Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

It's admitted in the article that wifi and gps issues are a design problem with the tablet which means everyone will have them to some extent.

Here's my anecdotal evidence, it performs on the same level as my macbook sitting next to it at the same distance from the router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dodoman posted:

Android Tablet Thread:No really, buy an iPad

Unless you want flash support, expandable storage, 16:9 AR, HDMI out, DLNA, or USB Host support for things like this.

Or the choice of different form factors and price points..

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Frozen-Solid posted:

I've had a Transformer Prime since January now and haven't had a single problem with it.

Had mine since dec 30th. No issues whatsoever. According to this thread it should spontaneously erupt into a fireball of glass and metal shrapnel any day now though.

I wouldn't be surprised if 4.0.4 lands (currently .0.3) by the end of the month. There's been 4 firmware updates since launch, including an update to ICS. ASUS is pushing out updates incredibly fast.

Still waiting for any news on the amtel active pen though. Pressure sensitive pen for drawing apps? Hurry up and take my money.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SlayVus posted:

To get a hold of said GPS offer go to http://vip.asus.com/

Once there, register an account then register your tablet. After you register your tablet, they will automatically redirect you to a page asking for your shipping information. Once you've filled out your shipping information click 'Submit' at the bottom of the application.

Thanks for that. Servers being hit pretty hard right now. In the 3 months I've had this thing I haven't missed GPS once, but it's stupid to not sign up for a free accessory that will up the resale value later.

Between this and the updates every month that add in features people are asking for (system bar lock, scaling for hdmi, ad hoc support) it shows asus actually gives a poo poo and are supporting what they release.

Hopefully the 300 series does well for them. If they are smart and actually launch this thing with more stock then the 201 to retail locations I could see the $400 32 gig Tegra 3 tablet moving units when it's sitting next to $500-600 options.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Chrome just updated to beta 19 on the desktop which has 2 way sync between devices. 2 way sync between the tablet and the pc without needing 3rd party apps or extensions is pretty nice.

Open a new tab in either device and click "Other devices" and you'll get a clickable list of open tabs on said device.

Just need desktop useragent support, plugin/extension support, and gesture support and I can switch from Browser + permanently.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pseudanonymous posted:

So Amazon shipped my prime today, I'm excited to find out which manufacturer defects I get, I want to get a case for it though, so I can keep it in my bookbag and not be as worried about it. Any concensus on what case is best? I'd prefer something that covers both front and back when its not in use. The two main ones on amazon both seem to have some issues.

10.2" sleeve by swissgear/wenger

I don't have the carrying handle on mine, but you can find it in target/walmart/kmart for 20-25 bucks easily. Fits the prime perfectly with keyboard dock + pouch for random crap like cables or earbuds, etc. I didn't see much point in normal style case if it's docked most of the time so I went with a sleeve ala a laptop/netbook. The hardest part was finding one that won't be all floppy and useless with off dimensions.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Yawgmoft posted:

Eh. I don't think I'm willing to drop what will probably be 200-300 dollars more for a device category I don't even have already for what amounts to slightly more resolution on an already small screen and as much extra processing power as can probably be tweaked out of the 300 if I really wanted it. I think 400 is a better price point for me since I'm basically 'trying out' having a tablet. Though I wouldn't mind the brightness.

You'll be fine with the 300. There's nothing midrange about it, it's basically the same device as the prime. It's not like you're losing half the cores or anything.

And the bonus is you'll be able to throw whatever h264 HD stuff you want at it in either 720 or 1080 and it won't break a sweat. I find that 720 looks great at that size display and if I want to watch something in 1080 I'll just either stream it to a bigger display or attach the HDMI..I've never said "hey I wish this 10 inch screen had a slightly higher DPI" in the 5 months I've had the thing.

Enjoy it!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's the very definition of mid-range compared to the more expensive options out now, and especially compared to the Infinity coming in the next 2 months.

I'll definitely give you mid range in its product line, though there's no low end, so I guess this is the low end and the prime is the mid range. It's still a tegra 3 tablet where we're still seeing the tegra 2 soc being sold on new tabs. That to me is the definition of a mid range android tablet now.

