Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

The prime uses a stupid 15v charger instead of a 5v like most USB devices.

I actually don't mind higher voltage since the thing charges from 1-100 in 3 hours. At a ratio of 3 hours charging to 8-10 hours of use, that's pretty decent. People complain about the non standard cable, but that's the tradeoff, 3x the charging time @ 5v on microusb to stay in spec, or cut down drastically but have to do it in a proprietary cable.

I think I sold a friend on an android tablet when he was able to watch the bruins/ranger game live/fullscreen on one those flash streaming rebroadcaster sites while we were in the field on a job.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

randyest posted:

Those aren't the only two options. You can have a standard USB-plug cable do 500mA @ 5V when plugged into a USB host, then much more amperage at 5V when plugged into a wall. Lots of computers now even support more than 500mA over USB now as well.

edit: Beaten.

Ah, see I thought it was pulling 15v over 2.1 A, but it's actually drawing it over 1.2A, it's still variable and does 5-15v 1.2-2.1a so it functions like any other wall wart..weird. I wonder if there's a specific reason for the larger voltage/smaller amperage...

what's the ipad charge time at 5v 2.1a?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't ios only "zoom" to upscale for non tab apps? It looks pretty terrible upscaling to 1024x, I can't imagine scaling up to 2048 will be pleasant. They'd almost have to introduce a different scaling method ala android. Though that would cut into the devs that release 'normal' and then "HD" versions of their apps instead of making one universal version. Now they can sell you a third XHD version, hooray!

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the macbook line when the ipad line has a higher res display then the 2,000+ dollar mac book pro with its 1920x....if there isn't a yield issue and this actually happens.

The only thing we have so far in terms of estimating pricing for high density displays is asus setting the MSRP of the 32g 700 model 100 dollars higher then the 201 (lenovo will only say their high res device will be aimed at business users, which is usually PR speak for "expensive").

A 32g ipad 2 is 600, so it'll be interesting to see if apple can meet the same price point with the more expensive display or have to retail it at 700 MSRP for a 32gig.

edit: a video of android style scaling on the ipad

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 28, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's just weird. Apple, with the iPod, finally "got right" a lot of what was wrong with the fragmented and Engrish market of MP3 players and made it accessible and easy to use. They then continued on with the iPhone and iPad - they didn't coin just a catchphrase, but literally proved that their stuff Just Works.

You tap on something, it registers. You swipe, it registers and doesn't lag. You want music? You just download it. You want apps? There's like 600,000 and growing. You don't want to choose between 9000 different variants of a product and just confuse yourself without doing mad homework? Just pick up the flavor of the year.

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not. Impressive.

If so, you forgot "magical" in there 12 times.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Install Gentoo posted:

Are there even any 1920x1080 tablets actually out?

No, all we have right now in terms of anything substantial are 1920x1200 tablets that were shown by asus and lenovo. Asus is the only one to price anything, and that comes in at 100 dollars more for the added res.

Those are quoted as "sometime" Q2 2012. There's so many logistic things that need to happen from assembly on up in terms of manufacturing. I'd bet anything on delays. Asus claims "june" but they claimed october for the prime and it's only now starting to be available in late jan.

If you go by the speculation (and that's all we have despite anyone claiming otherwise): apple has shored up most of these panel manufacturers (sharp, et al) so it's feasible they'll bump res on their next release. Anyone claiming it's a sure thing should look at the same exact speculation on the ipad 2 (not to mention the sure fire 5 that turned out to be a 4s)

Is it a pretty safe assumption? Yeah, I don't see them continuing at 1024 for yet another gen if they want to stay competitive. What that entails though, we don't know. Lenovo won't even bother quoting anything other then "aimed at business users" for their x1200 tab. We're seeing the higher costs of producing panels directly adjusted in the MSRP.

I'd be the first to celebrate a 500 16 gig 2048 tablet (even if 4:3 is a pretty awful choice for anything media related). Competition is excellent for all of us, unless you own stock in just one of these companies. Blind fanboyism, here of all places, is incredibly puzzling. Are you related to eric schmidt or tim cook?

edit:
This link, though from june/11 is still an interesting read in terms of who supplies display panels. It also mentions the 40-45 million ipads produced in 2011. That should be interesting to see number wise in march when they announce sales numbers. Last year (3/11) it was 15 mil in 9 months of availability (2010). This year they ramped up production to the afore mentioned 40 million range. If they hit that, that's a pretty huge jump from 15 mil to 45 in a year. Conversely the xoom moved 1 million units.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 28, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Codiusprime posted:

Christ, seems like every time I drop in on this thread there is an iPad circle jerk going on. Why can't they stay in their own thread again? I can't remember.

