Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Frozen-Solid posted:

Still looks better than an app not optimized for a tablet on the iOS would look.

True but there probably is a tablet-optimised version for iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

What really baffles me about this is that ASUS's other products are absolutely amazing. I own an ASUS desktop, a 2nd generation EEE PC, a G-series laptop, and now the Transformer Prime. The Prime is the first product that didn't have glowing reviews before buying it.

Unfortunately they're slipping as far as netbook quality goes to - I have a not too old 1215b which has a hilariously bad keyboard and shipped with a literally unusable trackpad (easy to fix if you open the case but still inexcusable)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

eric posted:

How is Asus still in business when they make such lovely products? And why would you ever put up with a product you have to disassemble to make it functional?

Laziness mainly - it would have been an argument with the store for a refund or an up four week wait for it to be sent in and fixed. I actually used an external mouse for a while until I got annoyed enough to crack it open (yes I am a terrible consumer)

Well known problem too - guess the moral of the story is to read the read the relevant SH/SC megathread BEFORE buying rather than afterwards.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why wouldn't an Android user want to write about their tablet like that? What's wrong with things working out of the box?

What are you even talking about at this point? My A500 may be clunky and ugly but it works 100% fine out of the box, as do the Samsung honeycomb tablets I've used.

Its a big leap to say all Android tablets need loving about with to make them functional.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

E: I should clarify that I'm not trolling - I'm simply wondering how seemingly smart people do not get how hacked together these tablets are and how you can have the wool pulled over your eyes for that long. First it was "gingerbread at CES will change everything!" then it was "ICS at CES will change everything!"

How on earth does having to set up my own email mean I've bought a hacked together device?

Of course they're doing it for business, I'm not retarded. What I'm saying is that they're hitting all the right notes as a company, but at the same time pleasing their customers. What Android tablet is doing that at the moment?

Acer and Samsung for the most part. The devices just work and they work well.

I'll add that in my part of the world Apple service is sub-par - they'll try and wriggle out of their obligations under consumer law where ever possible (water sensors are their favourite excuse, and not just on tablets/phones).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Then call Asus, then try Apple. See which one works better.

Where I am you'd get fobbed off by both and have to go to the original retailer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Toady posted:

For some people, gaining a sensation of mastery over computers substitutes for the feeling of control missing in their lives. Four hours configuring a smartphone OS is considered time well-spent. Any attempt to reduce the need for "tinkering" is a direct threat to the ego and breeds resentment, especially if the attempt is popular among the same kinds of mainstream users who made them feel alienated in the first place: "You can't tell ME what to do, Steve Jobs! *huff*"

No one needs to spend four hours configuring an Android device. Full stop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Toady posted:

"That doesn't take into account if you enjoy loving around with your toys. When I spent four hours rooting, installing custom ROMs, and tweaking my phone, I did it because it was fun."

Do you have a point? You can do exactly the same thing with an iOS device IF YOU CHOOSE TO

This has NOTHING to do with Android itself.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Toady posted:

My point is that he chose to. He and others are part of a demographic of "tweakers" that Android caters to.

Explain how 'Android' caters to 'tweakers'

You can jailbreak and iOS device too and tweak to your hearts content but that doesn't mean Apple is catering to you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Here's a serious iOS v Android tablet question: digital magazines, what kind of support is out there in the Android universe? Apple is trying to clean up the App Store by collecting the various magazine clients in Newsstand, and Amazon is a big seller through the Kindle platform but for some reason won't support it's Android client, just Fire and iPad.

I haven't seen any support at all on Android. Then again on iOS the most common question about News Stand seems to be 'how do I hide it' so I don't know if they're making inroads either.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't necessarily see what is misguided about attempting to make a cheap tablet into a functioning Android device. No one expects to get the level of performance or usability you would from a real tablet but that does not mean what you end up with will be totally different.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

El Duke posted:

the first post used the typical XDA/DROID DOES marketing reasons that an iPad sucked

They are all valid criticisms, just as valid as Asus's poor customer support.

They are the very reasons why many of us own an Android device.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Matlock posted:

I'm really confused at the Acer A200's positioning. The screen looks nice, they bumped it from 1GHZ to 1.2GHZ, the back is a nice leathery vinyl texture, and there's a promise of ICS in February.

On the other hand, it has a 2MP webcam and no camera otherwise. Is the market starting to move away from rear cameras on tablets?

Have you looked at the pricing? Here the 16gb wifi only iPad, Tab 10.1 and A500 are all $799 and the original Transformer and plastic Toshiba are $699. The A200 is $449 - basically a pricing breakthrough for a real Android tablet.