I would have honestly went with the 300 over the prime if it was an option at the time. What you lose in the step down is very negligible (slightly heavier/thicker, no cam flash, plastic housing, 100mhz difference in clock speed) compared to the price difference you're paying. 650 is a bit steep for a netbook, even if it's a touch sreen hybrid style netbook. 550 should be where they aimed in the first place.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

Is the connector changing? or the position or what?

It's the girth difference between all of these. The dock hinge connector thing is precise fit, that's why you can't really have a screen protector on it if you're going to use the dock. I guess they could design a expandable style hinge but more moving parts to break. It's not like they'll make more with multiple keyboard SKUs since we're the only region that even has the option of buying these things without a keyboard bundled in anyway.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I try and repress the existence of those lovely mips walmart tablets from my memory when possible. It'll get to the point where real low end hardware is so cheap that you'll literally get a rockport zztopx27862 free with a pair of socks.

Who buys those things anyway? Nothing good can come of any "tablet" sold in bubble packaging.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

Ive personally never found widgets very useful, they are mostly glorified app launchers, never showing enough information to be really valuable.

having my schedule, detailed weather like wind speed and a quick dialer that lets you assign between launching into a text/email/or call with that contact without having to launch an app is pretty nice. Even if you don't find that useful, I definitely do.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm loving the performance of my tf300, but does it seem to anyone else that the colors are a little washed out?

On my prime this happens in power saving mode. There's some kind of driver that steps down color depth/quality to save battery in play. If you switch it to balanced or normal modes you should see it change over to normal..It's sort of subtle until it isn't.

Also the higher end of the display brightness tends to overexpose midtones pretty bad. Otherwise it's as good, if not better then any other IPS display I've used.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Sharkelberry posted:

I've been trying to get my hands on a TF101 for a while now and all the positive stuff (aside from the random rebooting issue) I've read in this thread is making me more excited.

Unless you're getting a killer deal, go with the 32 gig TF-300 for 400 bucks. I'm sure the 16gig version will drop to 350 from 380 quickly, so unless you're getting the tf101 for 200 bucks opt for the 300 instead. It's the updated 101 in every possible way.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Radbot posted:

Besides being faster, what are the big advantages of the TF-300? You can get refurb TF-101s for $250 with a 1 year warranty, and you can get them for under $200 easily in good condition.

Well, I mean, internally and externally it's improved.

Externally 101 vs 300

271 x 176.8 x 12.98 mm
Weight 680 g

263 × 180.8 × 9.9mm
Weight 635 g

Internally it's tegra 2 vs tegra 3 which is a major major improvement..Tegra 2 has no NEON support in the soc so good luck playing anything but specific encoding in terms of video support.

Then there's higher rated battery life, newer version of bluetooth, much higher quality camera and sensor, and the better choice of materials and build quality over the tf101.

The 300 is the replacement for the 101.

You also can't forget the 16 gig 300 is also expandable with a microsd. Once it sells poorly at 380, considering you can get the 32 gig variant for 30 bucks more, it should come down in price. If it hits 300-350 then you're getting a ridiculous value for the hardware you're getting.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 24, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

But you see Android gives me the freedom to chose between many mediocre devices instead of being locked into the walled garden of a single good device.

I wish someone would lock you in a walled garden.

Is there a reason you keep trolling this thread? Other then to tell us how mediocre our devices are, I mean.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

I have to use an Android tablet 5 days a week. I'm not trolling, I'm sharing my miserable experience with a mediocre device.

Great, so we get to hear you complain about it constantly? Here's my counter to your whiny anecdote; I've had a tf 201 w/ dock for 6 months, I use it practically everyday. It's been anything but "mediocre" and I'm excited for the 200 price point 7" versions to drop. 150-200 is an excellent price point and hopefully it does well in retail.

Google and Asus aren't great at mass marketing individually, together hopefully they step it up otherwise the general consumer will keep going for Fires at the same price point just due to brand name and advertising.

The Merkinman posted:

There is no trolling going on, it's just this thread is going on about mediocre Android Tablets, the App thread currently has a list of ways Google sucks and the Recommend me a tablet thread is recommending iPad regardless of what the user says.

