Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ModestMuse posted:

They use proprietary cables to allow them to charge the tablet faster.

So they could do micro USB charging, but it would take forever fully charge the tablet.

Sorry for not stating my volts/amps/ohms/watts/joules/coulombs right.

The proprietary cable doesn't allow them to charge the tablet faster, they could have engineered it to do the same thing with microusb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They could have designed it to use 5v like ios devices and when you have a bad ac adapter you can just go buy anything made for an ipad instead of having to order their own $30 power brick.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

So what format is the plug?

The transformers and galaxy tabs are both proprietary i think. The dell streak used PDMI. and a bunch of them use barrel plugs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The iPad has its own proprietary connector so that wouldn't do any good unless your cable was still in good shape, in which case any number of 110VAC->5VDC adapters would work.

The ipad chargers arn't hard wired. Its just a brick with a usb connector thats designed to put out 2.1a.

Splizwarf posted:

The Galaxy Tab is PDMI with two of the pins reversed, IIRC, because I have a Streak and the Tab's connector fits but doesn't work.

If its not electrically compatible then it might as well not be pdmi.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

The Prime charge puts out 15 VDC / 1.2 Amps
USB port is 0.5 VDC / 0.5 Amps.
iPad charge does 5 VDC / 2.0 Amps

*my source is some dude on a forum

so can a microUSB output 15 VDC at 1.2 Amps?

USB is 5v @ .5a. However lots of laptops and motherboards can do 5v @ 2.1a now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That's why I mentioned "any number of 110VAC->5VDC adapters." Similar adapters are made by Samsung, RIM and several third parties. That's still doesn't solve the problem of the proprietary connector on the device itself. It's not so bad with Apple since the cables are easy to find due to ubiquity, but other manufacturers without a large install base are just being jerks by making a new connector.

Most of the issues people are having is their bricks failing, not the cables. Alot of people on XDA were actually asked to send their tablet back with their ac adapters when the bricks failed.

They had no other option other than ordering the correct proprietary brick online, and when the transformer first came out you couldn't even do that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hotsauce posted:

My power brick gets nuclear, but the Transformer is just hot. Not untouchable though.

Couple people have seriously attached heatsinks and solved their problems.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So they are releasing 2 10.1" tablets?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

What kind of price difference is asus expencting between all 3 of these devices?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

God I hope the iPad 2 gets price cut to $299 or $249 to force some downward pressure on the midrange Android tablets. The $499 starting price of some mid tier Android tablets is kind of irksome.

I doubt it, Apple sells as many as they can make at $499+. No reason to cheapen it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

lamentable dustman posted:

400/500/600/700(LTE) is the estimate on Anandtech. But I don't think there is anything official on the 300 and Infinity

If its $700 on contract in the US then thats gonna be loving absurd.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rastor posted:

According to rumor, the iPad 3 may come with a price hike. That doesn't bode well for a huge discount on the iPad 2.

Why would a chinese site and chinese document be using US prices?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

It does make a compelling argument to drop the iPad 2 to $299 or so, because even at that price only about 15% of the iPad-buying segment is interested in that, and presently non-Android tablets collectively control about 5% of the industry.

Why would you lower the price of something you cannot build fast enough?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Jesus Christ Samsung/Verizon, 500 bucks for the Galaxy 7.7 ON CONTRACT?

Yea, the contract prices for some of the android tablets blow my mind.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Samsung is also working on sCloud but its been delayed till august? i think.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think at this point Android tablets in general need to step it the gently caress up. Cut the cheap hardware, shaky software etc and actually try and compete with the iPad.

The problem with android tablets and price isn't the quality. Its simply that they arn't ipads. People go to the store and they can either afford an ipad, or they can afford something else.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think most people think they are, though. People will happily pay $100-200 more because they know it's not some fly-by-night tablet.

I mean really, you think people actually want to buy a tablet made by Acer (for example)? Sure people on forums like these might, but as you can see from Android tablet sales that really doesn't mean poo poo.

I guess basically what I'm trying to say is Android Tablets need a big item/event like Android phones needed the OG Moto Droid.

The perception that Android tablets are cheap is certainly out there though. Android phones had the same problem until Moto/google stepped up with the OG Droid.

The average person has no perception about android tablets being cheap or anything, all they know is its not an ipad.

Its basically the iphone vs evo4g conversation.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was almost set to buy the 7.0 Plus until I saw the Windows 8 consumer preview video on Engadget last night. Its hard to buy something when a newer version or better product keeps coming out every week.

Get used to never buying anything. By the time these new MWC tablets come out there will be something else announced or leaked.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

McLarenF1 posted:

I think the biggest point that they missed is the reason that iOS devices are so smooth is that Apple controls them

I thought that google engineer explained that it was because google doesn't prioritize touch in their operating system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, they had a seeding program that gave away Droids to developers. To qualify you had to have had an app on the market with >5000 downloads and better than 3.5 star average rating, and everyone who attended I/O in 2010 got one free before the conference too.

Today I just got a mail about an event going on at a university near me where MS is offering to give away free Windows phones as part of a three day hackathon style event. You have 42 hours to create 3 Windows Mobile apps, and if you succeed you get a free phone. So clearly they're trying the same tactic here...

Microsoft give free phones out all the time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Scaramouche posted:

Don't know if anyone's posted this already, but Toshiba is apparently flirting with the idea of a 13.3" Win 8 tablet:
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/03/06/toshiba_outs_monster_13_inch_tablet_concept/

I imagine there will be lots of unweidly large tablets meant to go into keyboard docks. Just wait, guaranteed there is going to be a size race and we are going to see 21" tablets.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

unknown posted:

Apple makes money on the sales of Apps, so can subsidize/take a lower profit on the hardware retail price. If anyone actually got a cut of all Android app sales, you can bet there would be a reduction in pricing out there. One of the areas that Apple has squarely beaten Android.

