Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
For all the flak android tablets get, their market share has increased 10% since last year. Mostly due to the kindle fire I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Well if their purchase of Motorola Mobility gets approved they have a 1st party base right there - they just need to set up actual stores/improve (or increase) the CS effectiveness etc.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

eric posted:

It's 15 million SOLD vs. 3 million SHIPPED.

It was 7 million sold vs 3 million shipped in 2010. In 2011 it's 15 million sold vs 10 million shipped (and possibly almost all sold considering the Kindle Fire's success). Altogether there are more iPads yes, but Android is catching up - just like it did on phones.

Also flash is not going anywhere for a long time. Adobe is incompetent above all things which, among other things, led them to leaving the mobile space. It also doesn't change the fact that till flash disappears, Android phones and tablets can still run flash.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Anal Tributary posted:

Err, what? As far as I'm aware, there's only a few spaces where Flash is popular online:

- Web games. Irrelevant on tablets, since they pretty much run universally awful on mobile, and are pointless compared to native apps and HTML5 games (Zynga).
- Video. YouTube will probably phase out desktop Flash within a few years once browsers get their poo poo together a little more, and it's already totally HTML5 on mobile. I don't know why iOS still has the YouTube app; I just use their mobile site when I can.
- Bad restaurant sites. Thank god for Yelp.

So... where else are you seeing Flash? Honest question, not trying to be fanboy at all, I'm just wondering.

In addition to those there many websites which use flash. Granted I (and many of us) don't use them, but they do exist. Youtube is not the only video site which hosts videos using flash (and not all videos are available via HTML5 on Youtube itself). I'm not in the US so I've never personally used Yelp, but the Australia equivalent does use flash I think. Also flash ads are all over the web (easily blocked, but still prevalent).

VVVV Same thing he said as well.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 29, 2012

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
ICS is...so...drat...sexy :love:. Still a few bugs here and there, but overall a much more pleasant experience than Honeycomb.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
You must be the only person who doesn't like the new font. What about it don't you like?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not really. It's not a very good font.

According to that guy since it's not original it's not good.

:what:

The rip-off part may be true, but it doesn't change my opinion of it. It looks good on my transformers screen. It's sharp and clear and, most importantly, looks better than the old font.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 26, 2012

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Kirk posted:

Anyway, yes, I was just wondering if there were any Android exclusive apps that I may have previously missed.

Based on what I have installed, I'll recommend most of the Tegrazone & Kariosoft games along with:
Apparatus
Gem Miner 2
Great Little War Game
Meteor Blitz
Majesty
Pew Pew 2
Osmos HD
World of Goo
Anomaly Warzone Earth HD
GTA 3
Silpheed Alternative
Simcity Deluxe
Tank Hero
X-construct
Trial X (and it's sequel)
Zen Pinball THD
X-men
Triple Town
Sonic CD
Robotek

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Secret Sweater posted:

I think he was looking for Android exclusive apps, of which most (all?) of those are not.

A quarter (more if you include the Tegrazone stuff) is Android exclusive :unsmith:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think at this point Android tablets in general need to step it the gently caress up. Cut the cheap hardware, shaky software etc and actually try and compete with the iPad.

I don't think that's going to happen for a while (if ever). They seem to be more interested in flooding the market with a dozen different variants of the same product.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
There is glooom and doooom when things go booom... in the Android laaab. :v:

The sad fact is I'll probably get an iPad 3 year after selling off my OG Transformer. I hate that I'll have to do it since I've invested into the ecosystem, but I'm also invested into the iOS ecosystem.

Windows has been shovelling cash to developers to make apps for WP7, hasn't made the slightest difference. Outside of a handful high quality apps and games (under the Xbox live moniker), most are just ports (more expensive ones at that).

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
In slightly more positive news, the Onlive desktop app has been released for Android tablets. Only available in the US though :smith:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

What has outrage accomplished so far?

We stopped SOPA :smug:.

