Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been pretty happy with my Kindle fire HD 8 after I got the play store, launcher hijacker, and nova launcher. Posting from it right now, actually. I do have to occasionally reboot it when loading anything starts taking forever (presumably a memory leak somewhere).

Did also get an elastic hand strap to hold it one handed easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Alder posted:

Is there a <$200 tablet in the 8" size that's not a Kindle Fire? I used to be able to sideload the play store but now that's a pipe dream due to reasons (I've tried all the solutions). I never realized how much I missed it until I couldn't install more than half my apps due to lack of support.

Currently the only way I can sideload apps on my Kindle Fire is via adb. It requires enabling developer options on the Kindle, and installing the Android development kit. To be fair, I haven't tried since the latest FireOS update, but it was still working as of the previous update.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Looks like this weekend I'm downloading Android Studio. Amazon really, really wants you to use their lovely launcher on their tablets and have blocked Launcher Hijacker, so currently the only way around it is to download the source, rename the dev and package name in the files, then compile it from source.

gently caress you, Bezos! Let me have Nova Launcher on your lovely tablet!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Lockback posted:

Someone with an HD8, how long does it take to boot? I have a whole car gps-tethered to my phone setup with a Nexus 7 and looking to switch out. Boot time is pretty important so I'm not sitting there staring at it while waiting for directions.

Mine takes at least a minute, I've never timed it. Also, how do you GPS-tether? I had once wanted to do that to have the bigger screen to play Pokemon Go (not that the hd8 has enough ram to support it nowadays).

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Budget Dracula posted:

Can an Android user explain the FPR lock to me? Is it truly a brick or can you in theory revert back to some older firmware and try all the accessibility magic tricks to get a web browser to pop open so you can install some shady tools to remove it? Just curious as someone gave me a SM-T280 to look at and to me it seems pointless to try much as doesn’t seem to take an OS with supported patches anyways.

The frp lock just requires you to log in as the previous user, in order to prevent thieves from taking lost or stolen phones, factory resetting them, and selling them. The way to prevent a device you're about to reset and sell/give to someone getting stuck like this is to remove all Google accounts before you reset. So if the person who gave it to you owned it legitimately, either it's their login, or someone they know, just talk to them?