The anti google echo chamber trifecta!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 14, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That last guy is an Android user. You're getting a little defensive about your Consumer Electronics Purchasing Decisions. You might enjoy your Transformer Prime, but it's had a number of issues, including the WiFi and GPS debacle, random reboots, screens cracking from the dock, not to mention all the customer service horror stories.

If defensive is sharing my experience with a device, that has been nothing but positive during my long term ownership of it, then sure.

I'm just rebutting his blanket statement that all android tablets are mediocre. That hasn't been my experience whatsoever. In fact, others who also have the device have said the same thing in this very thread.

If you're (this isn't pointed to you in particular) making recommendations based on what you read on XDA forums secondhand instead of actually using the device then I don't know what else to say...

edit: I like how if I dismiss someones baseless criticism, then I must be white knighting android. You guys realize this is the android tablet discussion thread..

"android tablets suck" isn't much of a discussion...

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Edit: If you're satisfied with yours, that's awesome and I am genuinely happy for you. I'm just tired of searching around for the ~perfect~ Android tablet when the iPad does everything I need a tablet for pretty much flawlessly.

Gotcha. you went with the ipad. My point is, I went with the prime. In a perfect world, you'd be discussing ipad things in the ipad thread, and I'd be discussing android things here in the android tab thread. See: The android phone thread for a working example of this.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 14, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

El Duke Silver posted:

his baseless criticism based on constant use of an android tablet (which I think is a transformer prime if I remember correctly).

he's got a tf300 that he says freezes all the time. that sounds atypical to me considering I have the same hardware more or less and no issues. a few others with 300's have said they really like theirs in here as well.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The thing is, that's pretty much been the case. That being said, I'm still going to sink the $200/$250 on the Nexus tablet when it comes out and just hope I don't have to deal with Asus. :retrogames::spergin:

I'm hoping it's more like 150-200 then 200-250. Project Kai talks specifically about that 199 price point, so I'm thinking the sub 200 range isn't out of the question when you factor in a few hardware manufacturers all going with the kai/7 inch model.

150 bucks for a 7 inch 720p portable touchscreen monitor will have this thing being snatched up in low cost film making and photography markets.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

It stutters during UI animations perry much constantly. It seems like a small thing but its night and day when compared to an ipad. Every other operation suffers from the same problem. The difference between a device running a VM and one running native code is really dramatic.

The default browser loves to tile and shear while scrolling.

Its made of cheap plastic, thicker than an ipad.

Its not trolling. Its not "anti google". Its just not as good as the competition.

I have to ask what exactly you're doing with it? We have pretty much the same soc, though mine is clocked slightly faster (1.5 vs 1.3). Unless I have multiple applications all syncing data in the background (and we're talking like 6+ apps heavily eating data all at once & set to poll every minute), I get absolutely nothing like what you're describing.

This is not typical behavior is what I'm telling you. I don't experience this at all. Maybe some other 300 owners can chime in here.

In terms of build quality, you can't really compare a 32 gig TF-300 @ ~400 to a 600 dollar 32gig metal ipad. If anything you'd be comparing the tf-700 series which is in the same price bracket and also metal. The concession on price in the 300 series is in the body, whereas you still get the same internals of the higher end models.

Obviously the same concessions (plastic vs metal, slightly thicker) will be made on the coming $200 7" tabs since you're still getting the same internals. I could be wrong, hopefully.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

The stutters and tiling are mentioned in every review. This is not some bizarre behaviour unique to our device, it's just android.

It is absolutely fair to compare the build quality of a 400$ transformer to a 400$ ipad 2. It's not a budget device, it's just cheaply made.

I'm looking for the reviews of the device, because hey maybe I'm wrong. Maybe that 200mhz difference in clock speed is an issue. I don't have a 300, and I've never seen the tiling thing you're talking about on my 201. The only mention of stutter I can find in a tf 300 review is engadget's review, who mention that it went away after the first device reboot which falls in line with the initial sync of a new device.
I've been looking at user videos on youtube, but I can't find anything that shows tiling, just it working normally. I'll even shoot you a video of me opening the stock broswer and going to the new york times site, clicking around, zooming in and out, etc with no issue if you really don't believe me.

