Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SlayVus posted:

So I have successfully tethered my Droid X to my TFP and can use the 3G connection from the phone on my TFP. However, when I connect to my Wifi at home with the phone, the TFP no longer gets internet access. My phone however is stilled connected by both bluetooth and can access the web.

Any suggestions?

Yee, connect your tfp (three foot penis? Turd fetish photographer?) to wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

How about a netbook sleeve?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

AppleCobbler posted:

Isn't gps kind of useless since it's wifi only and if you're doing any navigating you need a data connection, and the wifi will automatically position you?

As has been said numerous times there are connection-less navigation apps, you can also data-tether to your phone & navigate on a bigger screen

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

golgo13sf posted:

The time you spend making your purchase halfway usable X $0/hr = $0

edit: let me clarify

I don't know about you but my time is worth at minimum $50/hr.

If I spend 2 hours just dicking around on XDA, figuring out how to root the device, installing custom ROMs etc, that $100 worth of time (2 hours for the mathematically challenged) pays for something that none of that was necessary for.

That's just for the basic Android fuckery that every one of you advocate when something invariably isn't working correctly out of the box.

Then you get into this situation:

How much is your time worth then? Because you're losing a hell of a lot more than 2 hours.

I love this arguement, because every time I put time into something I am literally losing paid work. You must hate eating sleeping & travel. How do you spend your free time or do you start earning the moment you wake up?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not everyone has extra money, some have extra time. Not everyone has the option of working a couple extra hours & if they did perhaps they have other priorities for their extra money.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Boy you sure schooled us.

Now gently caress off again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Two words:

Button

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anal Tributary posted:

- Web games. Irrelevant on tablets, since they pretty much run universally awful on mobile, and are pointless compared to native apps and HTML5 games (Zynga).

Someone please tell Kongregate that...

(I don't use them, it's just preinstalled bloatware)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

8 cores, but 2 of them don't work so the specs get changed to 6.

1 for touch, 1 for wifi, 1 for gps, that only leaves three cores for actual toilet browsing, gently caress that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I find it weird people would mount 10" tablets to their dashboards. The smaller ones at least could be confused for a big TomTom if someone was drunk enough.

Why? Are you embarrassed?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Isn't that enough?

It should be enough.

This, taking 2 years to pay for a tablet.

How longs the warranty?

Its not 2 years is it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Why does that matter? Aside from personal finance issues, what's wrong with paying money in the future for technology that you can use now? If someone told me I could get a Transformer Prime right new for $600 except I didn't have to pay the $600 until 2050, well, you get my point.

You really missed the point of my post didn't you? Forget about it being an older gen tablet, buy it on contract for 2 years with a 1 year warranty. If it breaks after the first year you will be stuck paying a monthly fee for something you threw away or craigslisted for 30 bucks. Not that you can be sure the warranty will be helpful in the first year mind, as rooting will void that warranty instantly.

Also, you have no idea what financial circumstances you will be under in 2 years, you may not be able to afford the monthly fee, poo poo happens.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uthor posted:

How is that any worse than paying full price for the tablet today and having it break after a year? You're still paying the same amount for the same device that you used for the same amount of time.

Edit: or buying a phone on contract, which people don't seem to have problems with? The same potential issues exist.

Both good points, it would just feel worse to be paying a monthly fee for nothing. You're right though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

At the rate you people are going this thread is going to be force-closed more often than my phone.

Henry Meowlins posted:

Android Tablet Thread: The next one is just marginally less horrible.

Also this.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Please understand most people have no idea what a wacom digitizer is, or that a stylus can be anything other than a pokey stick.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Meanwhile, on Gingerbread...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

GreatKesh posted:

My power button has died. I can't put my device into standby, its hosed. Is there anyway to fix this without opening it up or returning it because I'd rather not do either. Google says that they are my only options.

E: I can make it go into standby by not using it for a while and bring it out by plugging it in butI thats retarded
E2: I just did a factory reset and that did nothing either

You can't fix it without opening the case up, the manufacturer can't fix it unless you send it to them. How else were you expecting to 'fix' it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

My new tablet should be here today. Here's what the busted one looks like right now:

:negative:

Anyone dealt with Squaretrade before? What are the odds of them actually fixing this?

