Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

For what it's worth, apparently the Nook Tablet bootloader got cracked, so CM looks to be a real possibility. Not that I'd recommend it RIGHT now if you need a 7" tablet. But of course, there's at least 2 $249 7" tablets due soon with Tegra 3 hardware (and no need for custom roms), so waiting seems like the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Codiusprime posted:

Agh, Amazon lightening deal was a Galaxy Tab 8.9 for 399. I decided to buy it like two seconds to late :(

Wait, how exactly is that a good deal? An original TF is $400 - are you in love with the smaller form factor or something?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's really ridiculous that any recommendation for a Transformer Prime comes with about a dozen caveats about it. You shouldn't have to do a battery of tests on a your tablet to make sure it's not hosed right out of the box.

The original Transformer didn't suffer from this many problems (although the defective docking stations is pretty loving ridiculous as well). Considering there's a raft of Tegra 3 devices due out this year I can't see why you'd recommend the Prime unless you have to have a Teg3 tablet today.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The TF201 has 2 specific issues that stem from a design flaw which is remedied in the TF700T or whatever their part numbers are.

Bad wifi and gps from bad design
Reports of backlight bleed
A non-flush microsd port
Reported lockups/crashes
A battery charger that can overheat

This is what's been found so far with a highly limited release. If the initial build quality is this bad, how well do you think the thing will hold up in 6 months?

Every single indicator of this thing is that Asus shoved it out the door to have the first Tegra 3 tablet, at the expense of any kind of testing or design vetting. I don't understand why people would find that acceptable.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

El Duke posted:

but if you're having manufacturing issues, why would you wait for something from the same... never mind.

Not that I want to applaud Asus, but the original Transformer was better built, and since the Prime was apparently the beta for the Transformer Prime EX 701, it stands to reason they might actually get it right this time. Or at least better than the Prime.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The fact is that Apple devs essentially have 2 resolutions to worry about, while Android? poo poo, who knows, it's at least half a dozen and it's only going to get higher once the rumored "super-res" tablets start hitting. So it's inevitable that Android apps are going to be worse at phone/tablet portability. It's no shock that even major app makers go with the mindset of "eh, not offensively horrible, ship it".

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 7, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kynetx posted:

Something's been bugging me; why the rush to retina displays? I have a 15" Toughbook with a 1900x1200 display and the pixel density is too high. I find myself leaning in and squinting all the time. A 10" or 7" tablet would be miserable.

Well, for Apple and Android tablets, it's the next logical feature upgrade. Screen res is an easy to market bullet point.

And yeah, working under the windows model, a 1900x1200 15" screen is going to be a real bitch because graphics scaling isn't really well implemented. Basically you get a bigger resolution and your poo poo gets smaller. The iphone 4 handled it really well, because it used the extra pixel density to render things in the same screen size as the old iphones, but with greater fidelity. Of course, they also have complete control over the devices so it's easier to do.

That's the rub with Android devices - because of it's open nature it's much harder to implement that kind of benefit.

zachol posted:

This has nothing to do with the iPad, except to the extent that other people are saying "wow iPads suck they don't have scaling." I don't own or want or care about iPads, I love my Transformer and like Android in general, but holding scaling up as an awesome amazing feature that sets Android apart is bullshit.

e: This is just my opinion and maybe I happen to have only tried apps that don't scale well.

This is it in a nutshell. Android's scaling features are a necessary evil, not a feature.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 7, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rastor posted:

This is the Android tablet thread. Android isn't limited to only 2 (+2) resolutions; it scales from tiny 2" QVGA screens all the way to giant Television displays.

The problem is you think this is a good thing. It's good if you're a device maker, as it allows you to use whatever-the-hell screen resolution and aspect ratio you want to differentiate yourself.

For app makers, it's a loving nightmare, because if you want your app to scale gracefully and maintain the proper layout you have to build and test for a huge range of devices, and since there's no restrictions, when a new device with a new resolution comes out, if you didn't plan for that there's a good chance your current implementation won't work for it. This means you get poo poo like the Skype app.

For users, it means you get the end result of dev frustrations, which is sub-par UI design, funky scaling behaviors and old apps that may not work as intended.

iOS keeps getting brought up because what they're doing works a hell of a lot better for pretty much everybody. I'll drop it now as I've said all I care to say, but I'm not sure why pointing out a flaw in Android's choices that effects everybody is trolling to you.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rastor posted:

Apparently not.
:psyduck:

I don't think you understand what "I'll drop it now means".

