Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What have other Prime users done to secure their microsd card from falling out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fondue posted:

They fall out? I've got one in mine right now and it's hard to put in and take out as it is.

It sticks out when its inserted, so if you set it down and it pushes it in, and then you lift up the tablet it can fall out without you noticing it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Frozen-Solid posted:

I found my first MAJOR complaint with the Prime, and I'm not even sure if it's something I should even be complaining about but holy gently caress this bugs me.

I can't charge the Prime via USB on my laptop. I don't know why, it just doesn't charge. I plug it in, and see no charging icon. I also tried charging it in my car using a car plug -> USB jack and it didn't work. THEN I got out my mini power inverter, plugged the USB cable into the wall jack, then plugged that into the inverter, and that actually works. I even tried plugging my Kindle's wall jack USB box thing, and that won't charge the Prime either. There's got to be something special about that stupid ASUS power box, which is really loving stupid.

The prime uses a stupid 15v charger instead of a 5v like most USB devices.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

zer0spunk posted:

I actually don't mind higher voltage since the thing charges from 1-100 in 3 hours. At a ratio of 3 hours charging to 8-10 hours of use, that's pretty decent. People complain about the non standard cable, but that's the tradeoff, 3x the charging time @ 5v on microusb to stay in spec, or cut down drastically but have to do it in a proprietary cable.

I think I sold a friend on an android tablet when he was able to watch the bruins/ranger game live/fullscreen on one those flash streaming rebroadcaster sites while we were in the field on a job.

USB @ 5v is able to charge just as fast though. Like ios devices using 2.1a @ 5v. You can still charge off regular usb chargers at different speeds.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

zer0spunk posted:

what's the ipad charge time at 5v 2.1a?
A few hours.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Apple doesn't send their devices out of the store - most they'll do is hold onto it while parts come in. The techs live in-house.

Geek Squad is run by a bunch of retards, sorry if this is news to you but it's universally true. They are crooks.

Apple stores do send repairs out. You can then have it returned to,the store or shipped to you.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

That's....odd.

I'm really trying to figure out what the extra inch of screen real estate is really going to give someone.

That just must be the smallest that they can produce a 2560×1600 panel.

Its Samsung, they have a 5.3", 7", 7.7", 8.9", and a 10.1" tablet. ANOTHER screen size shouldn't be very surprising.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

Viewsonic Viewpad 10s is $235 today on Tiger Direct via eBay. There are at least a couple HC ROMs for this and maybe some ICS work in the pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewSonic-10%22-WiFi-Internet-Tablet/320840004836

Arn't these the ones with the absolute horrible screens?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

the yeti posted:

Am I missing something obvious about using a USB extension cable with my Transformer? It doesn't seem to charge with one in line between the wall wart and the cable that comes with it.

Yeah, I realize I'm the crazy one for needing more than a 3 whole inches or whatever of cable length :rolleyes:

Are you using a 3.0 cable

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Great. Mine arrives tomorrow from Amazon. I've read about people sperging about wifi issues...is that it? I know every negative review on Newegg has a response from Asus support (which curiously points to an XDA thread for help) saying they are working on a fix (plastic back?).

Now, on your link, Asus seemingly angrily "refutes any and all claims from third-parties regarding the quality of our products."

So, they admit there is an issue on Newegg, but make this bold statement? Also, when people bitch about the GPS, Asus' reply is "sorry, it's not a professional GPS unit so expect it to be half-baked."

Having just dropped $500 on this thing, I'm both confused and concerned, all at the same time.

Did I make a mistake buying this thing? Will wifi even be usable in hotels (I travel a lot) where the signal isn't like the router is sitting in the room with you (i.e. hotel wifi is usually weak)?

Edit: here is where Asus support sends you for help on this "non-issue" issue...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1443868

Let's get it together Asus. What's the deal with this thing?

Edit2: submitted to Engadget. I'm spergin' in advance of even receiving one! Asusgate?

Gps is so bad they actually removed it from the spec sheet after they started selling them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

There's been a lot of speculation about one ASUS mystery product.

Is it a pad? or is it a phone?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Crackbone posted:

Bad wifi and gps from bad design
Reports of backlight bleed
A non-flush microsd port
Reported lockups/crashes
A battery charger that can overheat

This is what's been found so far with a highly limited release. If the initial build quality is this bad, how well do you think the thing will hold up in 6 months?

Screens also are separating from the back.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kynetx posted:

Something's been bugging me; why the rush to retina displays? I have a 15" Toughbook with a 1900x1200 display and the pixel density is too high. I find myself leaning in and squinting all the time. A 10" or 7" tablet would be miserable.
Everything stays the same size, it's just higher resolution.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rastor posted:

iPhone, iPhone 4, iPad, soon iPad 3 if it has a doubled resolution as rumored. That's 4 resolutions to worry about. Who knows how many there will be another 2 years down the road.

Retina display is simply twice the resolution of non retina. You just have to include artwork for both resolutions.

Ipad3 should be the same thing, so ipad developers just need to include high dpi graphics.

You dont have to actually develop for 4 different resolutions.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rastor posted:

Maybe you could go discuss how happy you are in the appropriate thread?

:staredog: Im correcting the poor information that YOU brought up

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

We don't have much luck ignoring the YOSPOS idiots I know but a boy can dream.

YOSPOS didn't start this, it was Gorilla Salsa amazing ios rant out of loving nowhere.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BonzoESC posted:

Doesn't 2.3 have those too? I used them on my HTC Vivid which is pretty new, and also on un-named competitor phone that's had them since 2010.

Yes, you just had to manually create them instead of dragging and dropping.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kynetx posted:

Thanks for helping to minimize the animosity.

OK, so I know gently caress-all about app development, but I've always wondered if the soultion to the scaling headaches would be going with a vector format instead of dealing with upscaling and interpolation bullshit. poo poo, SVG is already an XML-based format and the file size is tiny.

Sure for images. But you still have the issue that tablet apps can and should work differently than phone apps.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

McLarenF1 posted:

First I just want to say thanks to the happy Prime owners that chimed in before the recent drama broke out.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, and on a properly built product you shouldn't even have to do stuff like this, but those of you Prime owners that are having issues, you might want to check this out; a simple possible fix for wifi and gps signal is to simply squeeze the top of your device to better engage the pogo pins to the antenna inside the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgx2Kpfi-Ps&hd=1

Im hoping the EEE Transformer Prime TF300T and the TF700T dont have these problems

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Holy poo poo I thought your last post was a joke but you really meant it. Shouldn't pretty much every Prime be within the warranty period? I've read the ones with the later revisions don't have the same problem.

They removed GPS off the spec sheet, they all have the same problems

This is a possible fix though

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

I NEVER would have thought that GPS on a wifi only tablet was such a loving big priority for people that they are literally destroying their $500 devices to possibly get to work.

What the gently caress? If you need GPS on your wifi device, just buy something else. Not an iPad though. Apple also didn't think people would use GPS on their wifi model.

Alot of people bought the device when it was advertised as having GPS. Asus advertised GPS when they first marketed the product.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TildeATH posted:

I remember complaining and constantly being aware of my inability to do simple things like post on SA using the effing browser back in HC 3.0-3.2 and that was after the stock browser finally got better than the competitors. Honeycomb really was such a piece of crap. How can you be several multi-jillion dollar companies working together on something and end up with it being so bad?

Honeycomb was horribly delayed but they had to have something to compete so they took their developers off the phone part and rushed the tablet part and shipped it unfinished.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

You still need iTunes to transfer files into apps

There are apps that can access the file system without itunes and you can manually put stuff into your device. The mame app works this way. Apps can also provide wifi access independent of itunes to copy data too and from the device.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SlayVus posted:

So why does each stylus I've seen all have large points? I've tried to find a fine point stylus, but the few I've seen have a fine pont that require you to attach a circular disc at the end.

Is there a TRUE fine point stylus out there? Like ones used on computer drawing tablets.

Also, I sent my Prime in for RMA last week. The rma status page says they haven't received it yet. My delivery receipt said it would be delivered on saturday(USPS). How long should I wait until I contact asus to see if they received it?

Track the package and see if it was delivered.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

Speaking as a guy who ships stuff for a living, without a tracking number you're at the absolute mercy of the Postal Service. Tracking codes are the only defense.

Yea delivery conf is like 19c if you do your postage online. No reason not to do it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rotaryfun posted:

And Asus just announced that ICS on the original Transformer has been pushed back to ~March... hopefully.

In my RSS feed, that article was followed up by a rumor that Jelly Bean will be announced and "launched" in the second quarter of this year... awesome. I like updates as much as the next guy. But when they come out but don't actually get pushed out by the manufactures... well gently caress that's just annoying.

Atleast the prime should get a timely update to jelly bean.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Uthor posted:

Is there an aftermarket power charger that works with the OG Transformer? Mine's pretty much poo poo the bed. I thought there was some sort of electronic safety switch in the OEM charger that kept it from putting out too much power and I'm worried that the Transformer won't pull the charge it needs from just any old random one.

