Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

SlayVus posted:

The WiFi speed in my room ranges from 20kbps to 400 kbps. I haven't tried next to the router yet.

However if i could get my laptop to share it's connection with my tfp over bluetooth i could get a constant 55-60mbps connection.

bluetooth 2.1 is only capable of a transfer rate of around 3mbps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm no qualified expert on the available tablets, but my Xoom has been awesome, and even more so with the ICS upgrade that I got yesterday.

I really don't understand why Android tablets aren't taking off. Whenever I go to trade shows or conferences, all of my iPad-wielding colleagues marvel over my Xoom. With my entire life on Google, and especially on Android 4.0, I can dual-wield my GNex and Xoom like the liquid-metal extensions of my body that they are.

It's always funny when I get irritated that there's an iPad app for a streaming video website, but not an Android one. I always feel stupid when I realize I can watch that poo poo in the browser like I'm on a normal laptop

you say they marvel over your Xoom. What are the specific advantages they cite? Also, you're not having issues with flash implementation in ICS?

Also, unrelated, why are you "dual-wielding" a phone and a tablet? Not understanding why this would be necessary.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Glimm posted:

Personally I'll "dual wield" my phone and tablet to share 4G from my phone to the tablet.

Yeah, but you're not using them at the same time, correct? That seemed to be the implication of Fryhtaning.

Then again what he said sounded like copy from a shooting script for a VZW Droid commercial, so who knows, maybe he meant it literally.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 20, 2012

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Shorter Than Some posted:

Why? people buy up cheap bikes or cars to fix up all other sorts of things, if it's a good deal (even after factoring in time spent) and does what you need it to then what exactly is the problem?
this analogy doesn't work. People don't buy old POS cars to fix them up so they have a fully working POS car in the end. They buy cars to restore them to former glory. Same with bikes. People don't waste their time loving with stuff that was poo poo in the first place. They repair quality to bring it back to quality.

quote:

Also did you even read those posts? none of them said that lovely tablets are great tablets when rooted, they just said they are good value for the price if all your looking for is a reader(which, in case my post was the one you didn't read was what I claimed people were saying), hell one of them even advised against buying one so I don't have any clue why you put that quote up there.
if all you want is a reader? Why would you get anything aside from eInk for reading? And even if not, why would you need to root something like a Nook Color or Kindle Fire to make it an adequate reading device? That's a main function out of the box.

quote:

Nobody has called it a hobby, I don't like the procedure bit, but I do like tailoring it to my needs, I still wouldn't call it a hobby.
Multiple people have said it's something they do in their spare time for fun.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Ciabatta posted:

If you read things with color, e-ink isn't going to cut it.
like children's books or some textbooks? I guess, though I don't think textbooks in digital form are viable yet (until iBooks 2 gets in full swing, I guess), and don't you lose the enhanced children's books on the Nook when you root?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

ModestMuse posted:

Yeah, it's great having the iOS fanboys poo poo up the thread and let us stupid Android users know how great it is:

- no form of expandable memory
- no standard HDMI-out
- using 4:3 screen to watch movies
- having home screens that are just app drawers with folders
- no flash when web browsing
- no USB support

iOS is great, and all the things I listed are stupid features that nobody wants. All hail Apple. They know what's best for us.

Eugene Jerome posted:

I really like this thread and the previous thread, and it depresses me when it gets closed because the Apple nuts can't stop being faggots.

Your overpriced, oversized iPod is cool. Just let us chill in this thread, k?

This is XDA level posting. It's post like these that are what gets the thread closed, not "Apple nuts being faggots." The fact that they weren't called out (or were called out on semantics and not for the fact that they were just truly awful posts) makes it even worse. Most people weren't even discussing iOS products, but the mere fact that someone would dare criticize the customer service policies of Asus or the general misguided attempts at making $150 "digital readers" into Android tablets must mean they're trolling Apple fans. And then we get posts like those.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Ok, so, any discussion involving android tablets in the android thread must:

1) Mention ipads since they are "current #1 market leader" or whatever that one guy was saying in his complaint post.
1a) Not be allowed to mention any negatives of the ipad when comparing them to android tablets.

