Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm writing this on Xoom with the new ICS update and, lo and behold, there's no keyboard lag. It's dumb that it took a full scale update to fix this, but the improvement is incredible. But now my keyboard makes so much noise when I type and turning off touch sounds hasn't done anything. Anyone know how to get my silent keyboard back? Other than that I haven't noticed a difference beyond a general snappiness to everything. Like Adobe, I got over Flash a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

feedmegin posted:

It's kind of dumb it's taken Google this frigging long to add 2d hardware acceleration to Android like desktop OSes have had since about 1995, but I'm certainly glad they did. :)

Android Tablet Thread: It's Kind of Dumb.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

eric posted:

:lol: at any tablets being competitors to the iPad.

"You rated this thread '1'! Great job, go hog wild!"

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mister Snips posted:

Yo, maybe the people who buy ipads legitimately don't care about any of that?

I'm probably going to buy an iPad3 for my next tablet based on my dissatisfaction with my ICS tablet and I still think 90% of the iOS posters in this thread are total douchebags and I care about the things on that list.

I want to know what kind of pane of reality where this kind of discussion is considered anything but soul-sapping nonsense.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Maker Of Shoes posted:

We just got this thread reopened, lets not poo poo on it already, ok?

You must be new to this thread...

What I don't get about Android tablets is that I expected the open source community to port everything to Android. I thought I'd get Inkscape and GIMP and OpenOffice on my tablet. That's the biggest letdown in my eyes, especially now that ICS has actually rectified the horrible performance issues. My Xoom runs like a top now. That said, unless something changes in the Android ecosystem (not the operating system) I can't see how anything expects to compete with the iPad. It's engendered no brand loyalty to me, and there's a good chance I'll jump ship when it's time for me to get a new tablet.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ferg posted:

Inkscape/GIMP/OpenOffice aren't exactly trivial to port...

Neither is Quantum GIS.

What's your point?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Coffee Quack posted:

Looks like Sketchbook Pro is for android also, wouldn't that satisfy your inkscape needs somewhat?

I have Sketchbook Pro and I'm unimpressed by it.

What I discovered running QGIS on my Xoom was that the form factor is really quite good for "traditional pre-appliance software". Sure, I can't do raster algebra without melting the back-panel off, but the same thing is true of my laptop.

I've been keeping tabs on the LibreOffice port. One day...

I'm a realist, obviously the OS community hasn't leapt on the idea of the tablet for development, but that's really the only thing that made me choose Android, beyond the ability to quickly deploy apps using AIR, and I've long since gotten over that need.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Saga posted:

Apparently I should have shelled out a squillion pounds for an ipad 3...however, instead I've picked up a Xoom. Already installed all my apps and have been using it all day without any spontaneous rebooting or performance problems etc etc.

Only thing that does seem reluctant to work is Google Books, which claims it can't sync with my google a/c and wants me to check my wifi connection. Which is fine along with the other google apps that have no problem finding it.

Anyone run into this? Wifi XOOM with the pre installed 3.2.

My WiFi Xoom updated to ICS a couple weeks ago. The performance difference is startling. As everyone has rightly pointed out, it sure as poo poo shouldn't have been such a difference because it means the initial Honeycomb release was BS, but my tablet and my phone both run ICS and it's really shocking how much better it is.

feedmegin posted:

The trouble with this idea is that literally everything on Android except the kernel is different from desktop Linux, from the libc on up (and said libc leaves out features required by the standard because Android doesn't need it), because Google hate the GPL. Google have gone out of their way to keep the open source community's stuff off of Android. In some ways it's easier to port <insert open source app here> to Windows, and that's before taking into account that you generally want mobile and desktop UIs to work differently.

I had no idea before I picked up the tablet and now I know it only too well. It's a real stupid maneuver on Google's part. I'd like to see what a LinuxTab looks like, but I have a feeling the UI will be horseshit.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Turnquiet posted:

Xoom with 4.03 and Chrome make web browsing amazing. ICS is doing amazing things to the Android tablet platform, and throws into sharp relief just how terrible Honeycomb is, even at 3.2. I am amazed they didn't damage the brand with nerds and technophiles with Honeycomb, let alone allow Android to see some measure of market acceptance on tablets.

It really is that different. I haven't installed Chrome, yet, but even on the default browser it's a completely different experience. I keep meaning to test out those PDFs on it, to see if the performance boost is there, too, but just too busy.

Fake Edit: Just installed Chrome on my phone and opened some js mapping interfaces I've been working on--much improved performance. This is kinda cool. I'm still not sure I'm going to stay on the Android boat for my next tablet, but it's nice to see this. The sort of chugging-through-suckiness incrementalism of Android does bode well for the future.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Was it this thread or the last thread when we had the huge multi-page derail about Android interface responsiveness? I think it was back in December when those Google+ posts started the whole saga.

