Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Should I cut my losses and sell my N7 2012 16GB for $50 before N9 is released account of it slowing down dramatically the last few weeks? I still use it but I think it's getting choppy and apps are always crashing for no reason. I can still read ebooks/email but that's kinda not why I bought it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So what are the chances that the N7 2013 will go on sale for Black Friday (USA)?

Although, I like the N9, I don't like the price increase. I tend to wait for reviews/reactions for new tech products because money.

I'll be using my tablet as a glorified glow in the dark e-reader.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Given that the N7 is being sold for next to nothing refurb on eBay I'd say you have your answer about a discount. Just buy one there if that's what you want, for $130 I don't see how you can lose.

I've bought pre-owned tech before but never refurb is there a good returns policy?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

BoyBlunder posted:

Would the aspect ratio of a Nexus 9 be more favorable for comics, versus say a Nexus 7? I've got a Nexus 7 2013 which I use for some sysadmin'ing but mainly comic reading but I'm getting the new tech toy itch.

I found the N7 aspect to be fine for single page reading of most comics. The 4:3 ratio feels awkward as it doesn't improve my reading enough to justify a N9 purchase.

I'm still sad as Google is discontinuing my favorite N7 sooner than I expected. I guess, I could just read paper comic books like before.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tunga posted:

You're going to stop using your tablet because Google stopped selling it?

I was looking forward to more 7 inch tablets from Google. Right now I have no tablet :20bux:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

The nexus 9 would be a great tablet at $239.

Indeed I would've gotten one at that price point.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I really need a bigger screen. I started to have to read full page PDFs for work that are very hard to read on the N7. On the N9, though, it's perfectly fine and my knees are all dapper looking.

True, PDFs never looked great on my N7 even when they weren't laggy. I did like it for reading everything else though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Besides it being a dick move to discount something so deeply that just came out and a bunch of people spent full price on, it's a doubly dick move to have a flash sale on something that many people aren't even able to GET because of limited stock.

Then, on top of all that, the website is broken.

Oh well, it's only on the 16gb model and that's pretty useless to me anyways.

I could deal w/16Gb for $200 off. I even went to bed late last night and still missed out.

Maybe the ends justify the means? The site did get a ton of press and traffic in one shot too.

I guess, I'll be camping out waiting for BF/CM deals this month :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

hotsauce posted:

If you aren't buying it with the 10% movers coupon... anyhow, bracing for the trashing of the $700 N6. That thing better be absolutely perfect or internet lynch mob kicks into high gear.

B-but for me $700 feels expensive for a smartphone. Ofc, I don't own one per se but I can buy a lot of ebooks/books for that price.

Maybe a new custom PC if I had enough dedication :20bux:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Instagram is the laziest social media service ever. You can't even upload photos from the web browser version or edit anything for that matter.

NSA doesn't seem to mind :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TheQat posted:

Android police is reporting that lollipop is on hold for other devices because of a Wi-Fi battery bug. This should explain some of the poor n9 battery life.

One of my friends asked if there are any notable upgrades/changes in lollipop so is there a definitive list anywhere? I know about the new design elements and some official apps were improved upon.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Decius posted:

Android Police has a nice Feature Spotlight series on it: http://www.androidpolice.com/tags/lollipop-feature-spotlight/

Thanks, much appreciated. Now to wait to see if there will be any deals :sigh:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Someone talk me out of getting a Nvidia Shield Tablet, I have a N7 and don't like the aspect ratio of the N9 because I mostly use it for video.

IIRC isn't it for "gaming"? I've never considered playing ALL the games on tablets and when I did it drained my battery insanely fast...

Also, the N7 2013 is a nice tablet already.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Boywunda posted:

Yes it's primary focus is for gaming. Hook it up to your TV and play in console mode (with the shield wireless controller), battery life is pretty spectacular....granted the screen time is OFF during that, so that's a huge reason. I charge my tablet, then unplug and connect to my TV, change to console mode, play hours worth of games and not need to charge for 2-3 days. As soon as you exit console mode and the screen time increases, now the battery drains quickly.

