Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Yeah, the redditor got it wrong. If it has 4x512 megabyte chips, that's another way of saying 4x4096 megabit chips, or 4 X 4 gigabit chips. All of them add up to 2 gigabytes of RAM.

On the processor side, is this a similar 4xA15 part to the GS4? Shouldn't that be significantly faster than the nexus 10's dual core A15? (ignoring gpu and other SoC factors? Or am I misunderstanding the leaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

1st AD posted:

At any rate, all that power is going to go to waste because there really aren't a preponderance of apps that will utilize all that processing power.

Yet.

Are we really already at that Conroe moment for ARM? Is it really so safe to say that 3 years from now software won't need a large enough increase in power for the N4 and this new N7 to be painful to use?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't link from the SD app, but there is a deal on the Slick Deals front page with a 20 percent off from Office Max, which brings the new N7 32gb down to $215 if you can find it in stock.

edit: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/100164/officemax-stores-32gb-asus-nexus-7-2nd-gen-7-android-4.3-tablet

Deal of the goddamn century right there. I thought this thing was a steal at $280. Going on 7 days of up time on mine, only restart was for the update. I use Firefox though. No build quality issues either.
I get the feeling the crashing issue is being heavily amplified by the vocal minority effect.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Seconding changing the thread name to Android Tablet (2013 nexus 7 case recommendation) Thread

On that note, my new Poetic slimline case has 2 magnets and it opens and closes fine. Will report if it falls apart like the nexus 4 case I got from them.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Posting from my Fire, which still doesn't behave like a real android tablet, but there are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to install the play store and get real apps that way.

The crap launcher is ever-present though.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Fawf posted:

Speaking of the Fire 10, is there any difference at all with the newer USB-C model with regards to installing the Play store?

Having installed the play store on both the.current and prior generations of the HD10, it's basically the same process. I think two of the apks are different because it's a newer processor though.

On a related note the new version is far snappier handheld one, which was dog slow. Battery life is noticeably improved as well but that might be just the new vs. old. Posting from a current gen HD10. Screen is similar, case is the same, speakers are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like it’s gonna be hard to beat that $229 price tbh.

Haven't seen confirmation that you can sideload Google Play Store on it yet though.