Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Got a new Nexus 10. Used maybe an hour, and while reading some news got a sudden shutdown. Never happened with my android phone, hopefully that is some kind of software bug and not a hardware problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

4.2.2? Using Chrome, right?

4.2.2 yes, not Chrome but gReader. Seems that many people have gotten those random shutdowns too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Only if they come with at least 4K displays.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nexus 10 is starting to feel more and more like a Windows 95 version of Android. Newer Chrome versions have migitated the crashing issues somewhat, altough if wifi is on, the tablet sometimes crashes repeatedly if it leaves the current wifi network's radius.

Also it gets slower and laggier after a couple of days uptime. Just had to restart it again because of lovely responsiveness and constant loading indicators after 6 days of use. I'm using the same apps as with my phone: Nova Launcher, Awful Betamax, gReader, Tapatalk, Chrome etc.

Never seen a week's uptime with Nexus 10. It might be doable if I just let the tablet sit unused, but even then I really doubt you can push this piece of crap that far. Of course there are no real alternatives, the product works most of the time with and the price point is sweet, but I expected more from Google's flagship product :bang:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 13, 2013

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Something's wrong with yours. I never have to reboot mine. I don't use Nova Launcher or gReader or Tapatalk, so maybe it's one of those? I even use Currents, which everyone seems to think is a piece of trash but it works just fine. I had a couple of reboots (in Chrome) after I first got it, but haven't had any since the last update. Mine is at ~360 hours of runtime right now and it only shut off because my girlfriend ran down the battery playing World of Goo. It looks like you got it not too long ago. Can you still exchange it?

It has most of the warranty left, but since I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware problem I'm not too eager yet to send it from Finland to Germany and wait for it to come back - the trip would take weeks. I'm hoping the issues will get fixed with software upgrades and OS upgrades like Android 5.0 later this year.

If not, well

*At this point my fire alarm goes off. Seems I turned the stove's power setting to wrong direction after boiling started. Hopefully I didn't wake up too many people!*

... I can always later send the tablet back and hope it was some kind of obscure hardware problem instead.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Edit: sorry, wrong thread. I meant to post to the android app thread!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Great, now in addition to crashing my Nexus 10 has started eating battery. Last night I noticed it for some reason was only at 15%, so I charged it to 50% and went to bed. This morning the tablet was dead and after turning it on battery was at 4%.

There are no logs in battery history about what is using all that power :suicide:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The is with the Nexus 10 is that it ran very poorly. PDF and Epub apps were jittery and hard to use. I wondered if the high-res display was too much for them.

Enable force gpu rendering from dev settings. Then adobe reader runs pdf's at noticeably higher fps. It still takes time for the content to render, but at least reader stops being pos in every aspect.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Install Windows posted:

You should never run the battery completely down on lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries. At best it achieves nothing, at worst it'll literally destroy parts of the battery and thus permanently reduce capacity.

I'm so glad my Nexus 10 does this for me occasionally. Some lovely pro code by Google craps itself and drains the battery empty. This happened last night, Google Chrome & Google Services took nearly 70% of the battery while the graph looked like \.

In morning I notice my tablet won't turn on anymore, and after plugging it in it displays only a gray charging icon for some time before turning on.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At least samsung's chargers have an usb port, so you can just switch to a longer cable.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wonder how much dough HP handed over to Google for including some lovely print service app "bundled" with 4.4.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For some reason 4.4 killed my Nexus 10's charging speed. 6 hojrs and only 40% charged. No weird app battery usage in battery screen.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hopefully this year someone releases a tablet like Nexus 10 but with a 11-12" screen. Often the nexus 10's display feels too small, when reading comics, watching videos, reading pdf's etc.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

And Samsung answers with a 12.2" model :supaburn: : http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5278924/samsung-galaxy-tabpro-notepro-12-2-tablets-announcement-hands-on

quote:

2.3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor with an Adreno 330 GPU, 3GB RAM, an 8MP rear camera that captures 1080p HD video, a 2.1MP front-facing camera for video calling, WiFi (802.11ac), NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, an IR Blaster, and S-Pen capabilities. In addition, the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 is expected to run Android 4.4.2 KitKat with a new version of TouchWiz (pictured above).

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 7, 2014

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use moon reader. The only one with good format support and lots of config options. The ui is a terrible mess but doesn't get too much in your way after the initial setup.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Bing the Noize posted:

Speaking of news and rumors, is there any word of anything with a screen to rival the N10's coming out anytime soon? The N10 is ugly as sin and lack of removable storage is dumb as h*ck. Mostly I don't wanna spend 350-400 on a late 2012 device...

Last week I forgot my N10 to a computer lab and no one even bothered to steal it. It was right where I had left it when I finally realized something is missing.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems google finally fixed some font scaling fuckery on Nexus 10. Now Something.apk looks better, and play store does not have overlapping text anympre.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

JoeMB posted:

Yea also that. They're may be a couple of good 10 inch android tablets but a lot of apps aren't designed for that form factor, it's either up scaled phone UI or up scaled 7 inch tablet UI.

I've used the nexus 10 for like 1 and half years and the apps are decent, because I don't know about anything better! Goodreads & facebook apps aren't worth installing though.

Forgot my 2A charger elsewhere, I suppose charging my N10 with a 1A charger only means that it charges slower, in other words nothing bad will happen :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone have experience with battery replacements? It feels like my Nexus 10 has lost like 25% of the capacity and I only get around 6 hours out of it these days.