You don't seriously think they'll fix that do you? Hint: they'll take one look at it & bin it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CycleGeek posted:

With revenue down like this they *have* to release something in Q1 2012 in order to not make this quarter a total disaster.

Do you have any numbers to back this up?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That isn't fixed, and a thermal cutout should reset itself at room temperate.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

See apple buying up all 9.7" screen production months in advance of the ipad 1 launch, leaving other manufacturers to scramble for what little manufacturing excess was left in other sizes when they realise it was selling more than a few...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

qirex posted:

They do consume I think 25% of the world's flash memory which definitely has an effect on the overall market.

I forgot about the aspect ratio, yours is a much better point

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rastor posted:

they aren't THAT stupid.

Look at that thing you just wrote :allears:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

At this yospos are a better source of rumours than most tech blogs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yet another reason to specifically warn people away if they come to you for buying advice. Thats unbelievably lovely, has anyone in the uk had any experience with their rear end in a top hat policy conflicting with our consumer rights act?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

dissss posted:

e. Also leave the useless rear camera off. Even if its a good one (which it usually isn't) its an unecessary and stupid feature.

This has always confused me on tablets - why not put that fancy 5MP camera facing the user for videochat-style goings-on? The only time I've seen someone taking a picture with a tablet are those lol-moron macros when someones holding an iPad up at a gig to snap a pic.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

After the phone with a projector built-in someone in the android laff factory thread joked about the next samsung tablet coming with a scanner, sounds like that'd suit you :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If an iPad is "suddenly out of your price range" I'd wonder about the advisability of buying any non-crucial consumer electronics.

So yeah, wait for the rumoured nexus tablet, by the time thats out your situation may have changed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

In before "wrap it in a towel & beat yourself to death with it"

A full factory reset would be a good start.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

nickhimself posted:

Samsung has gotten much better about hardware over the last few years, that's for sure.

Well they have had a lot of practice releasing new hardware.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 30, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

randyest posted:

What does this mean?

Singling any one manufacture out on this is unfair but basically everyone is stealing everyone elses ideas & suing everyone for it. The root of this is the patent system is not well matched to real life.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crackbone posted:

This is all you need to know to figure out it's a turd.

If you're still thinking it might be worth a punt, note it doesn't list a spec for the screen & isn't android market google play compatible.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A towbar is a must, with a trailer I'm finally able to leave my pickup at home? :suicide:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

"not Corning brand Gorilla Glass" does not mean "not toughened"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Super Dude posted:

The only touch device I have where the glass broke was the one with Gorilla glass, so I don't put too much stock in it.

As a rule the toughened glass in one of these devices resists scratching, not breaking. To resist breaking it would be better laminated, such as when the manufacture glues the glass to the digitiser to the lcd etc. This makes repairs an expensive "replace the whole assembly" affair, but I've dropped my phone so many times without it breaking I'm convinced if the 5" glass slab wasn't glued together it would have shattered no end of times now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you want to charge a whacking great big battery you can do it fast at high voltage (proprietary charger) or slow at low voltage (usb standard)

Unless there's a standard high-er voltage system you use in a bunch of appliances in your house already?

hint: mains electric plus bulky transformers. At the moment these transformers are in your proprietary wall wart, putting them in your tablet would add size & weight.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thats pretty lovely. I would return it for something else, no way I'd put up with that for the life of the device.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

ClubmanGT posted:

but logic also said that Samsung wouldn't release another Galaxy Tab with a worse screen and no hardware upgrades and exactly the same form factor either.

What planet are you on? This is exactly the poo poo samsung has been pulling.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

And again I ask, why not have the good camera facing the user, if videochat is the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

TildeATH posted:

New product? I think they're announcing a new religion. I'm totally ready to convert to ASUSism.

Man... I spent five minutes trying to think of an ASUS GPS/religion joke, and I couldn't. I just couldn't.

*warning, will not help you find god.