Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Porkchop Express posted:

Because i also use it for non-reading related tasks?

My point is if you already have a full size tablet it seems odd to buy a slightly smaller one for a task that's better served by a cheaper device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gyshall posted:

I've been on the fence to buy an Android tablet for a while now, but I'm not sure if I should. What I want is an Ice Cream Sandwhich tablet that is 10 inches and can be rooted/run custom firmware. Does this thing exist or should I just hold out?

There's really no reason to put custom firmware on something unless there's a problem with the firmware shipped. The Transformer line is pretty much stock ICS, so you'd be best off with one of those.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bonxai posted:

No you're right, it can do 720p just fine, I'm just being a graphics whore and wanting 1080p... Ever since I upgraded my PC to run games at full settings I've been noticing the differences in video quality better than I used to, and it's a blessing and a curse at once. It probably is harder to notice on a tablet, and graphics are less important to me for movies than for serious gaming simply because movies are a lot shorter, so unless Asus or someone else releases a full HD tablet any time soon, I probably will just get the 300. The 300 could play 1080p videos if connected to a 1080p HDTV though, right?

720p vs 1080p on a monitor for games is completely different animal than video playback. The difference between 720p and 1080p on a lot of TVs is indistinguishable depending on size/distance from screen. On a 10" tablet it will not be noticeable at all. For video playback, mind you - things like web browsing will obviously be different.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SlayVus posted:

I guess all touch screens are susceptible to those curvy lines if you use a light/small touch.

No, it's just vendors using poo poo screens. There's at least one phone/tablet that doesn't do that.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/moto-gives-straight-advice-on-smartphone-touchscreen-quality/

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

revolther posted:

Not trying to go totally off-topic, it's a new use of Android OS(to me), but saw this on Newegg the other day, whilst searching for networked HDD's and can't help but think it's a little brilliant. Reviews say ICS firmware is already available, 3x USB 2.0, hdmi out up to 1080p, all sorts of normal video codecs supported, HTML5 & Flash10 support through Chrome/Dolphin HD, PlayMarket out the box with reports of just about equal app parity as other android devices.

I know some 2.3/3/4+ android devices with mini-hdmi out ports support this already, like the photon(nexus?), but I love the idea of folks connecting their tabs/phones to a tv to replace desktop PC's, and now you could just use your device with popular android vnc apps as the wifi remote.

Almost makes me think Apple will be trying to do something similar to save the idea of AppleTV. Could be the right time with HD sets pretty well entrenched in the market as compared to a few years ago, and a decent way to replace a parents old computer and tiny monitor on the cheap for Father's Day.

There's dozens of small-box media players out there, the only thing that truly differentiates them is how reliable and user-friendly they are.

It sounds nice in theory but in reality I'd guess the user interface is a loving trainwreck. Trying to adapt a touchscreen-based OS into a 10' interface is not a small task.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

kmcormick9 posted:

streaming local content? No, it's not

It is, if you're willing to encode your files to .mp4.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

yamdankee posted:

Well when you call an Android device/tablet anything not an iPad, Playbook, or running Windows, that's a pretty huge list of devices. Android fragmentation coming in handy for large and ambiguous numbers!

Yeah, pretty much. People in the Kindle Fire, Nook, and Touchpad markets are at completely different price points than an ipad. If you segmented the market by form factor or price those numbers would look completely different.

I suppose the chart is accurate but its seems deliberately misleading.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

You Am I posted:

I am sure all of us, and most of the IT community knows that this 7" tablet isn't gunning for the iPad. However out in the media (especially non-IT) it is already being hyped as the iPad challenger.

Every android tablet that comes out is hyped as an ipad challenger. It manufactured tripe to stir up readers.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I've been looking at some very cheap tablet options and I'm wondering if those cheap china tablets are worth a drat, specifically this one:

http://www.pandawill.com/teclast-p85-dual-core-tablet-pc-hd-screen-8-inch-android-40-1g-ram-16gb-hdmi-camera-p65201.html

The price difference to the N7 is actually 85 USD in my country and I wonder if this would be decent enough, if all I'm looking for is web browsing, video calls and playing words with friends.

If you enjoy lousy viewing angles, poo poo battery life, horrible build quality, no warranty or support if it breaks in a week, sure! That's definitely a great tradeoff for $85.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

revolther posted:

I hope something as superficial as ads on the lockscreen sinks it. They are already produced and sold for profit, tied to a profit making app ecosystem, shoe horn some more profit in with unavoidable ads. It will help bring the social/economic problems of our information rich consumer society to center stage.

Conventional TV needs to hurry up and die so we can pass a consumer rights bill that empowers individuals to levy advertisers for access to their personal information. You wanna charge me 300 dollars for an advertising platform, so that you can use my internet connection to make millions advertising to me?

Sorry either the platform(tablet) needs to be free or consumers deserve a cut. There is literally nothing I can do with their product as productive as Amazon is by beaming it ads. With an install base of however million Kindle varieties, Amazon gets free advertising and a load of advertisers willing to pay 50k for 3 months of rotation in a 24/7 ad space.

Had they introduced that dual display e-ink back device, I would be totally rooting for them at least pushing the envelope. This is just a futile shot across the bow of ships Amazon couldn't hope to sink.

Is this a slashdot blog? The Fire is more than likely selling at cost or a loss. By your own admission the ads on the lock screen are superficial. They're targeting people who are too cheap to buy a full cost tablet, in which case you can live with ads on a screen you spend less than 1% of your time looking at.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

bawfuls posted:

So what are the odds the new Kindle Fires are root-able? Or is it unlikely anyone will put much effort into it if the bootloader is locked as expected?

Is it possible that putting Jelly Bean on one becomes about as difficult as jailbreaking an iPhone?

Seems very likely the bootloader will be locked, considering Amazon is selling at cost/loss to get media revenue. And honestly, with the Nexus 7" I can't see a lot of people caring about hacking the Fire to do something you can already buy for ~$50 more.