Hmm---I like high battery life but I don't really play many console games at all nowadays. I'd like a tablet <10" w/a long battery life just for reading ebooks and comics and a part of the android ecosystem.

Lower price point than $250 would be great too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My nexus 7 died a few weeks ago, so I recently got a Galaxy tab 7 4th generation.

I gotta say, I like this thing a lot. Lighter than my n7, a fuckton faster, and it even has a smaller footprint. I also like having a physical home button, it's nice being able to press that to wake up the device instead of the power button. Very happy with it so far.

Was it a 2012 or 2013 N7? I saw the Galaxy tab 7 at Staples but I'm somewhat overly attached to the N7 tablet.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

A 2012. I would have kept it if it didn't poo poo out on me, but it did so here I am.

I really do like it, though I guess if you're one of those people who sperg out about Samsung UI stay away? It doesn't bother me and actually multi window mode owns bones. Read some reviews on it because they definitely cut corners to keep the price down and performance up (no ambient light sensor for example) , but I think they nailed the ratio.

I had the 2012 16GB wifi but it was slowing down dramatically so I sold it at loss. I haven't paid much attn to the Samsung UI though. Is it fixable w/custom launcher apps?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I looked for the android gaming thread and couldn't find it so I figured this is as good of a place as any to ask.

Do any of you use stand-alone bluetooth gaming controllers for your tablet/phone/nexus player? I bought myself a cheap one for 15 bucks and it doesn't work....going to RMA it back to Amazon, and I don't want to get the same model so I'm looking to get something better.

Here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483273

They have a few old megathreads for individual games or apps too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

hotsauce posted:

Ended up returning my N9 to Best Buy and got an open box 10.5 Tab S 32 gig for $389 (haggled with manager like I always do). I know, Samsung but drat if the SAMOLED screen and non 4:3 isn't incredible. Blacks are pure #00000. No stock 5.0 but at this point I don't care. The screen on this thing is pure butter.

Might even violate my religion and get a Note 4 as well.

You can haggle at BB w/managers? Usually for big box retailers they will stick to the policy and say nothing they can do about prices.

I got a pre-owned N7 2013 32GB. I didn't think the Nvidia Shield tablet will go on sale for BF :sigh:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

G-Prime posted:

One here has an N9 on display. The other has an N7, incorrectly labeled as an N9.

Hmm ask to see if it's possible to buy the "N9" for a lower price?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

FistEnergy posted:

That's enough, Google. Push me the 2013 N7 OTA.

:sigh:

I considered sideloading it but you know I could always wait and save myself the hassle of any potential problems for it.

I'm still working on getting Win7 to recognize my tablet w/proper drivers set up too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

My 2012 N7 was already struggling a bit and the upgrade to Lollipop did nothing to help it. So much slower now switching between apps and even just scrolling through Facebook it stutters and freezes. Guess it's time to grab a Shield.

I feel your pain as I sold mine a few weeks ago. I did resolve the app crashing issue by deleting almost everything not necessary and turning off all the animations.

Straker posted:

I know the 2013 N7 is nothing fancy specs wise, but it still browses and reads forums etc. really well... would would I notice any improvement in general use if I got a Shield? I play a lot of games too but no fpses or anything that doesn't belong on a tablet really.

IIRC I was on the fence if I wanted a N7 2013 or Shield but I opted for the former. I don't play console games and don't even stream anything. I do own a Vita, DSL, and PC so I didn't need another gaming platform either.

Also, the Shield doesn't look like it'll go on sale for BF/CM either :c00l:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone know a store which sells matte screen protectors for the N7 '13? I'm trying to reduce the glare while reading books and forums :yaycloud: Thanks.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone have personal exp w/matte screen protectors?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Daimo posted:

It's a longshot but I don't suppose anybody knows how to sync feeds between devices in greader, do they?

G-Reader is gone but I sync feeds using Inoreader online and their Android app. It's freeium and it's imperfect yet what can I do?!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Maybe it'll go away if we don't say anything about it?

Welp, at least I can't have any Lollipop playback issues if I don't have the latest update right? Right.