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Codiusprime posted:

Thanks we get it.

Yes, let's sweep the endless design failures of the Prime under the rug, it's certainly not salient information for potential tablet buyers.

I know it's crazy, but maybe if you're paying $500 for a device it might be better to wait for something without so many lovely defects? Even if you're an Android fan surely waiting for the slew of Teg3 tablets coming down the pipe (and making sure they're vetted before you buy) might be a more logical path?

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 8, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My Linux Rig posted:

It might be, if those new android tablets don't suffer from their own design failures.

But android tablets don't have a good track record for good designs so...

I though most of the Tegra 2 big name brands (including the original TF) were better built than the Prime. Regardless of weight/thickness/etc, they all seemed to be much out-of-the-box defective than the Prime.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Secret Sweater posted:

Remote desktop is pretty amazing stuff for people seeing it for the first time, which is most people even today.

I remote desktop into client's computers and 9/10 they're like, "WOAH MY MOUSE IS MOVING ROFLME"

I'll probably be replacing my TF101 sometime this year, my biggest gripe with the current tablets is UI lag. That poo poo is completely unacceptable and drives me loving nuts. If the android offerings can't at least give me an enjoyable experience where I don't have to wait 2-3 business weeks to go between portait and landscape mode, I'll probably seriously consider an ipad 3 since they seem to have figured out how to have fluid motion without FOUR CORES.

Might be worth waiting for ICS to hit the original TF to see if that has any effect. Granted they claimed HC was going to fix UI lag as well, but *shrug* why not wait?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Codiusprime posted:

I don't understand why someone can't just want an Android tablet? Did I miss something?

The thing is, based on what Splizwarf is saying, the ipad would be better for him. He's talking about textbooks/pdfs, and we just had a several page discussion about how Android tablets seem to be a crapshoot in handling pdfs, and the new apple textbook thing is lightyears ahead of anything in the Android ecosystem right now. The reasons he said he wanted to avoid apple aren't really valid.

Yes, there are things Android can do better; but none of those are things he seems to care about.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Splizwarf posted:

You missed the part where I said my Nook handles my pdfs quite well and makes my computer look lovely. Also, where I chimed in during the several page discussion about how well the Nook handled pdfs. I have no idea how you got "an iPad would be better for him" from what I said, I think you might've been pretty selective in your reading.

Sure, your Nook handles pdfs well. But, have you seen the last few pages of people talking about wonky behavior they have with pdfs on Android? Unfortunately because it works well on your device doesn't mean it will on others.

quote:

I tried to treat this reasonably but it's basically a (maybe unintentional) troll, since it's in response to me saying I have a tablet that I can take notes on and read textbooks, which lacks only Bluetooth to be perfect.

I got the impression you were looking for a new tablet. Sorry if that isn't the case.

quote:

is a dick thing to say. My reasons are valid because they're my reasons. Are you seriously trying to tell me my opinion is "false"? :rolleyes:
Your opinion is false because it's not based in reality, and several people have already pointed that out. If I said I didn't want a PS3 because it only had 5 games to choose from, then my opinion is wrong because it's based upon incorrect information.

quote:

Dude, seriously; I already own an Android tablet that I like, and you clearly don't and don't intend to, so what's your stake in this thread? Why are you here?

Chill out. Again, my apologies since you weren't looking for a new tablet.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

randyest posted:

720p high profile (and non-high profiles with certain encoding characteristics) don't work well on Tegra 2's in general. Tegra3 seems to handle it better though.

Yeah, I got into an inadvertent pissing match with a guy in the previous android thread about this.

Basically mkv playback on Tegra 2 is spotty unless you encode all your media with a very specific set of profile options. So for most people it's not a good mkv playback device unless you're planning on re-encoding your files or are running a transcoder to stream.

Teg 3 apparently has enough muscle to handle pretty much everything, although I still haven't seen an actual thorough test of that.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TontoCorazon posted:

Does this make it a bad product? Like is it like a chinese knock off or is it legit product?

The issue is that companies like Asus, Samsung, etc, all have huge resources put into designing, sourcing parts, and servicing retailers/customers. And think of the horror stories we still get from them.

