Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Craptacular! posted:

With the Primes in stock all of a sudden lately, I might make the jump but I'm really nervous between it and an iPad.

Is there any way I can browse the (web) Market or something to see what kind of apps are designed for the tablet? My mother owns an iPad and given how long it took some apps like friggin' Facebook to build a native/optimized app for that machine, I'm afraid the tiny minority of Android tablets are probably ignored by developers.

There aren't a remarkable number of dedicated Android tablet apps. Most normal android apps automatically scale up and still look pretty good, with the exception of apps that use a lot of graphics in their UI (as those graphics can't be scaled up.. only zoomed in etc. Apps ported over from iphone are notorious for this). This is a list of featured tablet apps, but other than that, I am not sure if there is a way to filter to only tablet-specific apps.

To Prime owners:
So now that winter break has ended for a lot of colleges, has anyone with a Prime gotten any in-class or school related work done on it? Any preferred office apps? My professors often put their presentations on a networked drive that is accessible to all computers connected to the network, however, ES file explorer doesn't seem to be able to connect to them (and actually, on that note, what's the best app for viewing pptx files?)

I personally haven't found much school use for it aside from reading between classes. I imagine it would be more useful if I had a dock for it, but ASUS seems to be allergic to money or something. But anyway, that's why I'm asking. I want to know if the keyboard dock is a significant improvement (especially for productivity), because as it stands now, I'm thinking of just selling it and putting that money toward an Ultrabook or Macbook Air.

It's also worth noting that now that I am using it on campus, I am starting to run into trouble with its wifi reception. It worked fine in my house, but it often has poor reception or total signal loss on the campus WLAN, in areas where my Nexus or Powerbook G4 (don't laugh, its been good to me aside from all the nut burning) will have a good signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU