Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm hopeful that if Staples is saying the 12th that Google will ship a day or two beforehand.

A 12th ship date with 2 day shipping would make me very sad since I have all my packages delivered to my office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

That and I called them to double-check, yes.

I'll probably call GameSpot later but since they're selling in-store, they most likely have them in stock by now like with other preorder items.

I'm just wondering if Google is going to start shipping their pre-orders before Staple's availability.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can actually call Google? How did you even find a number?

It's right in the order email.

quote:

Questions? Contact Google Play or call 1-855-83-NEXUS (1-855-836-3987).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've never had issues with 720p Youtube on my Xoom, ditto for 720p from IMDB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://allthingsd.com/20120711/googles-nexus-7-costs-152-to-make-ihs-isuppli-teardown-finds/

iSuppli says that the 8gb Nexus 7 costs $151.75 to build while the 16gb model costs an additional $7.50. I think this easily explains why B&M stores aren't carrying the 8gb model, the margin just isn't there.

$249 for the 16gb gives a little more wiggle room.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There have been PLENTY of times where the UPS shipment required a signature, but they decide to leave it without one anyways.

My parents ordered a new TV off of Amazon and it came UPS shipping, signature required, and they just left it on their porch.

They were even home at the time.

Guy never even knocked on the door.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Scaramouche posted:

For an extra fee the shipper can demand signature required on the order.

And then the person that delivers the package can choose to completely ignore that requirement and toss the package anywhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If I had to assign a percentage success rate with UPS and Fedex packages delivered to residential, it would probably only be about 45%.

My favorite "trick" is not even attempting delivery for 3 days straight and then leaving a slip saying you have to pick it up at the depot.

That's pretty much why I only get stuff delivered to my office now, business delivery seems to work so much better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

teethgrinder posted:

They all shipped yesterday.

That would be nice if it were the case, but so far no one has any evidence of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It seems that people who have UPS My Choice are getting notifications as the orders enter UPS systems. Google, though, appears to be holding off the shipping notification emails until some later time. They'll probably batch them out tonight.

So, it's entirely possible the thing has aready shipped if you pre-ordered early. However, you won't know for a little while.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

In my state it would be about $23 of tax so if you bought it from an online retailer and paid $13 shipping you still save :10bux:

Play Store charges tax.

Tunga posted:

Well you did get $25 of Google Play Money that doesn't come with the B&M version, as far as I know.

From what I've read, you get the $25 Play Credit regardless from where you order it from.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 13, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Quandary posted:

This is really frustrating and annoying, I have to say.

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed. I'm wondering why I paid $14 shipping AND tax when i could have pre-ordered from Gamestop a few days later and had it today and not paid shipping.

Not to mention that I paid $14 for two day shipping and they are apparently shipping them out on a Friday which renders the 2 day shipping moot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

teethgrinder posted:

I don't see how this is a "gently caress up" ... all Google ever said was "mid-July". They could certainly communicate better though.

Yes, Google didn't break any promises about when you were getting them (yet).

However, they failed to disclose any retail partners for this thing when they initially announced it and led everyone to believe the only way to get it was through the play store.

Then, a few days later, we find out Gamestop will be taking pre-orders for them as well. Already, that makes it $14 cheaper since you don't pay for shipping. But fine, we'll put up with that since we pre-ordered days before and should presumably get them first, as soon as they are available.

Well, now we find out that Gamestop got their shipments in and are now allowing their pre-orders to be picked up while Google remains completely mum on any details about when we should be expecting them leaving all of us to wonder why we pre-ordered with Google in the first place and what our $14 is going towards.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Siroc posted:

Google charges sales tax in most (all?) states.

Correct. Google charged me PA sales tax just as Gamestop would have.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Part of my annoyance is paying for two day shipping over something that's (apparently) shipping out Friday. Standard UPS Ground would have likely gotten it to me by Monday under these circumstances.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

If you knew ground was one day shipping from where they ship from why did you pay for 2 day, it doesn't really matter if its over the weekend or not.

Two day was the only shipping option given.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IT Guy posted:

So who else furiously clicked through the cart and didn't notice:

Apparently they open the box and connect your account for you which delays shipping on your device.

Anyone know how they're going to attach my account when I have two-factor auth?

They don't open the box and it doesn't delay shipping.

It's all server side. When you power the thing on and connect it to the internet, google knows that this device serial is yours and sends over the username.

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2659446

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I heard it mention that the GSM Galaxy Nexus that you get from the play store now allows you to unlock the bootloader without wiping the device, does anyone know if that holds true for the Nexus 7 as well.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should put off really setting the thing up until I have the opportunity to unlock the bootloader or if it won't matter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Welcome to yet another botched Google launch.

