Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When it's working, what is the performance difference like with ART?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Well this was somewhat unexpected:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/541672/Nokia%20N1.html

At least the 4:3 screen ratio is a plus for me, however knowing Nokia's previous attempts at making tablets and booklets it's probably way too pricey.

EDIT: Rumored price is 249 USD.

Assuming it's in the Google Ecosystem then that looks seriously appealing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

Apparently it doesn't have any Google apps preloaded. It might be "fixable" with root and that'd be a pretty appealing price but we'll have to see.

What happened to Nokia's Android fork, is that dead? Nokia X or whatever it was. I went to a dev talk about it and it seemed like a complete shitheap. They had something like seven different third-party app stores pre-loaded on the thing because it was clearly not going to get any kind of market share so they were just throwing Android apps at it from existing sources even though half of them wouldn't work due to Google-based dependencies.

Every single person walked out saying "that thing is dead on arrival, just came for the free pizza and to see how bad it would be".

That was Nokia Devices, the part that they sold to Microsoft, I think? This tablet is actually from the original Finnish Nokia that still exists in the non-smartphone arena. It's complicated. The brand is spread now.

But I don't know whatever happened with the Nokia X.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If your Microsoft-sold tablet on its Microsoft OS with Microsoft's browser got outperformed by Google's browser, wouldn't it bother you?

Sounds like a situation that would be worthy of great mockery and general derision.

Fortunately, Edge fixed the issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think I'm gonna grab a Shield K1. Does anyone know of a decent keyboard cover that'd work?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So was there anything out of MWC to challenge ordering a Shield K1?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there an accessories thread?

I kinda want to buy a powerpack that I can attach to the back of my shield somehow and have whilst I use it.

Maybe I'll stick some elastics to the back of my case and get a large, thin powerpack that I can strap in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fishmech posted:

The problem, really, is that the primary way e-ink can use very little power in active use, is that it doesn't refresh often. A form of e-ink that could handle updating as fast as LCDs do is both very difficult and would completely lose the power benefits when showing the motion.

The Sharp Memory LCD used for the Pebble Time has 30hz refresh and 64 colours, and gets similar daylight visibility (I think Sharp's making transflective ones too now) and battery life to the e-ink Pebble v1. Although actually changing many pixels that fast particularly often would drain it substantially faster, but an interface could be built around minimising that whilst still using it to be more responsive. It'd be good for a higher-grade e-reader with some actually usable Web browsing ability and some other basic tablet features and apps.

Unfortunately, they're not making them over 4.4 inches yet. Bet Amazon could convince them though. The Kindle... Ember.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 30, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

I'm sure Nintendo could make good touch-screen-only games.
Porting games with a software controller taking up half the screen would be a nightmare if that's what you mean, though.

Before the 3DS came out I was speculating that maybe the DS2 would have a widescreen top touchscreen and you'd be able to do a 360 degree open to play touch-only games.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kea posted:

I completed pokemon black on my N7, dont remember the emulator but it ran at 100% with no sound and the controls could be moved around and resized, worked well.

I found it worked best with the two screens positioned at top and bottom of the device screen and controls actually sitting in the gap in between, semitransparent (since there was some overlap). And per-game removing all of the buttons that didn't matter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If it's DS, you want DraStic. It's light-years ahead of anything else, not to mention dramatically faster (or more to the point on modern devices, less battery-draining)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Dunno, but I'd really like a new nexus 7 (or nexus 8, they could probably fit an 8 inch screen onto the size of the 2012 nexus 7 by now).

That's basically the feature, size and price scope the K1 fills right now, google build cycle excepted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If he's Chinese, would he prefer something with a stylus for input? Maybe a full stylus like Wacom or NTrig or S-Pen, but even something like DirectStylus 2 or the C-Pen would be totally practical for character input over a general capcitive stylus.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 12, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Google thinks Chrome doesn't need extensions on Android because apps it would let people block adwords and tracking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rather than this pretend-the-SD-is-internal malarky google needs a framework where duplicatable application data for large apps (games) can be set to automatically store on the external whilst user-created data and config is stored internally.

Google's current philosophy is that it should all be clouded to their servers and local memory wipe should be incidental, though, which is why local getting less reliable is irrelevant. The same device-as-terminal stuff they've always peddled. If your SD card goes when the memory is integrated, pull it, reset the phone to factory, reload from the big G.

After all, it's not like you need all that extra space, all your media and photos streamed straight from and to the Google Play cloud, right? give us your data give it to us

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 20, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I really just want another Nexus 7 or similar sized tablet. Which is why I was probably going to buy a shield until I saw that it's basically two years old at this point so screw that.

Hold on till October/November, get new Shield.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ChromeOS hating local storage is a very deliberate move by Google because they want to force everything onto to their cloud, much like the lack of SD cards in Nexus phones. A chromebook being basically a dumb terminal for your google account is the entire point of ChromeOS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The later tetras are perfectly fine chips when the battery use doesn't matter so much.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Daimo posted:

Maybe it's just me but when supply can't meet demand...

Because they've decided not to bother? Pretty sure they were cheap because NVidia wasn't really making a profit, but was trying to use them to promote GameStream as a platform. That didn't pan out all that successfully, so NVidia's clearly rethinking their tablet plans.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What would be the recommended tablet for a kind of lounge room console for my parents? Something that wouldn't really go anywhere or be unplugged, just sit there and control netflix and chromecast and spotify.

