Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

32GB 9.7" HP Touchpad is $219 today on Woot. There's an early build of CM7 for this tablet I think so it's a pretty great deal.
There have been like 5 of them in SA-Mart in the last week. Just lowball those fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Some thoughts after coming back to a couple hundred unread posts and a handful of reports:
  • I'm proud of (most of) you guys for remaining civil. It was a long, tedious, and annoying derail that didn't need to happen, but you kept it (mostly) clean.

• Android guys: don't panic whenever anything Apple is mentioned. The comparison is often warranted and can lead to civil conversation. Most of you have no problem with that though. Good job. With that said, you folks have had to put up with way too much Apple chat lately, which brings me to my next point:

• YOSPOS guys: give it a rest. We know it's hilarious that someone is trying to turn a $75 e-reader into a usable tablet. We know that it's hilarious that someone's newly-purchased tablet isn't working as intended out of the box. We know that it's hilarious that most Android OEMs don't know what the gently caress they're doing. That's why we have a thread right here on SA with over 35,000 posts laughing at Android and some of its more ridiculous users.

It's not outright trolling, but lately you're trying way too often to bait Android posters into melting down. We've avoided punishing you too much because your arguments are all fact-based, but it's just become tedious and frustrates people who support Android. I'm not trying to turn this into a pro-Android echo chamber, but just stop baiting the Android fans into flipping their poo poo. Most of the zealots are gone and now it's just getting old.

Please keep the mockery (of Android please, it's not Helldump) in YOSPOS where it belongs and let IYG actually talk about Android tablets, especially the new and exciting stuff. I'd like to turn IYG into a positive resource for the Android community so people who want to discuss the platform rationally don't have to rely on cesspools like XDA.
Speaking of YOSPOS, everyone should feel free to read and contribute in there. I know that you guys think it's a pro-Apple forum (how did that happen?), but we hate on all technology lifestyles. Also, the pro-Android camp's been pretty quiet since fishmech got trained to Coupons and Janin lost his job at Google.

Lastly, I know the thread is called the "Android laugh factory", but there actually is more discussion of Android devices and such going on over there than in IYG. Shocking, I know. You might get the same sort of browbeating that you've been experiencing in here lately, but I try to make sure that we're accepting of all kinds in YOSPOS. If you can look at technology dispassionately (and that really is the key), it's a lot of fun in there.

As always, feel free to shoot myself or 900ftjesus a PM if you have any thoughts, ideas, or criticism of how to best serve Android discussion or IYG in general. I'll leave this closed until some time tomorrow morning so everyone can get an opportunity to read it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

8 cores, but 2 of them don't work so the specs get changed to 6.
Come on now we're not talking about the PS3!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

<3
I hope Vagrancy lobbed that one over the plate intentionally, but I doubt it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

But then I used my parents' iPads. They both bought iPad 2s about a month after it came out. I quickly found that the iPad is almost always nothing more than an iPhone with a magnifying glass over it. There's literally a button to control what level of magnification you'd like. It's pathetic.
Almost every app that matters has a universal or iPad-specific version now, so your opinion is pretty skewed by year-old impressions.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I have long hated Apple products for a variety of reasons that will be saved for another post
No one cares.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 7, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

An any apps that aren't planning to support iPads or are abandoned will look like poo poo forever because the technology isn't there to help with that. The same isn't necessarily true with Android. Pretty much the only apps I've found that don't scale too well are select games that weren't really good looking in the first place.

If that looks good to you, then to each their own. :shobon:

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Well aware, I didn't say that I was going to post any of that soon, but glad you can get off on being a jerk.
Please take your angry Apple opinions to YOSPOS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Touchpad:

That's because the Touchpad is 4:3 so there's not as far to stretch it in landscape mode compared to some other tablets. Skype hasn't done anything.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

I think my issue stems more from the fact that every time the iPad is brought up it turns into a two page derail about the iPad, what thread its being talked about in, etc.

The dude that started this was an idiot, is it possible to move on and try to ignore the idiot? We don't have much luck ignoring the YOSPOS idiots I know but a boy can dream.
I think most were merely responding to Gorilla Salsa's positive impressions of an Android tablet that boiled down to:
  • I hate Apple :confused:
  • non-native tablet apps look bad. Well no poo poo but that's almost a non-issue these days, and neither iOS' or Android's scaling solution is ideal.
  • I love Android gaming, and I will demonstrate that by showing a mediocre game that's also on iOS.
Those are hardly spectacular selling points. That's just being disingenuous to prospective shoppers because then misinformed opinions are just getting echo-chambered. This isn't the iPad thread, but it's also not the "regurgitate poo poo I read on XDA about Android supremacy 18 months ago" thread. Consumers should be as educated as possible before making a purchase or you end up with a mountain of devices on SA-Mart a month later. See: Archos, Galaxy Tab 7, G-Tablet, TouchPad, etc.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Where all the people with Touchpads running janky CM ports posting?
SA-Mart.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mean it was supposed to be a joke, but really guys it's not that funny.

