Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The biggest problem is that when you use the video output it puts mores strain on the GPU because it has to duplicate what you see on both screens. I have only found one app so far for video playback that disables the main screen playback when using video output.

VV Edit: VPlayer

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't why it's priced so high, but here are the tech specs of the HTC Jetstream.

Qualcomm AQP8060 1.5GHz Dual Core with MDM9200
32GB Storage
1GB RAM
10.1" 1280x800
Android 3.1
25 oz
7300 mAH Battery

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I would only consider the TF101 a good buy if you can get the tablet and dock for under $300, preferably $250 or less.

I would think that the TF101 would be similar to what one might expect from a 10" Kindle Fire. Only problem is, it costs way more than the KF10 is actually going to cost.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I guess all touch screens are susceptible to those curvy lines if you use a light/small touch.

I made this with my pinky on my TF201. I followed the edge of a ruler I taped down. You can barely see it, but the curve is there.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They did a great job at hiding those numbers...

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What can i do about an image burn? My TFP201 has a faint burn of the on screen keyboard in landscape mode. It's really faint, but stands out on like the grey background of the amazon app store.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyway to find the notification bar at the bottom of the screen or can that only be done through a custom rom?

I just made a white sheet in Sketchbook Express and set it as my wallpaper. Now I can just select a home screen with no icons on it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions on how to fix this? I swiped my finger left and right.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just loving awesome... I broke the glass on my transformer prime.

I had my tablet on my bed, came in from work and took my belt off. I dropped my belt on my bed. The clasp of the belt hit the edge of the screen and shattered that area and made a crack from it to half way up the left side to the edge and from it to half way up the right side to the edge.

Not even talking like a one foot drop. Pics incoming

Belt weighs 140g - Buckle/Clasp weighs 24g

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 27, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So what do people think I might be able to sell my tablet for with it being shattered in that area and with those two cracks? It is still fully functional.

I was personally thinking $125 to $75.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

I'd like to see a Nexus 10 from Motorola. I don't think the solution to the problem is very hard:

1. Make a 10.1" tablet at 1900x1200 or higher resolution
2. Make it not loving fall apart

Congratulations you just beat Asus

I would like to reiterate that last point considering my fiasco with my ASUS tablet. Holy gently caress did they mess that poo poo up. There is NOT a lot of build quality in these tablets. I really wish someone would make something better. I would buy it in the heartbeat.

I would like to redirect my opinions on this to my personal dealings with my tablet that I've already posted in this thread already.

SlayVus posted:

Just loving awesome... I broke the glass on my transformer prime.

I had my tablet on my bed, came in from work and took my belt off. I dropped my belt on my bed. The clasp of the belt hit the edge of the screen and shattered that area and made a crack from it to half way up the left side to the edge and from it to half way up the right side to the edge. Not even talking like a one foot drop.

I still use my ASUS tablet on a semi-regular basis because it still works. Man do I get a little heart broken every time I do though considering it was a Christmas Present and I have no way of fixing it without spending $450 for them to fix it or $500 for a new one. I'm kind of glad that it isn't a Transformer Infinity though, because that would just make me want to throw it in the trash for how easy it broke.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 27, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

You know, I'm not a fan of the ASUS build quality on anything they make, save for the recent Zen Primes and a couple of their G series laptops. Not my cup of tea, but they're pretty solid.

Still, this is entirely your fault. You dropped a belt on your glass tablet. Yes, you weighed the metal, and the result was pretty low - but it's not like you gently set the buckle atop the screen, either. This isn't ASUS' problem.

It's not just glass, it is supposed to be Corning Corina Glass. Which according to this video demonstration by Corning can with stand over one hundred pounds of pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XAhcIlO3DQ

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
When can we start expect shipments of the Nexus 10 with 2560x1600?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

Asus is pretty lenient with software hacking.

I don't know where you got that from. They were voiding peoples warranties if they even remotely detected that it was rooted. Heck, they tried voiding a guys warranty because he had rooted, but he was trying to send it in because it the glass was broken.