Basically, go read the old thread if you care about why Android's interface chugs.

I remember complaining and constantly being aware of my inability to do simple things like post on SA using the effing browser back in HC 3.0-3.2 and that was after the stock browser finally got better than the competitors. Honeycomb really was such a piece of crap. How can you be several multi-jillion dollar companies working together on something and end up with it being so bad?

That said, it's done a masterful psychological job on making me appreciate ICS. Look, hardware acceleration, just like we promised!! Oh, and you can post on the Internet again!

At least my tablet helped wean me off of Flash. That was pretty good.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Don Lapre posted:

Honeycomb was horribly delayed but they had to have something to compete so they took their developers off the phone part and rushed the tablet part and shipped it unfinished.

A jillion dollars, and they couldn't give me the ability to type things into a text box on the Internet.

It's incomprehensible.

I know the iPad 2 has worse specs, except in it's Number of Missing Core Capabilities That Make You Want To Throw It Through a Window.

That said, there's still no file structure in the Mackintouch, and ICS seems to have solved the many blights on Honeycomb, so I feel less like I lit $600 on fire than I used to.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vagrancy posted:

Seems starting with the Nexus S, Google actually equip their reference devices with sensible specs which don't turn out to be incapable of running the next release months down the line. Nothing about the Xoom is underpowered enough to force them to drop it.

Based off the difference between 3.2 and 4.0, my assumption is there's at least one more good performance boost update to come along. The most of the argument behind Apple's "underpowered, low-RAM tablets" is that the OS is better optimized (I know there are architectural differences between the Tegras and the Apple chips, too) and I can't imagine ICS is fully taking advantage of the hardware, just based on how bad 3 was.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Toady posted:

The DS came out before the iPhone popularized touch screens and gestures. A stylus is an increasingly niche input method these days.

Writing with your finger instead of an implement is a sure way to get an RSI, unless you're only doing it occasionally, in which case you don't care about your blobby text or carpal tunnel.

I don't think that mouses, touchpads and styli are quite in the dustbin of history, especially for content creators.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Toady posted:

Content creation is a specialized need. Graphic artists need drawing tablets; construction workers need dump trucks. But the stylus is drastically more niche compared to the mouse and trackpad. iPads now outsell desktop PCs--the era of the stylus is clearly over.

(Also, "styli" but not "mice"? :) )

Styli aren't popular and have always been either a tool of necessity for substandard interfaces or a requirement for content creators (and not just graphic artists but people who want to write longhand without getting tendonitis in their finger). You state yourself in a later post that they aren't and were never popular, which means your whole lather about them is purely for the purpose of creating some thing to be critical of. It's typical troll behavior to create this sort of false dichotomy and then watch as people say, "Well, you know, X is useful for Y." and then you treat it like they're defending your entirely made up position that "A stylus is good and necessary for all tablet interactions!"

And the plural of electronic mouse is mouses while the plural of stylus is styli--I would have thought a pedantic sperg like you would have known that.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
How would ICS on Xoom vary from ICS on the 10.1 Galaxy Tab?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The difference between ICS and Honeycomb is enough that I would not recommend a non-ICS tablet.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Rastor posted:

The difference being, ICS is not a slow horrible buggy mess.

My advice is, do not purchase any Android device, of any kind, unless it ships with Android 4.0 or later, or a 4.0 update is officially available. Not announced, actually available.

Currently non-Nexus Samsung devices fail that test.

Right. Folks who are stuck with Honeycomb don't realize the pain and suffering they're putting themselves through.

Look, ultimately a tablet, like any other object in a consumer-oriented, capitalist society, is worth what you're willing to pay for it. If you like the form factor and the interface, then whatever you've bought is fine. But I thought Honeycomb was annoying in the most unforgivable ways and I just assumed it was because of the Tegra chipset or because Apple engineers were way ahead of the game with touch. ICS, on the other hand, works like a charm on my phone and my tablet. I never had any experience with pre-3.0 Android, but 2.x all looks pretty crappy to me.

Kind of funny, when you think about it, that the first decent release of Android is the version that starts with an 'i'.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vagrancy posted:

My guess is an art focused tablet with a stylus.

I think you're reading too much into it. Notice that it was all sloppy finger-painting.

I think it just means you'll have three color choices for the tablet. Three garish, garish color choices. With Apple having cornered the market on elegance, ASUS has decided to shoot for the Juggalo demographic.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

zachol posted:

That looks pretty cool and seems like a nice way to tide people over until we get tiny unnoticeable bluetooth headsets.

