Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Someone bought me a swanky new avatar! You guys are the best. =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Quite an stupidly hyperbolic statement, don't you think? Where do you get this info from? You can count me out of that "money back" list, for one. I've tried both, I have the Prime, and I'm really happy with it. I can't stop my :smug: face from coming out when I see my Apple fanboy classmates watch as their iPad 2 runs out of battery, and my tablet keeps running no prob. And then I plug in the keyboard dock.

And, as far as I know, battery, backlight bleeding and signal problems have been corrected with the latest models. At least, mine's nowhere as painfully bad as a lot of people depicted on this thread, quite the opposite.

1. You may be responding to someone who is not a fan of Android, but to call that "stupidly hyperbolic" is stretching your credibility. The first run TFPs was rife with engineering, QA and materials problems. It may not have been even 10% of the units, but that is still unacceptible.

2. Please keep your :smug: moments to yourself. Posting this kind of poo poo makes you look like a fanboy yourself. This is not complementary.

Some day when my wife's iPad runs down, ima ram my TF into the dock and run around the livingroom with my ballsack hanging out of my pants screaming the lyrics to We Will Rock You.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

It always amazes me how careful you need to be in choosing your apps for this reason. I recently got rid of a few, fairly well regarded, apps from my phone and saw my battery life and responsiveness skyrocket. There really needs to be a better system–level model for dealing with this crap automatically.

An app can be well-regarded and still ping the poo poo out of a server because it assumes you need constant updates. I leave automatic sync off because there is nothing that I need to immediately respond to that isn't a phone call or text message.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

gently caress yeah. Soon, my precious, soon.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Secret Sweater posted:

The battery is one of the more annoying aspects of my transformer. I shouldn't have to feel like I need to glue heatsinks to it to feel like I'm not in danger of burning my house down.

That's kinda odd. Mine has never gotten hot to the touch in any activity. Is this while charging? 3D gaming? Netflix streaming? I'm curious, that doesn't sound right.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Secret Sweater posted:

While charging. Anything over like 30 minutes of charging makes it go Fukushima Daiichi status and the outside of it has literally gotten too hot to touch before I unplug it.

That shouldn't be happening. It might need service.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's just loving terrible. Do people seriously think that is acceptable or something?

No... Nobody has said that it's acceptable. Which forum are you reading?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Galaxy Note 10.1 promo has leaked ahead of MWC. Not so surprising since the writing was already on the wall from the previous leak, but this one is much more definitive.

Took me a second to realize that this was something other than one of many Samsung tablets, which cover nearly all sizes from 5" to 10" in 1/4" increments.

If not for Samsung's lovely but deserved rep for not updating software after a release, this might be worth looking into. I really want a good tablet with a real stylus, even if some people think I shouldn't.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

I updated my wife's TF to ICS, now it's incredibly slow and the market thinks half the apps aren't installed when they are :sigh:

What steps have you tried so far?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Why would you lower the price of something you cannot build fast enough?

A) There weren't even any shortages during Christmas. Supply will keep up with demand except immediately following launch. Half of China will be balls-deep in production.

B) To clear the channel in anticipation of a launch.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

iSuppli is considered to be extremely reliable. Remember that these huge profit margins are the very core of the business model. iTunes sells iPods. Apps sell iPhones. It's the opposite of game consoles,etc. They have ungodly sums of cash on hand and can negotiate very unique deals with it.
Hell, Google's business model relies on giving away the OS in exchange for data gathering and ad serving with apps and media sales as gravy on top of that.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Slow night in YOSPOS? Jesus Christ.

Anyone with a Google TV; check out Able Remote. It has really intuitive gesture support and voice command support. I haven't tested the voice stuff since I feel silly talking to inanimate objects, but reviews are favorable. The free version is good enough, but the pay version lets you edit button layouts and such. Not tablet native, but it resizes gracefully.

I use the hell out of Evernote, but the "make notebooks available offline" feature won't automatically download attachments. Anyone know of a workaround?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What are you even on about now?

Sorry, misread.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

WinCE thru WM 6.5 was horrific.Phone 7 has a lot of potential, but it'll never be realized because carriers won't go near it.

And Samsung? Their tablet strategy is actually more schizophrenic than their phone strategy. How they managed that feat is beyond me.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yes, see, it's the carriers who are at fault for the failure that is Windows Phone.

