Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This probably isn’t the best place but is there a thread or place where I can bitch about the google nest hub? Because lol I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LastInLine posted:

My wife likes hers but we also only paid $50. What don't you like about it?

Well I got it because I got an email from YouTube tv saying you could watch it on there but you can’t?

Also you can’t really interact with anything from YouTube? Like I can tell google to like a video but I can’t see my subscribed channels or save a video for later.

It’s a nifty little screen but it doesn’t seem like you can do much with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It works just like a cast target so you can cast to it but you'll have to do all interaction on the device you initiate from.

Yeah I can’t cast to it for some reason. Just seems weird you can’t interact with the YouTube content in any real way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

Yep, the 2019 HD10 is currently $99.99 for Black Friday. Also chiming in to say if you own a previous generation Fire tablet, you can trade it in (shipping label provided) for variable gift card credit an additional 20% off any new Fire tablet purchase. I got a 2019 Fire HD10 for $14.99 before tax after signing up for an Amazon Store Card which gave me $60 credit, and got an additional $10 credit + the 20% off from trading in an old 2015 Fire 7 tablet.

This isn’t a bad deal. I’ve got an older fire tablet laying around.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

I need to find a good cheap tablet for reading and some mobile gaming\plex watching. I feel like a $500 tablet is a bit overkill for me. Is the Fire OK? I remember reading somewhere it doesn't allow Google's App store?

Yeah the Fire would be perfect for that.

We should be getting an updated Fire10 sometime soon though so you might want to wait for that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

They always put the Fires on hella sale for Black Friday, too, which is coming up pretty soon. I think I paid under $100 for my Fire HD10.

Yeah that too.

I’m waiting for the 2020 version to come out before I get one. The 19 is ok but the 20 should see some good gains for the price.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

Where did you see they're coming out with a 2020 version?

Well they updated the 8 with a 2020 version and the 10 is still on the 19 so it’s only a matter of time.

Probably before thanksgiving I’d say.

It’s not 100% guaranteed but I’d be shocked if they didn’t do it since that’s been the trend so far.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Just use the Toolbox to install the Play Store and treat it like a Google device instead. Is there any particular reason you're wanting to sideload everything?

Yeah just do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XRo8SFdmvc

There's also ways to disable all the amazon stuff and it turns into a normal android tablet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like the issue with that space on the android side is that the phones are nearly that size so there isn’t a whole lot of demand for that sized tablet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

black.lion posted:

So I have a Nanit camera for my newborn, and while I can watch the camera and do the things on my phone, I want to have a dedicated tablet to use around the house as a "baby monitor" - basically all it needs to be able to do is run the Nanit app, and everything else is cherries on top - generally looking at Galaxy tablets bc I have other Samsung Galaxy stuff and it all works p good. Just want a cheap one that gets the job done, but idk anything abt tablets so I'm open to whatever.

Without outside influence I'd buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094Q89NKH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Is there a reason I should look at any other tablet for this use case?

Just get the cheapest fire tablet for like $50 or whatever it is these days.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also I’m pretty sure you can get rid of them pretty easy on these new ones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

black.lion posted:

Fire Tablets are Android? Bc the app I need to use is on the Android app store

Yeah and it doesn’t take long to get things up and running either.

https://youtu.be/Z9vwFKoFcLo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You're going to hate this, but just get an iPad. Seriously.

I was going to suggest this but Instagram doesn’t have a native iPad app (fuckin dumb) so that could be the only downside.

Beyond that I’d have to echo the above poster.

It will just work with very little hassle.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I feel like in the $100 range the Fire devices are the go to right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hyped posted:

Does anyone know of a cheapish place to replace the screen on an iPad pro 11" 3rd gen?

Apple.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Thinking about replacing my Fire HD 10. Any suggestions sub-$300 with decent build quality? The Fire has been an absolute tank, which I've needed for the various times I've dozed off and dropped it.

Maybe the new fire?

https://www.theverge.com/23730409/amazon-fire-max-11-tablet-price-hands-on

Seems pretty ok tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. An ad for that got me thinking, but I was just seeing if anything else fit the bill, or if I wait for the new fire to hit a sale.

I feel like it’s gonna be hard to beat that $229 price tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Is the Fire Max 11 able to sideload the play store?

Thanks!

Afaik yeah