Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I just RMAed my N7 2013. I got it refurbished a couple of months ago. It was perfect except that it would randomly reboot 1-4 times a day. It didn't matter if it was sleeping or if I was using it, it would just randomly reboot. I'm hoping the replacement doesn't have the issue because it took a few days to get ASUS support to grant the RMA and I've only got a month or so left on my warranty (90 day with the refurbished product). I did have to pay shipping but it only ended up being about $8 from USPS with tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I posted a little while ago about sending my recently purchased refurbished Nexus 7 2013 in to ASUS for warranty repair. It had been rebooting a few times a day. They got it back to me in about 10 days (from leaving my post office to fedex dropping it off after repair). The packing slip says they replaced the mainboard in the unit (it has the same serial # so they opted for repair instead of replace) and now it seems to be working perfectly as far as I can tell. It also appears to be flawless despite having been taken apart. It's been on for four days so far with no random rebooting and there don't seem to be any other issues so far. All in all I am pretty happy with how it turned out despite having to get the RMA done.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

sirbeefalot posted:

Will I regret sending my mostly-ok Nexus 7 to Asus for an intermittent issue that they might not even see and isn't really a huge problem anyway?

Occasionally, the tablet won't wake after its been on for several days. The only fix is to hard reset by holding the power button down. When I look at the battery graph after one of these episodes, there's a gap corresponding to (I'm assuming) how long it was locked up.

Beyond the minute or so it takes to restart, this little glitch really doesn't have any kind of negative impact aside from being annoying. It has persisted after a reflash of the stock image and everything. I set up an RMA today, as it has about a month left on the year warranty, but now I second guessing myself after reading Asus tech support stories. I'd hate to send it in and get back something in worse shape. Am I being stupidly paranoid? Does anyone else experience this "sleep of death" with a 2013 model on 4.4.4? I'm rooted, running GravityBox, but this was happening before I did any of that.

I RMA'd mine for rebooting a couple of times a day a month or two back. The repair slip in the return package said they replaced the mainboard and the serial number was the same. The unit appears perfect and works flawlessly as far as I can tell since it was returned. I couldn't even tell they had opened it up and replaced the guts. I'm guessing most of the RMA horror stories involve folks sending it in for one hardware error and getting it back with another one, which I could see when they seem to have a good list of hardware bugs. In my case I'm glad I sent it in, however.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alder posted:

I've bought pre-owned tech before but never refurb is there a good returns policy?

ASUS refurbished units get a 90 day warranty. It was enough for them to fix the one I bought but no guarantee if you have problems beyond the immediately noticeable ones.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Finagle posted:

So my Nexus 7 2013 has been rebooting on its own more and more, and its get worse. Is this just more fun Lollipop shenanigans, or is there anything I can do to fix this?

That was the issue I had to RMA mine for. I don't know if yours is a different cause, but for mine it was a hardware problem. It's been stable since the repair with both 4.4 and Lollipop.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Keyser S0ze posted:

....so I want to ignore this Android System update pop-up that keeps bugging me on my 2013 Nexus 7 right?

It's on 5.0.2 from Nov 20 2014 right now

On a purely anecdotal note my Nexus 7 2013's update from 5.0.2 to 5.1 went fine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

delfin posted:

My 2013 Nexus 7's charging port is getting squirrely on me. If I line things up juuuuuust right it charges and functions normally; otherwise, Battery Monitor Widget is showing the intensely irritating status of "Discharging - AC Plugged." I'm using Anker USB chargers, cords and battery packs and the connection does have that good "snap" into place, but even a good cord is a bit wiggly. I've tried a handful of cords and power sources, so it does appear that it's something in the device connector.

What's the usual fix / source of fix for this? I've read that it's a common problem, and I've seen everything from "remove the cover and tighten the battery connector" to "remove the cover and replace the charging port" to "remove the cover and pinch the case around the charging port gently with flathead pliers."

Have you considered Qi charging? My micro USB port's been fine but just to stave off future issues I got a Qi charging pad. It doesn't charge as fast as plugging it in but it's on the charger a lot. If you could live with that I'd switch over to using one permanently. If not you will probably have to look at replacing the port. Here's a video of a guy changing one out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2AdPTnETtE

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

teagone posted:

Is the Nexus 7 (2013) still the best android tablet to buy? I see it's only $149 on Amazon now.