Noted.

Why do ipad users come to the android tablet thread again? Other then to shitpost?

We don't care about your ipad, how hard is this to grasp folks. Jesus-tapdancing-christ.

the first post used the typical XDA/DROID DOES marketing reasons that an iPad sucked; it could have been a comment on a Gizmodo iPad article. The second called Apple fans "faggots." These are bad posts. I don't give a gently caress about what you should or shouldn't mention in a post.

And yes, you very clearly care about the iPad.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Look at the post above yours. I really don't. All I'm trying to do is discuss the latest android tablet, in the android tablet thread. Oddly enough, this doesn't exist in the android phone thread. Go figure.

Android phones have a clear market with a lot of different options available. There are several top tier/flagship devices, and many of the devices don't need to be modified to work out of the box (if you don't count root). Compare it to this thread where at least 25% of the content (and possibly more in the previous incarnation) is about modifying devices to change their out of the box function, and the post content is going to be a lot different. Add to that the current state of the Android tablet market and everything gets a lot more defensive. People coming in and talking about the many QA issues they have with their Prime are met with "WELL MINE WORKED FIND OUT OF THE BOX DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU! THESE AREN'T TYPICAL PROBLEMS" like it was a personal attack on their device. People who say they don't see why they would need a dock on their tablet are told "WELL IT FITS MY NEEDS PERFECTLY MAYBE YOU AREN'T THE ONLY MARKET HUH?" like they'd gone beyond stating a personal preference and were trying to tell everyone else what they SHOULD like.

This doesn't happen in the Phone thread because people don't get defensive the second you bring up an iPhone. In fact, people don't get defensive the minute you bring up a failing in an Android phone. Because at this point, in this thread, criticism of Android tablets gets interpreted as support and advocacy of iPads. That doesn't happen in the phone thread, so it never devolves like this one. There is an 800 pound gorilla in the tablet world that almost always has to be discussed in one way or another in comparison to other tablets because it has such a dominant presence, both in market share and mind share. To act like it shouldn't ever be mentioned, or that mentioning it is immediate dismissal and criticism of Android is ridiculous.

Eugene Jerome posted:

I just saw your avatar - is Apple-loving like your gimmick or something?
A very mature Android user like yourself blessed me with this and I thank him every day, because it's awesome. It quickly and conveniently expresses to all others my membership in the Apple cult as well as my desire to have few choices, except in my numerous sex partners.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Well then, person to person, why do you personally feel the need to come into the android tablet thread all the time to constantly restate your opinions on androids flaws? Commission? brand loyalty? Some kind of duty to all tablet users of the world?

Please, feel free to word this in a 750 word essay.

click the ?, see how many flaws I constantly talk about in the thread. That goes for you, too, Eugene, to see how I've been "making GBS threads up" the thread.

Eugene Jerome posted:

I have no words.
you could try "faggots" again.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Welp looks like Amazon is getting a return on my TF201 that just arrived.

you know if this is what makes you return something you're never going to keep a tablet, right?

e:f,b.
e2, after reading this:

hotsauce posted:

Yes with a Q2 rumor for release. I guess if my new TF201 that just arrived had working wifi and no dead pixels I would keep it. Sadly it seems to be defective like many others.

If wifi would stay connected long enough to download ICS maybe it will fix itself. It's becoming a chore. The dead / bright pixels are a deal breaker though.

"This tablet is having tons of issues and I'm thinking about returning it so I can buy the next version of this tablet."

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 3, 2012

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The TF201 has 2 specific issues that stem from a design flaw which is remedied in the TF700T or whatever their part numbers are.

and a ton of QA problems that stem from Asus being Asus that aren't getting remedied.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Pretty much this. I love this tablet but fear its the ugly duckling of the Transformer brand. It just came out and I had to F5 amazon for days until it finally came in stock when I purchased two days ago. I know there is always another tablet on the horizon and I'm cool with that. I just don't understand how this Prime was released and remains so hot with all the issues it has (none of which have been officially acknowledged by Asus nor are resolutions planned).