Don't we already have those? Why would anyone want to hold a stylus to their face to answer a call?

Also, :spergin: fonts :spergin:, really? How long until I have to hear one more time how Steve Jobs sat in on a calligraphy class at Nudey U, and how no one in the universe woulda ever put real typeface in their computers if some Nudey calligrapher hadn't shown him the world...

That said, that "one guy" isn't exactly some neckbeard with a blog, though I do like the '8's in Frankensteino.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Glimm posted:

These things are actually pretty awesome. I would love to have one of these.

It's true, they are. And I'm getting me one of those 13.3" tablets--I don't care if it runs DR-DOS.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Rastor posted:

Yes, for the love of all that is holy, do NOT buy a non-ICS Samsung device.

If you want a 7-incher you are a fool if you don't wait for the 7-inch ASUS (Google Nexus???) tablet. Rumored price range $200-250.

ICS really is significantly better.

Let me put it this way, imagine you wanted to spend your $300 on a vacation and you told your significant other (or, if you have no such thing, your Internet friends) that you really wanted to go to a tropical island. You can't afford the Seychelles, or maybe you just don't like it because it's elitist, fascist and French. In that case, ICS is like Hawaii--everything works, it can be a little rough sometimes if you wander off the beaten path, but for the most part it's exactly what it says on the brochure. HC is like Puerto Rico--it isn't fun, certain parts of it will actively fight against your having fun, regular things like buying a decent sandwich are mind-numbingly difficult and if you wander into the wrong places you may get blown up by the US Navy. Now, I know what you're thinking, maybe one day Puerto Rico will become a state, and you'll be able to have your Hawaii experience on an island that more suits your idea of what size an island should be, but have you seen Congress's track record for statehood for its non-contiguous territories? And don't forget that mad Puerto Ricans shot up Congress sixty years ago--I'm not sure if that fits in this metaphor or not, but maybe that's like, Twitter, or something.

My point is, Honeycomb runs in Spanish.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Linux Rig posted:

But you'll go ahead and drop $300 on a tablet? You're not making a whole lot of sense here, maybe you should just hang on to the money until you get another job.

My Linux Rig posted:

Basically what I'm saying is don't consider any tablet overkill, and expect to pay $500+ for a tablet.

My Linux Rig posted:

This isn't a $50,000 Mercedes, its a $500 tablet. If you can't afford that, then may I suggest that you hold off on buying a tablet tell you take care of your obvious financial problems.

I was wondering if that burning bush told you anything about the Kindle Fire and the reduced-price iPad2 while it was explaining the mysteries of the universe to you. We simpletons would like to know.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

sethsez posted:

This is like reading one of those computer forums where people insist you need an i7 and 32 gigs of RAM to run Office and play WoW. Right down to the ridiculous future-proofing claims.

This is those forums. The new twist is how it's all packaged with a creepy paternalistic streak so that not only are they telling you that you can't afford a real computer, but that you should spend your money on better things if you can't afford a real computer.

Frankly, if a dude has $600 to spend on a tablet and they haven't given $600 to charity that year, I think they're better off donating.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't see anything wrong with saying that loads and loads of people buy the absolute cheapest laptop on the market, no matter how lovely they might be. Computers are an absolute necessity in first-world countries, and that means that the tens of millions of poor people in the US need a computer, even if it's the cheapest shitbox available.

Tablets, on the other hand, aren't really so important that you need to buy one no matter what even if you can only afford the cheapest Coby Kyro paperweights.

So, what kind of electronics do you own?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Does anyone else feel like they've been transported to the Engadget comments section? This thread has grown even more content-free than usual. I'm getting a little upset that folks occasionally discuss their Android tablets here because it makes me actually check it from time to time.

So, in my foolhardy attempt to discuss Android tablets, is there any real word on the next Google reference tablet?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vagrancy posted:

Then again, Digitimes. The 7' Transformer completely disappearing off the map at MWC is suspicious though, so maybe they're on to something.

A seven foot tablet... I don't know how it plugs into the keyboard, but I don't care. Once I have it, I'll finally be better than the other gadget posters on the entire Internet!!!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
ICS 4.0.4 just got pushed to my Xoom. Not seeing any differences-is there anything I should look for? I suppose it's a good sign, since there are zero significant issues I have now with this tablet and I'm no longer waiting for Android to get its poo poo together.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Peven Stan posted:

Random reboots, laggy software (can't even view PDFs for fucks sake), and few tablet optimized apps mean you're better off spending the $359 on a refurb iPad 2 than an android "tablet" device.