The problem with the transformer is its a goofy rear end 15v charger. Some people have cut up and modified generic laptop chargers to work, on xda.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Merkinman posted:

It would be nice if there was a standard set of hardware so it could be more like PCs: Variety of hardware, yet still able to get the latest version of Windows (or Linux) in a timely manner.

Unfortunately Google and OEMs have absolutely no reason to do this.

Like windows phone?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rastor posted:

Another leak of the Transformer 300T (the one with a different back that, presumably, doesn't block Wifi and GPS signals):

http://androidcommunity.com/asus-transformer-tf300t-leaks-again-in-benchmarks-confirms-tegra-3-20120216/

So its just a prime thats been built properly? Guessing they arn't going to let prime buyers get plastic backs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Frozen-Solid posted:

The battery update on the prime this week is amazing.

But isn't that showing you haven't actually used it except to take the screenshot?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Quite an stupidly hyperbolic statement, don't you think? Where do you get this info from? You can count me out of that "money back" list, for one. I've tried both, I have the Prime, and I'm really happy with it. I can't stop my :smug: face from coming out when I see my Apple fanboy classmates watch as their iPad 2 runs out of battery, and my tablet keeps running no prob. And then I plug in the keyboard dock.

And, as far as I know, battery, backlight bleeding and signal problems have been corrected with the latest models. At least, mine's nowhere as painfully bad as a lot of people depicted on this thread, quite the opposite.

You have a 10 hour class?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Angry Spaniard posted:

My class are usually spaced, so it's not weird to arrive at college early morning and leave by the evening. And we all have OCD problems with checking Twitter, FB and the like.

e: today though, friend brought iPad with 60% battery left (didn't charge it the previous night), left college with 15. Mine was 90%, arrived home with 60-ish, having abused 3G tethering en route (40 mins/travel) from my phone. This is from 8am to 3pm.

What I'm trying to say is, hey, I gotta be real lucky, following some logic that inhabits this place.

Its not really luck if you have 2 batteries and he has one, that yours lasts longer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

Hey look, a link that has Transformer Prime information and failure rates.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57373634-94/putting-the-transformer-prime-in-perspective/

Spoiler Alert: It's less than 1%

Most people won't rma the unit cause most of the issues are design problems and short of returning the unit to the place they bought it there is no fix.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Well the Prime I ordered and promptly returned to Amazon was riddled with issues. The XDA (I know) Prime forum is a scary place. Nothing but rage complaints and this poor guy Gary with Asus actually posts there trying to help people. I cannot imagine his PM inbox volume. He's a brave man.

And I imagine that statement about "only 1%" was a carefully crafted PR move by Asus. The Prime is littered with issues, period.

But then again, for once, I am the 1%. :smug:
The whole interview is a pr fluff piece.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gorilla Salsa posted:

How do I find out what my Transformer Prime's serial number is? :)

There is a sticker on the bottom but they have been known to fall off. If you don't have the no serial bug then you should be able to find it in settings.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

Your anecdotal and forum based evidence is quite convincing.

It's admitted in the article that wifi and gps issues are a design problem with the tablet which means everyone will have them to some extent.

Even though GPS has been officially removed from the specifications, we continued to improve our firmware for A-GPS operation to download LTO (Long Term Orbits) automatically to assist in GPS lock speeds for users. However, we cannot guarantee robust performance in this mode for all users due to the unit design.

The third area of concern reported by users is general Wi-Fi performance. A variety of conditions ranging from router signal quality to environmental conditions can affect Wi-Fi performance. In addition, due to the all-aluminum unibody design structure, the Wi-Fi performance of the Transformer Prime might not always match that of other designs in selected situations. However, the normal user experience is not adversely impacted and performance of this design passes a strict Asus internal qualification test.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

evilweasel posted:

What's the usual lag time between a tablet announcement and being able to actually buy it?

Asus showed off the TF700T at CES and it probably wont be out till june or july.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GreatKesh posted:

Wow

I remember when people bashed Apple for their yearly releases, this is a million times worse. Atleast Apple products work on launch (Ok maybe the iphone didn't but they handled that much better than Asus and the TFP)

I dont know how someone could bash a company for doing a yearly release schedule, especially when some companies seem to do monthly release schedules.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

I don't think you can pull 15A though standard micro USB

You dont need 15a to charge a tablet. An ipad uses 2.1a and 5v which microusb should also be able to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I dont understand why they all went with this 15v crap. Its completely unnecessary except for making you order ac adapters from them directly.