Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

AppleCobbler posted:

Shut the gently caress up about the iPad, this is not the right thread or forum for this.

Do not compare Android tablets to the #1 competitor in the market! Rawr!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Uthor posted:

That doesn't take into account if you enjoy loving around with your toys. When I spent four hours rooting, installing custom ROMs, and tweaking my phone, I did it because it was fun.

Wouldn't Lego blocks be cheaper? You've completely missed the point of post-PC appliance devices.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why wouldn't an Android user want to write about their tablet like that? What's wrong with things working out of the box?

For some people, gaining a sensation of mastery over computers substitutes for the feeling of control missing in their lives. Four hours configuring a smartphone OS is considered time well-spent. Any attempt to reduce the need for "tinkering" is a direct threat to the ego and breeds resentment, especially if the attempt is popular among the same kinds of mainstream users who made them feel alienated in the first place: "You can't tell ME what to do, Steve Jobs! *huff*"

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

dissss posted:

No one needs to spend four hours configuring an Android device. Full stop.

"That doesn't take into account if you enjoy loving around with your toys. When I spent four hours rooting, installing custom ROMs, and tweaking my phone, I did it because it was fun."

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

My point is that he chose to. He and others are part of a demographic of "tweakers" that Android caters to.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

That's not a sensical point tho. He's telling you himself that only freaks like him actually do 4 hours of tweaking when they get the device.

Android's demographic is split between budget buyers and these "freaks". I was explaining to Dr. Video Games why someone like this wouldn't want a tablet to work out of the box or feel magical.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Glimm posted:

Without rooting etc it is possible to change and adjust quite a few settings and important system components on Android (like your launcher, browser, sms app, widgets). It's definitely tweaker friendly.

Not only that, but there's a culture inherently attached to it due to its basis on Linux and Google's PR department telling people that Android is for freedom fighters.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Shorter Than Some posted:

Nobody has called it a hobby, I don't like the procedure bit, but I do like tailoring it to my needs, I still wouldn't call it a hobby.

What is it if not a hobby? Joyless self-indulgence?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Apple is designing tablets as appliances, most Android manufacturers with the large exception of Amazon are designing a new mobile computing platform.

And what a success it's been so far.

People want appliances because that's the appeal of a tablet in the first place.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Vagrancy posted:

“lol skype.jpg“ seems slightly better on my Touchpad. Seems they've updated it since then. Phone in landscape for comparison:

Touchpad:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Rastor posted:

If you think being locked into a walled garden with only two aspect ratios / resolutions is a hell of a lot better for pretty much everybody, you are wrong. Objectively wrong.

More than two aspect ratios, resolutions, and other hardware capabilities makes it a pain in the rear end for me to develop for your platform.

Kynetx posted:

OK, so I know gently caress-all about app development, but I've always wondered if the soultion to the scaling headaches would be going with a vector format instead of dealing with upscaling and interpolation bullshit. poo poo, SVG is already an XML-based format and the file size is tiny.

Detailed vector art is inefficient to render and looks terrible at small sizes. Since almost all interface elements never resize as an app runs, it's more sane to provide pixel artwork. A lot of touchup work goes into the low-resolution output of a vector master. Redrawn on left, scaled on right:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

McLarenF1 posted:

First I just want to say thanks to the happy Prime owners that chimed in before the recent drama broke out.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, and on a properly built product you shouldn't even have to do stuff like this, but those of you Prime owners that are having issues, you might want to check this out; a simple possible fix for wifi and gps signal is to simply squeeze the top of your device to better engage the pogo pins to the antenna inside the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgx2Kpfi-Ps&hd=1

Death Grip 2012.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TildeATH posted:

What I don't get about Android tablets is that I expected the open source community to port everything to Android. I thought I'd get Inkscape and GIMP and OpenOffice on my tablet.

It sounds like what you want is a laptop.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

dissss posted:

I think most of the complaints are from people comparing to how well it works on iOS.

Taken in isolation or compared to a Windows netbook it actually works pretty well IMO.

The best metric is no metric?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Not sure what you're trying to get at here, my Win7 netbook (an HP Mini 10 from last year) shits the bed on my textbooks while my Nook Tablet is a peppy champ. So, that's a comparison. Since I don't want an iPad, it's pretty personally relevant; I wish I had a tablet with Bluetooth (for a keyboard) so I could stop taking the netbook to class. On the other hand, it's nice to have my textbook on another screen so I don't need to flip back and forth (and without having to keep a fat pdf open, the netbook is fine for notes).

What I'm getting at is that intentionally taking something in isolation, or intentionally comparing it to something that's worse, simply to avoid having to compare it to something that's better doesn't make the criticism invalid.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, that poo poo killed the Game Boy. ;)

The DS came out before the iPhone popularized touch screens and gestures. A stylus is an increasingly niche input method these days.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TildeATH posted:

I don't think that mouses, touchpads and styli are quite in the dustbin of history, especially for content creators.

Content creation is a specialized need. Graphic artists need drawing tablets; construction workers need dump trucks. But the stylus is drastically more niche compared to the mouse and trackpad. iPads now outsell desktop PCs--the era of the stylus is clearly over.

(Also, "styli" but not "mice"? :) )

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Kynetx posted:

iPads outsold PC's in the fourth quarter of 2012, therefore I shouldn't count on being able to get a tablet with a stylus-based digitizer? I don't follow.
If a stylus is super-niche, then why are there at least a half-dozen different models mixed in with the other iPad accessories at any given store?

The stylus isn't popular anymore (if it ever truly was). Touch input devices are outselling traditional mouse-and-keyboard desktops.

