Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

delfin posted:

The main thing is, it still works and my HD10 is engoogled.

Debating if Launcher Hijack is something that I'd want or not.

It isn't perfect but it's an okay solution. A little janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Minty Swagger posted:

I picked up an HD10 on the sale and I love the thing, ended up removing all the amazon apps, put on google play and threw on nova launcher. I didnt update the OS when I turned it on, so I'm on 5.4.x something, is it worth upgrading or who cares?

It's pretty who cares but be careful of I think 54.1.0 because it won't let you down grade ever, and also you can't root reliably (or at all) in versions past it if you care about that.

You also can't ADB reliably past 54.1.0 to uninstall the Amazon bloatware, since the pm uninstall command just plain don't work no more on a lot of apps.

Otherwise yeah it's a fantastic device.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MikeJF posted:

So it's not worth bothering examining ROMs for a Fire, you think? Play Store and LauncherHijack instead?

Will LauncherHijack get reset every time amazon pushes an update?

Apparently noone has been able to get a custom ROM running on the newest version yet. Also Launcherhijack shouldnt be reset on the next update unless they specifically go after it. It's just a regular APK.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

unknown posted:

Trip report - got a Fire HD8 tablet ($99cdn). Followed the above process for installing the play store (worked fine).

I activated the play store under the wrong google account. Went to delete the account, and low and behold, there's no way of removing the account (normally under settings) due to Amazon's customisation. Only way to blow it out was to factory reset the device. That was annoying.

Playa those guys go on sale for $50 all the time. It would be an absolutely amazing device if not for Amazon's customizations. They even managed to completely block root.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

large hands posted:

I grabbed my wife one of the Costco model surface gos and it's been great so far, beautiful little machine. Fast for all our uses and the key cover and kickstand are awesome. Got a USB c to HDMI cable to use it for media at the cabin/traveling. When my original Tab S finally kicks the bucket I'll probably grab one for myself.

It runs all the 2D steam games I've tried so far, didn't think cuphead would run on any integrated graphics chip but now I'm curious to try...

Same trip report here. I used Edge and only played a couple games on an emulator and my girlfriend and I are happy with it. However we ended up selling it to my friend because we already had iPads and didn't need ANOTHER tablet.

I thought that processor was gonna be hosed but I guess not. Weird.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Virtue posted:

Are there any newish tablets around the size of an ipad mini? All I'd use it for is casual media consumption like watching videos on public transit. Cheap is ideal.

Edit: Currently looking at a kindle fire 8" and a samsung galaxy tab A 8"

Fire HD 8 is a great pick for "cheap and can watch movies"!

I'm not certain how the Fire HD 8 works wrt completely divorcing it from the lovely Amazon software (especially the launcher) but within any given app it should work great for your use. Getting Google Play Store on it is a must, take a about 5 minutes to set up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Amazon's HD designation is a little disingenuous considering the resolution is like 720p or whatever on the HD8.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In making those tablets, Amazon had a list of priorities and every single line on that list is “be cheap”. Their support is nearly non existent because it’s cheaper for them to send you an entirely new device than to pay a tech support person an hour’s wages in another country.

Their QA process was almost surely just someone looking at a label and weighing the box within a margin of error.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The cheap tablets have so much bloatware it's absurd so you might end up shoving something like LineageOS onto it like me. There was like 800MB of RAM that was being used on, like, settings and phoning home with the A7. And Samsung isn't the worst of them.

jokes fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got a Samsung A7 (or whatever, I forget) for like $150 a few years ago and it was pretty slow/janky too and I was sorta disappointed. Then I put lineageOS on it and it became infinitely smoother/faster and much less demanding on system resources. Even scrolling through poo poo in apps, or looking at stuff through a browser. It's my go-to for bed-scrolling and streaming now.

I think the issue that everyone complains about with regard to computers is the same issue that budget tablets have: built-in software that taxes the system so much it just breaks down.