As for the back camera I have an A500 and can say I've never used it. Even if the camera was good which it isn't really the form factor is too awkward. Would just use my phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Does any tablet (or phone for that matter) have a decent wifi radio?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Kynetx posted:

As much as I appreciate you being the devil's advocate here, you can't honestly say that Asus has a reputation for poo poo products. Their motherboards, laptops, etc are very well regarded. The TF-101 is very well regarded.
They jumped the gun and got what they deserved when they released a product too soon in an attempt to get a lead on other manufacturers. Everybody fucks up from time to time. Most often they learn.

The thing that worried me is they seem to be slipping as far as quality goes on their laptops/netbooks too which are getting progressively worse keyboards and starting to pick up build quality issues. I've already mentioned the trackpad issues I've had with my 1215b netbook and apparently these run across the entire 1x15 range.

E2M2 posted:

I really like the Iconia A500 I got 2nd hand. The reason why it didn't get as many people buying it was because it was $50 more than the Transformer. I had a Transformer and the screen quality just wasn't there with all the light bleeding going on. The Iconia has none of those problems, and it has full sized USB to boot.

I have an A500 too (bought cheap second hand too) - the other big minus point is how bulky and heavy it is. Also while its nice to have a hardware orientation lock switch it'd be nice if they spent an extra couple of cents making it less lovely feeling. Aside from that its all good, and if they haven't stuffed up the A200 it'd make for really good buying at its price point.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Have you seen any of the Acer A50x tablets? The resolution on my old 500 was pretty terrible but I have nothing to compare it against so I'm not sure if that's the norm or not.

Yeah unfortunately its par for the course - current 10" 1280x800 tablets look terrible beside even WVGA phones.

Look at an iPad next to a retina display iPhone the difference is even more obvious.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

donglelord posted:

Yea, you can do hard OS version checks or package res files for different screen sizes.

The Awful Android app is a good example of this - I think later versions even include a 3rd layout targeted at Google TV.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

randyest posted:

grab a pdf from, for example, http://fullcirclemagazine.org/ and YouTube a video of loading it and changing pages? android tablets.

I only get .epub and .mobi options from that site and they're tiny

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

randyest posted:

Thanks! That'd be interesting especially if you can cap it and youtube it.

This is going to be a bit difficult to see as I only have a terrible point and shoot to take videos on.

Acer A500 with stock 3.2 and Adobe Reader - I'd say its janky but usable but you be the judge: http://youtu.be/bfXP9UEESWA

Note when you scroll too fast it takes a while to render the new page, and when you zoom it initially shows a low res preview before sharpening it up properly (you can kind of see this at about 20s in when I zoom in on the grid with the Xs and Os)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Didn't HC have hardware acceleration as well? People were still reporting problems with that on the last page. Or are you talking about something else?

ICS on my phone (Nexus S) seems significantly smoother than HC on my tablet (A500). Sure the tablet is pushing a bunch more pixels but its definitely much more powerful hardware-wise so fingers crossed for the ICS release.

Speaking of which is there any word on when Acer may do their ICS release? Most of the stuff I've seen has said 'January 2012' which obviously didn't happen.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I can say that I can't imagine myself being unhappy with the PDF experience, even if all I used the tablet for was PDFs.

I think most of the complaints are from people comparing to how well it works on iOS.

Taken in isolation or compared to a Windows netbook it actually works pretty well IMO.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Toady posted:

What I'm getting at is that intentionally taking something in isolation, or intentionally comparing it to something that's worse, simply to avoid having to compare it to something that's better doesn't make the criticism invalid.

Just because X is a worse experience than Y doesn't mean X is necessarily a bad experience

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ScottyJSno posted:

Is the Acer Iconia Tab A500 all that bad? and is the USB port only good for fat32?

It definitely works with NTFS volumes too, at least on the stock firmware (currently 3.2)

The main issue I have with my A500 is sheer heft - its on the chubby side even for a fairly early Honeycomb tablet. Some build issues too, flimsy microSD slot cover, cruddy feeling orientation lock switch but these are pretty minor in the scheme of things.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Samsung makes about a trillion different phones and tablets, of which very few have a stylus. This is a key difference between Samsung and Apple - every product Apple releases is fairly significant while Samsung fires out variation after variation most of which are forgotten immediately.

Suggesting that they're becoming reliant on a stylus is pretty dumb at this point.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Toady posted:

Surely you don't actually believe styluses are a popular iPad accessory.

They are reasonably popular, widely available and cheap so people do buy them.

Whether or not they're useful is another matter, screen protectors are even more popular and probably more useless.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Which version of the Galaxy Tab? (original or a newer one)

I don't have that issue on my 3.2 A500

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

I still dream of the day that I have a lightweight tablet that can run onenote (or something as good as onenote). I feel like we can be there by the end of the year though.

