Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It does seem that Asus are just not ready for the volumes of the tablet market.

In other news I'm legitimately amazed that my cheap, second hand, no warranty Acer A500 is still working flawlessly - Acer has such an appalling rep with PCs compared to Asus. I just hope the ICS update doesn't kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ciabatta posted:

Especially with an LTE tablet and data plan, I don't see why you'd need to pay for a separate phone, voice plan, and data plan. It would save a ton of money not to do that.

However it works out being implemented you can bet it'll be set up so you can't save a ton of money. Carriers just do not want that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Personally I'd look at the Acer A200.

The areas where it skimps (compared to a more expensive Android tablet) are fairly insignificant and its certainly cheap.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Janin posted:

Terry Pratchett

Yes but a tablet is not a pair of boots and is not going to last you ten years under any circumstances no matter how much you spend

The other options, especially the iPad 2, are still perfectly viable if not nearly as cool as the new iPad

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

No, a tablet could last more than 10 years. It's not the tablet that's going to wear out, it's you.

There is no way any current tablet is going to be of any use that far down the line. Ten years is a long time for tech - go and check how usable a G4 Powerbook is today.

You can expect an iPad 3 to last a year longer than an iPad 2 not any more than that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

A cheap tablet may still technically function and continue to function for years, but well, you probably won't be too happy with how it functions when you get it, not to mention a year or two done the line.

This issue is you are including low end Android 4 tablets and the iPad 2 in the 'you probably won't be too happy with how it functions when you get it, not to mention a year or two done the line' category.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah, I am. Do you really think someone is going to be very satisfied with their iPad 2 now compared to the iPad 3 when they only save $100?

Yes, many people will be.

To be honest you sound like one of those ridiculous camera gear whores like you get on certain other boards - oh noes my 5DII is useless now the 5DIII is out.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You're forgetting newer OS updates that creep in and slowly make older devices run a bit slower. You and I might be smart enough to research and avoid updating, but most people aren't like us.

That's an Apple thing anyway - I don't think I've run into a single update that has made performance slower over on Android*

* Yes I'm aware some manufacturers botched the updates of their skinned devices, that's another issue entirely.

dissss fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 12, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

He said "computer" not "netbook"; why yes, the Nook is the top of the line 7" form factor Android-derivative tablet released by a major book retailer. See how that's a little disingenuous?

But that isn't what the quoted post said at all - it said any sub $500 computer is going to be an outdated piece of poo poo which is ridiculous

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yep, and that true statement includes all netbooks.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a modern E-350 or E-450 netbook, they're perfectly fast enough for pretty much any type of non-gaming usage and even have surpsingly good battery life.

Go and check out the netbook megathread in SH/SC and you'll see plenty of goons who are perfectly satisfied with netbooks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Toady posted:

The market has spoken: it doesn't.

Some of it does. That is why Android tablets are selling in small to moderate numbers. Also why this thread exists.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

One of my main concerns about the price is that lowering costs might result in a lovely display running at 1024x600. If they can put a nice IPS panel at 1280x800 and a decent enough SoC to drive all those pixels then they're well on their way to a decent tablet.

I agree about not sacrificing resolution, but to be quiet honest I'm fine with a non-IPS LCD if its going to keep the prices down significantly.

e. Also leave the useless rear camera off. Even if its a good one (which it usually isn't) its an unecessary and stupid feature.

dissss fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 16, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

No, if you want Ice Cream Sandwich, you have to buy the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, which is basically the same but with a worse camera and different styling.

Do we actually have that confirmed?

I thought that model was in line for 4.0, it was the fat 10.1v that was abandoned.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The other 'thick with USB port' option is the Acer A200/A500. Both should be available incredibly cheaply second hand.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

DeceasedHorse posted:

That Acer tablet last looks interesting, good specs and it is actually priced cheaper than an ipad; I wonder what the catch is?

The screen.