These no-name Chinese companies have a fraction of those resources, so their products are generally poorly built (both in part choices and quality), and there's no support. Saving ~$100 isn't worth the time and headaches vs. buying an original Transformer.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Aw poo poo, wrong thread, I blame SALR. Sorry.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 16, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jc821 posted:

How can these manufacturers not get their poo poo together with ICS but the 3GS can run iOS 5? The way this is going 90% of Android devices will still be running 2.3 in 2015.

Because Apple controls all the hardware. Realistically, they have maybe 5 devices they need to target. In the OS world that's a piece of cake. They also make money on app sales, which means they have a vested interest in supporting users after the phone is sold.

Android, on the other hand, is the wild west. Every single device out there is different. Different storage space, different processor, different screen size, different wifi/cell hardware. That alone makes it difficult. Additionally, Android phone makers make their money off of selling devices. So it's in their best interests to make the hardware as cheap as possible to keep margins high, AND it's also in their best interest to make you want to buy a new device as often as possible.

And to help spread the blame, device makers don't have any control or direct knowledge of what google will do in new builds. ICS requires more boot partition than your device has? *shrug* sucks to be you. Additionally, new Android releases are usually optimized for a single device/line of devices, and its up to the hardware vendors to make it work for other hardware.

Android's "open" nature means the current state of affairs is how it will probably always be.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 16, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Splizwarf posted:

You mean ICS runs without any functionality issues on the OG Droid? Because that'd be cool, in which case you're right, that's not a fair comparison on my part, although it doesn't hurt the point I was trying to make about what jc821 said. Last time I read about the OG, I thought there were still a lot of issues, mostly because of a lack of space. v:shobon:v

You're the one that brought up iOS, so what exactly about iOS5 runs so bad on the 3GS? I've got one right now and (anecdotal) it runs as well as if not better than any android phone I've seen.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Splizwarf posted:

Oh, I see. I'll tell my wife that, she'll be happy to hear that stuff like background processing not working and the notifications that rely on background processes crashing her phone have magically disappeared overnight. Thanks for the heads-up, she was hating it yesterday! :tipshat:

No need to get snippy when I ask you for specifics on a broad claim you're making.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Android revisions are going to keep coming and there's really no point in waiting for them. If you do you'll never buy something. ICS is apparently enough of an improvement over HC to be livable.

That being said, it really does make sense to hold off right now on a purchase. The ipad 3 launch could have huge ramifications to the Android world - dropping the price on the ipad 2, for example, might force Android tablet prices down. Combined with a bunch of announced Teg3 tablets (of which one must surely have a better build quality than the Prime), it makes sense to at least wait a few weeks.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Angry Spaniard posted:

That is also quite an hyperbole. It's just funny to see how apparently "TFP is broken, get your money back" statement seems to be the rule, and not the exception throughout this thread. First runs had a load of bad apples (haha), yes. But later runs have proven to be mostly okay, or at least people don't complain as loud as everyone seemed to when it was released.

There have been other cases of faulty products on the first runs, the most sound that comes to mind being iPhone 4's antenna problems, or HTC Desire battery problems. The companies, as far as I know, repaired the possible problems under warranty without problems (I've read of people sending their Desire back to HTC to get their battery checked and replaced, for free, or with little charge (mailing, I'd guess)). The Prime has had its problem, people with issues have been able to send them back, and even though the device still have some issues and bugs, it truly doesn't deserve being labeled as failure, given that people and reviewers are happy with it. This thread just seems to get all the faulty products, it'd seem. I was just trying to point out that I'm apparently part of the happy 1%.

Also I can't sing during classes, and certainly people wouldn't get it because of an obvious language handicap. :colbert:

No, you're trying to sugar coat a bad product because of the confirmation bias of getting a good one. Tell me, what's an acceptable failure rate to you, as long as you get a good one? How exactly is the average Joe supposed to know how to get a "2nd batch" tablet? The horror stories about Asus support are pretty well documented as well (including the insult of having to PAY SHIPPING to send back their straight-out-of-the-factory defective poo poo).

This is a loving $500 piece of hardware - we're not talking about a $5 DealExtreme calculator here, this is a half a grand piece of kit from a supposedly premiere manufacturer. Maybe because of all this it makes more sense to not reward the company that beta-tested their product on early adopters (see: TF300), and wait for another company to deliver a product that was built properly from square one.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

El Duke posted:

well, to be fair, no one ever considered Asus a premiere manufacturer.