I guess you'd just pop the thing open and swap the battery since Samsung probably doesn't glue stuff together like some other manufactures do. Seems Samsung doesn't sell replacement batteries though and guessing the quality of third party batteries is never fun. :(

The situation is still relatively good, but I got the impression that battery starts to fail faster and faster when it deteoriates since the remaining cells need to work harder. This happened with my Galaxy Note around 2 year mark and being more pre-emptive this time wouldn't hurt.

Of course a larger replacement (around 11-12") would be nice, but I really don't want Touchwiz so for now I'm stuck with Nexus 10.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp time to try those amazon nexus 10 battery kits I guess. Ars got, with 50% brightness,

" In our light use and Web browsing test, we streamed some music from Spotify and alternated between browsing pages with Chrome and reading things in the Kindle app. The tablet lasted a respectable nine hours and 26 minutes while performing these activities."

While currently I have 30% of battery left, and the screen has been on for three hours and 45 minutes. That's with less than 50% brightness and bt off, screen eating most of the battery.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Installed some material desgin apps on my N10. Holy crap the new calendar looks nice. Also gmail supports now 3rd party accounts, switching between them requires only 1 button press. Can't wait for L, it will probably feel like buying a whole new tablet.

Personally I'd like a Nexus 11 or Nexus 12, since 10 is barely large enough for photos, docs, comics etc.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Woop got OTA to Nexus 10. Feels a lot snappier, especially the task switcher is great, and some stuff like options and google now are better optimized for portrait - they have two panels.

Feels like a new tablet now, we'll see how 5.0 works in the long run. No graphical corruption or crashes yet either!

Edit: wow the volume slider is now on top of the screen, so it doesn't block videos etc nearly as badly when adjusting volume.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 18, 2014

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

It just feels oddly vista-like. Clumsy. Lots of graphical effects, like an unnecessary flash of black & white screen when turning the screen off. Its vista-like in its need to be overly visual.

My nexus 10 just zooms out a bit while fading to black. No flashes and animations are quite smooth even on ancient Nexus 10 hardware at 2560x1600.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

They also fixed pocket erasing your devices. One tap counted as one try and after a few taps byebye all data.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

rt_hat posted:

I think the Smart Lock comes in a Google Play Services update, not sure if it has been released yet.

Came some time ago to my N10 and works fine so far.

Anyways, why a 8MB 0.0.1 Android update forces all apps to recompile? That takes forever :D

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Nexus 10 works ok too (with Nova launcher}. Something app started to lag while scrolling though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't know if it's because of 5.1 or what, but app updates now run on lower priority in background. Previously I'd have to stop using my Nexus 10 when an app updated, but now the gui & apps remain responsive.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It is a newer model than my Nexus 10, which has been running 5.1 for some time already. What gives?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

I finally saw a Nexus 10 today. It was in a pawn shop. :v:

I've never seen one actually in use or able to be used. About the same as the Nexus 9.

I wish they refreshed the Nexus 10 with a nicer (oled) display and faster hardware. Othetwise it's pretty much a perfect device for a 10" tablet.

Of course sometimes I'm envious to my friend's Air 2 with BT keyboard...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp got 5.1.1 OTA for my Nexus 10. Good thing Samsung picked decent parts & drivers for the tablet. Soon 3 years old and still getting updates, going strong!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

w00tazn posted:

I'm never buying another NVidia chipset ever again

I made the same decision with nForce2. Also gently caress VIA 333 and AMD 750 or w/e, those three companies really know how to produce garbage chipsets.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Still waiting for my Nexus 10 refresh :negative:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 13, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

mcbexx posted:

If you, like me, still own a 2012 Nexus 7 with Lollipop that has become sluggish and annoyingly unresponsive, try the following:

1) Turn of auto-rotate
2) Go to Settings -> Language & input -> Google Keyboard -> Gesture Typing -> Disable "Dynamic floating preview".

It's notably snappier now.

I don't know what this does, but I don't need it so I disabled it. I also disabled transition animations becausw my Nexus 10's GPU is too slow for thr 2560x1600 res. Feels like I bought a new tablet. Now if I had more room too, 16GB=not enuf.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Nexus 10's battery lasts like 3½ hours these days. Replacement batteries (SP3496A8H) don't seem to be available or the price for a new one is like 200€. Well I guess this is one way to deprecate old hardware...

Pity Pixel C is so hideously expensive. 400€ would be okayish, but no, it's 600€ :negative:

Maybe I should just buy and ipad. At least Apple doesn't stop servicing and updating them anytime soon.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Does Swappa work in non usa countries? I got my pixel c for 300$ in mint condition off of it.

I live in Finland, so even if it worked customs would slap an import tax and vat on top of the device and hideously expensive postage fees. Ipad Air 2 s actually a lot cheaper than Pixel C here...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

The iPad is a great tablet, I would go with it if it's cheaper. :shrug:

Android Tablet Thread: Just buy an iPad

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Slimchandi posted:

Anyone experienced YouTube crashing their N10 lately? I can play a video for around 20s before it hard reboots my trailer, pretty much every time.

My N10 starts playing a video at 144p. I manually change the rez and rewindn-> sound loops and tablet crashes. Nice regression and google doesnt give a gently caress. Maybe old version of the app would work? Higher rez than 1080p has never worked on N10, that's also pretty lol considering the x1600 display...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

https://www.aliexpress.com has good value shenzhen specials for sale.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nexus 10 is what you get when you buy Samsung: 245 crashes and counting since March 2013. These days even watching YouTube crashes the tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Nexus 10 is so godawfully slow compared to Snapdragon 820 driving a 1080p display. It's so slow I don't want to use my tablet anymore. Sadly the screen is 1/4 of Nexus 10's screen, and I wish someone made a new tablet with modern chipset. No one's going to ever make one anymore though, rip tablets