About the only thing I see mentioned in the transformer reviews is random app lockups or crashing, but I don't know if you can discount that. It's not like the tegra 3 is some generic SOC or even missing entire instruction sets like the tegra 2.. There's a specific forbes article that shows apps can crash as much on any platform. Bad software is bad software..

Quality: My point is still valid, you have a brand new device with better internal specs and double the memory vs a year old ipad 2 at the same price point, which is a discounted price from its much higher initial retail.
Again, they had to compromise build materials (plastic over metal/weight) to achieve that. This wasn't a shocker to anyone.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 14, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

Yes, Android is bad software.

If you're just going to skim over what I post I'll save us both time- tell your boss you only test on ios devices, sell the tf, and be done with it. Everyone wins.

Peven Stan posted:

I had a TF101.. The whole thing just felt like someone slapped a bunch of commodity parts together and shipped it as fast as possible to collect a holiday bonus.

That's because that's exactly what happened. Honeycomb was a rush job coupled with a reference soc that sucked at certain things spectacularly because they had nothing in the market so they figured nvidias something was better then nothing.

I think it just hurt them worse then waiting another 1.5 years to enter the market, especially as an underdog. The tegra 2 is a pretty lousy soc compared to the 3 or qualmcomms offerings. Kind of like a damned if you do damned if you don't thing. I remember the laggy mess that was my buddies launch day xoom and having all my excitement die immediately.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 14, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

That was the Lapdock. It wasn't a tablet really, just a crappy laptop you snapped the phone into.

The idea was sound, the execution not so much; lovely limited dock only OS, insanely overpriced, 3-4 year development cycle.

At least they tried?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I live in NJ and work in NYC. I take public transportation for an hour each way, and transfer trains. I also right a lot of other public transportation (subways, buses, metro trains) to and from clients, so I see a decent cross section of people, in an environment where a tablet is really handy. I sort of make it a point to look around and see who has what tablets and make a mental note.

Hey me too, but I have a tf 201 and dock I bring with me, so there's your 1 person I guess?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If they released an N7 with LTE at 99 bucks with a 20-30/mo data plan I could see it being popular as a voip goole voice phone. 4g data, calls over voip with GV and something like groove IP, sms and mms through GV.

Groove IP already works really well on the n7, it just needs a cell radio to be useful all the time.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nannypea posted:

Tried that, ended up calling Asus and getting an RMA for it. No telling how long it's going to be gone. :(

Weird..Did you get a red triangle error screen?

I just switched out a 201 with a 700. Updating the 201 failed before I swapped with that triangle error. Was rooted but not unlocked. Didn't unroot or factory reset before the JB update, same routine as the HC to ICS update. When the update failed from mismatch somewhere it just reset and reverted back to 4.0.3..

With the 700, I made sure to temp unroot and revert my hosts file, everything else was stock in the build.prop, no apps frozen etc etc.

This time, on the 700, no issues.. JB update went smooth.

My steps:
-add SuperSU, allow it to update the su binary
-temp unroot in OTA root keeper
-revert hosts file
-update OS
-re enable root/su with root keeper

I'm not seeing much of a difference between ICS and JB on the 700 to be honest.

edit:
but the new notification system is pretty spiffy
face unlock now has a blink option to prevent use of a photo of you to unlock..smart.
google now was a bit confusing..there's no actual app icon or anything in settings so I wasn't sure how to activate it..just need to do a voice search and then open settings and there's an option to turn on now..digging it so far, but I'd rather have it on a phone like everyone else has pointed out..
kinda cool to be able to say google what's the wind speed in new york? and have it bring up a weather map and tell me out loud the current wind speed and direction..

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 2, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dissss posted:

My Acer A500 seems to read NTFS format drives fine

No issue with asus either, FAT, FAT32, NTFS and exFAT all work, HFS obviously not so much. I haven't tried to write to NTFS, but read/write work with the other filesystems. Keeping a flash drive in exfat for read/write across different OSes is the way to go for me thus far.