Apple hardly makes any money off the app store relative to their other income, certainly not enough to subsidize their products.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

Yeah, that alleged 7" Nexus tablet from Asus and Google at ~249 (or was it 199?) seems like something that would be a winner.

However it was a no show at MWC.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

raruler posted:

Please, Samsung isn't dumb, they wait until after Apple keynotes to figure out what they'll be working on.

I thought samsung already announced their tablets. The 300 and 700.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Did Samsung announce anything really new other than a re-release of the 10.1 and a 10.1 with a stylus?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Has anyone torn apart a LTE and an EVDO xoom and seen what they actually do?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hotsauce posted:

I reformatted twice before doing a clean ICS install and mine reboots at least once a day. Also when used with the keyboard dock it reboots all the time. This morning I woke to it on the dock, frozen on the Asus boot screen. It was red hot and the battery was nearly drained.

Its going on ebay tonight as I have ordered an iPad. I'm done with this thing.

I thought you returned it to amazon a long time ago?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Apparently he prefers to have someone else deal with it, and only for 500 bucks. :downs:

Have you ever considered returning it to factory?

Asus RMA department is loving horrible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Angry Spaniard posted:

So you'd rather put a defective product for sale on eBay? Isn't that like being a total douche?

"Here, have this Transformer for some bux. Oh, by the way, it's faulty. You'll have to ship it to Asus if you want it to actually work, haha!"

Even if Asus RMA department blows, you might as well try, and then sell it afterwards, duh.

It might actually come back worse from RMA.

edit:
Screen doesn't work after RMA
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1522556&highlight=rma

Got a TF101 back
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1511758&highlight=rma

Glass not aligned and turns off by itself
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1501110&highlight=rma

Prime destroyed by texas RMA center
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1461570&highlight=rma

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 8, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Asus CS in general is pretty horrible.

I bought the only Transformer Prime within 75 miles and the charging cable was defective. I called and asked if they could send me a new one (I even offered to give a deposit, it's a cable that costs them $2) and I would send the old one back. The guy said I could either send them the cable first, and get a new one mailed back to me in 2-4 weeks after a technician looked at the cable, or just buy one from their website for $20.

One guy on XDA had to send the whole tablet back even though he had two and could confirm the device was fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just got my taxes back today. Unless you guys can point out a better tablet for $300, I think I may buy the Samsung 7.0 Plus this weekend, ICS be damned.

Didn't Samsung or asus show off a 7" ics tablet at ces 2 months ago. I'm sure it's coming out soon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you buy a prime just make sure you buy it locally so you can return or exchange it easily.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Have any retailers started preorders on the Asus Transformer Prime Infinity TF700t yet?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TildeATH posted:

Does anyone else feel like they've been transported to the Engadget comments section? This thread has grown even more content-free than usual. I'm getting a little upset that folks occasionally discuss their Android tablets here because it makes me actually check it from time to time.

So, in my foolhardy attempt to discuss Android tablets, is there any real word on the next Google reference tablet?

Nothing has really happened. Samsung showed off a bunch of re releases of their existing tablets. Asus showed off some tablets with zero release dates. Motorola is no where to be seen.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Ahem.

The Xyboard would like to have a word with you...

Oh, wait, no scratch that the Xyboard is good. Carry on.

The Xyboard came out 4 months ago. And is basically a xoom with funny corners.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Is this the actual advertisement done by motorola?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So are there any 7" tablets on the market running ICS for around ~$300?

Asus announced one at CES but it wasn't anywhere to be seen at MWC.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ultrabooks are just thin laptops. they generally have decent specs and so far terrible touchpads since people are trying to do multitouch trackpads on windows.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wibbleman posted:

Are you sure that apple created the first one? I remember the Toshiba Portege existed back in 1996 or so that was pretty much a ultrabook. Same as the sony Viao C1's. (I accept that they were had pretty terrible performance, but were pretty much ultrabooks much ahead of the technology that they needed to be good)

Most of the old devices were small all around like netbooks. The air is like a full sized laptop but really thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Asus support just blows my loving mind.

For context, alot of prime users are having the glass crack on their devices with no signs of impact. Just a nice big crack across the display.

quote:

Just received the following response to an email I sent ASUS 10 days ago (05 March) regarding my cracked TF201 screen (details posted previously) and my dismay that the local Australian service centre claimed all cracks are CID and would cost AUD $400 to repair:

------------------
Dear valued customer
Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Service

Many apologies. So would you please install the latest version of ICS(ice cream sandwich) for a try. If the problem still exists, I suggest you to reinstall the operating system. If you could not solve the problem yet, I am afraid that you have to send the pad to RMA if you want to use this pad properly in the future. As for the replacement or refund, you can contact the RMA to discuss or debate with them, maybe under the warranty policy, you can win this arguement. Many apologies again.

Hopefully, you can solve this problem after my suggestion. I wish any inconveniences which coursed by me could be understood by you. If you have any problems, please contact our ASUS Technical Service without hesitations.

Take care and have a good day!

Best Regards
Elmer
-------------------

quote:

UPDATE: Wow - I wish Elmer had been right. Just heard back from DingoTech (the Aussie service centre) after attempting repeatedly to contact them. Not surprisingly they deemed the cracked screen as "physical damage - out of warranty" and want either $412.50 to have it repaired or $150.00 to return the unit to me un-repaired (this to cover a $100.00 inspection fee and $50.00 shipping costs).