Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I know you have to let the Prime charge for 8 hours, according to the instructions on first time use, but can you use it while it is charging? Or would it better to just let it sit there and charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is the circuitry in this picture the touch sensors for the Prime?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Touch%20sensor.jpg

Also... I got my PRIME!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Prime.jpg

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I have successfully tethered my Droid X to my TFP and can use the 3G connection from the phone on my TFP. However, when I connect to my Wifi at home with the phone, the TFP no longer gets internet access. My phone however is stilled connected by both bluetooth and can access the web.

Any suggestions?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Yee, connect your tfp (three foot penis? Turd fetish photographer?) to wifi.

The WiFi speed in my room ranges from 20kbps to 400 kbps. I haven't tried next to the router yet.

However if i could get my laptop to share it's connection with my tfp over bluetooth i could get a constant 55-60mbps connection.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 20, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

El Duke posted:

bluetooth 2.1 is only capable of a transfer rate of around 3mbps.

A constant 3mbps would be better than a fluctuating 20KBps-400KBps. As 3mbps is roughly 380KBps.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else have this kind of "pitting" on their Primes?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Pitting%201.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Pitting%202.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Pitting%203.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Pitting%204.jpg

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It came like that I assume. I only really started paying attention to it today, however I did notice it when I first opened my Prime up. I had first thought it had come from the microfiber cloth, but realized it wasn't going away after I wiped it down twice with two paper towels(white color) sprayed in glass/surface cleaner. I had taken these pictures after I had wiped it down.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 21, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Frozen-Solid posted:

I found my first MAJOR complaint with the Prime, and I'm not even sure if it's something I should even be complaining about but holy gently caress this bugs me.

I can't charge the Prime via USB on my laptop. I don't know why, it just doesn't charge. I plug it in, and see no charging icon. I also tried charging it in my car using a car plug -> USB jack and it didn't work. THEN I got out my mini power inverter, plugged the USB cable into the wall jack, then plugged that into the inverter, and that actually works. I even tried plugging my Kindle's wall jack USB box thing, and that won't charge the Prime either. There's got to be something special about that stupid ASUS power box, which is really loving stupid.

You can only trickle charge the Prime through a USB port when the tablet is completely off I believe. May just be sleep mode though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Captain Cool posted:

Any reviews or recommendations on this one? I've got an employee discount to use on a tablet and this is one I've been looking at. Is there anything else to watch for in the next month or so?

The major problem with Tegra 2 is that it doesn't play HD content that well.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Out of stock....

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ericadia posted:

To Prime owners:
So now that winter break has ended for a lot of colleges, has anyone with a Prime gotten any in-class or school related work done on it? Any preferred office apps? My professors often put their presentations on a networked drive that is accessible to all computers connected to the network, however, ES file explorer doesn't seem to be able to connect to them (and actually, on that note, what's the best app for viewing pptx files?

It's also worth noting that now that I am using it on campus, I am starting to run into trouble with its wifi reception. It worked fine in my house, but it often has poor reception or total signal loss on the campus WLAN, in areas where my Nexus or Powerbook G4 (don't laugh, its been good to me aside from all the nut burning) will have a good signal.
I haven't had the chance to use it for any classes yet, but I plan to when I get the keyboard dock. I am using OfficeSuite Pro which I got from Amazon as one of their daily free apps. Its normally $10, but it supports opening and saving docx and xlsx formats. I'm not sure about PP though.

All of my classes have zero wifi, in fact I'm the only who brings a laptop to class. I find I can type my notes faster and organize them neatly better than I can writing. Right now I'm in the cafeteria eating breakfast and have excellent reception and speed.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 24, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
About the only app that I've seen zoomed personally is the speedtest app. In zoom mode I can't even see the whole interface for the app.

On an unrelated note, I had a small problem with my prime earlier. I use Thumb Keyboard 4 and at the left shift key and ?123 key the screen went completely unresponsive. I had to reboot the device to get it to work.

Something I don't like so far is that the status bar doesn't go away when I am typing. I keep accidentally pressing the keyboard icon when reaching for the right space bar. This happens with any touch keyboard I use.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I've had my prime for little over a week and I love it. However, recently it seems to be a little sluggish at picking up my input.

When scrolling the screen it can take up half the height of the screen in landscape mode before it'll move. More than half if I happen to place my finger over a link when trying to scroll.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sending my Prime back for RMA... The only service center in the US that services Primes is the one in Grapevine, TX. After reading this thread I called ASUS back ten minutes after receiving my RMA email. Which is when I discovered the aforementioned fact about bing the only repair facility.

I have video documented the packaging of my tablet. I also have photographic documentation of the condition of the tablet and the serial number on both both the tablet and the box.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just got my keyboard dock in from Newegg and man, is it a beauty.

The tablet doesn't even have to be pushed all that hard to get it into the dock, but it does have a nice hold of it after it's docked nd in the locked positioned.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So why does each stylus I've seen all have large points? I've tried to find a fine point stylus, but the few I've seen have a fine pont that require you to attach a circular disc at the end.