Every OTA update they did, they tried their best to make it so you could root the Transformer Prime. At least that has been my experience and my observations with only the Transformer Prime.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 12, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way I can recover anything from my Transformer Prime if the screen does not function at all?

Short explanation: My cracked the glass of my tablet, you can check my posts. My mom took it to a repair shop in Atlanta to get it fixed for me. They refused her calls after a day of when we were supposed to have been able to pick it up. On the 15th he said he had shipped it to us and would have the tracking information. On the 19th we received Fedex tracking information. Fedex said it was 1-Day shipped on the 19th, clearly not the 15th when he said he shipped it.

Out of the box from Fedex, the new glass was not properly installed or glued to the frame. The frame was chipped. The case was bent and dinged where he tried to remove the screen. Finally, the LCD screen is completely non-functional.

I tried using DroidExplorer to try and get stuff from the tablet, but apparently USB debugging was disable or not enabled at all. As it doesn't see the device. I don't have any personal information or sensitive or important information on it, but I do have a few dozen apps that I would like to save data for.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

Have you tried the unlocking motion or pattern? The digitizer might work, while the LCD is hosed. This happened when I bought an incredible with cracked glass - I eventually bought a new lcd and it worked fine. I tore the lcd cable, but the digitizer was okay.

The screen is non-functional as in nothing shows on the screen. The backlight is the only part of the screen that works.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

Screens are made of two pieces, an LCD and a digitizer. Both could be malfunctioning, but I was hoping for your sake that it's just the LCD. If that were the case, when the backlight comes on, pretend the LCD works and unlock it even though you can't see anything. If the digitizer works, it'll unlock the tablet and you'll be able to access the storage without seeing the display. This is easier if it's just drag-to-unlock, since entering a pin or pattern is harder without the display as a reference.

Option two is to boot into recovery, and use ADB to copy information off. I think they added the ability to use ADB backup, but I'm fuzzy on the details.

The digitizer and screen are non-functional. Recovery mode is also messed up on my tablet.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My mom bought a Nexus 7 16GB from the local Walmart for $212 after taxes.

So if you're tired of tring to find it online, you're best bet is to go to a local store.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The only reason why I wouldn't want Jelly Bean 4.2 on any 10" is that the software keys get moved from the edge of the screen to the center of the screen. Granted, ASUS and other companies might be working on their own tweaks to JB so that those buttons in the center of the screen.

My mom actually received her Nexus 10 today and it was already 4.2 and just setting it up for it I completely hated the inability to use the keys with the hand I was holding the tablet with.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

loudog999 posted:

Just got the 4.2.1 update here at work. Is it going to be as easy to reroot the device as it was after updating to 4.2?

Best way to keep root is to use OTA Root Keeper. Other than that, you'll have to wait until someone figures out how to root 4.2.1. If you don't use OTA Root Keeper to keep root during an OTA update than you lose root until, again, someone figures out how to get root access.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What exactly is the point of having a screen resolution higher than 1280x800 if all the apps and even the OS isn't going to do anything with it? For example, my ASUS TF700 is 1920x1200, but won't display web pages like it's 1920x1200. I know this because my main desktop is 1920x1080 and web pages on my desktop look nothing like how it is on my tablet. It still acts like it's 1280x800. I also know that 1920x1200 is extremely tiny on the 10" screen as I've used iDisplay to use my tablet as a secondary monitor and used it for my Mumble window and letters were smaller than 1/4".

But why is there no middle ground?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Small, but major note about N10 battery usage.

With the screen at approx 75% brightness and streaming Netflix on 70-80kb/s celluar connection, the tablet can not be charged. It will literally trickle drain the battery. After three hours of charging while doing this it went from 15% to 8%. The battery settings page show the screen as 67% of the tablets usage.