Its as if the fixes are being rolled into the next version effectively screwing the current TF201 owners. That's a hard pill to swallow for a product that is still flying off the shelves.

I may return it and suck it up while I wait in the next version. That's a shame because so far minus the issues I have it's pretty much tits.

but if you're having manufacturing issues, why would you wait for something from the same... never mind.

And it's hot because it's the first (and currently only) Tegra 3 tablet with an official ICS build, and it's only hot in relative terms, at that.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

You guys who have Costco cards might get a kick out of this. Pretty sure its instore only, but a friend of mine's dad just picked this up. Because I wasn't there I'm not clear on all the details:
- Acer Iconia A500 for 1 cent
- Not sure about the monthly limit, maybe 1gb? Can be upgraded
- I believe like their 1 cent phone offer that you pay GST/HST on the 'real' price of the tablet and there's probably a setup fee
- Provider is either Roger's or Primus, not sure
- In Canada, no idea if US is doing it

Basically you're spending $480 plus tax, though it is at $20/mo. So I guess you can either see it as a slightly more pricy tablet ($449 at Costco) that you pay for monthly with free dataplan, or an expensive dataplan that gives you a free tablet, I'm not sure which.

this is an awful idea.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Ciabatta posted:

And yet better than any other tablet+data plan. Don't get a tablet+data plan. Do carriers in the U.S. let you switch new hardware onto a tablet data plan? They don't, do they?

if you were in the middle of a contract, you could switch another device onto that line, but you'd have to change the plan to suit whatever type of device it was (smartphone, dumbphone, datacard, etc). This is only some carriers, VZW at least. Others may operate differently than that.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Ciabatta posted:

Ah, alright. Good to know. I read somewhere that wasn't the case, which would make them that much worse. Committing to keeping a 7" Galaxy Tab running 2.3 for two years :stare:

getting a tablet on a two year contract is a bad idea no matter what, really.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I just knew I was going to rue the day that I would walk into an Apple store and reluctantly ask for an iPad. The smug douche of an Apple employee that I imagined would grin and offer me AppleCare, and I would just hate it all.
you have something wrong with you.

quote:

Also, games on Android are awesome:

this game is also on the iPad. And to elaborate on the "app magnifying glass", there's now somewhere in the hundreds of thousands of apps for the iPad that are either iPad specific or universal and have their own iPad version. It really is a rare occurrence now that any app ever needs to be scaled. I'm glad you're enjoying your tablet, but your perception of the iPad is way off.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Rastor posted:

Dear Apple fans:

We are not impressed by your ability to buy separate iPad-specific versions of your apps. In the Android ecosystem, every app runs on every form factor, which means we don't have to buy our apps twice.

Love,

The Android Tablet Thread
I can post ill informed comments based on either out dated information or gross exaggeration too:
You're an android user: you never paid for the app in the first place.
OR
You're using android: obviously you aren't impressed by apps.

Pick one.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I have to agree that I wouldn't care about paying twice for an app that was properly formatted. But decent scaling makes it so that an app that was developed in some teenager's basement while high doesn't look like total loving garbage until the end of time.
why would you give a poo poo about an app like that in the first place?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Also, this:

is a dick thing to say. My reasons are valid because they're my reasons. Are you seriously trying to tell me my opinion is "false"? :rolleyes:
No, your opinion isn't false. What you said you based your opinion on is false. iTunes isn't this clunky thing you're making it out to be anymore. (There also should be no reason you'd need to restore a Mac formatted iPod from OS X instead of Windows to make it work, as well, but whatever). I haven't managed my iPhone in iTunes since the final betas of iOS5. There's just no need anymore. On top of that, there's this irrational fear people seem to have of iTunes, like it's this impossible software that ruins lives merely by opening. It's just a program you manage your media with. Instead of dragging a file into your Kindle folder on your Android phone, you drag the files into the Kindle app sharing pane in iTunes. Etc, etc. It's just really not the issue you're making it out to be, especially since iOS5 untethered everything, so that makes your reasoning false, even if your opinion technically can't be.