Don't misunderstand me, there are many reasons why the platforms is still so small, they are by and large perception issues. The platform is solid, the UI and UX is excellent and it has something to offer people, but nobody can really see it because US CDMA carriers will only offer one model and salespeople would rather slam-dunk an iPhone in 5 minutes than educate themselves and the customers on the alternatives. Although I've never had an ounce of trouble with my SGSII, I'd jump at the chance to get the version running Phone 7. Sprint has the clunky HTC Arrive and has more or less said that they are not interested in anything else.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

It's a not very well made tablet made by a company that is not very reliable and you basically can get a better buy for your money?

If it doesn't have ice cream sandwich do not buy it. And with the remarks Andy Rubin made about Android, it is arguable that now is a bad time to look at Android tablets (ie Android isn't focusing on tablet apps).

Wait, got a source for that quote? I understood it to mean that Google thinks that apps don't need to differentiate between screen sizes (which is a debatable point). To say that "Android isn't focusing on tablet apps" is unclear since it's the developers that make that decision.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

tell me more about how carriers are keeping Windows Phone down and how salespeople would rather just sell iPhones, the comissions from which they must be swimming in...

Are you refuting that point? If so, get on with it. Your sarcasm makes you sound real cool, but I'm curious about what you're thinking. If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear other opinions.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Kirk posted:

Over this weekend I ended up very stupidly dropping my Xoom at a party, and now the screen is (Slightly) cracked and the SD Card slot doesn't work. As such I've retired it and given it to my girlfriend to use, as she doesn't mind the defects. Since the Transformer Infinity doesn't have a release date announced, I've decided I'm just gonna grab a Prime tomorrow morning.

My question is thus: Is the keyboard dock actually worth it?

I give it a qualified yes. As a keyboard, it's mediocre. For me it's marginally faster than Thumb Keyboard because of the mistakes I make on it. The small size causes a lot of bad strikes because my fingers sometimes land between keys or miss them alltogether. I'd probably get better with time, who knows. When typing in stuff that isn't language, it's far better since you don't have to fight with spell correction, auto spacing and prediction.
The battery boost the keyboard gives takes the run time from days to well over a week. Even without it I have to fight the urge to constantly turn it off. I can easily stream Google Music or Spotify all day with the screen on.
The extra SD card slot is nice, but I don't use it a whole lot.
The USB ports are really slick and open up a lot of cool scenarios. The dock has enough current on the USB port to spin up my 1TB external drive. It can even mount an NTFS volume. That was a shock. I can mount my GSII or any other device as USB mass storage and transfer files. You could theoretically plug in a full-sized keyboard and mouse. A few folks have managed to write drivers for Ethernet adaptors. The list goes on.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

And if this thread has taught me anything its that different price points don't matter because if you can't buy a 64gig lte iPad 3 your a poor and don't deserve to have electronics.

This assertion has always made my eyes roll because I don't think I've ever saved a single penny buying Android hardware. When you can get an iPhone at Wal-Mart for 80 bucks on contract, it ceases to be an aspirational purchase.
Anyone showing off Apple devices in order to appear to have money is a moron.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Proteus4994 posted:

To some degree this is true, but companies rarely ever whip out their dick and piss all over your face in quite as much of a brazen way as Asus seems to do.

You're suggesting actual contempt for the customer. I think it's more like galloping ineptitude.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I'd really appreciate a good rear-facing camera. I use my TF-101 at work with Evernote and taking pictures of things is often the fastest way to gather information, especially text. 5MP isn't enough pixel density for this in some cases. I usually end up using the camera in my phone which is excellent.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Dear god, it'd be huge. My SGSII's camera is all the scanner I need.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

revolther posted:

So do more expensive tablets just not have an xda presence or something? It's silly to think a community can come together to get ics working pretty awesome on a 160 dollar e-reader but not port a ROM available on basically the same hardware configurations. Or is this some sort of I shouldn't have to I paid money thing?

Which tablet do you have?
Mobile device hackers are odd and fickle. Devices may have a better presence one a certain board and then go somewhere else for the next iteration. Check Rootzwiki, Google around for the device name and "forum", etc.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

evilweasel posted:

People should seriously take a look at the thinkpad tablet, I like it a lot and it seems to get overlooked.

I was really looking forward to it before it launched, but the reviews were pretty lackluster. Did Lenovo release ICS for it?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

ICS is just terrible for it, the hardware can't handle it. I got rid of mine for those reasons.

Its been drat near flawless for me. Were you using a custom ROM?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

Is it just an issue of Asus having no quality control again? Is the update bringing out hardware issues that weren't manifesting with Honeycomb?

