Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Glimm posted:

Personally l "dual wield" my phone and tablet to share 4G from my phone to the tablet.

I wanted to do this but didn't want to burn the extra proficiency. Maybe when I switch classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

UK Retailer complaining of ASUS tablet quality issues:
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/02/uk_retailer_clove_refuses_to_sell_asus_transformer_prime/

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You guys who have Costco cards might get a kick out of this. Pretty sure its instore only, but a friend of mine's dad just picked this up. Because I wasn't there I'm not clear on all the details:
- Acer Iconia A500 for 1 cent
- Not sure about the monthly limit, maybe 1gb? Can be upgraded
- I believe like their 1 cent phone offer that you pay GST/HST on the 'real' price of the tablet and there's probably a setup fee
- Provider is either Roger's or Primus, not sure
- In Canada, no idea if US is doing it

Basically you're spending $480 plus tax, though it is at $20/mo. So I guess you can either see it as a slightly more pricy tablet ($449 at Costco) that you pay for monthly with free dataplan, or an expensive dataplan that gives you a free tablet, I'm not sure which.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

WTF? I thought the A500 was WiFi only. Does it come with a 3G dongle or is it actually the A501?

I've got no idea on that front, I haven't even seen it. My buddy did and he's pretty up on tablets since we both obsess over working up the guts to buy one. Here's the only Acer available on Costco's site:
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10361027

It might be like this:
http://infrastructure.it.ubc.ca/2011/12/22/rogers-offers-free-tablet-when-you-purchase-data-plan/

So it sounds like it isn't really Costco's deal, rather it's Rogers. Ironically their site is down for me (or Shaw won't let me visit it??? :tinfoil: ) so I can't confirm the plan but it might be this:
http://www.comparecellular.com/rogers-plans-and-essentials/british-columbia/plan-details.asp?RatePlanID=2643

If it's the provider deal then I guess this is useless outside of Canada, sorry guys.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It could be using their LTE/3G service for all I know. They have a usb-dongle 'rocketstick' but the pricing seems out of whack; rocketsticks start at $35/mo for 500mb. Maybe I'll ask in the Canadian cellular thread.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

A tablet on a wireless contract that doesn't have a cellular antenna.

Welp.

Have more details on this. It must be the A501 because my friend is saying that it's SIM card based and there was no rocket stick.

He's thinking about getting one himself; is there anything out and out wrong with this deal other than the fact that you're basically eventually paying $480 over two years for a last generation tablet?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

Have more details on this. It must be the A501 because my friend is saying that it's SIM card based and there was no rocket stick.

He's thinking about getting one himself; is there anything out and out wrong with this deal other than the fact that you're basically eventually paying $480 over two years for a last generation tablet?

I talked him around and he got the Galaxy Tab instead; to tell the truth he didn't need much convincing he just had to had to lift them. Thanks for the help guys... now to figure what the hell I'm going to get... I watch a lot of video so I'm thinking the Prime will be better but I can't even think of affording it for quite a while anyway. Luckily they're in stock all over finally in Canada.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I helped my buddy set up the Galaxy tab he got. It's really nice; far easier to handle than my Xoom was and now (unlike last August when I had the Xoom) there's actually working RDP apps! :argh: I'm tempted to jump on this generation now maybe since it seems to do everything on tin now, as opposed to then.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dissss posted:

It definitely works with NTFS volumes too, at least on the stock firmware (currently 3.2)

The main issue I have with my A500 is sheer heft - its on the chubby side even for a fairly early Honeycomb tablet. Some build issues too, flimsy microSD slot cover, cruddy feeling orientation lock switch but these are pretty minor in the scheme of things.

Yeah, the A500 is about an average experience for its generation. Nothing really great, nothing really terrible. A bit too big and clunky but still a tablet.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Codiusprime posted:

Sorry, wrong thread.

Android Tablet Megathread: Guys iOS5 Runs Great on the 3GS

Android tablet thread: iOS, styluses, high pass movie encodes, hell we'll fight about anything

Actual question:
I mentioned my buddy picked up a Galaxy Tab and there's a weird thing with that didn't happen on my Xoom. Youtube videos won't full screen. I dug around the Google on this and it seems that only videos encoded at >720 will full screen? I could have sworn I was able to do this on my Xoom, but that was back in August.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dissss posted:

Which version of the Galaxy Tab? (original or a newer one)

I don't have that issue on my 3.2 A500

Original version 10.1". I know the bottom button bar is hard to get rid of, but it's not even full screening up to that (in browser or youtube app).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Milky_Sauce posted:

I like Splashtop but is it any different than TeamViewer in any way? I've noticed they both have a fairly choppy experience compared to RDP.