There's like 600,000 and growing. You don't want to choose between 9000 different variants of a product and just confuse yourself without doing mad homework?

He's just trying to save you from having to do mad homework, yo.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Here comes another thread locking

I don't know why we even talk about other tablets anymore, it's just the inevitable cycle of: product gets announced, genuine discussion, criticism of why this isn't an ipad for whatever reason, product comes out, some people talk about it using it, everyone else comes in and points out that it's not an ipad therefore ___.

repeat and rinse.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

got dat wmd posted:

I'm not trolling, one of Android's faults is that the customer has no real comfortable place to go for support, other than returning an item back to the store they brought it from, possibly paying restocking fees. There really should be an Android store but not like anything from that concept place that was going around a few months ago.

Totally agree, but, there's so few phone manufacturers that produce anything beyond mobile devices. Sony's a good example, but I have no clue if they sold sony erricson handsets at the sony store. There's no chain of Motorola Mobility's or HTC Shacks or anything. Apple's in a unique position where it sells all sorts of hardware. If google was smart though, they'd establish a more customer friendly approach to support..but then again, it's a company you can't exactly call for tech support in the first place.

I'd think if they got more into first party branding, there could easily be a sony/apple style google store. If they offered a nexus style tablet, and a nexus style google TV setup, they could hawk that alongside nexus phones and chromebooks, not to mention any in store sales of subscription services they have.

They do still make most of their income from ad revenue though. Where I'd imagine it's the exact opposite for apple (software, percentages of distribution models, possibly hardware depending on their margins)

quote:

How does Google make money? What is driving Google's growth?

Today, the majority of our revenue comes from advertising.

From their investor FAQ

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
How would it work though?

Who should be responsible for supporting what you bought?

If i buy an HTC Sense phone with Android, am I buying an HTC Sense device or an Android device? It might be impossible for google to support a device where the hardware manufacturer just goes all willy nilly on android loving it up royally (see: a ton of samsung phones)

Is the onus on google now to fix what HTC or Samsung screwed up?

googling pushing aosp and ICS shows they get it at least, but I think the nature of how this all works (licensing vs in house manufacturing)..it's just not really cut and dry or feasible.

to get even deeper:

it's lovely that what makes android a viable platform with equal or greater marketshare to it's largest competitor is also its greatest weakness.

you don't even have to make up an example of why trying to take the apple approach to compete against them in the market is a horrible idea.

look at palm.

you could argue google had more resources then palm but so does microsoft and rim, and nokia, etc etc

if google didn't just license an os to as many companies as possible to saturate the market, the G1 would have been another palm pre.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 28, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

When you buy any product from Apple, you also get a free personal setup where they'll open the box with you in store, give you a tour, then do things like set up your email and set you up with an app store account so when you leave the device is personalized for you.

They also have free and paid classes in store where you can meet up with other people of the same skill level and learn more about what you just bought.
Yeah, let's support that company - they really seem to give a poo poo.

You act as if Apple is the only company in the history of capitalism to be truly altruistic or something really naive like that.

They are a business just like any other business on this planet. Good customer relations = brand loyalty = sales. Getting people in stores for demos = sales. It's not complicated, it just makes good business sense.

Now if you told me steve jobs was personally callin' you on your birthday and singin' to you, then I'd be impressed. Doubly so lately.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Of course they're doing it for business, I'm not retarded. What I'm saying is that they're hitting all the right notes as a company, but at the same time pleasing their customers. What Android tablet is doing that at the moment?

That would depend on who you're asking wouldn't it?

I'd wager if Asus shipped 400,000 tablets a month from april to june, then there might be, oh I don't know, a certain amount of people that are "pleased" with that tablet? Otherwise there would be zero demand and they would no longer produce a tablet in the market, let alone 2 followups.

I'm done indulging you, there's not much of a point. You could stop making GBS threads up this thread though, but then again, that seems to be the theme.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FunOne posted:

What is the recommended PDF reader for the tablet? The official Adobe one closes and restarts PDFs on the first page when I task switch which is just loving stupid.

Repligo and EZpdf are both really good options. I've been having an issue since an update where trying to do any drawing style annotations will crash ez on ICS though, all other annotation options are fine. If you're doing a lot of drawing on your pdfs with a stylus, go with repligo until ezpdf updates unless you're on HC.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Just stop feeding trolls, eventually they'll get the point.

