Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is the second year in a row the Nexus event has been postponed due to current events, when you remember the Samsung open box thing being delayed for Jobs's funeral.

I don't begrudge them the decision, I just wish we could stop withholding news or data until we can assemble a group of people in a room and have a guy on stage in front of them smiling and holding the unit and proudly saying "This is the Nexus [foo]" while camera bulbs flash and stock prices fluctuate.

This is some of the techiest, nerdiest stuff. Just loving stream an announcement video, it's how the target audience prefers to see it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Install Gentoo posted:

No, the actual target audience of these events is the media; not the customers.

All they do is run a 10 second clip showing a B-roll commercial anyway.

You can still ship free equipment to the media without having a catered shindig where the CEO talks and the engineer talks about specs and then the guy from Marketing shows up and says "we don't build hardware, we build platforms."

It just seems like an old-rear end idea that's ripe for some out of the box disruption. Especially since not every blog wants to send a guy to NYC anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

fookolt posted:

Thanks! Any suggestions for streaming HD movies from my PC? Or is that not feasible?

I already have PS3 Media Server, but I don't know how well it would play with that over WiFi.

People seem to like this. It should work, though you might need to configure things (more likely on PS3MS.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Based on the lack of any new device at I/O, and the fact that I keep finding myself wishing I had a mobile-friendly device with power (my Galaxy S II is a slog and my Chromebook roars with fan power when a Flash video goes over five minutes), I decided to go ahead and sink money into a Nexus 10.

Please don't replace it in the next month, Google.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tunga posted:

On that note, the stock keyboard is completely unusable in landscape
I got my N10 one day after you. I guess it's contagious.

I impulse bought Swype a few weeks ago when it was put on the Play Store and given a temporary sale, so I installed it and put it in "split" mode. It works great in either horizontal or (just slightly better in) vertical. I need to eventually buy SwiftKey and contrast it's similar mode, but I'm hoping there will be a sale before I pay off my N10 because I'm poor for the next month!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cardboard Box A posted:

And it can't play files off of of SMB network shares natively either.

I've had good luck with some combination of MX and Dice Players, with ES File Explorer. Sometimes you have to use Open As -> Video in ES, but it works.

This is on a Nexus 10, though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I do a lot of portrait oriented typing on Nexus 10, and have to say that Kii is easier than SwiftKey in many regards. There's an overload of buttons I'll never use, but the "broken" keyboard isn't as wide as SwiftKey's, so I don't have to keep stretching my thumb out there. Don't know if anyone else has any keyboard advice, but I'll probably stick with this if nothing better comes along.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As much as I love my Nexus 10, I would at least wait for specs on the new one, particularly regarding display details. The 16:9 aspect ratio is just godawful for anything that isn't TV/Movies at this huge size. Even most tablet keyboards can't thumb-type properly (I had to use Kii over SwiftKey Tablet and others simply because it let me condense the keys to a size that they're all thumb accessible in portrait), and even stuff like games it's a bit unwieldy.

It's great if the major amount of interfacing with it is flicks to scroll through text or the occasional Play/Pause tap, though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just in case people didn't notice, the link to the 4.3 OTA for the Nexus 10 was discovered earlier today, so you can adb sideload it manually without having to wait for it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Thanks buddy! Have they found one for the 2012 Nexus 7?

Yes, that happened earlier. Still nothing for the May 2013 refresh, though.

You may want these instructions, which work just as well on the Nexus 10 fwiw.

The only thing I'll add is that the upgrade method seems to work better on OSX and possibly Linux than Windows due to the need of a driver for Windows which works fine in normal/bootloader mode but can't recognize the device in recovery unless you gently caress around with said driver before you install it..

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 26, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, the new one panel Settings.apk and Play Store (with the side panel to get to app updates) seems like a step back. Oh well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's the device that's been called Volantis in blogs the past couple months.

Hopefully, ART squeezes enough extra life out of N10 that I can find something decent that doesn't have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That article has a point, but it's lost in this sort of weird agenda the author is promoting about people "rediscovering laptops" and how tablets are over, etc. He admits to having a cutting edge iPad and no idea what to do with it.

I admit that I loved my Nexus 10 the past few years in terms of handling everything I threw at it; but the only thing keeping Android competitive in a consumer context is aspect ratios better suited to tv and comic books. I don't want Android on a professional product because I want a real device backup, I don't want slow staged rollouts of services where I have to wonder if I'm going to get Update x/y soon without installing APKs from third party web sites and feeling like I'm compromising my security.

And most importantly I don't want a product that will be abandoned because "we didn't feel like it"; which is what Google did with the Nexus 10's dock (jump to 1:00 in and laaaauugh) and is doing again with it's missing Marshmallow update even though it really needs the battery help.

The Nexus 10 is a niche product with few customers, but at least it actually has customers; and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pixel C sells even less units.

Sure, even Apple has trouble selling iPads, but it's having it for the opposite reason: they're selling tablets that are more powerful than current needs (some speculate multitasking was already in mind when putting the Air 2 specs together) and supporting them for a very long time. When you bolt the iPad 2's innards into an iPad Mini and try to support that for a few years, you have people with older hardware who aren't facing software obsolescence and don't buy new hardware.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That would be terrible and wrong because Chrome for Android is poo poo and should just burn. Making an Android browser that isn't rear end seems to be harder than putting Android applets into Linux anyhow.

On top of that, Chrome OS isn't hindered by Qualcomm, driver blobs, and their assorted issues that decentralizes Android updates. Google has tried almost as many ways to tackle fragmentation as they have wakelock drain and instant messaging. Android should continue to be on phones, but ChromeOS tablets are the future, not Android tablets. Especially since Apple is adding so many tablet-specific features that iOS might as well be a different distro than the iPhone one, and you can get one new for $350. Meanwhile, Android is always going to have trouble convincing developers to not display a 10" whitespace with 4.7" of visual information stretched across it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 28, 2017