Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I'm seriously considering this one if it actually turns out to be real - the upgrades to TouchWiz look pretty drat impressive and the resolution can't be beaten.

Kirk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Not always true

Man i'd hate having to pay that much twice.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I'm seriously considering this one if it actually turns out to be real - the upgrades to TouchWiz look pretty drat impressive and the resolution can't be beaten.

Kirk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 7, 2012

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

donglelord posted:

This is what causes the rebooting issue you were complaining about earlier. Only time my OG Transformer has ever auto rebooted was when overclocking it that high with the same ROM.

I wouldn't be so sure, I've seen a variety of android tablets and phones that like to reboot randomly (Or maybe just for fun? Do androids dream of electric sheep.....)

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Kynetx posted:

More RAM. Considering how much storage is cloud-based and SD cards are cheap, you could scale back the internal bulk storage to fund more RAM.
One of the intangibles that has worked so well for Apple that seems to be ignored by Android manufacturers is scrolling smoothness. I think there are specific optimizations for this purpose built into the Cortex chips made for Apple, but perhaps some kernel tweaking could be effective?

Good idea. Kernel optimization will fix the problem.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
So I've decided to give the Android world another shot. I picked up a used Motorola Xoom (i know :rolleyes:), installed the ICS upgrade, and...

It's actually pretty good. It's much faster than I remember, and I'm starting to really like the whole ICS desktop paradigm. The browser is definitely improved over the old Honeycomb one.

Is there a list of must-have android tablet games kicking around?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Beyond puzzle games, I mean. Something more in-depth - RPGs, etc.

I'd also like to find a good XBMC remote control app. Before I got rid of my iPad I had Constellation, which was amazing and I'd love to find something similar for ICS.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Something wrong with the official XBMC app?

This is to control XBMC on my desktop, does the XBMC App interface with an HTPC running XBMC?

Also most of these games are retreads of games I played on iPad - are there any that are Android specific?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Easier emulation is about the only thing Android has going for it on the gaming front when compared to iOS stuff.

I do have a hankering to play Final Fantasy 4 again.

quote:

Also, go away Kirk.

Seriously? I actually have a Xoom. I'm enjoying it.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
~o bird mod of little faith~

Anyway, yes, I was just wondering if there were any Android exclusive apps that I may have previously missed.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I'm not terribly upset about the lack of Android originals, and with Nvidia dumping loads of money into the platform I'm sure we'll see some exclusives in the future. There's lots of other stuff to be excited about as well. For example: I no longer have to use iTunes. That's probably worth the price of admission alone.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Chances are I'll upgrade the Xoom to a Transformer Infinity for school this fall. While the whole PadFone platform looks really cool, I don't need a new phone for the time being.

What would be cool is if Asus put out a Transformer Phone that wirelessly synced stuff between the Infinity and the Phone, so you get all the benefits of the Padfone concept but without having to only use one device or the other at a time.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Dodoman posted:

A quarter (more if you include the Tegrazone stuff) is Android exclusive :unsmith:.

Yeah I've been slowly sorting through the list, some of this poo poo is pretty radical.

I also had my first :aaa:android!!:aaa: moment when i realized i could use it as mass storage to bring a couple movies over to my girlfriends house and play them on her TV with ease instead of having to worry about software poo poo.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Secret Sweater posted:

Can't tell if you're being serious or not, one of the USB modes is called 'mass storage.'

Well I hadn't actually plugged it into a PC until yesterday :v:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I was out buying an SD Card for the Xoom today, and I got to play with a Transformer Prime at the store. There were actually two, but one couldn't turn on. The other one was AMAZING. Holy poo poo that thing is fast, and I thought the Xoom was smooth with ICS. I was extremely tempted to buy it right then and there, but I'm holding out for the Transformer Infinity... which has no release date announced.

drat you Asus.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Over this weekend I ended up very stupidly dropping my Xoom at a party, and now the screen is (Slightly) cracked and the SD Card slot doesn't work. As such I've retired it and given it to my girlfriend to use, as she doesn't mind the defects. Since the Transformer Infinity doesn't have a release date announced, I've decided I'm just gonna grab a Prime tomorrow morning.

My question is thus: Is the keyboard dock actually worth it?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
So! I decided not to purchase the Transformer Prime for the time being and took my Xoom back from the girlfriend. However, I still need to replace it by this summer for school. Outside of the Transformer Infinity, are there any tablets that fit my needs here:

- Super high DPI screen for reading textbooks
- A source for said textbooks (I have yet to investigate what Google Books has in this regard)
- I'd like to do some gaming on this thing as it will be my only computing device, so good games are a must
- Wireless syncing with my phone - I'm picking up a new phone in a few months and I'd like for my contacts, music, video, docs, etc. to all by automatically synced
- I'm going to be doing some software development with regards to weather monitoring, so having a barometer would be pretty awesome (I know some tablets have them?)

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Rastor posted:

No doubt Samsung will announce something with iPad 3 -ish specs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

illectro posted:

Anyway this is the video showing the crack in my screen, Asus tech support people insist that 'under no circumstances will warranty ever cover a cracked screen' but they are just the phone support people so I guess I need to RMA it and then complain directly to the actual service people.

Yeah that's a pretty good plan. I did the same thing with a deli slicer and the service people were way more helpful than the vapid idiots on their support number.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

illectro posted:

I spoke to one person so far and honestly I doubt they would have much say as to the status, I just need to get it shipped to them and then start the real bargaining.

Hopefully the video will have a few more views by then.

drat, that is a good idea. I forgot that your youtube video will be the ultimate bargaining chip. Bad Press is poison to a company like This. You should post some more Videos detailing the whole process, I'm very curious about how this all Plays Out.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I hope you videotaped the packaging process. Asus rma centers in the past have damaged peoples devices and then claimed it was the owners fault.

Wow this company is getting Worse and Worse in my eyes all the time. I wish Google did not use Asus for the Nexus 7, if this is what their customer service is Like!

Maybe next time it will be a Samesung or something quality like that, maybe Google will finally utilize Motorla

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

The current rumor is the 10" Nexus device will be by Samsung so I doubt they'll let Samsung control both 7 and 10 if they're giving them 10 already.

I am glad that is the Case, I'm sure Samesung will do a better job than Asus. Here is to Hoping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Why is there is there so much lag on the new 10?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt1ZKiZaem8&t=78s

Wow! A Great tablet for a Great price. Some websites look to be lagging, but That is okay for my Needs. Does this Nexus 10 come with any Peripherals, like such as perhaps an Earbud? That would push me over the Edge for a purchase....