Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So yeah. Used to have an iPad, but didn't use it too terribly much. I think that's just because I've been using an Android phone and am used to Android UI these days. So, given that, I've been thinking about jumping back on the tablet bandwagon. I'm looking at the Transformer Prime in particular. My question, though -- I have a laptop for portable computing, so I don't need the keyboard dock for the transformer prime. I'm just interested for the aspects of a tablet -- basically, media consumption, video watching, the growing gaming market, etc. Primarily for travel on a plane (I don't like getting a laptop out on a plane). I'm also considering jumping into programming for Android OS and such, and would like to have a tablet to work with alongside a phone (Galaxy Nexus, currently). I have been waiting for Tegra 3 to hit before I considered jumping back on -- and the Prime seems like the right price and right tablet for me. I considered waiting on the 7 inch memo, but am pretty sure some major corners will be cut for it.

So, given that, is the Prime worth getting if I don't plan to get the keyboard dock? Or is it only really worthwhile if you really want the dock and tablet experience?

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So, I got in and saw someone buying a transformer prime, and couldn't find them on the shelves. Figured they were out, but I asked anyways. There was one left, so the "MUST GET" in me jumped on that. I now own a transformer prime...

with no case. So time to check the thread for the cases others have bought. Hopefully I can find one that works.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't travel enough with a Tablet to need a case with my transformer. And when I do i keep it in my laptop bag. Just two cents on the other side of cases, why get a case for something if you mostly use it at home?

Because there will be points where I am travelling for work and want to bring it with me. Additionally, I carry my laptop in a SwissGear backpack, and there's nothing there that would keep it from getting scratched. I'm horribly paranoid of scratches :(

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Welp, first Prime I got is a giant pile of poo poo. I got my case in today so I started using the tablet. First thing I do is update to ICS.

Few minutes in, lockup. Force reboot. Stuck on the initial screen. Force power off, turn back on. Happens again. Then I do a "cold boot" and it powers back on...

And locks up again after 5 minutes.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of issue? I'm reading some suggestions online that say to run it for a few weeks without apps to 'make sure it works right'. But, well...the tablet is rather useless if I can't install stuff on it. I'm about to take this one back and exchange it for another, though. Hopefully I don't get a second dud.

EDIT: Reading that a ton of people are having issues with theirs too. Wondering if I should just get a refund and wait until all the problems are fixed :( I didn't buy this tablet to be forced into using Honeycomb.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 27, 2012

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Rastor posted:

It's worth a try to do a factory reset but if it still experiences freezes/reboots then get an exchange, don't wait until the return period runs out.

Tried that already. Still having issues with mine :(

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Frozen-Solid posted:

Are you sure you're on the latest update? There's at least one update after ICS that might not have a "from factory" update on top of it.

Even when I did have a few force reboots, they weren't anything like you're describing though. I had 2 right after ICS installed, while I was downloading/installing about 50 things at once, and I've had maybe 2 force reboots over the past 2 weeks after that.

I haven't had any reboots since the latest update.

Pretty sure it is the most recent one, as I installed the update about 15 minutes before I made the initial post.

The first crash happened after I opened an application. Wasn't doing anything. Second happened while I was downloading a few apps.

So yeah, going to take it back to the store and exchange. If I have issues with the second one, i'll get a refund.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Update: second one hasnt crashed yet. been about 30 minutes. Did the ICS update, downloaded all my apps (could get through 2 or 3 before a crash before).

Next, try to play a game or some such.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

ModestMuse posted:

The quality difference between different Primes is shocking. I've seen pictures of people light bleeding where it's coming from 5 or 6 different places. Claims of 4 or 5 dead pixels. The serial unknown issue. Then issues like MrMoose where the software just doesn't seem to want to work... At the same time, there's people like me that don't have any dead pixels, have never seen it re-boot, etc.

Yeah, this second one is FAR better than the first. Everything is amazingly smooth, it hasn't rebooted yet, no backlight bleed (which I had on the first one)... this is what I expected with the first.

From some of the research I've done, it sounds like the big issue with the upgrade is that ICS evidently clocks the processor up a bit higher, and that's causing some tablets to get unstable (not all of them, mind you -- but some are doing better when rooted and underclocked).

Hopefully they get the quality issues worked out before the tablet gets buried in bad reviews. When it works, it is amazing. Downloaded Shadowgun to test it out (returned it since I'm not much for shooters on a tablet) and the game looked ridiculous for a tablet while running exceptionally smooth. Much like the others posting here, I've never had an issue with Asus otherwise. I had an original EEEPC last for a couple of years before I passed it to a computer-less friend, I had an Asus ROG laptop for awhile that I sold to a friend after about 2 years, and no problems whatsoever.

Sounds like the rush to market really was the issue.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Agreed, Google has botched this launch. Checked a few places around town:

Gamestop -- only selling reserved ones.
Staples -- getting them on the 19th, already sold out of presold ones
Office Depot -- Preorders starting Sunday, don't know when they get in.

A little bit of consistency would have been nice. An official release date, some sort of "preorder by" date, anything would have been nice. Would have liked to have known so I could have preordered at Gamestop, but now I have to wait for the second wave. As was said above, this lack of communication is what has people upset more than anything else.

I'm not mad or anything, as I have many other things to do over the next couple of weeks, but Google will need to figure out how to successfully launch a product if they want to beat out Apple and such in the long run.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Check your local Sam's Club. They're selling them today, it seems.

Mine (Madison WI West Side location) has 5 in stock.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Trying to figure out if I should go grab an Invisishield made for the galaxy tab 7 plus, or some other 7 inch tablet. Along with a case to use for now until official ones start rolling out. I'm always so worried about using tablets without having a case to keep them in :( I'm hesitant to put the tablet in my backpack without something to protect it. Maybe I'll just grab one of the cases designed for the Kindle Fire at Best Buy and use that until a good screen protector hits.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
anyone else unable to connect their Nexus 7 to a corporate wifi network? Brought mine in to work this morning and it just loops from connecting to disconnected constantly. On 4.1.1. My Galaxy Nexus on 4.0.4 connects just fine, and has since I bought it.

From what I'm hearing, this may be a 4.1.1 thing, but was wondering if anyone here had the issue and figured out a workaround.