On topic:

Has anyone else tried out DSLR Controller? I'm going to test it out with a 7D on a shoot on tuesday.

This was a huge influence in going with an android tablet for me since it doesn't require an intermediary like everything else.

If I can capture a still from the live view without firing the shutter/having to switch back to photo mode, that will be HUGE. Same with being able to pass through the tablets HDMI to add a second display, while keeping the camera body HDMI out free..

I'll post my results..I haven't seen anything on people using it for film production, mostly just for still work.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Shorter Than Some posted:

Android fanboys are terrible I agree, what's that got to do with whether you should or should not recommend an Android device which is how this whole issue got started.

It pains them to see anyone not using an ipad because of how "blind" we are or something something something
either that or you know, fat sweaty disgusting scorn of YOSPOS. You pick.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BIZORT posted:

I want to be able to access my external hard drive (connected to a Western Digital Media Live player) over the network on my Android tablet. I'm able to access the external on my PC over the network wirelessly as it is mapped as my Y:. Is there a way to do this on the tablet? I've downloaded Astro File Manager and am playing with that. It seems it may be possible but I'm not sure what SMB is

edit: Nevermind. ES File Manager was exactly what I was looking for

You're also able to act as a samba host (SMB) if you were to root, with the app "Samba Filesharing"

Your SD card becomes mappable as a network device. Useful if you don't want to use another protocol like BT transfer, FTP, dropbox proxy, or direct USB connection.

Splashtop HD is pretty rad too, in the sense that if I'm watching a movie or something, I can remote in and mirror on the tablet. So say I go to cook something downstairs but take the tab, I can leave the room but still be watching whatever simultaneously with the HTPC viewers. With a cable card tuner it also becomes a little portable 720p TV Considering cablevision won't get off their asses and allow live viewing on their android app this is a really good workaround. I'll bet anything the quality of whatever stream you get in that app will be worse then the cablecard + splashtop combo.

Splashtop THD will run at 60fps vs the 30fps of HD so I'm dying to try out a little portal from across the house. Totally unnecessary but why not?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
No issues with battery life here, 7-8 on the tablet, +5-6 with the dock as advertised. Add 60-70% (another 5-6) to that if I tone down everything (eco CPU scaling, 50-70 nits of brightness, gyro off, background sync off).

Having a laptop with 12-13 hours of battery life is a nice change from a netbook or laptop. Not to mention being fanless, and any heat generated is all in the top of the device vs the bottom half like everything else.

Between this and the weight, (2lbs in netbook form) I'm incredibly happy. You really can't feel anything when it's in a backpack which is a welcome change from my macbook, or the thinkpad before it.

Just the weight of the tablet alone is really nice too (1lb). if you've held the ipad 2, it's a bit thinner and lighter then that to give you a sense of it. It's made me want a new phone with that profile actually. My current phone is 12mm, the prime is 8mm. ideal would be 6mm..

edit: the only thing I miss from the macbook is being able to run final cut, but I rarely edit on the road. I'm thinking of selling this thing after a month with the ATP. I wouldn't recommend this if you're doing heavy heavy office suite work or need to run anything legacy for work.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 29, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ModestMuse posted:

All things listed are features I use on a daily basis with my Android tablet.

I am not really sure what your point is though. The iPad users saw fit to come to the Android Tablet thread and tell us all the things that are great and wonderful about iPad. So when I list legitimate features that iPad doesn't have, it can just be shrugged off as useless features?

Cool

Eh, when its 15 mil vs 3 mil shipped it's to be expected. Not sure why not using the popular option personally offends some of these fucktards though. God forbid anyone discuss android tablets in the android tablet thread.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

monkeyspank posted:

Even Adobe has ceded the Flash on mobile argument.

I was booked on a job because I could play flash and change a UA to desktop on location. I went to show a perspective client a reel that's hosted on vimeo. Bringing it up on any mobile device or the vimeo app would serve flash or HTML5 depending on the user's device. Vimeo has a setting that locks out mobile devices from content. I switched over to the tablet browser which could serve the normal site in flash, showed the reel and was able to book the job.

Flash across the web isn't going to disappear quickly and its pretty crazy that some of you think taking away the option of using it is a positive.

eric posted:

It's 15 million SOLD vs. 3 million SHIPPED.

I dig when you grasp at straws. It amuses me.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 29, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

monkeyspank posted:

if it was a technology that could have viably been adapted for mobile long term it would have been. I'm glad that there was a device that could satisfy your use case just like I am glad that the success of iOS hastened the demise of Flash in the long run.