Surely you don't actually believe styluses are a popular iPad accessory.

quote:

People have preferences that differ from yours. Stop getting cranky about it.

Huh?

Toady fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 16, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

They're widely available because they're cheap to make, so cheap that you can make your own using a pen, paperclip, and sponge.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Styli aren't popular and have always been either a tool of necessity for substandard interfaces or a requirement for content creators (and not just graphic artists but people who want to write longhand without getting tendonitis in their finger). You state yourself in a later post that they aren't and were never popular, which means your whole lather about them is purely for the purpose of creating some thing to be critical of. It's typical troll behavior to create this sort of false dichotomy and then watch as people say, "Well, you know, X is useful for Y." and then you treat it like they're defending your entirely made up position that "A stylus is good and necessary for all tablet interactions!"

Someone posted that stylus support was a make-or-break factor in their next tablet purchase. Naturally, the conversation led into the relevance of styluses, which is a topic right now because of the Samsung Note. I simply responded to claims about their popularity that were citing the Nintendo DS and the existence of iPad styluses at Walmart.

quote:

And the plural of electronic mouse is mouses while the plural of stylus is styli--I would have thought a pedantic sperg like you would have known that.

"Mice" and "styluses" are correct and also more conventional. I was just teasing.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

This is what I want out of a tablet. Something I can leave on, instantly access what I need, and not bother having to shut it down or charge it every single night. Very low idle battery use is awesome.

There's a tablet out that does this, but mentioning it riles the natives, so I'll simply say to wait for this unnamed tablet's successor before making any Android tablet purchasing decisions.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

It really is bad. A mish-mashed Helvetica knock-off that exists because Helvetica can't be included in an open source OS.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Rastor posted:

No doubt Samsung will announce something with iPad 3 -ish specs.

The waiting game begins again.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

If this is the case, then why don't people just buy laptops?

Tablets are supposed to represent a move away from complexity-oriented computing. Using an iPad and using a laptop are two entirely different experiences, and not just because of the touch input.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

dissss posted:

This issue is you are including low end Android 4 tablets and the iPad 2 in the 'you probably won't be too happy with how it functions when you get it, not to mention a year or two done the line' category.

I have to agree with including those devices in that category. To use the new iPad as an example, the jump in screen resolution is a drastic increase in readability that is worth the extra $100. Six months from now, you'd be staring longingly and wishing you'd gotten on board.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

Unless you want flash support, expandable storage, 16:9 AR, HDMI out, DLNA, or USB Host support for things like this.

The market has spoken: it doesn't.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Does anyone else feel like they've been transported to the Engadget comments section? This thread has grown even more content-free than usual. I'm getting a little upset that folks occasionally discuss their Android tablets here because it makes me actually check it from time to time.

I don't see anything wrong with talking about how Android tablets might be missing the mark. That's just a reflection of reality in the face of a popular competitor. I think an Android tablet that is competitive with the iPad will be one that focuses on the main strength that tablets bring--the embrace of appliance computing and abandonment of complexity--and not on SD card slots, USB slots, Flash, etc. I think Google knows this, too.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ModestMuse posted:

Do you really think the screen just randomly cracked?? That sounds quite suspect and most likely user error.

Whoops, I dropped my gadget with a glass screen and it cracked. NEW ONE FOR FREE PLEASE!

Yours truly,
Asus Customer Support

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Looks a hundred times better now.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

We are inferior because we like Android and Android products. Have you seriously not gotten this vibe from every single YOSPOS idiot to stumble into this thread in hopes of enlightening us?

The YOSPOS thread mocks folks who justify poor-quality products and poor customer service, exert inordinate amounts of effort trying to fix something that's broken, or avoid obviously superior alternatives in pursuit of an imagined "freedom" utopia. When there are products that cost several hundred dollars with advertised features that don't work, or they have docks that weaken the glass screen until the slightest pressure cracks it, watching people rationalize it can be mind-blowing. Also, it's healthy not to take yourself or the things you like too seriously. :)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Asus isn't infringing on Hasbro trademarks with the Transformer Prime. Although, Asus had to reveal embarrassing sale stats in court filings--only 2,000 preorders last month

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This isn't the thread for iPad FUD debunking.

For sake of comparison, it should be noted that the new iPad gets just as warm as competing Android tablets under heavy use. As far as I know, "overheating" isn't an issue with any Android or iPad tablet, so temperature shouldn't be a consideration for buyers weighing their options.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

got dat wmd posted:

Can someone seriously explain the idea of buying cheap tablets with known issues and faults for the purpose of "tinkering?" I seriously don't understand it.

That class of users is made up of repressed nerds who use technology to make up for the lack of control in their daily lives. They're the ones who frame consumer electronics in terms of personal control; e.g., "I don't use iPads because I'm not interested in what Apple tells me to like."

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

I'd take an imperfect Android tablet that still functions fine over an iPad any day.

With such a low bar to aim for, these companies will never improve their products.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

For $200 they don't need to, and that still gets you a better ecosystem.

I won't comment on ecosystems as that's an ideological debate, but it's certainly not unreasonable to hold a $200 product to the standard of being assembled properly.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

Perhaps Google should provide everyone a bumper with a lip to hold down the edges.

Not interested in platform wars. Apple handing out iPhone bumpers doesn't mean it's acceptable for Nexus 7 screens to detach just because they're $200.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I like how a slight miss-setting of the screen - so slight most people had to be told about it before they knew they had it - becomes "hurr your screen is detached lol"

None of this is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

Tech sites estimate that the nexus 7 will sell between 3 and 8 million in 2012. Those are just estimates, but still.

Random guesses from "tech sites" with a spread of 5 million: not very persuasive.