Also this:

quote:

Dude, seriously; I already own an Android tablet that I like, and you clearly don't and don't intend to, so what's your stake in this thread? Why are you here?
isn't going to magically make people go away.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

donglelord posted:

Justin.tv/Twitch.tv doesn't have a htlm5 site. Only reason I still like flash. Been thinking of trying to make an Adobe Air app to fix that though.

Your cable provider has to support it too I think. I always have to log into my Time Warner account when I use this anyways. Funny thing is Watch ESPN is a flash app and requires adobe air

https://market.android.com/details?id=tv.justin.android.viewer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsInR2Lmp1c3Rpbi5hbmRyb2lkLnZpZXdlciJd

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

I think this comparison is silly, because iOS 5 runs on the 3GS about as well as ICS runs on the OG Droid: with severely impaired functionality.

this is entirely false.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

You mean ICS runs without any functionality issues on the OG Droid? Because that'd be cool, in which case you're right, that's not a fair comparison on my part, although it doesn't hurt the point I was trying to make about what jc821 said. Last time I read about that, I thought there were still a lot of issues. v:shobon:v

No. The 3GS runs iOS5 fine. In many cases it runs better than it did on 4.3. The OG Droid is still poo poo.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Oh, I see. I'll tell my wife that, she'll be happy to hear that stuff like background processing not working and the notifications that rely on background processes crashing her phone have magically disappeared overnight. Thanks for the heads-up, she was hating it yesterday! :tipshat:

Sounds like your wife's phone is broken. Should probably get it checked out.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Crackbone posted:

No, you're trying to sugar coat a bad product because of the confirmation bias of getting a good one. Tell me, what's an acceptable failure rate to you, as long as you get a good one? How exactly is the average Joe supposed to know how to get a "2nd batch" tablet? The horror stories about Asus support are pretty well documented as well (including the insult of having to PAY SHIPPING to send back their straight-out-of-the-factory defective poo poo).

This is a loving $500 piece of hardware - we're not talking about a $5 DealExtreme calculator here, this is a half a grand piece of kit from a supposedly premiere manufacturer. Maybe because of all this it makes more sense to not reward the company that beta-tested their product on early adopters (see: TF300), and wait for another company to deliver a product that was built properly from square one.

well, to be fair, no one ever considered Asus a premiere manufacturer.

(cue examples of motherboards and cheap plastic netbooks as endorsements of their past record of quality in the consumer electronics world)

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Its going on ebay tonight as I have ordered an iPad. I'm done with this thing.

you're aware you can't use the iPad as a phone, right?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

The Angry Spaniard posted:

So you'd rather put a defective product for sale on eBay? Isn't that like being a total douche?

"Here, have this Transformer for some bux. Oh, by the way, it's faulty. You'll have to ship it to Asus if you want it to actually work, haha!"

Even if Asus RMA department blows, you might as well try, and then sell it afterwards, duh.

there's a non-zero chance you'd end up with nothing to sell after you sent it to them.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

It might actually come back worse from RMA.

Or not come back at all.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

My friend at work is willing to buy my ipad2 for $450, should I keep it or sell it and get a a510?

which version is it? If you're getting $450 on certain models that's a pretty good offer and you should consider jumping on it (and then using that money to buy an iPad 3).

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

got dat wmd posted:

It's probably worth keeping or getting the new iPad if only for the sunk cost of your purchased iOS apps.

plus accessories, since almost everything 2 works on the new iPad, aside from a few things here and there.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

b0nes posted:

I guess I will have to play around with both. My initial impression of the iPad was good. I just don't like how you can't really customize it. All I see is a big evenly spaced grid of icons.

the intent of iPad operation is "device becomes the app." So customizing the app launcher portion of it isn't really a consideration: the apps are supposed to be its customization.