If you're okay with the size, yeah. There's some goons who like the newer samsung tabs for form factor, but they come with samsung's crap on top. I'm pretty happy with the nexus 7, though, I only got last year. I don't do a bunch of android gaming on it besides hearthstone so I can't speak to that kind of performance. It's good for teamviewer work to my main PC (the 1920x1200 resolution helps) as well as work on the go with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse as well. It's also good for streaming video. Mine's been extremely stable although it had to be RMA'd originally (I bought a refurb with a 90 day warranty and luckily they actually fixed it when I sent it in; there have been a lot of horror stories about ASUS RMAs).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone used the Lenovo A10? It's on sale for £130 ($200) and seems like a decent replacement for my Nook+HD that finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago.

My parents got one so they could check email and use skype on a trip they took. It works decently. I replaced the stock launcher with Nova launcher which helped a bit. I don't think they used it for games or anything but it's fine for browsing and basic internet stuff, especially with a nice bright 10 inch IPS screen for around $200. The bluetooth keyboard that acts like a cover for travelling isn't bad, although I don't think they put it through a lot of wear and tear or anything. The only bad things about it for general use are that it's on android 4.4.2 and will probably never go any higher, and that it takes a while to boot up (more of an issue for my folks who turn off appliances than most people these days).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah the $35 fire tablet plays Hearthstone only a little bit worse than my Nexus 7 2013. Of course it doesn't look as nice since the screen isn't as high resolution, but it's still very impressive for the price. I imagine Amazon's taking a small hit on the units so they can sell advertising on the lock screens and be assured you'll buy some stuff from them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm glad I put a new battery in my Nexus 7 2013 since it's gonna be around a while.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Guillermus posted:

Where did you find a replacement? I might just order one since it's really easy to change it when mine starts failing. My N7 is still working flawlessly and only some days has less battery life but it's always some streaming app wich causes that. It lasts like forever when I set it on airplane mode and just watch movies or videos. Even with wifi, it lasts me a good 3-4 days with some forums reading and a few chapters watched via netflix.

I just picked one up on ebay, the specific seller seems to be out of them. My old one was bloated due to long term sitting on a Qi charger heating it up or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KoB posted:

My Nexus 7 (2013) has had issues charging with the USB port for quite some time but now just this week I cant even charge it with my wireless charger (which Ive been using in lieu of the USB port). Should I get a new battery (if thats possible) or could it be some other issue?

The tablet just sits at home next to my bed so I havent been going everywhere with it dropping it on everything.

I replaced the battery on mine a little while ago but yours may have more problems than just the battery if it's not charging properly. I'd try to figure out if the USB port is hosed or if the charging coil is bad or what and if it just seems like the battery it's a pretty easy fix:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Nexus_7_2nd_Generation

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tunga posted:

But they're all 10" or bigger, right? There is no Nexus 7 equivalent.

It kind of feels like a 6" phone is the new 7" tablet. I used my Nexus 7 less when I got a Nexus 6, but after upgrading to a pixel I wandered back in here to see if there was anything that filled that same space. Nexus 7 is still going strong after a battery replacement but it's pretty slow compared to new phones, etc.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I bought a refurb nexus 7 2013 a few years back and when bluetooth caused wifi to drop out I sent it in for service inside my 90 day warranty window. It's been fine since I got it back aside from having to replace the battery due to bloating after a while.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hopefully there are enough old people here to know something about this. My friend mentioned wanting to get a tablet for her toddler, and I just saw a Nabi 2 for sale for $40. Would that be a good choice or is it old enough that the battery is probably completely dead?

A friend of mine got the kindle fire kids edition and it's held up really well with the squishy case. It's probably a better choice than an android 4.0 tablet and it comes with a 2 year guarantee for replacement if broken:
https://smile.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-Fire-7-Kids-Edition-Tablet/dp/B01J90MSDS/

There's also an 8" and 10" now for a little bit more.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bawfuls posted:

What are the options for current successors to the Nexus 7? I want that form factor and a mostly unmolested Android install. Don’t need cellular connectivity.