I'm not sure what your point is with this, other then to look super spergy?

I needed to use flash, I had a device it worked on. Someone at some point thought it was viable enough to create that content with flash, other wise it would have been a non issue.

Once they stop using flash, guess what, I'll still be able to access that content, just like I can right now.

My point, and I actually had one, I needed flash and I had something that could do it when I needed. If I didn't I would have lost a job.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Anal Tributary posted:

Err, what? As far as I'm aware, there's only a few spaces where Flash is popular online:

So... where else are you seeing Flash? Honest question, not trying to be fanboy at all, I'm just wondering.

I don't think anyone is white knighting flash at all. It runs like garbage on OSX and I wish it didn't exist, but when I need it, I'd rather be able to use it then wish I could.

you hit the nail on the head though, flash is used in almost all gaming and media content across the web. Blame actionscript.

It's up to you on if you discount how valid that is, but media wise: youtube, hulu, vimeo, fox, tbs, abc, adult swim, comedy central, HBO GO..pretty much the only major media site not using it is netflix and that uses silverlight instead, not HTML5.

games: kongregate and newsgrounds off the top of my head. I really can't think of any games site using HTML5.

html 5 canvas is the future, but it's still very limited. If it wasn't flash would have vanished already.

edit: marketshare charts pretty interesting. 70/30 in q4'10, 60/40 in q4'11 ios/android users. if it's anything like phones it'll be 45/55 by q4 this year.
more then double growth in total tablets shipped on all oses combined. even the playbook got a .2 bump in a year of sales.
people like tablets, who knew.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 29, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Anal Tributary posted:

All of these sites either have mobile sites that use HTML5 and/or apps, making Flash support irrelevant.

CBS and FOX actually don't if you're trying to be as pedantic as you are.

You're ignoring the point all of us are making..let me quote hulu, maybe you'll take them seriously?

quote:

An Aside on HTML5
Those are the highlights of our new player. Before we move on to the other updates to our site today, let me address a related topic that’s been in the news a lot recently: HTML5. Plenty of users and members of the press ask about this topic all the time.

When it comes to technology, our only guiding principle is to best serve the needs of all of our key customers: our viewers, our content partners who license programs to us, our advertisers, and each other. We continue to monitor developments on HTML5, but as of now it doesn’t yet meet all of our customers’ needs. Our player doesn’t just simply stream video, it must also secure the content, handle reporting for our advertisers, render the video using a high performance codec to ensure premium visual quality, communicate back with the server to determine how long to buffer and what bitrate to stream, and dozens of other things that aren’t necessarily visible to the end user. Not all video sites have these needs, but for our business these are all important and often contractual requirements.

You can discount all you want, HTML5 isn't taking over for flash yet. I hope it does at some point soon, flash isn't great.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 29, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Craptacular! posted:

CBS owns the TV.com app, actually.

CBS interactive does. not CBS Entertainment. CBS and FOX don't have apps like NBC or ABC for whatever reason..it is kind of strange.

VVVV What are you looking for? Hard case? Sleeve? Dock/No Dock? I wanted something like the laptop sleeve I have for a macbook, less of full carrying case and more of protection against tossing it into other objects like a backpack. Since availabilty still isn't that wide spread there's not many options tailored to the primes dimensions yet. I went with a wenger/swiss gear 10.2 sleeve as someone else mentioned it's a perfect fit for the prime + dock. Out of any of the generic cases for tablet only ipad 2 ones seem to work best, but the prime is thinner so it's something to keep in mind. rooCases are supposed to be decent too.

swissgear 10.2 (they make em without the handle/strap option too, i figured can't hurt to have 'em)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 29, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

El Duke posted:

:rant:

Ok, so, any discussion involving android tablets in the android thread must:

1) Mention ipads since they are "current #1 market leader" or whatever that one guy was saying in his complaint post.
1a) Not be allowed to mention any negatives of the ipad when comparing them to android tablets.

Noted.

Why do ipad users come to the android tablet thread again? Other then to shitpost?

We don't care about your ipad, how hard is this to grasp folks. Jesus-tapdancing-christ.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

El Duke posted:

And yes, you very clearly care about the iPad.

Look at the post above yours. I really don't. All I'm trying to do is discuss the latest android tablet, in the android tablet thread. Oddly enough, this doesn't exist in the android phone thread. Go figure.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Eugene Jerome posted:

Cult-like traits. Making sense of things that don't make sense.