This isn't me saying this how all tablets should function. But this is how you should think about the iPad, from a customization, "big app launcher" device perspective. You're not supposed to be staring at "non-app" space for any real length of time.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Glimm posted:

I've had glitchy experiences on both platforms, the most annoying (to me) on iOS (iTunes randomly wiping devices and removing their backups). So I guess I'd recommend your mom not use any tablet device?

iTunes is pretty much out of the equation with iOS5. Also those things probably didn't happen.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

During this time I was using aTorrent to download a couple four gig torrents. They were writing to the SD card at the time.

why would you do any of this?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Wibbleman posted:

Its more that they think you just ripped a laptop/netbook in half.

then they stand up and clap and it turns into this MST3K style riff fest about the iPad.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Think you missed the best part:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm returning that this weekend though. I'm going to wait for the Galaxy Note 10.1 next. Since, you know, it has a stylus.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

The return period on my Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1 inch is almost over. I like that I can watch my old videos and read comics on it without having to re-buy them on an application, like I would have to from an iPad, but this tablet has awful memory issues.

this doesn't answer your questions but you don't have to "rebuy" anything on an iPad. There are plenty of comic/cbz readers and third party video players available to read/play whatever you already have.

But, what you're describing isn't normal, I've used an original Galaxy 10.1 that didn't even have memory issues like that.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Kynetx posted:

No, I get that ARM processors aren't powerful computationally. I'm calling your power consumption assertions into question. The math doesn't work out.

you know how he said the most powerful ARM chips aren't used in production models? The same is true for the most power hungry ones (since they're mostly the same chips). This isn't talking about the tegra 3 so stop using it as your example.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

edit: I like how if I dismiss someones baseless criticism, then I must be white knighting android. You guys realize this is the android tablet discussion thread..

his baseless criticism based on constant use of an android tablet (which I think is a transformer prime if I remember correctly).

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

I wouldn't worry about it, it's an Android device made by ASUS so it's a terrible OS on broken hardware you can't get fixed.

well yeah, kind of:

The Verge posted:

The PadFone nails the idea, but misses on the execution to the point where it feels more like a tech demo than a viable product. There are enough performance issues and app interface problems that I began to avoid using the PadFone as a tablet, and even the phone itself has some underwhelming specs for a supposedly high-end device. I want badly to be able to ditch my laptop, set up a dock at work and a tablet at home, and just carry my phone everywhere knowing I can get done whatever needs doing. The PadFone hints that we're not far from that day, but proves conclusively that it's not here yet.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/6/3064317/asus-padfone-review

Engadget posted:

This list may seem to have the basics covered and it's easy to impress your friends with the seamless video playback in the default video player, but trust us, this is far from sufficient when you consider how all other apps slap you in the face with this painful message: "Application does not support dynamic display switching and has been closed." The black list includes pretty much all Google services (e.g., Maps, Gmail, Play services, Movie Studio and YouTube); some of the pre-loaded apps like Garmin and WebStorage; popular downloads such as Facebook, Twitter and Angry Birds, and our very own Engadget app as well... what we see here is just the core of the idea, the foundation to get things started, while the rest of the product seems half-finished and doesn't yet realize its full potential... Focusing on the PadFone that's already on the market, we can't help but feel ASUS really just wanted to get it out of the way ahead of Computex.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/12/asus-padfone-review/

Though I'm sure androidandme.com or expertreviews.co.uk might have better things to say.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

this but about my penis

oh hey it's pissflaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

If I had the lifting screen issue I wouldn't get a replacement...yet.

As long as it's not irritating you, hold off for 3 months or something and then get your replacement. You'll have a better chance of getting an N7 that came off the assembly line after they fixed whatever the issue is.

at this point a lot have people have purchased them from retail stores; those people are better off returning them to the retail store and getting a new one instead of having to deal with an RMA process (regardless of Asus' customer service level). At three months they're stuck with RMAs.