Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Frozen-Solid posted:

Here's an example of how phone apps not optimized for a tablet run. There are 2 options, "Stretch to fill screen" and "Zoom to fill screen"

Stretch to fill screen is the default. Here's Bacon Reader on that mode:

Then there's the zoom to fill screen, which is what the iPad does:

While the screen space in "stretch" mode could be spent better on a tablet, it doesn't feel out of place like the zoom mode does.

In every single app I've used on my tablet which gave me this option, stretch looked so much better than zoom. Granted I'm using a TouchPad so the resolution is only 1024x768 instead of the standard 1280x800, but I can't imagine ever zooming apps instead of stretching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

wandler20 posted:

I want to try out another tablet (currently have a Xoom, not satisfied with size/weight).

I'm torn between the Samsung 7" and the Samsung 8.9". What would you guys recommend? I use it for a little bit of everything.

Go to Best Buy or another store that has floor models you can play with. I've spent time with my brother's 7 inch Nook Color, my 10 inch iPad 2 and TouchPad, and I've played with a Galaxy Tab 8.9. Of all of the sizes, the 8.9 felt the best to me. Big enough for watching video but smaller and lighter and less unwieldy. But with anything else, it's subjective so check them out and go with what feels best to you.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

wandler20 posted:

The problem for me is I'm 100 miles from a Best Buy/place that carries either. I'll probably just order the 8.9" and if I don't like it I can send it back.

Gotcha. What I can say is that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is thinner and lighter than what you're used to with the Xoom. So just scale that down a little more to 9 inches and there's the 8.9. The one thing to keep in mind is that it's a dual core Tegra 2 and the quad core Tegra 3 tablets are starting to come out. But if size is the main determining factor, I'd go with the Tab 8.9.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

McLarenF1 posted:

I keep flip flopping between using the stock web browser on my Price w/ ICS and Opera Mobile. I want to use Opera Mobile more, but the fact that it doesn't have a "Request Desktop Site" option like the stock browser keeps me from committing. Are there any other mobile browsers that I should now about?

For anyone on ICS (tablets and phones included), check out ICS Browser +. It's the stock ICS browser with a few teaks such as an expanded quick menu, more user agent options, and gestures. More features are planned. I'm using it on my Galaxy Nexus and CM9 TouchPad and it's the best Android browser I've tried.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.beansoft.browserplus

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Syrinxx posted:

32GB 9.7" HP Touchpad is $219 today on Woot. There's an early build of CM7 for this tablet I think so it's a pretty great deal.

CM9 alpha is out too. But for that price it might be a better idea to get a first gen HC tablet wit dev support.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

IT Guy posted:

Remember the $99 HP tablet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ym7NUOGyEs

I should have bought one.

:psyduck:

I bought a 16GB for $99 and 32GB for $149 during the firesale. I sold the 16GB for $220 which netted me the 32GB for about $30. It's now a nicely speced ICS tablet with good developer support. It's far and away the best tech purchase I've ever made, and I'd probably feel the same way even if my full cost was $99/149.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Rumbaar posted:

I was undecided on getting a Nexus 7, and now reading of the image persistence issue. I guess I'll take a wait and see approach.

Shame if it was in store as of now, or available. I would have gotten it.

Just an FYI, Google and ASUS are on record saying they can't reproduce the ghosting issue. I've also only seen a couple complaints about it, so some think it's probably just an issue with a limited number of I/O devices, which are pre-production units. Anything is possible though, so waiting isn't a bad approach. That said, I preorded mine anyway.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

potentiometer posted:

Nova works great on the Nexus 7, screen rotates and it seems all the other functions available on Google Nexus are available on the N7.

Yikes, I always liked "that" word, always reminds me of one of the finer things in life.

Welp, back to "Barnes & Noble Nook modified to run on android 3.0"

What home screen layout does Nova Launcher use on the Nexus 7 in landscape? Is it the same phone-ish layout as the sock launcher, or does it switch to the HC/ICS tablet layout? I know people have gotten the tablet layout by changing the screen's DPI, but I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

potentiometer posted:

Not exactly sure if i've seen the tablet layout in landscape unless you mean what i'm seeing now. When I switch to landscape in Nova Prime the search bar turns into a magnifying glass icon on the left side of the screen and the dock moves to the right side in a vertical format, the rest of the screen icons, folders, ect just stretchs out. I tried to get a couple screen shots up but imgur won't play nice with me.