Pretty much. If you preordered, it is arriving in a nebulous "sometime."

I preordered on the 27th (16gb) and mine is arriving tomorrow, as is one of my friends who preordered two 8gb models on the 28th. However, I know someone who preordered before me on the 27th and he's heard nothing yet. No shipment email, no charge, no tracking number. He did order a case as well. I did not. So it's possible the cases are holding up shipping. It's anyone's guess at this point though.

However, retail availability is pretty much shot at this point. Anyone who had any either used it to fill preorders for that store or they are completely sold out already. Gamestop went through their first two waves of shipments and aren't expecting any more until August.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

First impressions, this is different.

I've owned a Xoom for a year and a half now and when I ordered this I thought "This will be a faster, more portable version of a thing I've been using for awhile. I may be more inclined to use it in portrait mode due to the form factor, but otherwise it won't differ a ton."

That couldn't be further from the truth. It just feels so RIGHT in portrait. The DPI renders full websites perfectly readable zoomed out at this size and most are formatted such that 800 width works great. It's very natural to hold one handed in portrait and typing with two thumbs is about perfect for the size and balance of the device. I would venture to say that I'll probably only use it in landscape when playing games that run in landscape.

This is in direct opposition to the Xoom that feels natural in landscape and just feels really odd in portrait. But that means it almost always requires two hands.

I'll be interested to do an even more in depth comparison between using the two devices once my Xoom gets JB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Slo-Tek posted:

So what, Calibre won't recognise my Nexus 7?

I could move files over manually, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a library management program.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the case?

Calibre would have to support MTP. No nexus device on 4.x works with USB mass storage.

Edit: Serial number is available from the system menus, why do you want it on the device itself?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 17, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Serial number sticker on the device is required for warranty through asus.

There's a serial number sticker in the warranty booklet.

Edit: and on the box that contains the warranty booklet.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 17, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

Man. I realize it's some kind of mandated "elegant solution" from a very important Google engineering team but gently caress not having expandable storage and gently caress not being able to see your device from your computer. I can't imagine this is a benefit to the consumer at all.

You can see the device just fine from the computer, it just uses MTP instead of USB mass storage.

This is a 6 month old argument now (over a year if you want to include Honeycomb devices) so there's not much more ground to cover about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mars posted:

I just wanted to check something with you guys about the N7 packaging. I just got my preordered 8GB, and mine looks like the tape that seals the box on either side was opened and then another piece was put over it.
Do any of you guys also have 2 pieces of tape? I'm usually paranoid about this kind of stuff for no reason. I'm just wondering what reason there would be to open it and re-seal it, but if other boxes are like that it wouldn't bother me.

It looks like double tape, but it isn't. If you peel it back, you can see there are two different kinds of adhesive on the tape which makes it look like it's one piece of tape on top of the other.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought it was supposed to be that sort of tape that leaves a pattern behind as a tamper-proof indication.

Actually, I believe you are right.

Peeling it back shows an "Opened" imprint on the box.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

averox posted:

See the thing about the whole warranty sticker is that even if you knew the serial number, if it fell off your warranty was void. Couple that with how lovely it is adhered onto this tablet and you've got good times™.

That's granted its handled Transformer Prime style.

Doing a search on this, I see a single instance where Newegg wouldn't accept an RMA of a tablet that was missing the serial sticker and that's about it. I don't think it's fully unreasonable for a retailer to not accept product back that's missing all accompanying documentation.

I haven't found anything that states Asus refuses them back. In fact, I found a few cases of the exact opposite (where someone lost the sticker and didn't have the info from the box or warranty booklet) and they still fixed it free of charge because it was in the warranty period.

If you are really worried about it, peel it off and put it with the warranty booklet.

I'd probably register the product with Asus when you get it as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, a bit of an odd thing.

I was playing around with the Play Magazines app and was looking at the preloaded issue of popular science. It wasn't working properly. It would default to a half zoom mode and you couldn't zoom out nor could you pan down to see the rest of the page. From the comments, I can see I wasn't the only one. I tried clearing out all data in the app and downloading again to no effect.

Well, when I got home, the first thing I did was unlock the bootloader which wiped the device. I've been playing around with it all evening and decided to try the magazine again. Now it loads up properly.

So, I'm not sure at this point if they fixed the download between the first time I downloaded it or the second time I downloaded it or if some other weird mystical combination kept it from happening again. None of the other magazines had formatting problems like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Battery life is living up to the hype as well. I've been using the poo poo out of this thing tonight. Right now I'm sitting at almost 4 hour screen on time and I've downloaded about 2.5 GB of applications (as well as installed all of them) and I'm sitting at 45% battery remaining.

