Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

feedmegin posted:

I...what. That's a motherboard, not a tablet. I'm confused.

We've been fooled! drat Asus and Corvid for making us believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Goons almost make me regret buying a Prime w/ dock. I hope I don't get a faulty one :ohdear:

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Isn't Samsung known for delaying updates ad infinitum and awful Android ROM's (Touchwiz)? Also imitating almost anything Apple does in regards to device design.

That and the lack of a good keyboard (the keyboard dock for both the 8.9 and 10.1 seems awful) is what kept me from getting a Galaxy Tab. I really wanted the Transformer with the dock because of extra battery, USB support and most importantly, a nice keyboard which you can rotate vertically to fit your needs, rather than having it kept in the same angle forever (see Galaxy Tab keyboard).

And I don't really care too much about thickness, which is one of the selling points for Galaxy Tabs as far as I'm concerned.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Codiusprime posted:

Edit: On the topic of folders, what the gently caress Honeycomb?

There's a reason why Google didn't make Honeycomb source code public. That was a cheap, rushed-in (software) product, which surprisingly lasted enough to not make people think about "screw Android tablets", for the most part.

e: but I'm glad it was released to the public. At least it served to polish 4.0 further, which is a joyful experience.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just received my Prime 32GB w/ dock. Looks fabulous, didn't notice any problems. Currently charging the battery to later install ICS update. What are the tests to run again on this sexy thing to know if yours is hosed up (which I hope is not my case)?

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Postin' from my Prime. What is a good app to try and test WiFi performance? Everything else seems to be working flawlessly and 4.0 installed, barely using batery in the process.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rastor posted:

Things that happened while the thread was locked:

My Transformer Prime received a new OTA update. Too bad about the QA issues (especially with early production runs?) because ASUS has really been supporting this thing software-wise.

I installed 4.0 today, at around 1PM EST. I don't know if that's the OTA you're talking about, I'll check, but drat, this thing is awesome right off the bat. Did a lot of poo poo with it today, no wifi problems, no backlight bleeding, battery life is awesome for the first cycle (just watched an HD movie with WiFi on, went from 56 to 44 by the end of it)...

I might have gotten one of the good ones :woop:

e: it seems like the OTA was the lastest version. No problems so far. Apparently, they're giving a lot of love to the Prime, software-wise.

The Angry Spaniard fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 9, 2012

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just noticed the developer settings on my Prime. Is there any point in turning forced GPU rendering for 2d apps? I only find the twitter clients to be kinda sluggish when it comes to UI lag.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Back on topic, apparently my Prime seems to be completely fine in regards to WiFi signal. Here's a signal test. My network is the red one. I'm getting the same results on my HTC Desire, which would indicate that any signal problems would rather have to do with having a lovely wireless router:

http://s2.i1.picplzthumbs.com/upload/img/6c/56/c1/6c56c1fae622701de6d92a77af97392122daf1e7_wmeg.jpg

Signal is 60db. There is only a room between this room and my bedroom, where the router is located. I'll probably end up installing an ad-hoc point, because I'm not enjoying the full potential of my cable connection over WiFi. Haven't tried GPS yet because it's not such an essential feature, but oh well.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

My Linux Rig posted:

You would think with that tablet, most people would prefer the money back solution.

Quite an stupidly hyperbolic statement, don't you think? Where do you get this info from? You can count me out of that "money back" list, for one. I've tried both, I have the Prime, and I'm really happy with it. I can't stop my :smug: face from coming out when I see my Apple fanboy classmates watch as their iPad 2 runs out of battery, and my tablet keeps running no prob. And then I plug in the keyboard dock.

And, as far as I know, battery, backlight bleeding and signal problems have been corrected with the latest models. At least, mine's nowhere as painfully bad as a lot of people depicted on this thread, quite the opposite.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Don Lapre posted:

You have a 10 hour class?

My class are usually spaced, so it's not weird to arrive at college early morning and leave by the evening. And we all have OCD problems with checking Twitter, FB and the like.

e: today though, friend brought iPad with 60% battery left (didn't charge it the previous night), left college with 15. Mine was 90%, arrived home with 60-ish, having abused 3G tethering en route (40 mins/travel) from my phone. This is from 8am to 3pm.

What I'm trying to say is, hey, I gotta be real lucky, following some logic that inhabits this place.

The Angry Spaniard fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 21, 2012

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Don Lapre posted:

Its not really luck if you have 2 batteries and he has one, that yours lasts longer.

Unplugged the keyboard way before the battery reached 70, so it didn't start charging up.

