I do have a few gripes but they're minor. The screen doesn't get dim enough on the lowest setting and the speakers are still too loud on the lowest setting. I can't read on it in bed without lighting up the whole room and if my girlfriend is reading I'll have to play a game in a different room. I also wish that the keyboard had dedicated buttons to replace the softkeys. You can do search+enter for home, search+backspace for back but these both require two hands unless you really want to stretch. Alt+tab works as expected. I think it's ridiculous that the keyboard even has an alt key as that's all I've ever used it for. I'd also like there to be home/end keys.

I'd still say it's the nicest Android tablet you can buy.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The new home app has some screenshots in it that look like they're from a tablet with a similar form factor to the Nexus 7 but with different bezels and camera location. The clock shows 4:20 but it's definitely not a Nexus 10 (or 4 for that matter) so maybe there's a new tablet coming?

Of course it could just be a generic render.

e: poo poo it might be a Nexus 9, I always forget about that one.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Chromebooks are being handled pretty well by third parties, there's nothing a Google device would bring.
A good design without a lovely logo or any of the weird compromises they all seem to have. I'd buy a new Chromebook Pixel with a fingerprint reader and stylus support for $1000+.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

butt dickus posted:

A good design without a lovely logo or any of the weird compromises they all seem to have. I'd buy a new Chromebook Pixel with a fingerprint reader and stylus support for $1000+.
Looks like I get to put my money where my mouth is soon.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My wallet is prepared.

Oct 4th is going to be a very costly day.

Same here. I'm going to be placing a separate order for the phone. Last year my Pixel I ordered while the event was still going arrived a month later because I bought it with a Google Home and they shipped together.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

So the Pixelbook is almost exactly what I wanted but without any biometric authentication. Probably going to buy the i7 version anyway when it's available.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The build is just nicer.
This is so incredibly important. Every plastic shitbox laptop I see looks like garbage after a year. My Thinkpad looks almost new after 3 years and I'm ready to replace it with a machine that will last at least that long. The build quality, taller screen and small size/weight are all things I want in a machine, and I'm willing to pay $1650 for it. Chrome OS can do over 90% of what I need a laptop for and Linux can do the rest.

I wish it had a fingerprint scanner but apparently my phone will be able to unlock it so that's almost as good.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I hope it works better on the pixel than it does on my couple year old samsung s6.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Pixelbook reviews are in and they are all glowing. The price is steep, but it seems like it's absolutely worth it if you want a premium Chromebook.

Any idea when the i7 version will be available?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Ended up cancelling my preorder of the Pixelbook through Amazon as they hosed up their inventory and are now giving DECEMBER shipping estimates. For a pre-order, gently caress that.

Just ordered it from Best Buy for pickup this afternoon, so I should have general impressions later tonight.

I'm excited to hear about it, all the reviews so far have been great. I'm still set on the i7 though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The i7 Pixelbook is available now for $1550. Make sure to add the free Google Home to your cart.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I just want to be using the same version and user experience on my tablet as my phone. That's not possible at all right now.
The Pixel C is still up to date.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I must have gotten pretty lucky with my C, as I'm a pretty big screen sperg and didn't notice it.

I can't check it out now since I gave it away when my Pixelbook came in. Which I'm typing this on right now. This is probably the nicest piece of hardware I've ever owned. The whole thing feels solid and uniform and the hinges have the perfect amount of resistance. I got the i7 version and the performance is astounding with such a lightweight OS. The trackpad is the best I've ever used and I hate to say it but the keyboard is better than the one on my Thinkpad.

I'm thinking about getting the pen. Has anyone tried it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The pen holder for my Pixelbook came in. It's just a teal fabric loop stitched to a faux leather ~1.5" square pad with some 3M adhesive on the back. You're supposed to stick it to the underside of the base with the loop sticking out so you can slip the pen in. The pad is gray but it doesn't match any of the other grays on the device. It's also thicker than the feet on the bottom of the laptop so if you do attach it, your Pixelbook won't sit perfectly flat anymore. The little card it came with also shows it being attached on the left side so it can get in the way of your volume and power keys.

I give Pixelbook pen holder an eight out of ten, and it kicks aaaass.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

No, it was good.

The first one was good for the price. The second one was good.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The pixelbook is the best android tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not even going to bother explaining why because I will become dumber by doing so.
This is weak as hell. He pulled those directly from the review.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/7/17657174/microsoft-surface-go-review-tablet-windows-10

Sure it's "good" for a one pound Windows machine with a "might as well be required" keyboard accessory but that's a pretty big qualifier.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Our IT department went let anyone get Surfaces because of their failure rate. My girlfriend's company uses them and are apparently considering the same.

Google has given up on Android tablets so the only things left are half-assed garbage churned out by Samsung and Chinese OEMs. If you want something with good support, good performance and a UI that's designed for the screen size, either suck it up and buy an iPad or spend even more on a chromeos device.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the tweet you posted says "Google Pixel Fold" which is a phone

e: i see it further down in the replies

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Personally I don't like having two devices with different control schemes, the lack of back button on my iPad made using it a frustrating experience for me.
but they both use gesture navigation? pretty sure they both use the same back gesture

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

we're supposed to learn about the disappointing tablet that i'm going to buy anyway today, right?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i also bought the tablet and am posting from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Stormangel posted:

Can anyone else with a new Pixel tablet check something for me? In the clock app the option to have an alarm trigger an assistant routine is missing. Googling yields no hits for the Pixel tablet specifically, but people report that option missing if the assistant language is different from the system, but mine are both US English. I'd just like a sanity check.
it's not there on my tablet but is on my phone