Once I finish up all setup tasks and fall into normal use patterns, this thing is going to last forever on a charge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

atomicvocabulary posted:

I can't figure out how to make chrome obey the screen rotation. Seems to only want to be in portrait. Speaking of chrome I was really hoping when they said it was a desktop version of chrome that it actually would be, maybe I misread. But sites are still defaulting to mobile even after I request the desktop.

YouTube stops playing as well when I shift tabs, but then again the videos only seems to be able to display mobile no matter what I do.

Orientation lock is on by default. Pull down the notification shade and hit the icon between the date and settings.

As an aside, I highly recommend the aquarium life wallpaper on the Nexus 7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fishnoodle.aquarium_free

It works perfectly with no performance impact and looks great on the high DPI screen.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 18, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The size commonly used for the Galaxy Nexus is 1440 x 1280 so it should be about the same for the Nexus 7. Those extra 80 pixels aren't going to throw things off much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you use a 1440x1280 wallpaper, it will either have the top and bottom cropped and be stretched or have black strips on side homescreens. Using 1600x1280 will probably give the best results.

Are you speaking from experience with the Nexus 7 (I haven't tried putting any wallpapers on it yet)? I do know that 1440x1280 works perfectly on the Galaxy Nexus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Galaxy Nexus screen is 720x1280, the Nexus 7 ix 800x1280. Unless they've changed something in Jelly Bean, wallpapers should be the same height as the display and double the width. A wallpaper that isn't those dimensions will be cropped and stretched to fit.

I think the Galaxy Nexus crops 1440x1280 wallpapers a bit anyways so the additional bit of cropping may not make much of a difference. At any rate, as long as you are somewhere greater than or equal to 1440 for the one dimension and are 1280 for the other, the wallpaper should look good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Try starting nav while you still have data. As long as you stay on route it should still work. That's how it was with my phone when I put it in airplane mode at least.

Yeah, location routing is done in the cloud and pushed down to the device. So, if you get the route before you leave data, you'll be fine. You just won't be able to re-route en-route.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It sucks, but sometimes undetectable manufacturing defects get through. Believe me, I know. Just look in the Verizon thread where my Razr cracked in my pocket, while I was standing, with no impact or trauma of any kind. Motorola rejected my warranty claim and the only way it was getting fixed was to submit it to repair.

Did you buy it with a credit card? If so, check your member perks. You may have accidental damage coverage for a period after purchase. I know my AMEX does. I was able to salvage the $300 subsidized price from them by submitting a claim on the phone. They cover loss or damage within the first 90 days of purchase.

SquareTrade actually just released drop test videos for the Nexus 7 today and it passed with flying colors.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/19/video-nexus-7-drop-test-fully-functional-even-after-being-dropped-in-bathtub/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

powderific posted:

Anyone stand suggestions for the Nexus 7? I have the 12south compass stand for my iPad and something similar but smaller would be perfect.

I got this stand for my Xoom and it seems to work perfectly fine with my Nexus 7 as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Portable-Fold-Up-Galaxy-BlackBerry/dp/B000CKVOOY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1342798559&sr=8-7&keywords=arkon+tablet

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't even unpacked the supplied charger yet. I've been using my Galaxy Nexus and Motorola chargers with it without issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Xoom Wifi Jelly Bean update is rolling out to soak testers right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Also aren't you guys worried about dust and poo poo getting under?

Screen is bonded to the glass so that really can't happen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, in an effort to make devices thinner, a lot of manufacturers have been bonding the screen to the glass/digitizer. It makes it near impossible for any dust to get under the screen as well.

There are downsides though. Shatter the glass and you have to replace the display with it. Also, I have a pretty strong suspicion (based on my Razr experiences) that the current generation of hardened glasses can flex FAR further without cracking than the displays they are bonded to. It's getting pretty common to see broken displays in devices without the glass/digitizer breaking.

Hopefully Samsung's upcoming line of flexible displays will solve that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kynetx posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing about this during the Prime WiFi fiasco. Is it still a problem?

People talk about this, but when I actually did a search, the only thing I could come up with was Newegg refusing a return because the sticker was missing. I couldn't find any actual instance where Asus refused warranty support over the sticker. I did, however, find an instance where someone explicitly said that they had an RMA with Asus go fine even though the sticker wasn't on their tablet.

So, I'm going to say this is the internet telephone game inventing and inflating problems that aren't actually there.