I'll bet they're using the same panel as in my A500 which while perfectly usable isn't quite as good as the old iPad let alone the new one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

So apparently the ICS update for my A500 has slipped to the 17th of May (was supposed to be 'April')

Seriously tempted to grab a cheap iPad 2 and forget about Android on the tablet side

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Although I haven't had any real stability or hardware problems on the Acer A500 I'm typing this on I pretty much agree

Unless you are really keen on Android, want a feature not available on iOS/iPad and don't mind putting up with some stuttering then you should just buy whatever iPad fits your price range best.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Of course, the android community wants it both ways: People who bitch should install any variety of the roms to fix their problems, and then blame the problems on the roms when they turn out to be terrible.

No one is saying that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The $250 Tab 2 7.0 seems pretty tempting. I just find it weird that the CPU and camera specs are lower than the 7.0 Plus.

Its just what Samsung does - they'll slap together a bunch of different combinations of parts depending on what they can get cheap supplies of.

Have a look at all the various variants of the mid/high end Galaxy phone models - you get Exynos or TI cpus, AMOLED or LCD etc

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

nickhimself posted:

This is horrible build quality.

The restarting thing is, but the ports getting wonky after a while is normal with anything if you're not careful especially the headphone port.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

A headphone jack should not fail unless you are trying to support the device by the headphone jack.

Maybe they shouldn't but in my experience they often do. Its easy to get the cable tangled up in something which causes a lot of stain on the port.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Henry Meowlins posted:

I've never had a headphone jack fail on any device I've owned over the years, and I've had someone accidentally kick one in my laptop that snapped part of the plug inside. Once I got the broken plug out of the socket, everything is fine and dandy again. I suppose if it had been a cheap plastic laptop, then it probably would have done more damage, but the aluminum construction of my current machine pretty much precludes that.

If your headphone cable was slightly stronger then the jack would have been the thing to give - exactly this happened to my flatmates MacBook Pro which is probably about as well built as any other laptop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Henry Meowlins posted:

Mine is also a MBP.

My point is in your case the plug failed. If you used a different cable it could well have been the jack that gave first, just like in the case I mentioned.

Really someone (Apple) needs to come up with a magsafe connector that can carry audio/data.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

tecnocrat posted:

Same here. I use my Iconia every day and have been waiting for the ICS push to happen. It's amazing how fast this thing runs now.

Hasn't been pushed to mine yet and I'm getting impatient

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

tecnocrat posted:

To use a phrase reserved for OS X upgrades, everything feels snappier. I'm not even getting the usual keyboard lag. It just flies.

How is the browser? I hope its at least as good as my Nexus S (it better be, it does have a dual core CPU). Browser performance is my single biggest 3.2 A500 complaint.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ICS on the A500 is very nice indeed - big improvement especially in the browser.

If you have one and haven't been pushed the OTA yet I recommend going over to XDA and grabbing the update.zip.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Has ICS been confirmed for the 7 Plus yet? Even if its been promised I wouldn't buy until you are certain it'll get the update.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah the USB port on the a500 works fine for that. Note having a disk drive dangling from the tablet is very far from ideal from a usability standpoint - usually I'd copy the files temporarily into internal memory (or a microsd card) and unplug the external disk before viewing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Most of this support discussion has been from an American perspective - It is worth noting that support on products will differ depending on what part of the world you are in, what consumer laws apply and where you buy the product from.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I think the 3G radio costing so much more is more of a 'because we can' thing than actual added costs.

As for decontented tablets you could look at the Acer A500 vs the A200 - the A200 lost the rear camera, light sensor, GPS, some internal storage and metal body of the A500 and sold for about 1/2 to 2/3rds its price (at least initially before Tegra 2 became irrelevant)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

randyest posted:

Why is that normal and why/how would a thing get faster or less laggy / stuttery over time?

Android tends to get stuttery when its syncing stuff or updating apps in the background.