Is there a TRUE fine point stylus out there? Like ones used on computer drawing tablets.

Also, I sent my Prime in for RMA last week. The rma status page says they haven't received it yet. My delivery receipt said it would be delivered on saturday(USPS). How long should I wait until I contact asus to see if they received it?

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 14, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Track the package and see if it was delivered.

I have no tracking code, but it was insured for $550. I still have the receipt and receipt of insurance.

I might go to the post office tomorrow after classes.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, ASUS has finally started working on my Prime. I am hopeful on getting it back by next week.

I sent it in for holes(possible pitting) in the aluminum back plate. I had waited for about two weeks before sending it in when another problem showed up. The tablet wouldn't charge any more and I could access it when connected to my PC by the USB cable. Right before I shipped it off, I decided to open it up and noticed I had a unit with a messed up WiFi antenna.

This is what it looks like, not mine, but looks just like it. Anyone see what the problem is?

http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachdl/2caf020a1939613689fd118601c4776d/4f3afe02/8/8/6/3/5/7/FlawedWIFIPCB.jpg

Between the copper contact and the copper antenna the circuitry does not connect
http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachdl/650c4b3cbf73b1fd0f49889ce82f6a76/4f3afdeb/8/8/6/3/5/8/FlawedWIFIPCB2.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what the RMA stauts "Waiting-[WB5] Wait for Repair\Test\Aging" means?

It was on "Repairing" yesterday. I understand what Test could mean, but Aging I have no clue.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I think my estimation of having my tablet back from asus by next week is kind of optimistic. Apparently my WB5 repair status means I could be waiting for up to two business weeks for them to ship me a new one or send me mine fixed.

Either the Texas repair facility is swamped, under staffed or slow is unknown to be. Their turn around time is longer than it should be though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My RMA changed from "Waiting-[WB5] Wait for Repair\Test\Aging" to "WAITEX".

From what I can tell from Google, this means I am getting a new Transformer Prime. Sadly, this can take some time for them to exchange it. I had hoped to get my tablet back this week, it looks like I'll have to wait until next week.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shorter Than Some posted:

How big a deal is the lack of a super ips scree? I was kinda hoping the 300 would be just the Prime with less problems (if slightly uglier),

It might be using the same screen as the OG transformer, if it is it means that the overall brightness is actually less. According to notebook review, I would link the articles however I am on a phone, the OG screen had an average brightness of about 332 cd/m^2 at maximum and the prime at 484 cd/m^2 without Super IPS+ mode(514 with).

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

lamentable dustman posted:

Pretty sure this is right

In retrospect of my previous post, they might also use an updated screen from the OG. According to the same reviews one notebook review, the contrast of the OG is petty bad compared to the Prime. 887:1 vs 1836:1

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-TF101-Tablet-MID.54258.0.html OG TF

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-Prime-TF201-Tablet-MID.69849.0.html Prime

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I got a new C2O Prime came back from ASUS from an RMA. It's currently on the charger and I'm going to leave it there for about 5 hours. There aren't any visible physical defects on it. The shipping box had a hole, about the size of a screw driver, in it on the top and the Prime's box doesn't have a snug fit like my other one did. I think they re-shrink wrapped it at the RMA center after testing it.

I'm really hoping that they have eliminated the WiFi Antenna that they were using in the C1O I had and the earlier models. Over at XDA no one seems to have opened one up yet. Though here are some interesting things they are doing to get GPS and WiFi to work better( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1520642 ).

Has anyone else gotten a C2O through either a purchase or RMA and what are your impressions of it so far?

Edit: This is bullshit! The back light on the new unit won't turn on at all. I can see the word ASUS come up when I turn it on and the table gets REALLY hot on the bottom right corner while it is on.

Luckily I am on the phone right now with ASUS and I just learned that they are going to pay for the tablet to be shipped back to them and I will get priority RMA processing.

Photos for this bullshit
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/DSCF2060.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/DSCF2061.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/DSCF2062.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/DSCF2063.JPG

Edit 2: I kind of wish I had never bought this thing now.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 29, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

You're so right, as long as you completely ignore context and consider 23% margin to be "tiny" and agree with the claim that ipads at launch are sold "for the cost of parts and manufacture" which is the claim to which I replied. Here it is again so you can revel in the awesome IYG claim you're defending:

No one was talking about R&D, retail store, data center overhead, etc. so maybe if you re-read the initial claim and response in context you'll understand better?

So let's say they spent at least ten billion USD on the iPads so far. I don't know any exact numbers and I don't really care.

That's a net revenue of $12.3b and net profit of $2.3b. I wouldn't call that tiny at all...

Hell, a local company I was working for made a net profit of $10.00 for the whole year. Now that's tiny.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 29, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

It's not saying much, but Samsung at least seems to have better build quality (Or at least QA, hardware wise) than Asus when it comes to tablets. The only hiccup I think Samsung ever had was that update that broke Wifi. Asus, on the other hand, had wifi issues, GPS issues, reboots, and the list goes on.