(cue examples of motherboards and cheap plastic netbooks as endorsements of their past record of quality in the consumer electronics world)

Asus actually makes some of the best mobos and video cards in the computer parts world right now. The original Transformer was probably a pretty nice piece of hardware too.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Angry Spaniard posted:

No failure rate is acceptable for me.
But fuckups happen.
One of these statements is not like the other.

quote:

Asus is not the first company to suffer from it
Doesn't excuse it.

quote:

I've never seen a circlejerk against the Prime as the one I've read through this thread.
That could very well mean we don't like eating poo poo sundaes and pretending they're ice cream. There's plenty of Teg2 tablets (including the original TF) that were obviously better built and vetted before launch. Stands to reason that will happen to the Teg3 tablets as well.

quote:

since you claim that this $500 fine piece of hardware is the worst of this world.
Nobody said that, you disingenuous turd.

Rastor posted:

I'm absolutely certain it would be a waste of everyone's time.
True.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 22, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Flobbster posted:

I don't know if this has been addressed in a previous post, but here goes:

My department purchased a handful of 7" Galaxy Tabs for educational use (I'm teaching a CS2/Java course using Android). I've been using mine for a while for testing and development, and the battery life is poo poo.

Just yesterday, I unplugged it from the wall and it had a full charge. I used it for barely a few minutes, and when I left it alone, the charge was still full or nearly full.

I leave it off the charger overnight, get back to my office this morning, and the battery life meter is almost all the way down to nothing. Wtf?

I have Bluetooth and GPS turned off -- I had wi-fi on, but it wasn't connected to the network at the time, and I can't imagine that wi-fi alone would drain it that much. (MY IPAD at home that gets even more use holds its charge for weeks).

I'm going to try turning off the wi-fi and see if I see any improvement, but is there anything I'm missing? Background services I can shut off? The tablet is fresh out of the box (running 2.2) with only a handful of small apps I've written myself installed on it.

Battery life is generally worse on Android, and oftentimes worse on 7" tablets because they have less space for batteries.

Turning off wifi/bluetooth when it's not in use will help. Past that there's a lot of voodoo rituals and apps that claim to help, but generally do not.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The big names will sell both until there's a clear winner. Low end turdlets will keep on rocking Android.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Splizwarf posted:

That's the upside of cheap crap, they have zero incentive to beat out the latest and greatest so sometimes a really solid device with decent (but not amazing) specs happens. Good designers have to start somewhere, and until the guys working for the top tier companies die or get fired, they have to work somewhere too.

Yes, that's positive.

Not sure how it outweighs one of if not the biggest Android tablet maker putting out dreck and treating their customers with utter contempt when their lovely designs quit working.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

explosivo posted:

Well poo poo, my (rooted) Fire definitely has some burn in going on at the bottom of the screen where the ICS notification bar is. I noticed issues with ghosting on the screen but it usually goes away. Has anybody else with a Fire had any burn in problems?

Burn-in on LCDs is literally unheard of anymore. That being said, this image retention issue is common enough you can find people complaining about it on Google. Apparently Amazon is pretty good about replacing them, so it might be worth calling and asking for a replacement.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I guess they had to do something with all those leftover ipad 1 bodies.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They melted them down and re-cast them in 16:10 aspect ratio?

:v:

The styling look almost identical to the original ipad. I know there's not a ton of design space for tablets but most makers are veering away from that 90 degree turns style. From what little time I spent with an ipad 1, it doesn't feel as nice as the tapered edges most makers are doing now.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hoppin Tin posted:

YourPad P4

$130

This is all you need to know to figure out it's a turd.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Colonel Sanders posted:

I am thinking about getting a tablet that I can use as a remote control, would really like one with built in IR.

This sounds cool in practice, but in reality it sucks rear end. Even a 7" tablet is bulky when you're trying to use it like a remote, there's no tactile feedback which is more important than you think, it's far more prone to breaking in situations/places where you'd normally keep a remote, and the battery life means you're going to be doing a lot of charging to keep it running.

The PS3 can only turn on/off via bluetooth (even if you get a IR dongle), so whatever tablet you had would have to support bluetooth commands in the remote software as well.