Also we never really got that sorted out. We were going to rearrange the WebOS stuff once HP decided not to kill it because that thread was getting too derailed with Android on TouchPad discussion, but I think that's died down a bit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not sure if they're still tough to find, but there's a Prime on SA-Mart already.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Angry Spaniard posted:

What are the tests to run again on this sexy thing to know if yours is hosed up (which I hope is not my case)?
Check Wi-Fi, check for backlight bleed, check for pitting on the body, check for dead pixels, check that the camera isn't junk.

Don't bother checking GPS; it's defective by design.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evilweasel posted:

So to repeat a question I asked a little while ago: what's the best source of information on upcoming tablets? I'm interested in getting something similar to the Thinkpad tablet but it seems to me like it's liable to be improved soon, and since I don't have a pressing need for it right now and the current generation has some kinks in it I'd like to wait and see if the next gen works any better.
Anandtech maybe? They handle more of the technical side of upcoming SoCs and such, but your alternatives are places like Engadget and The Verge which can be tough to keep up with. Most of the dedicated Android/tablet sites are garbage.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

In an effort to cut down on the constant Prime criticism, I have made some additions to the OP. You will find a new "should I buy an Android tablet?" section as well. Don't take it personally, I'd advise iPad 2 customers not to buy one right now either. Please take a moment to review the revised OP, and feel free to PM me any contributions you'd like to add. I'll open the thread back up in a little bit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Was it this thread or the last thread when we had the huge multi-page derail about Android interface responsiveness? I think it was back in December when those Google+ posts started the whole saga.

Basically, go read the old thread if you care about why Android's interface chugs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

So we get a day or two to discuss the technology instead of fending off the YOSPOS knuckle-draggers and you declare the subject off limits? C'mon man... I'd rather read re-hashed content than shitposts.
DID YOU KNOW: it takes time for probations to go through because an admin has to approve them?

It's not my fault idiots bit on an obvious troll.

edit: If you guys are going to insist on biting on every troll before I can get to them, I can just close the thread again while we wait for probations to clear like I did last time.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 10, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This is now a bans only zone. Tread carefully and stay on target, otherwise the red hammer's gonna get'chu.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I read the OP but saw no mention of the XOOM in it...realistically how much longer will Google support the XOOM with updates and poo poo like that? I'm looking for an android tablet but rather not spend 5/600, and I figure since the XOOM is kinda googles "nexus" tablet it would probably be the safe bet at a 3/400 dollar price point...
I don't think it's safe to assume that the XOOM or the even the XOOM 2 will act as Google's "Nexus tablet". The merger hasn't even happened yet and both devices were designed and released without Google's supervision.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hey idiots shut up about the iPhone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Still kicking myself over not grabbing one when Woot had them; cheaper it is, the easier it is to just have fun and not get hung up if something goes weird.
There is a mountain of them on SA-Mart lately (the honeymoon period is over) if you really want one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah for 300+ because people think they are worth money or something. Completely serious. I'm not going to pay that kind of money for something I know they got for a third of that. Maybe craigslisters are that stupid though.
From what I've seen, they're not actually selling for that price though. People can ask for whatever they want, but there's no reason you can't lowball them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're not doing the "angry opinions about Apple based on misinformation or old impressions" derail this week, thanks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The whole interview is a pr fluff piece.
A fluff piece from CNET, you say? I'm shocked!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evilweasel posted:

What's the usual lag time between a tablet announcement and being able to actually buy it?
There is no "usual lag time" because each vendor is different. poo poo, vendors like ASUS aren't even consistent between there own tablet products. Sometimes it's 2 weeks. Sometimes it's 6 months. Sometimes it never comes out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Do you have any numbers to back this up?
2 seconds on Google.

Revenue down 11% MOM in January, 18% in December, and 5% in November. It was not a fun holiday season for Asus, which I'm sure they'll talk about during their quarterly conference call in 2 days.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Smeego posted:

YOSPOS
I think you mean XDA.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sethsez posted:

Mostly it'd just be nice if every single issue with an Android tablet didn't have at least one person coming in saying "HOW DO YOU ALL THINK THIS IS ACCEPTABLE" when nobody here has said it is.
Use the report button.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dodoman posted:

You must be the only person who doesn't like the new font. What about it don't you like?
Not really. It's not a very good font.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kirk posted:

Also most of these games are retreads of games I played on iPad - are there any that are Android specific?
Easier emulation is about the only thing Android has going for it on the gaming front when compared to iOS stuff.

Also, go away Kirk.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

Slow night in YOSPOS? Jesus Christ.
What are you even on about now?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is BGR ever right about anything?
Nope.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rastor posted:

if you haven't you all should listen to the last verge podcast starting at about 40:00
Not sure why Rastor didn't cross-post this. I found their discussion about Android tablets rather interesting, especially with respect to their thoughts about Windows 8.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why don't you stop making my life so difficult by quoting it?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 7, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Where is "here"?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I can tell you if you need a tablet or not: you don't. No one does, except people who develop apps for them.
You don't need a television either, but a lot of people sure seem to like them. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TildeATH posted:

So, in my foolhardy attempt to actually discuss Android tablets, is there any real word on the next Google reference tablet?
It'll probably be Jelly Bean-based, so I don't expect anything any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

b0nes posted:

How about ultrabooks?
Completely different price points and features and shouldn't be compared to netbooks/Chromebooks.