Sigh, hopefully future updates will be less of a disappointment.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So I got a notification for the OTA update and I tapped accept. It even told me to reboot to install and then I noticed that my N7 looked exactly the same after 10 minutes. Now my tablet tells me there are no new system updates but I know it's lying but what else can I do?

Kitkat will now stay with me during this holiday time and together we will welcome in the new year.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Next time it asks you to do it, pay attention to what it says on the screen with the Android on its back with its chest open. It will tell you why it failed.

It told me: error.

Luckily, N7 seemed OK after rebooting :11tea:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Maybe a slight delay to just go straight to 5.0.1?

I had to the update on my N7 2013 for the last few days. I tried updating but it got a fun error message so still waiting to see if Google will fix it before the NYE. IIRC users have been exp a uncommon number of problems so I don't think you're missing out on much.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'll be quite sad once my N7 dies as the battery life isn't like it's new and storage is running down a bit. So far there's been no hint of a new 7" tablet and larger tablets are just awkward to carry. Does this mean everyone has moved up to 10" or smartphones?

I don't play games on N7 as I like to use it as e-reader/email/docs/YT so I feel like NVIDIA SHIELD tablet K1 is overkill.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

You guys who are just doing this basic poo poo on your tablet should look at an amazon Fire HD 8. I really don't see how the extra cost of the Shield is worth it.

I'm attached to the Google Play store and I read their apps don't always work well w/Fire tablets.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

N7 '13 is about to die and I've been looking at serious alt to the 7-8" lineup but I'm wondering why is the Shield 16GB approx $300 on ebay when it's an old tablet? Did they stop manufacturing them a few months ago which caused a price jump? Is it the FOR GAMERS label that's boosting prices?!

In related news, I checked out some Fire tablets in-person and I'm considering the 8" one as my replacement once I save up funds and root it to remove dumb apps.

Virtue posted:

My main complaint about the current Kindle Fire 7 is that it's too slow. Will the new fire 8 be noticeably faster?

How slow is too slow? I'm just reading some ebooks, checking email, and watching LPs on YT not editing PDFs.

Alder fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 29, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Same and I've read some rumours about a N7 2017 coming in oct/nov. Anyone got more info on this?

Google didn't announce anything in I/O so I'm going to presume it's over for N7 series which is a shame :(

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The new Fire HD 8 comes out in a week, but there's a good chance it won't be rootable for a while, if ever.

drat, I enjoyed rooting my devices for no reason too much to give that up. I guess I can deal with my old N7 for another few months.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

MrNemo posted:

It's a shame since I quite like my Nvidia Shield. It's a great size for travelling with and covers all my browsing/email needs. I've got a slightly beefier laptop with a decent keyboard for when I have to travel and need to do actual work that is just way too big and heavy unless I definitely need to write reports or proposals or something. Even larger form tablets aren't really what I want and phablets are both too big for phone usage and too small to be comfortable using for extended periods. Maybe I'll get a K1 before they stop making them and just hold onto that.

I'd say part of the reason for the decline has also been the increasing availability for mobile apps or mobile designed sites. The extra screen real estate of a tablet isn't as necessary for comfortable web browsing anymore.

Too late as Nvidia stopped producing the tablet part of the Shield since Nintendo released the Switch :sigh:

The only few models available are pre-owned and $250+ on the gray market. Gdt yet again I'm late to the decent tablet game b/c I kept hoping for a N7 2017 32GB to replace my 2013 N7.

Is there a huge downside for the cheapo Fire tablets other promoting amazon slavery? I just use my N7 to check email and read ebooks/PDFs. I really would not browse the web since mobile sites are so terrible even in the good days.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Is there a <$200 tablet in the 8" size that's not a Kindle Fire? I used to be able to sideload the play store but now that's a pipe dream due to reasons (I've tried all the solutions). I never realized how much I missed it until I couldn't install more than half my apps due to lack of support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Wait how do you get locked out of installing Play Store? Is Amazon killing it with OTA updates or something?

I'm not sure but none of the guides worked on my kindle fire 5th gen and it's stuck on checking info page. I heard google is blocking non-andriod tablets from the play store.

Thanks for all the suggestions.