When you first put your Google account into a new Android device it syncs all kinds of stuff (including your Contacts, Calendar, Picasa web albums, Browser bookmarks etc) and a lot of the shipped apps will immediately require updating.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Why is this acceptable, why should a user have to gently caress with performance options.

No one is arguing what is and isn't acceptable, just what is happening and some possible things to try.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Which version of the Galaxy Tab are we talking about because Chrome requires ICS.

I've found Chrome to be incredibly slow on Tegra 2 class hardware anyway although it is stable

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Kazy posted:

I still wouldn't recommend any ASUS tablet. If they had some sort of Advanced Replacement for RMA, I would, but the horror stories I've heard just make it a definite "no". You probably won't have an affected device, but if you do, you'd want a quick turnaround time.

Depends on your local consumer laws I guess - where I am the retailer is responsible for either getting your device repaired or providing a replacement or refunding your money. Admittedly its still a pain in the arse to deal with lovely electronic store employees but here Apple is no different in that regard (Apple products are sold by third parties).

Anyway I'm strongly considering a TF300 + dock just because my netbook (an Asus) has such a terrible screen compared to pretty much any tablet and its just jarring going back to it now i have a decent IPS display on my desktop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ClubmanGT posted:

Samsung:

PB Tech NZ has product pages for the Galaxy Tab 2 in their tablets section. The 3G 16GB 10.1 in silver is listed at $851.00 inc GST and with stock expected 'Mid June'. They seem to have some stock of the Wi-Fi only model at the logistics centre already.

That price seems insane to me especially when the wifi only version is ~$560 from the same site.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Octopode posted:

It seems doubly odd for a device from Asus, since it doesn't make much sense for a device like the Transformer series not to support a landscape resolution.

I think it's more likely a choice specifically for the Nexus tablet, and not necessarily a JB "feature"

I'd hope that some of the tablet ICS > JB changes are targeted specifically at the 7" or smaller screen size.

I have a 10" ICS tablet and I don't think the launcher and bottom bar changes make a lot of sense at that size, especially the lack of landscape home and horizontally centered soft buttons down in the bottom bar. Actually I'mm not even sure the phone style top notification shade is an improvement but I'd have to use it myself to decide on that one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Some sort of image persistence is going to be unavoidable on IPS displays. We'll just have to see how bad it really is on the shipping units.

Is this specific to very high dpi displays? I definitely haven't seen any image retention on my ips desktop monitors or television.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

randyest posted:

How so? Isn't the consensus that tablet-specific apps are unnecessary and even undesirable, since android just scales up phone apps so well, effectively making them universal and avoiding the need to pay for the same app twice (one for phone one for tablet?) Didn't some google exec flat out say as much? Where are you hearing about lots of developers getting into making tablet-customized apps?

Android apps can have a tablet and phone version in the same apk, this is what is desirable. No one is saying scaled phone apps are the way to go , although I can see how they'd be less offensive at 7" than 10

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The largest improvement that can't be stated enough is how smooth everything is.

I wonder how well it carries over to older, less powerful hardware?

ICS was a massive smoothness upgrade on both my tablet (A500) and phone (Nexus S) so I'm going to be blown away if its anything like as big a jump again. Not that I expect the A500 to get JB officially of course.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

randyest posted:

You are correct and I really wasn't trying to rehash that; I was lamenting the lack of android apps using the third method: an actual tablet specific app.

You can have a tablet specific layout without needing a tablet specific app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I think you have to change your dpi so it gives you tablet apps.

From the Awful App theread

Geekner posted:

I AM ANGRY, ANGRY ABOUT DPI HACKS.

Seriously though, I was working on a solution for in-between tablets like the Fire and now the Nexus 7. If you hack the DPI it completely screws up font calculations and layout stuff. So I won't fix whatever you ran into here.

So yeah you can try hacking the DPI but don't expect everything to work properly