(sort of)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Android Tablet Thread:Just buy an iPad 3

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Really, don't get a non-ICS tablet.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Android Tablet Thread:No really, buy an iPad

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

zer0spunk posted:

Unless you want flash support, expandable storage, 16:9 AR, HDMI out, DLNA, or USB Host support for things like this.

Or the choice of different form factors and price points..

Who needs all that. The iPad just works :smug:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
My ignore list grows day by day thanks to this thread. Codiusprime got banned for a poo poo post? Just because he was more direct doesn't make his post any more lovely than the majority of posts here.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

404notfound posted:

Everybody at my company just got a free Galaxy Tab 2 because we got bought by Samsung. Hooray! :buddy:

Edit: Also, we will be making the new version of Music Hub, for anyone who cares about that

Is it legal for you to mention which company it was? Also, lucky you :respek:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't you get the memo? If you buy anything other than an iPad you've made a Bad Purchasetm. We need to be reminded of this. Constantly.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Similarly I've heard of no such issues in Australia. In fact, I've sent mine out for repairs (screen splotches) and got it back within two weeks (Melb -> Syd). I paid for postage there, they paid for postage back.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah I do a lot of loose diamond sales and I've always got gems in my pocket along side my phone and it pisses me off asus!!! :argh: Where's my diamond screen??

Apple hasn't made one yet :smug:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the Q so expensive because it's being manufactured in the US? Not that it excuses it being overpriced and lacking features.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

randyest posted:

How do you define "manufactured?" Are the German/Japanese/etc-built components that are then assembled into subsystems in Mexico and then ultimately formed into VWs and Toyotas in North Carolina "manufactured" in the US? If so, yeah, that's a factor, but it's still overpriced.

I'm not too sure. The Verge/Engadget etc. mentioned that below the device the placard said "Manufactured in the USA", so I can't say whether the parts are assembled there after getting all the parts or whether everything is produced and manufactured there. I get your point though. The only thing it really has going for it is it's desgin.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

http://allthingsd.com/20120711/googles-nexus-7-costs-152-to-make-ihs-isuppli-teardown-finds/

iSuppli says that the 8gb Nexus 7 costs $151.75 to build while the 16gb model costs an additional $7.50. I think this easily explains why B&M stores aren't carrying the 8gb model, the margin just isn't there.

$249 for the 16gb gives a little more wiggle room.

Well looks like the previous estimate posted was that off the mark.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
"If you like, I can search the web for pictures of stallions" :haw:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

randyest posted:

Yes it is indeed the poo poo but it doesn't get credit for the dictionary -- that's a built in system wide thing. I think Awful Betamax for android is supposed to be similar (but not the original android awful appl which is, well, awful.)

Both Awful and Betamax for tablets have the same UI.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

My 28 month old son can use my nexus 7, for reference. Obviously he can only unlock it & find & fire up his favorite game, but I'm teaching him to use voice search, it's very endearing to watch the little blighter pick the tablet up & very loudly shout "MONSTER TRUCKS PLEASE THANK YOU" at it.

This is just awesome :3:. I hope my future kid(s) is as good at using devices as the kids mentioned in this thread. It'd make me so happy to pass on the "geek" legacy to my kids.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I haven't heard anything bad about their quality on PC stuff. Just their tablets.

Also anecdotal and all that.

When I was in Australia they fixed my US TF101 for free (other than shipping) under warranty. All they asked for was pictures of the issue (splotches on the screen) and they created an RMA ticket and sent the guy over to pick it up. A week later I had a new device. Just because Americans have lovely consumer laws doesn't mean their service sucks everywhere :shobon:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There are some synthetic benchmarks that show Denver in a favorable light, but that doesn't make it a good architecture. Their binary translation is cute, but I don't think it's destined for a long shelf life. From an IPC standpoint, Denver's almost embarrassing when you consider NVIDIA needed 2.5GHz to match the single-core performance of a 1.5GHz "Enhanced Cyclone" ARM core.

Really it just sounds like he bought into NVIDIA's hype train that they've been driving since they announced the turd at CES 2011.

Yeah after having to deal with the Tegra 2 on my TF101 I'll never touch a Nvidia tablet platform again.