There really isn't anything that's as nice as the Nexus 7. The budget choices are a Samsung tablet or a Fire tablet that you toss the play store on. With the Pixel 6 Pro phone hitting 6.7" screen size it almost feels like the days of big bezel 7" tablets are over. My Pixel 4a 5G is almost the same vertical screen size as my Nexus 7 but is a couple of cm smaller horizontally and doesn't have the huge bezel that the Nexus 7 does. I'm not saying that there's no use for tablet this size, I think they're great, but there just doesn't seem to be an easy choice.

I have a refurbished 7" amazon fire tablet that I use as a work calendar that's just 24/7 display on running Business Calendar on my desk and since it was only around $40 I intend to use it until the battery bloats and then either get a new battery or a newer refurbished Fire for the same price. I've had it set up for about three years now. I doubt it's great for media consumption since they generally don't have a lot of ram but it's working for this extremely basic job. I've also picked up a couple of 6"+ phones for basic tasks in the last couple of years and prepaid phones or used/refurbished ones like the Moto G series are usually decent for the price.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

delfin posted:

So my in-laws bought my mother-in-law "a tablet." "What brand is it?" I ask, with a sinking feeling. "We're not sure."

It's a Sannuo K102, off of Amazon, Android 11. She's not going to use it for anything more strenuous than hidden-object games and a little browsing and videos, but is there anything about that brand I need to be wary of, since I'll be their tech-support guy when something goes weird?

There's a lot of random brands of tablets that work fine. The only thing is that I wouldn't expect any kind of warranty support so if she's going to save anything to it try to make sure it's syncing to a google account for backup in case it breaks, so it could be restored onto a replacement. Also, just warn her about dropping it or bending the connector while charging it. It likely won't be super sturdy.

I'd have gone with an amazon fire tablet myself but you do have to sideload the play store to do much with it. You can probably have her put Anydesk on it so you can remote into the tablet for tech support if you want to.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spacegrass posted:

Well, I found some "onn" tablets (Walmart brand?) in my price range. Does anyone have experience with these?

Not specifically, but they look like a fairly cheap brand that has 8" and 10" $99 tablets. What you'll usually find in these is older CPUs and GPUs (well, System on a Chip) with a lot less ram than most smart phones have these days. It'll be fine for general media consumption but a little slow and not great for games. They'll also have limited upgrading of the OS in the future so they'll be out of date in 2-3 years most likely. If you can, see if there's one on display so you can look at the screen. I've had some cheap tablets that have just really garbage LCD panels, but I don't know about the onn ones specifically.

My current go-to for a cheap android tablet is a refurbished Amazon Fire 8" for $40 or so. They come up on amazon or woot every few months. You can sideload the play store and while they have all of the caveats of the above, they're usually built not to fail in under a year. If they last longer than a couple of years they were worth the price. You can use them for Youtube and streaming video or web browsing but they're a bit slow and unremarkable. It's just kind of how it is at that cost basis.

I have one fire hd 8" set up with Business Calendar that has the display set to "always on" on my desk and I keep my weekly schedule up. It's been going since 2018-2019 without much trouble. I don't ask it to do anything else but other than a reboot every couple of months it just sits there and shows me upcoming dates.

Despite not being an apple fan, they've got a lot of the market for tablets covered with the ipad and there aren't too many android brands except maybe samsung that have tried very hard to compete in the last few years. Google seems to be focusing more on the Chromebook as a ChromeOS that can run android apps platform now since they sell them to schools and get kids using their cloud services. Google has announced a new pixel tablet coming near the end of the year but a lot of their devices tend to be high end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spacegrass posted:

I actually have an onn TV which works fine. That's sort of why I was considering one of the tablets. I see mixed reviews on the tablets everywhere. Half good, half bad. I'll probably just save some money and get a Samsung later. I already have a Fire tablet but I dropped it and the screen cracked. (It's been through alot, I've had it for a couple of years). Still works though, but I'm not sure how long it will last.

Incidentally, woot.com has some refurbished older kindles/fires up on sale today. They're owned by amazon now so if you have prime you get free shipping there. I often pick up the sub $40 ones in these sales:
https://www.woot.com/plus/amazon-kindle-and-fire-tablets-19

It's never great to buy older tablets and amazon makes those things to a price point, but at these prices they're so cheap they're almost disposable. If you want more performance definitely save for a better samsung, or possibly see what google does with the pixel tablet they're going to release late this year or early next year. That one's likely to be pricey, though. I think the nexus 9 was like $400-600 on release depending on the config, and the pixelbook was like $1k.