You don't need choices at all.

Choices are hard.

You don't need hard.

Now get in this all grey onsie.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Codiusprime posted:

It's great you love your iPad/iOS/Apple, we don't give a poo poo.

New thread title and/or OP.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

El Duke posted:

wall o' text

Well then, person to person, why do you personally feel the need to come into the android tablet thread all the time to constantly restate your opinions on androids flaws? Commission? brand loyalty? Some kind of duty to all tablet users of the world?

Please, feel free to word this in a 750 word essay.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Syrinxx posted:

I spotted this guy taking photos of his daughter's xmas recital. I thought he looked like a huge idiot.

Still it's hard to hate the guy for wanting to record his daughter's dance recital.

I've been giving it to directors with this, or using this to show people under me where they need to build diffusion frames in relation to the sun. I don't mind handing someone a bigger screen for these tasks. It's hard to say no one uses the rear camera at all for anything properly. I'd miss it if they cut them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Coffee Quack posted:

The future is: Your dad taking photos of the dog holding a large tablet with a special case to mount DSLR lenses to.

Exclusive to ios so far :\

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The sad thing is crap like that dominated videography for a good 3 years until DSLRS finally brought cheap interchangeable glass camera systems to low budget film makers. There is nothing good about shooting a lens through another lens. Dark time in my career.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Coffee Quack posted:

I could totally see making something like that to gently caress around with if you're into photography proper and wanted to do something a bit different but as an actual case for an average person it's just sad

That thing costs 250 bucks. It also only comes in one mount so you'd have to buy 2 if you use canon and nikon glass.

Some more math: decent canon lens, 1200 or so, iphone4s, another 200. so all and all, you're out 1600 to add shallow dof to your cellphone pictures

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 30, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mister Snips posted:

my phone can take pictures of things like 3 inches in front of it with a stupid shallow dof or is that not considered macro?

being too close to something so it's half out of focus isn't macro photography. 1:1 scale reproduction in the lens is macro, what you're describing is just you sucking at taking pictures

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Are there any gestures the dock trackpad supports, other than two finger scrolling?

if you root you can use browser + which adds gesture support. i've got mine set up like my magic mouse, 2 finger swipe left for back a page, right for forward a page.

i still can't get used to the trackpad, macbooks made me trackpad snobby.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 31, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

McLarenF1 posted:

Relax, the disgruntled consumers are always the loudest. If you check out XDA, there are plenty of happy prime owners.

Yep, I have 0 issues with mine like the rest of the folks in that 31 page thread. After a month of ownership I've found I'm averaging 24hrs with the dock which is killer since I commute a lot for work. The GPS thing was a non starter, I assumed it was lacking GPS in the first place ala wifi only ipads so I don't miss something I wasn't anticipating. I'm also in the camp of having my phone on me at all times with a GPS chip in there that locks in under a second so it was a non issue.

Anyone interested in photography that uses a canon dslr should get this thing for DSLR controller alone, it's incredible.

It's actually changing my workflow for the better for some of what I do;

Tech Scouts- Take photos while on location of the room. Open them up in reader app and then draw lighting plots directly over the photos which are then dropboxed/emailed to anyone who needs to reference them immediately. Second pass with a directors viewfinder app set up with the same lens FOV as the shooting camera. The viewfinder app then saves camera position/angle, coordinates, under the "framed" shots. Handwritten notes are added and then inserted into the floor plan documents so every camera position noted has a corresponding image of what that shot will actually look like in camera.

Production- Digital slate app for syncing audio in post. I've gotten faster at prepping the digital slate then the a real slate since I can quickly flick up to change to take 2 or roll 2, etc. Camera log app for recording notes and then being able to wirelessly print with printershare or email/bt/dropbox the logs over to production right away.

Post - Can dump footage to a HDD with either the SD card reader or a USB card reader

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

My Linux Rig posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who comes into this thread for advice.

Why? People that bought the device are enjoying using it.

rastor posted:

Hey just postin' from my ASUS Transformer Prime. It's thinner and lighter than an iPad 2 while having a higher-resolution screen and costing less. It worked great out of the box and was easy to set up. Within minutes the Android apps I had already purchased, and my email, calendar, and contacts, were all synced and ready to use. My apps automatically adapted to the tablet form factor, without ugly blurry zooming or the need to purchase special tablet versions. I did not root or modify it in any way, nor did I read anything on XDA.

fondue posted:

Sup fellow ASUS Transformer Prime owner!