It's hard to explain how a new tablet would come straight from the factory with the back light not working. ASUS themselves had no explanation of how I had received it like that. So far, it's taken them over a month to get me a correctly functioning tablet.

I don't know why it just seems like a lot of companies are skimping on Q&A as well as QoS/QC measures. I know of a game that is having this issue right now in it's current beta stages(Tribes: Ascend). For example, they recently released new content for the game. Sadly, there was no Q&A or testing done in-house or pre-release and the content they released was horribly unbalanced.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
To get a hold of said GPS offer go to http://vip.asus.com/

Once there, register an account then register your tablet. After you register your tablet, they will automatically redirect you to a page asking for your shipping information. Once you've filled out your shipping information click 'Submit' at the bottom of the application.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jewce posted:

I registered my tablet, but did not get redirected to any page asking me for my shipping info. Hopefully I cna find where the hell to fill out the form for my dongle.

Where do you live? I live in the US.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Update: ASUS GPS Dongle for Transformer Prime

I just received a call from ASUS saying that they have received my application to get a GPS dongle to make up for the poor GPS issues on the ASUS Transformer Prime Tablet. They said that the program does not actually start until April 16, but it will take about three weeks after April 16th for them to be received by customers.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I know it is typo, but it was funny to me.

quote:

The smaller 0.35-inch thick, 1.32-pound Excite 10 will have a 12800x800 screen and get 10 hours of battery life.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
May I make a suggestion for the TFP's bullet points? Add a caveat to the GPS feature that if you buy a TFP you can get a free dongle from ASUS on the 16th that'll plug into charge/data port. This means though you can't use the dock or charge it at the same time.

quote:

On Apr 11, 2012 1:42 PM, <***********@asus.com> wrote:

ASUS has been trying to reach you by telephone regarding the GPS extension kit. We wanted to inform you that the GPS extension kit will be available on April 16th. Your registration was done while the site was under preparation, but ASUS values our customers’ time and will honor the registration that was completed prior to the announcement date. Please keep in mind that it will take about 3 weeks to receive the GPS extension kit from the date of registration. In your case, April 16th will be your official date of registration.

Thank you for being a valuable customer.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I would assume that camera is the first priority. I believe right now the iPad 3 currently has the best camera of all the tablets available.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Would anyone know if the Lenovo IdeaPad A1 is a good buy for that budget?

Nevermind, its on 2.3 android.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting this from the Rooted Android thread.

If you have the latest firmware on your Transformer TF101 or Transformer Prime TF201 and want root there is now a new method for obtaining root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1622628

A guy on XDA has figured out how to allow firmware downgrades. Which allows you to go to a previously rootable firmware. I have JUST successfully downgraded my TF201 9.4.2.21 firmware to 9.4.2.14. This allows me to now reroot my device as I lost root through a manual update.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Even without using SuperIPS+ mode on my tablet I find that maximum brightness settings are more than enough for day light viewing outside.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KrustyKlassic posted:

Just got the Pad 300 as my first tablet a couple days ago and I'm really loving it. Screen looks great, feels solid, and handles any app I can throw at it. I've only played with a Prime in a store but the 300 feels like it performs just as well.
Performance wise the Pad 300T and the TF201 ALMOST the same

In Performance mode the 300T is 100 MHz slower than the TF201.

The 300T however uses DDR3-667 RAM instead of DDR2-500 that is used in the TF201.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anything made for the TF201 should work for the T300. They are the same dimensions iirc. Currently though, there is no case that supports the use of the tablet and dock at the same time.

Edit: Here is a small caveat to what I posted. The T300 is 1mm thicker than the TF201 and the buttons are in different places.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 11, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The hardware support from ASUS is abysmal for their tablets. I've had to send my tablet in twice and so far the total time at the repair center is over one month. They want me to send it back again because I can't receive Over the Air updates. I refused to do that. That waned me to pay shipping for the first RMA and for the RMA they want me to do. Luckily, they paid for the shipping on the 2nd RMA because they sent me a new In-Box TF201 with a broken back light.

I currently get my OTAs from people who save the cache files before they update. This way the only people I have to wait on are the people from XDA.

So far my tablet experience has been great, except for the RMAs.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

So what you're saying is that your tablet experience is great other than that your tablet has never actually worked correctly? And not only that but that ASUS is giving you poo poo customer service? You have a strange definition of "great" :raise:

After the RMAs, my user experience has been great. Before the first RMA my user experience was great. My first RMA wasn't even for software or hardware problems, it was a cosmetics problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I would suggest VPlayer or at least try it out and see if it works for you. It has a seven day free trial of the pro version when you download it from the market. It's roughly a little more than $3 cheaper than MXPlayer and appears to have all the same features. I haven't used for subtitles, but it does support many formats and video formats. It's played all my HD content really well.