Thanks, that sounds like how Nova displays on a phone in landscape rather than the tablet layout. I wonder if the dev will find a way to use the tablet layout since I'd rather not actually change the DPI and have to deal with Play Store compatibility issues.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Vagrancy posted:

You'll have to change DPI. The bars are managed by the system, not the launcher/homescreen. Devs are limited to dimming/periodically hiding the bars. Apparently the reasoning behind going for split rather than combined bars is that the later felt "cramped".

I haven't handled a Nex7 (so I could be off base), but conceptually I see what they mean. The form factor lends itself to a one-handed grip, so if the soft buttons/notification were pushed to the edges you'd get some weird compromises like having to reach further with the other hands thumb. I could also see some grips inadvertently pressing the buttons, which is much less likely when they're positioned in the middle. I also don't think the traditional Honeycomb style homescreen with no dock would've worked as well since it doesn't have as much real estate to use for widgets, making it a net loss.

Plus its not as if it's a straight off cut and paste of the smaller screen layout, since you get additions like the screen rotation toggle in the notification shade.

I got mine yesterday and you're right, the layout is somewhere between a phone and tablet. I'm going to give it some time to grow on me, but some things seem odd compared to ICS.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I really want one of the cheap fake leather folio cases, but there are a million different ones on Amazon, half of them appear to be the same thing, and there's no telling of any of them are higher quality than the others. I'm trying to wait until some people get them and report on quality, but I don't want my N7 to get damaged in the mean time. It's so pretty. :(

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Karthe posted:

The glass on the Nexus 7 is the same as the iPhone 4S, right? I used to be a huge proponent for screen protectors until I got a 4S, and now I'm not so sure they're needed any more as my phone has yet to see a scratch on the screen (I still have it ensconced in a case). I'm guessing the Nexus 7 is tougher than it looks, but I'm still in the same boat as you.

Yeah I'm not really concerned about a screen protector, more about damage to the rest of the device. I want some kind of a folio that way it's completely protected when not in use but there's nothing on the screen to affect the display or scrolling when I'm using it. It just has to be a decent looking folio that fits well, it's complete poo poo, and stays closed.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

If its the same as my 4s (which I don't use a screen protector on) I'd be fine with not using a screen protector, except the anti-smudge coating is either really lovely or nonexistent. I need a screen protector just so I am not staring at a billion copies of my fingerprints.

You're right about that, the fingerprints on my N7 are so much more noticeable than on my GN and iPad. A screen protector might be worth it just to help with it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Don Lapre posted:

just FYI, the zagg/bestskinever seem to repel fingerprints alot better than the perfectly clear cling protectors. Unless someone makes an oleophobic one for the nexus 7.

I would want something that's as clear as possible though. I hate how some make the screen dimmer or grainy looking. How are Zagg and Bestskinever in that respect?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

UncleGuito posted:

They definitely add the "egg shell" type layer to the screen. They also increase traction, which can be kind of annoying when you're dragging your finger quickly.

Yeah that would annoy the hell out of me. If I use anything I'd want it to look and feel as much like the naked glass as possible, just with less fingerprints.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Chas McGill posted:

The fingerprints will really bother me for the first week or so, then I won't even notice them.

Got mine a few hours ago, though I haven't actually turned it on yet. The packaging isn't nearly as bad as those videos made it out to be. The sleeve is quite tight, yes, but it didn't take much effort to get off. I'm a packaging nerd and, while this isn't amazing, it isn't as bad as many electronics I've bought and I like how unfussy the box is.

I also really like the dimpled back. One of the things I hate about Ipads and other shiny electronics is their lack of tactility and texture. Quite impressed with the build and design on show at this price point.