It depends on what you're doing. RDP is probably still the best for just 'using' Windows because of how it abstracts some of the interface elements (e.g. it doesn't just screen scrape that window, it sends/emulates the GDI calls to open them on your system). TeamViewer and Splashtop are closer to VNC in that regard, in that they seem to be more about screen scraping/desktop casting (though not exclusively obviously).

This Wikipedia article might help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

But basically for me it comes down to:
- Interacting with Windows administratively: RDP
- Non-Windows administratively: VNC
- Windows recreationally (e.g. videos, web browse): Something like splashtop
- Non-Windows recreationally: Team Viewer

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It seems odd that the new tablet announcements I've seen are still on the same Tegra dual core processors. Are ASUS and Acer(A700) the only guys on the bandwagon with kal-el among the tablet bigs right now?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Who can forget the classics?
http://code.google.com/p/nethack-android/

Haven't played it but I imagine it's pretty tedious without a hardware keyboard.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't know if anyone's posted this already, but Toshiba is apparently flirting with the idea of a 13.3" Win 8 tablet:
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/03/06/toshiba_outs_monster_13_inch_tablet_concept/

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Splizwarf posted:

Huh? I was just commenting on how nice some second-rate stuff can be, and speculating about the reasons. Asus problems were outside the scope of my post. v:shobon:v

Feature creep setting in.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dodoman posted:

Android Tablet Thread:No really, buy an iPad

Android Tablet Thread: Your Purchasing Priorities are Different Than Mine

I have to say I'm warming up to the Transformer Prime. Speaking personally I'm glad I got a Xoom a long time ago, tried it out, and then returned it and decided to wait out the initial rush. My friend who got a Galaxy tab doesn't really use it; it's been sitting on his desk for the last week not having been touched once. They're extremely neat devices, still not sure if I need one though. I think for me the next bump up in resolution will probably seal the deal.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I haven't seen any reactionary price drops because I don't think that there's much margin on tablets to begin with. It's rapidly turning into the PC market.

I also don't think people are comparing iPad to Android in terms of price/performance at this point. Android's share of the market, while noticeable, is not really significant enough that people are putting them side by side and saying 'hmm yes, the cpu/$ figure of this tablet favors me'.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't know about the other questions, but according to their docs the Sony tablet does all kinds of crazy remote control poo poo on their products, PS3s, TVs, etc. Apparently it's built right in.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kynetx posted:

I'm no OS evangelist. If anyone in YOSPOS actually read my posts they'd know that. I have no problem with iOS, or WP7 or whatever. I don't think I've ever recommended a single one over another. For gifts, I've bought 1 WP7 phone, 4 iOS devices and 3 Android. I would never presume to tell someone that their preferences are invalid. Don't mistake this with putting up with FUD from fanboys.

I think I need to be in your circle of friends then because I've never given or received a phone for a gift ;)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Has there ever been a product launch schedule this hosed up in the history of mobile computing? It feels like there's no point in getting >anything< because it's going to be superseded within a few weeks. At least with HP they only released one major SKU, same with Blackberry and the playbook.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don Lapre posted:

Lots of things are harder than glass.

Yeah I do a lot of loose diamond sales and I've always got gems in my pocket along side my phone and it pisses me off asus!!! :argh: Where's my diamond screen??

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kynetx posted:

...and no mention of Motorola or Asus.
Furthermore, I don't think I've ever seen a non-Apple tablet in the wild.

Bizarrely I've seen more Playbooks than anything else, but maybe that's because I'm in Canada.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There's a 24hr coffee shop in the foot of my office building, with a university library across the street, a technical college down the block, and a film school within two blocks. So I see a lot of tablets is what I'm saying.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

coolskillrex remix posted:

Uhh who are you shopping from? I cant remember the last package ive had to sign under $500. $500 is where fedex/ups force companies to pay for signed delivery, anything under that and they dont care.

For an extra fee the shipper can demand signature required on the order.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Saw this today:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/08/elecom_nfc_android_keyboard/

Basically a silicon keyboard that uses NFC instead of bluetooth/wireless/usb. This one is kind of a non starter for me since the battery can't be replaced and I'm not a fan of flexible keyboards anyway. But I was wondering, are there advantages to using NFC? Is it better on battery life than bluetooth? Is the connection better/more stable?

The reason I'm interested is that I like Android but I hate onscreen keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ThermoPhysical posted:

A lot of colleges are actually teaching more about automated tools and not actual HTML. I was required to take a class for Microsoft Expression Studio 3 and was told, word-for-word, "No one codes in HTML anymore. If you actually get contracted to make a website, you're going to be using programs like this."

I got a B in the class but learned HTML on my own anyway from W3C because I needed it for a future class.

If what I was told is true, I don't have much hope for HTML5's growth unless it's stuffed into something like Expression Studio or Dreamweaver.

I uh... still hand write HTML. Not en masse or anything but if something has to get up quick. I wonder if in 10 year's time that's going to make me the equivalent of someone who does everything in machine code.