Otherwise, I don't get it. The Touchpad has had really stable CM9 for awhile now, ported by hobbyists hacking poo poo together for a device that wasn't meant to run Android at all. Is that the best Ice Cream Sandwich tablet experience right now (excepting getting a functioning Transformer Prime)? Are 4.0-based custom roms on the Transformer or Galaxy Tab(s) also generally better than official releases?

Firstly, it works fine for most. Second, the CM9 version for the touchpad is very good, but every bit as buggy as you'd expect for a non-OEM build. Third, custom ROMs rarely bring more stability, the benefits are usually more inclined more toward speed or unlocking features or removing carrier shitware.
Personally, I just root and tear out the bloat.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Toady posted:

Asus isn't infringing on Hasbro trademarks with the Transformer Prime. Although, Asus had to reveal embarrassing sale stats in court filings--only 2,000 preorders last month

Odd. Why would there have been pre-orders last month?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Holy poo poo, $139.99 Kindle Fire refurbs

EDIT: Shipped free!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

Ok so I'm playing with a ZTE Optik tablet on Sprint. Sprint is selling them for 99 cents to business users as an end of quarter deal, with a $20 per month for 1Gb data plan. It's a pretty tiny, thin 7 inch tablet but Swype is even buggier than it is on the Galaxy Tab.

I don't know what's going on with Swype on Honeycomb but it sure makes me want to slash my wrists. It's slow, it's slightly unstable, and it's putting spaces where I don't want them and doing the whole "Overwrite the last two characters" thing in the browser.

What's a "business user"? I have a business license, does that count?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

randyest posted:

What does this mean?

"There is nothing new under the sun"

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

JesusDoesVegas posted:

.Also... Because ANGRY BIRDS has been such a big deal through this process, I was a bit surprised to find that only the original AB free version is available. I wasn't able to find compatible ad-supported versions of Seasons, Rio, or Space.

That's kind of odd. I can get Angry Birds Space through the Amazon Marketplace on all my devices. I wonder why the holdup on the fire.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

Thanks for the derail. You should know that the ricer roms were a last ditch effort to fix the issues before I sold it. Of course, the android community wants it both ways: People who bitch should install any variety of the roms to fix their problems, and then blame the problems on the roms when they turn out to be terrible.

Your experience doesn't seem to be representative of Transformer owners as a whole. There is a reason why the TF-101 was and is very well regarded.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Vizio tablets might have IR support if memory serves.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

This reminds me - if you have a Google TV, get Able Remote. Now. It's not the prettiest app, but it has an incredibly good UX. The official GTV app is a total shitheap in comparison.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

1) Poor battery life, as they try to shave weight off somewhere
2) Decent battery life, but weight a gently caress ton
3) Take forever to charge because they actually took advantage of the space and put a proper battery in it.

1&2) Lithium-polymer batteries can be molded into almost any shape. They are far lighter than lead-acid or NiMH or whatever metric you're using for that statement, especially on a W/H per mass ratio. A large device can accommodate a large battery. Batteries
Manufacturers can and do make chargers with more current and/or voltage than what you can get out of a USB port.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Secret Sweater posted:

:words:

I've noticed that using ROM Manager to upgrade CWM can cause bootloops. You can break out them by performing a cold restart (power+volume dwn).

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

zachol posted:

Well poo poo.

"Feeling cheap" is a pretty worthless qualitative statement. Many people said that about the GSII, but when l took mine apart to dry it out a few months back, I found a magnesium or aluminum chassis under the plastic. That phone is a goddamn tank under the skin, but nobody would know that without witnessing a teardown.

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't seen any reports of Asus tablets aging abnormally quickly. The poster referencing 3.5mm jack (which is a component that is prone to a lot of mechanical stress) and docking problems might just be hard on his stuff and he said just as much.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

It was needlessly inflammatory.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

got dat wmd posted:

Can someone seriously explain the idea of buying cheap tablets with known issues and faults for the purpose of "tinkering?" I seriously don't understand it.

I don't get it either. If you go with something cheap to see if you like the idea of an android tablet, you won't. Buy something that has reviewed well from a B&M store with a decent return policy. Getting a "trial" craplet is a complete waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

got dat wmd posted:

Be sure to teach mom how to root and use the search function before asking questions.

This is not a binary situation where you can either get an ipad or knife your mother. Stop identifying yourself with an operating system.