Believe me, I'm as amazed as you are that Android can talk about battery life in equal terms to Apple, at least in my case.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kynetx posted:

That is also quite an hyperbole. It's just funny to see how apparently "TFP is broken, get your money back" statement seems to be the rule, and not the exception throughout this thread. First runs had a load of bad apples (haha), yes. But later runs have proven to be mostly okay, or at least people don't complain as loud as everyone seemed to when it was released.

There have been other cases of faulty products on the first runs, the most sound that comes to mind being iPhone 4's antenna problems, or HTC Desire battery problems. The companies, as far as I know, repaired the possible problems under warranty without problems (I've read of people sending their Desire back to HTC to get their battery checked and replaced, for free, or with little charge (mailing, I'd guess)). The Prime has had its problem, people with issues have been able to send them back, and even though the device still have some issues and bugs, it truly doesn't deserve being labeled as failure, given that people and reviewers are happy with it. This thread just seems to get all the faulty products, it'd seem. I was just trying to point out that I'm apparently part of the happy 1%.

Also I can't sing during classes, and certainly people wouldn't get it because of an obvious language handicap. :colbert:

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crackbone posted:

No, you're trying to sugar coat a bad product because of the confirmation bias of getting a good one. Tell me, what's an acceptable failure rate to you, as long as you get a good one? How exactly is the average Joe supposed to know how to get a "2nd batch" tablet? The horror stories about Asus support are pretty well documented as well (including the insult of having to PAY SHIPPING to send back their straight-out-of-the-factory defective poo poo).

This is a loving $500 piece of hardware - we're not talking about a $5 DealExtreme calculator here, this is a half a grand piece of kit from a supposedly premiere manufacturer. Maybe because of all this it makes more sense to not reward the company that beta-tested their product on early adopters (see: TF300), and wait for another company to deliver a product that was built properly from square one.

No failure rate is acceptable for me. But fuckups happen. Asus is not the first company to suffer from it, and while certainly there are horror stories about Asus and horrible customer support service, it's probably no different than other fuckups that have happened around, and certainly it's being exaggerated throughout the thread. As much as I've surfed around the Internets looking for feedback on the Prime, most people got good ones, and reviewers depicted this on their reviews. About paying shipment costs, I'd suggest talking to your retailer, which probably can get it replaced without it costing you anything (at least in the EU).

Asus is to blame for having a failure rate of x% percent on their initial runs, yes. poo poo happens. Other devices had issues that were corrected later or fixed by handing out poo poo for free, but I've never seen a circlejerk against the Prime as the one I've read through this thread. I'm not even sure you or anyone have accurate figures to show how much of a failure the Prime has been. Following the present logic, some people claim the TF Prime is a catastrophe and hold onto their experience as true, so I might as well suggest that it's not, based on my personal experience, too.

Besides the GPS antenna problem (which was fixed rather poorly by removing it from the specs, but later patched and fixed to some extent), there's no real accurate data on the Prime. Maybe you'd be kind enough to show it, since you claim that this $500 fine piece of hardware is the worst of this world. Meanwhile, some people who obviously should ask for their money back are happily enjoying their Prime experience, though scientists still can't explain how this could happen.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Twice The Detail. Twice The Fun.

What might this be about? We'll be revealing all at MWC on 27th February...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81FDcFtPZqs&feature=player_embedded

Posted 18 minutes ago on FB by Asus.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you don't mind paying, and your tablet can handle it, I think there's a version of Grand Theft Auto 3 for tablets. I've also played Galaxy On Fire 2 and found it surprisingly fun.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have no problems with mine, other than the Asus weather widget not updating every hour, like I set it to. Also, getting a 10% battery per every hour of use ratio, WiFi and synch on, brightness set to 1/2 of the bar, without the dock, which I guess it's nice. Video playing feels good, though I hate it when I transfer a movie and it can't render it on H/W mode.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

What are good twitter apps for tablets? The official one seems buggy on my prime.

I use Seesmic on my Prime. It's pretty good and very responsive.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Don Lapre posted:

I thought you returned it to amazon a long time ago?

Apparently he prefers to have someone else deal with it, and only for 500 bucks. :downs:

Have you ever considered returning it to factory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Don Lapre posted:

Asus RMA department is loving horrible.

So you'd rather put a defective product for sale on eBay? Isn't that like being a total douche?

"Here, have this Transformer for some bux. Oh, by the way, it's faulty. You'll have to ship it to Asus if you want it to actually work, haha!"

Even if Asus RMA department blows, you might as well try, and then sell it afterwards, duh.