Edit: NTFS write as well, I'd imagine this partnership between tuxera and nvidia would have something to do with it (at least for exfat, but who knows other file systems licensing they have in place).

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 2, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This thing is the same res as my U3011. Impressive for sure.

The bump from 149 ppi (x800) to 224 (x1200) in that size panel is noticeable, I wonder if the bump from 224 to 298 (x1600) would be? Or from an ipad at 264 to 298.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone know if there are any tablets that are exactly A4 size? I think that would make it about a 14 inch diagonal.

Toshiba makes a 13 inch android tab. That's about it right now.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Nvidia shows Tegra 4. I'll bet anything we'll see an updated transformer from Asus using it at MWC. I'd be surprised if it wasn't 2560x1600.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Proper scaling in the chrome 25 beta....

About time.

Hows it look at 1600p on the n10?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FordPRefectLL posted:

Still no easy tab management in the tablet version but a perfect mechanism in the phone version yay Chrome.

I just accidentally discovered that a swipe from the bottom corner left or right switches tabs quickly. Son of a bitch. How long has that been there?

E: the action is bezel to screen swipe in either direction. Pretty handy.
Swiping from the top of the bezel over a tab selects that tab.. this one isn't as cool

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 12, 2013

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I like my infinity as well.

If you're holding off until the next line of Asus tablets though it might help to remember Asus sucks at launching things. If they announce at MWC, which could be possible, don't expect to be able to actually buy anything until november or december, and even then it'll be a game of in stock alerts.

See both the tf101 and tf201 launches for examples of this.

I'm hoping samsung or lenovo can put out something similar in terms of a keyboard dock with a battery/sd slot/usb so I can try a different vendor next upgrade.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mill Town posted:

Right now the only tablet I have is a first edition iPad so I really want to upgrade soon :(

MWC starts Feb. 25th. I'd personally hold off until that's over since you'll get an idea of what the tablet market will look like for 2013. Granted very few things have an immediate launch at MWC, so you'll still be waiting for things to drop, but you'll either avoid buying "last" gen, or manage to wait for that same hardware to price drop with the new releases. Win/win.

Unless you want an ipad 5 or whatever they call it, which usually drops april/march (ipad 1-3).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

thebushcommander posted:

I have a Asus Infinity Pad (TF700) and was curious if anyone else with the tablet could help me out. I bought a micro hdmi to hdmi cable about a week ago and plugged it into a tv in my bedroom (46" LG) it popped up on the screen, but it doesn't seem to be outputting to 1080P rather it seems to be a 4:3 ratio like it were 1920x1200 of the tablet, but it's outputting to like 1700x1080 Vertically it fits perfect. Horizontally there are two black bars on the left/right side. I was able to correct this on my LG tv by stretching the video to the edges, it just looks kind of weird. I also tried on a 55" Vizio I have in my living room and that does the same thing, however I can't stretch it out the same way I can only zoom in basically which cuts off a lot of the display. Does anyone know why the tablet doesn't output 1920x1080 like it should be? Is there any app or setting where I can change the output resolution?

Edit: I see on XDA that people have some cropping issues on 1080p, but their issues seem to be it fitting the TV and cropping the bottom 120 pixels where the nav bar or it's zoomed in way to much. So that doesn't really help me.

Edit2: I did a little more digging on XDA which was a nightmare and discovered that there is nothing I can do about it. It only outputs 1920x1200 at the moment so if you scale have it scale 1:1 on the tv it cuts off the top and bottom and if you you force it to 1080p it re-sizes to fit vertically and because of that re-sizes the horizontal to keep the original aspect ratio. Oh well :(

maybe I'm confused, but I was under the impression that it doesn't output 1200p, but instead scales down to 1080p so it can connect to TVs that won't accept a higher then native resolution. This is why the desktop "crops" the nav bar out, to maintain the proper aspect rather then being "squeezed". It's a little funky looking on homescreens but it looks perfect inside the apps I tried. Media out is flawless, the tab will send out the 1080 signal with the proper AR maintained..so if you're watching a 2.5:1 film you'll have the proper aspect/letterboxing.