Not sure how functional is is, but there is a version of OneNote for Android - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.microsoft.office.onenote&feature=search_result

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Toady posted:

There's a tablet out that does this, but mentioning it riles the natives, so I'll simply say to wait for this unnamed tablet's successor before making any Android tablet purchasing decisions.

It certainly isn't the only one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rastor posted:

The difference being, ICS is not a slow horrible buggy mess.

While Honeycomb isn't exactly the fastest performing thing around I think calling it a 'buggy mess' is a bit unfair.

Maybe its because I jumped in at 3.2 but for me Honeycomb has been exceptionally stable

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

As asked this before but didn't get a response - does any current tablet have decent wifi reception?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Glimm posted:

Define 'decent'? I use my Xoom all over my house (3 floors), my laptops (MBP/MBA/Toshiba) have no problem connecting and neither does my Xoom.

I mean on par with a cheap laptop/netbook.

I live in quite a large flat and its extremely noticeable, my A500 and my flatmates iPads and (original) Transformers will lose reception while still inside the house while I can sit out in the yard with my netbook and still get a reasonable signal.

Edit: I should add the unibody Macbooks my flatmates have also have issues down the far end of the house, and yes we've tried a few different routers.

dissss fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 22, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

Welp, looks like you're gonna need to replace that with a ICS native (or other) tablet when it comes out. Don't know what to tell ya.

I'm not sure you should waste much more time on it, really. Just roll it back to the original version it had, get a new tablet, and sell it. It's going for a good price on eBay, so it might not be a bad idea to just sell it now before a bunch of new tablets appear on the scene and lower the resale price.

Seriously? Software upgrades can go wrong, it does not matter whether its Windows or OSX or iOS or Android.

Ditching a device completely because the upgrade hasn't gone smoothly is incredibly stupid advice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

To be fair though, Samsung's international stuff is fine. Its only the customized bullshit that the American carriers insist on that gently caress things up.

Yes and no.

Sure the international SGS2 should be well supported, but you can't say the same for the Galaxy R, or Galaxy S Advance or a lot of the other numerous variants.

Same thing will likely happen with their tablets

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

Not really, the only fragmentation we'll probably see is similar to the Asus Infinity having two different processors depending on whether its LTE or WiFi, other than that theres only really a few models so they'll get updated.

I think you underestimate Samsung's propensity for cranking out devices.

They're already considering variants with stylus and I'll bet we'll see different chipsets too (isn't the 10.1 2 supposed to be Exynos?) depending on demand and what they can cram in the cheapest.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Vaporware posted:

I suppose since google doesn't have any sort of meaningful control over the hardware there's no one to say "don't release that galaxy tab while it still has input lag. It makes us and you look bad."

Input lag is an Android problem - some hardware manufacturers do make it a bit worse but its always there to some extent.

Especially noticeable when trying to input text in the browser.

e. Maybe more of an app question but how the hell to I get into settings on the official Twitter app on my 3.2 A500? Alternatively if that isn't possible what are you people using for Twitter on your tablets? The desktop website is too slow, and the app/mobile website aren't formatted for tablets.

dissss fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 1, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

eric posted:

I agree with their thoughts on Windows 8 tablets. Most manufacturers will shift away from Android and move to Windows 8. You'll probably still be able to buy stuff like Craig and Audiovox tablets at CVS that run Android.

Perhaps, but I think its more likely they'll do both.

Especially Samsung.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Another point is for the average use software updates are scary, especially if they're not done in a simple OTA form.

Its even true with iOS devices, there are a significant number of people still on old versions because they don't know about/can't be bothered/don't want to update.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rastor posted:

Their problem is they're starting from scratch; WinRT wasn't even unveiled until September 2011. While people perceive the number of Android tablet apps is small, it's at least greater than zero.

It may as well be zero. Even the official Facebook and Twitter apps aren't formatted for the tablet so if MS releases with FB/Twitter integration then they're already ahead in a way.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rastor posted:

Mother of God, "bloated with ads" isn't quite accurate, is it? Flash ads layered on top of Flash ads layered on top of Flash ads. I think I saw one of the ads bite one of the other ads in the neck and then drag it off into a dark hole.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and admit performance in this scenario is less than ideal on the Transformer Prime.

That's an understatement - just tried that on my netbook (which is an E-350 running Windows so much better for Flash) and it bought it to its knees.

Ghetto SuperCzar - when did you last try on the Touchpad? Perhaps those sites have loaded up with adverts since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I thought samsung already announced their tablets. The 300 and 700.

Doesn't mean they can't immediately do another one.

Remember the original (fat) Galaxy Tab 10.1? No one else does because the revised (slim) 10.1 came out very soon after.