I was expecting to need the jaws of life after watching that unboxing compilation video. Instead I carefully removed the sleeve (which was a bit tight as you said), cut the tape with an actual blade, and easily opened the box. I don't know what the hell was wrong with all those people.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Tunga posted:

Are there any good solutions to let me read and response to SMS seemlessly from my tablet (N7)? Requiring my phone (GNex) to be on the same Wi-Fi network is fine. I'm fine with paying for something but it must not add any bullshit tag lines to my texts and the interface should look and work something like the usual Messaging app (conversations, contact icons, forwarding, etc.).

If you're open to using Google Voice, that will work flawlessly. I do and can send and receive texts with my phone, tablet, and any PC from the website.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Polo-Rican posted:

This worked on my N7. The left edge was popping up, but just barely... like, we're talking a half-millimeter. Now it's perfect! Took only like 2 minutes.

I did this and it worked for me as well, for a while. The screen started lifting up again after a day or two so I just emailed Google asking for a replacement. I wasn't too upset about having to perform a simple one time fix, but I'm not going to have to keep adjusting it every few days.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Slo-Tek posted:

How long were you on the blower? Called the other day and waited 5 minutes on the "Call volume has been high, expect exceptionally long wait times" line, then said eh, it's google, I can e-mail them.

I e-mailed them 2 days ago through the support e-mail, and they have not responded.

Same here but I was on hold for at least 15 minutes before I e-mailed.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Syrinxx posted:

Well the tablet Facebook app is just as lovely and slow and battery hogging as the phone one. Can anyone recommend a full FB replacement app with a nice tablet layout? Extra thanks if its a twitter/foursquare client too. Thanks

Depends on your tablet. FriendCaster works well tablets and it had a great layout on my CM9 Touchpad. However it uses the regular phone layout on the Nexus 7.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Does this matter though? A defect is a defect, I would have them fix it.

Pretty much this. I probably wouldn't have bothered ordering a replacement from mine if I hadn't read so many reports of the same defect, but I did. It's a fairly widespread issue and Google should take care of it. I just wonder how long the replacements will take to ship, especially since the 16GB model is no longer available from the Play Store.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Kaneda posted:

I'd love to use Google Voice, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use with my own phone number.

For example, I'd like to be able to use my N7/desktop to send SMS messages from Google Voice, but have them appear to the sender like they were sent from my cell # (not my GVoice number).

It would also be cool if I could forward any SMS from my Android phone to GVoice, so I could read from N7/desktop.

Basically, is it possible to use GVoice with my existing phone number, or do I have to use the GVoice number I got when I signed up? Anyone know if this is possible?

You can if you're on Sprint. Other than that I don't think it's possible.

efb

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

alted2 posted:

Has anyone successfully replaced their Nexus 7 through the Google Play store? I filled out the website form yesterday and received an email saying their will be a delay before I receive a response; I'm wondering how long I should expect to wait.

I sent an email asking for a replacement on Saturday and got a response with instructions and a link to place the order on Monday. I have no idea when it will ship though.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

The way I think they have been handling RMAs is they credit your google play account and you just purchase another one. A phone call might be your best bet.

Kind of. They put a temp hold on your credit card for the purchase price of the replacement. Once you send back the original they take off the hold, or if they don't get it back in 21 days they process the charge.

I e-mailed support on Saturday, got a response and link to order the replacement on Monday, it was just delivered today.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

zwee posted:

I had Google send me a replacement 16GB since I had the screen lifting issue everyone else is having. The fix mentioned earlier in the thread only worked for a day or so until I noticed the separation again. My replacement came in today and it has the same lifting problem :argh:

That sucks, my replacement seems perfect. I'll be keeping an eye out for screen lifting for a few days before I consider it case closed, but so far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
My 16 GB Nexus 7 has been getting sluggish lately and I've been reading that this can happen if the storage is almost full. It's running CM10 M2 (4.1.2). Looking at the screenshot below, I can't figure out where a lot of the space is being used. It only shows 4.13 GB free, but everything else it shows doesn't come anywhere near close to 9 GB. I'm assuming something has to be using that space. I only have two nandroid backups and I don't know what else it would be.