Where as with 1:30 usage of the same thing on my tf700, wifi was 65% and screen was 20%.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

revolther posted:

If one was cell-signal and the other was Wifi, Asus configurations like "powersave"

Was using wifi tethering on my 3G Droid X both times. I'm also up in the mountains with one bar of cell service. Powersaver mode activates at 15% battery on the TF700, I actually have it disabled.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 3, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting this from the Android gaming thread

HJE-Cobra posted:

:siren:
Whoa dawgs, free Android controller device and download code for Modern Combat 4? All you pay for is shipping? Whaaaat.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/poweramobility/moga-modern-combat-4-secret-santa/391497220932391

Unfortunately their site is (understandably) getting hammered, so good luck actually connecting to get it. But there you go. Haven't seen this mentioned, so figured I'd share, even though it lessens my chances of connecting to get it myself.

There is a universal driver for this on Play.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

rawrr posted:

So what's the deal with mx player and software vs hardware decoder?

I'm planning to bring a bunch of movies with me to watch on a long flight, but my video files seem to only play in software decoding mode. Will this kill battery life?

Software is all CPU based. Hardware is all GPU based. The GPU on most tablets is still better than the CPU. Usually requires specific codecs and formats. I don't know if there are any extra drains or not when using SW vs HW.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
For the ASUS Transformer 700, is it normal for the WiFi to use most of the battery?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

I have never seen wifi at the top. Especially above screen. I'd wait to see if it continues like that and maybe do a factory reset.

Splizwarf posted:

Yes, if your signal is lovely and you're using it a lot. When I'm working in the basement all day (router is up on the second floor), I only get one bar and that bar is intermittent; when I stream music, Wifi is my biggest drain. I don't have a Transformer specifically, this is on my Nook or phone. If you have location tracking enabled (Settings -> Location Services -> Location and Google Search), the problem will be even worse.

I actually have my brightness settings almost always set like just a little above minimum brightness.

I'm actually almost always located directly near the router with 2-4 bars, depending on position held. The only location services I use are the GPS and I only turn on GPS specifically when I am using Maps. Though I can't say that I'm always using the WiFi. A lot of my time is actually spent playing games on it. Specifically, right now, I am playing Plaque Inc and Dungelot.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't own this, but I found it looking for a windshield tablet holder. Same company also makes a few other ones as well. It's advertised as usable with the Nexus 7.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-Windshield-Mount-TAB-CM117/dp/B00585CLR2

http://www.arkon.com/
http://www.arkon.com/tablet-accessories/index.html

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think ASUS is doing their new tablet too soon. For $1300 you get a Windows 8 dock station with an 18.4" Android Tegra 3 tablet.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/03/asus-1299-transformer-all-in-one-dual-wields-windows-8-and-android/

The biggest problem I see with the tablet itself is that it's Tegra 3 with Tegra 4 right around the corner. At least they have the 2GB of RAM though unlike all their other Transformers with 1GB of RAM.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Not even with FoxFi or an alternative tethering app from the store?

FoxFi is free to use for like the first 50MB. After 50MB have been transferred you have to stop FoxFi and restart it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoft posted:

How hard is it to replace a tablet screen? My SO dropped my transformer on a corner and now there is a big crack though the screen and it won't register touching. I could live with the crack but not if I can't interact with the tablet anymore.

You can get a new digitizer(The front glass part) for $100 on amazon. The problem is that you're more likely to actually break the LCD screen trying to replace the glass. The glass is also very sensitive to bending as it is extremely thin.

There are also different versions of the digitizer for the tablet and if you get the wrong one it'll invert the x-axis.

I took my Transformer Prime to a shop in Atlanta that did tablet repairs and it was about $150 to get it fixed, but they didn't even fix it. They broke it even further. The digitizer was still working on mine, unlike yours, after I cracked the screen. After I got it back from them the LCD screen would not turn on anymore. I've sent them back to them twice to get it fixed, at their cost, and it still keeps coming back broken.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 9, 2013

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mill Town posted:

So, my Nexus 10 is plugged in to the wall adapter it came with, and as I use it, it's losing charge, even though it says it's "charging". Is this normal? I could accept this if it charged in an hour or two when it was not in use, but it actually takes about 10 hours to charge fully when I'm not using it. Battery life is good once it's fully charged, but since the headphones make crackling noises when it's plugged in, and I have to keep it plugged in constantly at home so that I actually have some battery life when I'm on the go, it's kind of a pain in the rear end. Do any of these problems have a solution?

