Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm no qualified expert on the available tablets, but my Xoom has been awesome, and even more so with the ICS upgrade that I got yesterday.

I really don't understand why Android tablets aren't taking off. Whenever I go to trade shows or conferences, all of my iPad-wielding colleagues marvel over my Xoom. With my entire life on Google, and especially on Android 4.0, I can dual-wield my GNex and Xoom like the liquid-metal extensions of my body that they are.

It's always funny when I get irritated that there's an iPad app for a streaming video website, but not an Android one. I always feel stupid when I realize I can watch that poo poo in the browser like I'm on a normal laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Glimm posted:

Personally l "dual wield" my phone and tablet to share 4G from my phone to the tablet.

My iPad using friends really like the notification system on the Xoom and quick access controls to airplane mode, wifi on/off, play/pause on music. I wouldn't say they marvel over the device though, the stuttering that sometimes occurs during homescreen transitions is enough to turn them off. At least with ICS this doesn't happen often anymore.

Yup, although to be fair you could dual wield a GNex and an iPad too. All your theories on my intentions were sorta right - just a rare exceptionally goony moment for me as a whole.

Most of these people are techies and have Blackberries or Android phones, but iPads as their tablet simply because it is the "mainstream" choice. Goonwife's artsy friends probably wouldn't see the appeal like they do. But yeah, notifications and quick switch options are big ones. Also the quick program switching similar to alt+tab, and the fact that it is a 10.1" version of what they love about their Droids, et al. Better GMail and calendar integration. Widgets. SD card slot for large file transportation.

A little stuttering isn't very annoying when you're a PC user anyway... we're used to it.

Also, my first avatar! :swoon: It's like Chrimbus all over again!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

It's nice when you have what amounts to reference hardware, but how many non-Nexus/Xoom models do you see people use and enjoying? A few, but not many and not in any great number.

That's kind of an unfair comparison. Apple is Apple - you only have the flagship products of each line, with few options beyond color and differing amounts of storage. You can't compare the $100 tablets to the iPad just because it has an Android operating system on it. If Apple opened up their tablet OS to anyone who'd pay for a license, you'd see all kinds of lovely Apple tablets as well. But that won't happen, because Apple (smartly for them, at least) has a specific image to preserve. It's only fair to compare the models made by major manufacturers that are meant to compete directly with the iPad, just like only the flagship Android phones should be compared with the iPhone.

Craptacular! posted:

Everyone around here knows to buy ASUS (or Xoom, I guess) and I'm sure they'll make a loving fortune off of us considering that they can't drive those Chinese child laborers hard enough to take our money as quickly as we want to give it to them. But people don't like having to do homework on their electronics purchases and a lot of the technology (ahem, NVidia) seems to be named by the same marketing folks who came up with naming Sony's HDTV processors "Bravia Engine 2" and "Bravia Engine 3" without telling anyone what the difference is.

My LCD TVs are the only thing exceeding Android hardware where I see so much marketing bullshit and have to ask the user community to tell me what the facts are.

I'm not quite sure I follow 100%, since most of what I listed are Android OS-specific, aside from the fact that there is an SD card slot. Granted, it wasn't released on day 1 with the ability to use the card, but they added that in not too long after. I think for any multi-hundred dollar purchase you should be doing your homework anyway. I wouldn't buy a car based just on what the Ford salesman says, and I wouldn't buy an iPad from the Apple store or a Droid Razr from the Verizon store in similar circumstances. Maybe a Best Buy where all devices are sold equally, and IF the salesperson is extremely knowledgeable about all options.

In any case, the Xoom's hardware is technically dead even with the iPad2's, which came out much later... and even a little bit better. It's not any kind of marketing spin - http://www.techwhizz.com/apples-ipad-2-motorola-xoom-hardware-specs-comparison/

Besides, why are Android and "marketing bullshit" in the same sentence when we're talking about a product that is only comparable with an iPad? Apple is the very model of (granted, smart) marketing. If anything, tablets like the Xoom should have had a hell of a lot more marketing, because it's an awesome device that obliterates the iPad, in my mind, if you are a Google/Android user in general.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 21, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

We're good - I understand where you're coming from on all notes much better now.

Craptacular! posted:

I didn't mention Apple in my post at all. I didn't even imply Apple, I only spoke of Android products and my impression of them. I was pretty careful to omit Apple entirely.

Of course, but what else is there to compare it to? Blackberry? Palm OS? The measuring stick in the entire mobile OS world for the foreseeable future is Android vs iOS, so it's just natural for things to end up as a comparison. Otherwise how do you judge something that's still very revolutionary?

Craptacular! posted:

My point is that your phone has ICS, and your tablet has ICS, and you're wondering why nobody else is doing this. The issue is there's only two groups of people "dual wielding" Ice Cream Sandwich:

ICS is brand new and a lot of people talking about it can't actually use it. My point is that you are using the two devices that put you closest to Google in terms of support and no manufacturing middleman, and when you do that you discount the experience of people using hardware with a manufacturer in the middle.

I've had a GNex since Dec 20 and ICS on my Xoom since Thursday, so my experiences here haven't had anything to do with ICS. I had a Droid with CM7 and a Xoom with Honeycomb during most of my experiences. Honeycomb wasn't perfect, but it did everything I wanted it to. ICS has just taken things up a notch with things such as better gallery integration and bookmarks being native to the browser, to name a couple.

But I hear where you're coming from with taking issue with the "me too" Android tablet manufacturers themselves. I guess I'm just lucky in that I got mine early enough and avoided the noise of the rest and went straight for the only one that looked comparable to what is undeniably the de facto standard, the iPad.

Craptacular! posted:

Apple's marketing is clear, the assorted Android adverts are less so, and information is even more opaque due to the manufacturers trying to differentiate themselves. Televisions have the same problem. Take the 240hz refresh rate feature that's standard on most premium LCD panels. It's called AutoMotion Plus on my Samsung, and my Sony has two features called Motionflow and Cinemotion, and I don't even remember what the difference between those two are. Some people on AVSForum called Sony to ask, and they had to contact the TV engineers because they didn't know either.

That's commonplace for any product that many people make. How many different names are out there for what Starbucks calls a frappuccino? Apple's is only clear because they're the only manufacturer of products that use iOS, and if you're in it with Apple, you don't have to know things such as "NAS", which the rest of the world uses - it's just "Time Capsule".

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

My avatar still says all.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looking around, I think im just gonna pick up a XOOM on ebay. The going rate for a nice one on there seems to be ~320-350 and honestly I think that's totally reasonable.

The Xoom really is a great tablet. I loved it even when it was on Honeycomb, so ICS was jaw-dropping for me.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I really like Motorolas build quality on their products though. I've really only heard good things about the Xooms build quality also.

Yeah, it's not exactly lightweight but it even feels like a solid product. My GNex is fantastic under the hood but it feels cheap, in comparison.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, the contract prices for some of the android tablets blow my mind.

The revenue from 2 years of a data contract to offset their cost of the tablet pales in comparison to the revenue of 2 years of a voice and data contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kirk posted:

Beyond puzzle games, I mean. Something more in-depth - RPGs, etc.

I'd also like to find a good XBMC remote control app. Before I got rid of my iPad I had Constellation, which was amazing and I'd love to find something similar for ICS.

Majesty is loving made for a tablet.