Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Since the Prime is kind of a cluster gently caress at the moment...are there any other Tegra 3 tablets expected in the next few months? I want to get a tablet, but I'm probably gonna hold out to see how that Vizio is (the one that debuted at CES to some decent previews).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

eric posted:

iPad3 should be out in March. Quad core processor, retina display, LTE.

Definitely gonna see what's in store there, but I just have a feeling it's gonna be a tad more expensive than what I want. We'll see.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

golgo13sf posted:

Your time must be worth nothing then

What?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

golgo13sf posted:

The time you spend making your purchase halfway usable X $0/hr = $0

edit: let me clarify

I don't know about you but my time is worth at minimum $50/hr.

If I spend 2 hours just dicking around on XDA, figuring out how to root the device, installing custom ROMs etc, that $100 worth of time (2 hours for the mathematically challenged) pays for something that none of that was necessary for.

That's just for the basic Android fuckery that every one of you advocate when something invariably isn't working correctly out of the box.

Then you get into this situation:

How much is your time worth then? Because you're losing a hell of a lot more than 2 hours.

I'm not sure what you're on about.

I don't have a tablet. I was saying I was waiting to see how much the iPad 3 was gonna cost, but that it will probably be more than my budget will allow.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

illcendiary posted:

How much are you looking to spend?

$500 max. $400 is preferable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

golgo13sf posted:

Actually I post at work and get paid for it, owns.

Here's what I mean, and I'm not trying to be caustic about it. If the base iPad3 is $100 over your budget (admittedly a guess) what is your time worth if you buy a tablet in your budget that takes you 4 hours to make usable? Or if it's defective, go through the runaround making a unboxing-of video so when the manufacturer tries to gently caress you over you have proof. Or even if they don't try to gently caress you over you're without your item.

That is what I mean, what is your time worth? Is it worth the difference between your budget and a device that works as it should.

Let's not even make this iOS vs. Android. Let's make it Android vs. Android. If by some miracle Google themselves unfucked Motorola Mobility and came out with an Android tablet that out of the box worked as it should, had good build quality and had some measure of quality control but it cost $100 more than any other Android tablet. Now is your budget still the deciding factor?

I see what you're saying (I really thought you were meaning to respond to somebody else), but buying a tablet that needs fixing was never really an option.

It's either a.)Buy a really good tablet at $400 that works as intended or b.) Buy an iPad 3 at $600 that works as intended.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ciabatta posted:

To be fair, if you bought one for $100-150 and can sell it used months later for $200-250, many people will do so. Even if you do like and want a tablet, it's a good way to subsidize the price of a Transformer Prime or iPad if you're a poor.

This is essentially what I did (mine was one of those listed by SWSP). It's not a bad tablet, but I just felt like I wanted something that performed better. Smoother. So I sold it and am using that to subsidize the price of a better one.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

"It's an iPad YOSPOS Bitch"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
If you have an Acer Iconia and don't have the ICS update yet, Acer has released an app to expedite the process.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/29/acer-releases-ics-update-app/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I think the most truly incredible feat is that they clearly invented time travel in order to go back to 1996 and hire a freshman video production student to make their videos. Good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kitten smoothie posted:

I'll be honest the ads on the normal Kindle never seemed that obnoxious, and I've actually gotten some decent local deals out of it. I'm cool with ads if it keeps the price down and they're relevant, as opposed to "1 WEIRD TIP TO LOSE YOUR BEER GUT."

Also it's important to note it's really unobtrusive. It just sits there on the lock screen ONLY. And it's typically book related deals. It's not like advertisements for a new flavor of Doritos or something.