I have a Xoom, just about the most boring Android "tablet" you can have, and it's never caused me any problems and works great. I get the argument for the iPad, it makes a lot of sense, but your experience is abnormal and less representative as of ICS.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

fondue posted:

Toshiba to make quad-core Android 4.0 tablets in 7, 10, and 13 inch sizes

I'm really grateful that my Transformer Prime is so light for its size but holding it in my hands for a few minutes it seems to get heavier and heavier. I can only imagine a 13 inch tablet would be very heavy unless they make the screen out of plastic, and their target audience are users over 50? Not exactly the type to carry a heavy tablet around.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

I think there's a market for 13" and larger tablets, but it's not your backpack or eReader. I'd buy some for use in fixed environments like labs, libraries and information centers. They're portable enough within that space and can be fixed to provide touchscreen kiosks, which is spectacular.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

If they're going to be mostly fixed in place, they don't really need to have batteries or anything, so they don't need to be proper tablets.

But they're not going to be mostly fixed in one place. Libraries and labs, especially, want to promote the whole Google Environment where you can take something and move it around and reposition it and turn it upside down and set it on a table and, blah blah blah.

If you're a modern research library at a modern university and you could have a Mini-Surface that doubles as a kiosk and can be used by students to read their eBooks on a beanbag chair 15 feet from the checkout desk, you should buy 20 of them for each library. Right now we're doing it with iPads, but most students aren't taking them home, so the high portability doesn't matter.

I'm also curious as to what your "or anything" is besides batteries even if they were fixed in place, or is that just a sloppy attempt to pretend that you have more of an argument?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

A digital sign doesn't need all the power of your average tablet to display stuff, or even to be able to accept touchscreen input. Similarly kiosks and points of sale and such would do much better having a display hooked up to a computer, rather than just a tablet. Points of sale especially, since you ain't building a money drawer into a tablet unless you're crazy.

I'm not suggesting digital signs or simple kiosks, but rather multi-use resources in lab, library and information environments. High-end retail establishments do similar things, if the adoption of tethered iPads by high-end department stores and Yoghurt shops here in Silicon Valley is any indication.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

eric posted:

First Samsung and now Asus? Are premium Android tablet makers joining the race to the bottom?

If you can produce a product at a cost point that allows you to make a profit, wouldn't it be foolish to do otherwise?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
This thread is full of the creepiest paternalists I've ever seen.

Look, you should always do well by your mom (unless she put you up for adoption, but even then, she might have had a decent reason) but for some people, that means $250. To get back to the car analogies, how would you feel if you bought your mom an iPad and some piece of poo poo millionaire came by and said, "Don't be cheap, buy your mom a BMW." And for those of you who bought your mom a BMW, just imagine it was some Saudi dude and he said "private island". For some people, spending an extra $150 isn't being cheap, it's just a reality of their budget. And then when the dipshits come out and say, "if $150 is meaningful to you, then you're too poor to buy a tablet, I would suggest you save that money to purchase some beans and perhaps a better bindlestick".

That said, I bought my mom the new iPad, because if you can afford it, moms really generally do better with Apple stuff.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Super Dude posted:

Just ordered an asus tf300 with the keyboard thing! I can't wait!

Just don't whip it out in front of your mother, okay?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

b0nes posted:

I actually someone with a non-iPad the other day.

I hope you used protection. Just don't tell your mom, okay?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

El Duke posted:

why would you do any of this?

Android Tablet Thread: why would you do any of this?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Saw my first Transformer Prime tablet in the wild. It's a really beautiful little tablet, isn't it? My Xoom looks like a giant, clunky piece of cast iron in comparison.

Probably the first non-Fire, non-Nook I have seen in a very tech-heavy (though also Apple-heavy) environment.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

New product? I think they're announcing a new religion. I'm totally ready to convert to ASUSism.

Man... I spent five minutes trying to think of an ASUS GPS/religion joke, and I couldn't. I just couldn't.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Glimm posted:

An 18" tablet is sure to be ridiculous, but it kinda reminds me of Microsoft's Surface (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx). Surface is actually really cool (my university had one I got to play with) and I'd love to have a coffee table like that (especially if it ran Android).

Man I'm a nerd.

I think the mini-surface thing is going to be great for lab and library environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

randyest posted:

iPads are 9.7" :q:

quote:

Drive by threadshitting. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
Contributing to a derail. User loses posting privileges for 12 hours.
Low content post & general unnecessary nastiness. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
Failure to read a thread, the first post, or even the thread title. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
Unfunny sarcasm post. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
I'm amazing you manage to type through the haze of smug that surrounds you. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.
We get it. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

(emphasis added)