Seriously, just buy a Harmony remote or forget about the remote stuff altogether, you're artificially limiting yourself to a few tablets by requiring built-in IR.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's more pointless attempts at differentiation in a sea of Android tablets. I get why they do it, but you'd think somebody at these major companies would realize the futility of gimmicks to move units.

I guess Asus sort of did with the Transformer (although even the keyboard dock is a gimmick albeit one that you buy seperately), but fell down on build quality with the Prime.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

eric posted:

First Samsung and now Asus? Are premium Android tablet makers joining the race to the bottom?

I think the (short) history of Android tablets has shown that price is the primary motivation of most Android buyers.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Red_October_7000 posted:

I'm not trollin' (I know better than to troll SA); It's just that I've seriously been using resistive touch screens for many, many years, and I'd rather not have to learn a new mode of interaction (basically the same reason everything still has QWERTY keyboards even though the problem of typebars crashing against one-another was solved long before the personal computer was a thing), never mind that I hate fingerprints on my screen. I also prefer the precision afforded by a stylus pen; I've seen the stylus pens for the capacitive screens and they don't have any sort of point to them so there's no way to tell quite what you're hitting.

The answer is to deal with capacitive. Everybody else has (rightly) decided that it's a better technology than resistive. You will not get a "good" tablet with a resistive screen.

Also, in reference to your original post you bought a huge, giant, worthless piece of poo poo tablet. Return it if you can because you will never correct all the problems/annoyances you have with it.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 16, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vagrancy posted:

You might like the HTC Flyer since it's also 7', and the Honeycomb update that went out last year apparently gave it the ability to navigate the device with its pen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXamOqfmMk8

The HTC Flyer was also horribly reviewed by people in this thread - even after a price drop to $200 the consensus was it wasn't worth it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

b0nes posted:

So the new Transformer Pad is supposed to be a 'budget" version of the Transformer Prime? Aside from a plastic housing instead of metal what else is supposed to be different?

It's using a different screen type (IPS instead of "Super IPS", whatever that means), it will come in 8G capacity (the 201 is 16G), plastic back, and supposedly functioning GPS.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bonxai posted:

Those points do sound worrying, but if they had used metal like with the Prime, there would have been the same wifi problems. I imagine they could both be fixed by putting it in a case too. Here's another review that seems to be saying the opposite of everything the last review posted said:
http://www.slashgear.com/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-review-22223983/

The solution (which every other manufacturer seems to have figured out by now) is not to make the entire back out of metal, not change to plastic.

And honestly that Slashgear review is a joke. The reviewer doesn't comment at all on how the plastic body feels, other than to say "it runs with the top tier of android devices", whatever that means.

The other possibility is we're back to the same issue with the Prime where QC isn't there.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TildeATH posted:

This thread is full of the creepiest paternalists I've ever seen.

Look, you should always do well by your mom (unless she put you up for adoption, but even then, she might have had a decent reason) but for some people, that means $250. To get back to the car analogies, how would you feel if you bought your mom an iPad and some piece of poo poo millionaire came by and said, "Don't be cheap, buy your mom a BMW." And for those of you who bought your mom a BMW, just imagine it was some Saudi dude and he said "private island". For some people, spending an extra $150 isn't being cheap, it's just a reality of their budget. And then when the dipshits come out and say, "if $150 is meaningful to you, then you're too poor to buy a tablet, I would suggest you save that money to purchase some beans and perhaps a better bindlestick".

That said, I bought my mom the new iPad, because if you can afford it, moms really generally do better with Apple stuff.

What the hell? People aren't telling him to buy her a loving 64G LTE ipad, they're saying don't spend $250 on a fairly lovely tablet. Archos has NEVER been well regarded in the tablet market. Saving $100 by buying a product that's going to be problematic and frustrating isn't smart. gently caress, buy a refurb Transformer for $275 today at Newegg if you just can't swing it, but it's not paternalistic to tell somebody they're making a bad buying choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Porkchop Express posted:

I have had the original iPad since they first came out, but lately it has just been getting to big to use for reading. I like it but something smaller was in order. At first I was going to get the Kindle Fire, but I just didn't like the modified version of Android on it, so I ended up buying a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and I am really liking it so far. Its just the right size to hold for reading.

Seriously, why not just get an e-ink reader? It really does beat the pants off of any LCD solution for reading. And they'll be a backlit Nook touch available in a couple of weeks.