I'd mess around with the overscan settings and profiles on the televisions...

Also, I'm confused as poo poo to what you mean with the 4:3 stuff...The only way you'd come close to 4:3 is in portrait mode, but then you're looking at something narrower then 4:3..

I actually hoped it'd output 1200p native as I have one monitor that can't scale anything that isn't 1200p. But it doesn't..so when I connected to that monitor, I was looking at a 1080p signal on a 1200 panel, letterboxed, with the nav bar cropped..

e: The menu crop thing is what throws everybody off. If you're sending a 16:10 aspect to a 16:9 tv, you'll get pillarboxing, OR part of the image will be cropped. I've read things where asus themselves has claimed it's sending out a 1200p signal, which is 100% not true, as my and everyones else experiences connecting to a 16:10 monitor have proven (image would be 1:1 if it were sending out 1200p)..So you're getting a "cropped" 1080p signal, but it's only cropping off the bottom pixels to maintain a proper 16:9 aspect, instead of cropping the 1200 signal. Kind of a mind gently caress.

On the prime which is x800p, you had 2 options with HDMI out.."scale" which would give you 1:1 with the menu bar intact, or "crop" which behaves just like the tf700. Not sure why they didn't carry over a scaling option for the infinity..

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 20, 2013

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I think HDMI out is just broken. I have a Nexus 10 (2560x1600) and a 2560x1600 monitor. I know HDMI can't do that high of a resolution, but it should at least be able to do 1920x1200. Instead of doing that, or even doing 1920x1080 and letterboxing, it puts black bars on the left and right. My screen is 25.325" wide and when using HDMI from the 10, the image is 22.75" wide, so it ends up being 3:2, the same as thebushcommander is seeing.

Well that's even more confusing. HDMI 1.3 has a max of 2560x1600 over single link, 1.4 - 4096×2160...So is the n10 sending a 1600p signal? If it is, it should be 1:1 on your monitor but you're saying it's pillar boxing.

(the monitors themselves won't accept 2560x 1440/1600 over HDMI..i just looked at the specs for my u3011..so it's a monitor limitation for some reason vs an HDMI limitation re: higher then x1200 over HDMI)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2013

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ixian posted:

Every review/preview I've read of the Tegra 4 in the last few days points to it being a long wait to production - we're probably looking at late summer before we see tablets using it.

Asus is especially not great at product launches.

The TF201 was announced at AsiaD in Oct. 2011, then "officially" revealed in Nov. It started shipping the end of December but in such limited quantities that most retailers couldn't stock it until late jan/feb of 2012.

The TF700 was shown at CES 12 in Jan. 12 (much to the delight of everyone just getting 201's) but wasn't available until june/july 12.

At best you're looking at 3 months from announce to retail, worst case- 5 to 6.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
groupon has the tf700 for 350 and free shipping today..refurbs with 90 day warranty.

still don't know when we'll see the next tf model

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

zamin posted:

I've never seen a laptop that can run for 10-15 hours on a single charge.

Without heat or a fan.

Or the ability to detach a screen for portrait reading.

I'd argue that a lot of people that need a laptop would be better off with something like this, it's just not quite there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

mesc posted:

and maybe what I was looking for was too niche and won't ever gain in popularity.

I would pay any price tag for this:

14 inch display (even 13 would be close enough) to be able to properly display a 8.5x11 page without scaling. .
ideally 1200p, higher would be nicer at that size, but 1440 or 1600p isn't necessary
same profile as current gen transformers, but a little thinner and lighter can't hurt
wacom digitizer/input
front firing speakers
arm (i don't need x86)

and then the usual stuff
sd built in to tab, bonus if it has full or micro usb too
dockable keyboard with usb3 and sd
12-14 hour battery
no fan, little heat

It could run ios, it could run android, it could run winRT, it doesn't matter. It just has to hit all those checkpoints. As it stands now, the closest thing I've found has been the tegra 3 transformer/dock which I've had since end of dec '11 (201, and then a 700). I just hope eventually this magical unicorn modular device I want is purchasable from someone, asus or not.