I had the identical experience; it just worked right out of the box, wow! Within a couple of weeks there was an over the air update that changed the user interface a bit ... so now it's even better! In fact, I swear it nearly doubled the battery life as well.

c-euro posted:

yeah, I got a Transformer for Christmas and it rocks. If my job didn't require so much data analysis/workup that can only be done on a Windows machine I'd probably stop bringing my laptop into work and just use that. Perfect size (for me), great battery, more than enough horsepower for everything I want to do. My only complaint is that I haven't thought of MORE ways to use it!

SlayVus posted:

Just got my keyboard dock in from Newegg and man, is it a beauty.

zimbomonkey posted:

Just chiming in as one of the aforementioned happy Prime owners. Maybe happy isn't the word. Ecstatic might be a better choice. It's by far the smoothest running tablet I've ever played with, and the battery is stronger too.

koshmar posted:

So I just got my Prime and I'm enjoying it so far.

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

Postin' from my Prime. What is a good app to try and test WiFi performance? Everything else seems to be working flawlessly and 4.0 installed, barely using batery in the process.

Now let's look at contributions from a differing point of view;

eric posted:

:lol: at any tablets being competitors to the iPad.

eric posted:

Tell her to wait for the iPad3; it will be the biggest jump in tablet technology.

eric posted:

Here's all the research you need:

BUY AN IPAD3

"eric" posted:

iPad3 should be out in March. Quad core processor, retina display, LTE.

Seems like anyone not using what you're using makes you guys mad. Sorry you're so angry not everything is apple??

Maybe eric should take his own advice

eric posted:

If it upsets you so much perhaps you should get out?
..and never come back, thanks.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

graph posted:

All seven of them. Awesome!

That's the best you can do? I can go back to the other 2 tablet threads and add more, but you'd just miss the point yet again

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Everyone was doing fine and then you had to fall for this poo poo. He's just trying to get people like you riled up, goddamn. Don't get this thread locked again.

This thread has been helpful to me, and is the reason I don't have a Prime right now. It's loving broken and I'm going to wait and see if their next offering is any better.

I'm not riled up at all. I have the device in question and I really dig it. So do a bunch of other people, just pointing that out. Not sure how you get anger from fact posting?

I mean, rawrrr, angry, tablet smash, something something.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
DSLR Controller; if you have an OTG or USB capable device and own a canon DSLR that you use for anything other then hobby stuff, this is a must buy.

Liveview runs at about 90% 1:1, live view can be full screened and aspect guides overlaid (including 2:35!)..start/stop works perfectly, tap to focus / intervalometer works too...Still haven't tried using the app with the HDMI pass through of the tablet, though I don't see why that wouldn't work. Having the camera on tricky support like a crane/jib or carmount means I can use this to fully control the camera without having to actually reach it.

Not to mention a 5.6 720p HDMI onboard is 899..This 8 dollar app lets me use a 10.1 inch 720p screen as a monitor. Best app ever.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

cbubbles posted:

I checked out the site the first time it was linked - do know If you buy into the current beta do you get the release version without paying more? It mentioned the release version will "cost more" I think, but I didn't see an exact price.

It's half price while in beta, and then doubles when it hits 1.0. So basically if you buy it early you get a discount as a thank you for supporting development of the app. You won't need to rebuy it once it hits 1.0 or anything.

He updates it regularly since he uses it himself and he also incorporates suggestions from other photographers in the apps XDA thread, it's worth supporting.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Janin posted:

I wouldn't hang any hopes on ICS fixing the TF101's input lag problems.

It looks like it helped the xoom out a lot and the tf101 uses the same soc so it's weird you'd say that.

Honeycomb was rushed out to compete, google admits it. Half rear end soc with half rear end software is not the best way to start out for a first generation, but if the flipside is continuing to not exist in a market that generates a lot of money I can't blame them that much. Catch 22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bruce Leroy posted:

Has anyone tried out the HTC Scribe Digital "pen" (a special capacitive stylus) that goes along with the HTC View and Flyer?

I've read about it and seen some videos that look pretty cool, but I'm wondering how good it is outside of marketing videos and how overall useful it is, especially since it's so expensive.

I'm waiting on amtels digitizer product. I'm hoping it's closer to 100 then 200, but who knows. Pressure sensitivity never comes cheap, but it's worth it for drawing.

Demo vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqVmPZcZ5RA

As soon as that happens I'm selling off my jot (capacitive stylus)..it's good, but nothing capacitive can come close to an active stylus like in a wacom system.