Turn down your screen brightness. To actually use AND charge the Nexus 10 at the same time, you need to drop the brightness to like at least 1/4 max brightness. My mom's N10 does the same thing.

Kerbtree posted:

Does anyone else have trouble syncing on certain networks? Both tablet and phone fail to sync on my workplace's WiFi for some reason, the latter instantly picking up new mail when put back onto 3g.

They might be blocking access to the network that your devices sync to.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What is the latest on Tegra 4 devices? I have a 700TF with a keyboard and would eventually like to get a Tegra 4 tablet just for the speed increase. Is Tegra 4 going to push devices into the $400+ range?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

Finally got around to putting CM10 on my TF700 Infinity. If anyone's annoyed by this tablet's sluggish performance I recommend making the switch because CM10 has totally breathed new life into it. I was coming from an early April CROMi build for what it's worth, and still was frustrated by the performance until now.

Let me know how your battery life is. I currently have Clean Rom Inheritance and I can only use my tablet for a few hours before the battery dies.

I have uninstalled a few apps like Facebook and some smaller poo poo.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sorry about the DP, don't know if people actively watch this thread and wanted some help with ROMS.

I tried installing CM10 on my Infinity about two days ago and what a head ache... Android.process.media kept crashing on CM10. Cm10R3, CM10R4, and CM10R5 would all consistently freeze during the CM loading screen. Even after full system wipes. I needed the media process to download anything or install anything, so nothing google worked at all.

I switched back over to CleanROM Inheritance and bam, everything works. I don't know what it is about my tablet that makes CM not work on it, but I would like to figure it out.

Could it possibly be my recovery program? I am currently using Teamwin Recovery 2.4.1.0.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If I flash a new boot loader, will I have to reinstall my ROM again? I guess not. Every time I do something to my tablet and it takes like longer then 10 seconds to do something I was freak out thinking I broke my tablet. Like it sat at the first ASUS screen with blue loading bar and sat at one blue bar segment for a good 20 seconds.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 19, 2013

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I figured I would post here first before making a thread.

Is there a way to wirelessly stream your android tablet to a tv? I saw a $30 chrome cast-like HDMI dongle device that sort of was capable of it, but it had some lag issues with games and sounds stuttering as well. Video playback seemed fine at 1080p with no stuttering. However, the user experience from the video I saw of someone using this HDMI dongle was of constant connection issues when trying to start a connection.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Chromecast can't do games (yet...maybe) and if you saw someone doing it, they hacked it in so it wasn't going to be good anyway.

Right now, though, there's no way to wirelessly stream games like that. Maybe officially with Chromecast though and not with REALLY strenuous games...but Google has to open the Google Cast SDK first.

It was a hdmi dongle like chromecast, but it had an additional wifi receiver/antenna thing that sticks out. The dongle only costs $30 when I saw it on amazon. I believe the company's name starts with an E.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Christoff posted:

Eh, the tf700 can be pretty slow at times but there's still constant cromi ROMs being put out that salvages it. Again, I know everyone on this forum hates the transformer but :shrug: I'm hoping I can ride it out for another year or two before upgrading. Hopefully by then there's something nice and reliable that fits my (Apparently) extremely niche likes of having a keyboard with a dock/battery

What is this greenify app and why have I never heard of it? Looks nice

I've been experiencing some lagginess lately with my tf700. I'm running a custom rom too. I wish the RAM and storage spaces were faster. Every time google updates my apps my tablet just almost locks up, but it's unusable when updating apps. I wish it wouldn't update apps when I use the drat thing. I leave it plugged in at night with wifi allowed to stay on.

They really messed up with the 700. They should have put in 2gb of a faster ram with a faster storage drive.

I use CleanROM.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any suggested accessories for a Shield tablet? I already ordered the 16GB version with a 32GB Samsung Pro and a Poetic Revolution case. I didn't see a personal user case in myself to justify the controller though.