Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Thermopyle posted:

What does this mean? I mean, I know what it means on a technical level, but when do you need your Android tablet to support reading NTFS file systems?

I format my bigger removable media as NTFS, as it is generally faster over USB. It would take a day or more to transfer data off of it to my server or another drive, format it as FAT32 and then transfer it back over.

It's just handy and kind of impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

KoB posted:

Is there any way to boost the sound output on my Nexus 7? Sometimes Im in the kitchen with fans and stuff going and it isnt quite loud enough.

I picked up an external Bluetooth speaker that was been frankly stunning in terms of how it sounds. I got it on sale at Frys for 30 bucks. It's slightly bigger than a D-cell battery and a charge would probably last you a month of cooking.
I have a very short list of Bluetooth devices that don't send me into fits of rage, and this is near the top. Even not on sale, it's work every last penny:

http://www.zimrispeakers.com/bluetooth-wireless-black/

Oh, one thing to keep in mind; all speakers are more efficient when placed in a corner due to the boundary loading property of wave propagation. With a little speaker like this you can pick the frequency you want to boost by varying the distance to the apex of the corner.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

low-key-taco posted:

However, if you aren't already unlocked I'm not certain if it's worth losing the warranty to mess with these roms.

Asus is pretty lenient with software hacking.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I just got my phone upgrade and decided to get a Note II instead of GSIII, and good God, do I loving love this thing. If you're sufficiently ambivalent about holding something the size of a pop-tart to your head to make phone calls and can spare the extra cash, I recommend giving it a look.

Anyway, since this occupies a weird space between phones and tablets and has a stylus, I'm more inclined to post here.

I'm looking for app recommendations that can utilize the stylus. I have Skitch and the Pro version of Autodesk Sketchbook, but I'm curious if there's something else out there that is awesome, especially in a professional context, since I use my various screens at work quite a bit.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

When I worked for Rad Shack in 1993, they were already actively moving away from parts.

It's my understanding that their primary revenue stream comes from mobile devices. Any given strip mall store has as many or more handsets from the Big 4 carriers, and a medium-sized collection of accessories. They still also sell a bunch of toys around Christmas.

Big ticket items aren't their thing, which makes sense because items like TVs and computers are nearly profit-less.

Zero VGS posted:

I lament that we have to chuck Nexus 7's out when they crack. There was a time when you'd go into a PC keyboard with a soldering iron if it broke.

Well, that hasn't been the case for decades, if it ever was. You may feel compelled to mention Model M keyboards, but those were really only consumer items for a short time, sold by a single vendor. Nobody (barring a couple thousand keyboard enthusiasts) wants to pay quadruple the price for a monster keyboard that lasts 20 years when they could pay what they do now for a keyboard that lasts 18.