Kindle Fire?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Die Sexmonster! posted:

If the Switch runs Android, I'll end up selling my Surface.

There are a billion reasons that won't happen, but...

I wouldn't be surprised if it runs a heavily forked android as its underlying base OS. Obviously won't be a google play device, though.

If we're lucky, it might have a decent browser so you can use it as a browsing and media tablet as well as gaming. Probably not, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nobody is saying that they'd be using Android AOSP-style. I meant closer to how things like Google TV and Chromecast dongles run Android-based software. It's a solid base to build on and the hardware is a progression of stuff NVidia's already got android code for, and it means you get prebuilt handlers for lots of elements of the system - connectivity, touch, etc - already mature. Everything user-facing would be ground-up, of course.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 24, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KoB posted:

Judging from their new phones, they killed the nexus brand so they could increase the price to normal gadget levels.

To be fair, they spiked the quality too - a Pixel is definitely a few grades above a Nexus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Depends on a Nexus what. I was/am pretty happy with my Nexus 10; not all Nexus releases are full of lemons.

I wasn't really arguing that the Nexus were lemons, just that the Pixels were a step above, even for the good Nexii. The hardware-specific optimisation is really noticeable.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 27, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be honest, I think barely anyone uses the K1 for games. It's just a really well-priced small size tablet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hmm. A 10 inch tablet will just give her more small elements. What you really want is Android N's DPI adjustment controls. You can scale the screen from 0.8 to 1.5x, or more through Developer Options. Kick it high enough and a tablet even goes into phone UI.

Dunno what reasonably priced tablets would have N, though. The K1 is meant to get N in a few weeks, but that's only a promise and it's only 8 inches.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 24, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Stick with a Fire tablet or iPad. Don't get your grandmother an actual Android tablet.

Normally yes, but if vision is the really limited factor those DPI settings are going to be a gamechanger, and iPad and Fire don't have equivalent. The other accessibility options are pretty half-hearted.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 24, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can do that in all android versions too, but text alone isn't all that useful when the rest of the UI is left small.

Anyone here got a Pixel C on N who could pop into Dev Options and set Smallest Width to 480 and take a shot of the result?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 25, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's also worth noting that the shield tablet came out in, what, 2014? It got a little refresh in 2015 but the specs stayed the same. It's pretty drat old by phone/tablet standards. It's nice that it got 7.0 but I don't expect it to get anything past that.

FWIW 7.0 seems pretty fast on mine, make sure you're not using adopted storage because that poo poo slows it down and totally sucks.

It may be three years old, but unfortunately there's still nothing better in the size and price range.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dissss posted:

Nah that battle has already happened and the laptop won.

I wouldn't say that while the Surface Pro is out there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fishmech posted:

You mean that thing most people use with a keyboard and mouse or the "keyboard case" with a touchpad?

I find most people back and forth, which is entirely the point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

silence_kit posted:

I think it is mostly that making good hardware requires careful planning and management of logistics, and Google is unwilling to dedicate enough resources to the task to do a good job on that. It is more profitable for them to have e.g. more people working on inserting ads into Google Maps or whatever.

Also, Google usually hops into the hardware game when they feel like the regular manufacturers running their stuff aren't performing up to scratch and want to show them up through competition. It's a little like how their original reason for creating Chrome was to make MS and Mozilla to put in some effort and get their javascript processing faster to match it so Google could write complex webapps.

Chromebooks are being handled pretty well by third parties, there's nothing a Google device would bring.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are the Galaxies the only things with Wacom/nTrig/whatever these days still?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Latest Shield tablet updates just came in for me; just the Android N November security patches, but I have to say, I'm kinda impressed nVidia's still updating a mid-2014 device regularly despite abandoning the tablet market.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 1, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So it's not worth bothering examining ROMs for a Fire, you think? Play Store and LauncherHijack instead?

Will LauncherHijack get reset every time amazon pushes an update?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a recommended tablet for low-cost, low-spec, always-plugged-in, resolution-doesn't-matter, highly configurable tablet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Probably one of the Fire tablets. They're often on woot.com for the 6-7" models for around $20-30.

Configurable is the key, this is for some experimenting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

I love Android, and I'm not a huge fan of iOS. However, Google has commitment issues. They can't make a messenger that competes with iMessage. They make 3, 4, 5+ different apps that all do the same thing, and all end up abandoned.

Google really needs someone at the helm to unify them.

Google had a grand unification push: Google Plus. Being a social network was secondary, its primary goal was to be a Google account hub where you control your profile and accounts and contact circles and messaging and the plan was to have microservices all interlinked and mediated through Plus. The kickback and resentment took Google by surprise and went so badly, with people getting angry about being 'forced' to activate and use Google Plus, they had to walk the strategy back, which took years and they had nothing to replace it., So the push for unification failed and that's why every second Google service has their own instant messaging now and there end up being duplicate functions all over the place and wierd random projects.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 12, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chrome OS locks you even more deeply into the Google system. Android is too open and versatile for their liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fishmech posted:

Chrome OS remains pointless since Google should just put a full version of Chrome on Android instead of maintaining the artificially crippled releases they do now. Chrome OS does nothing that can't be done in Android itself inherently.

Ultimately, I kinda have to wonder why ChromeOS isn't effectively a custom launcher for an Android build that has a few different compile flags flipped and some features turned off. It always seemed strange that they maintained two full operating system stacks.

Then again this is Google, internal synergy is not their forte.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 27, 2018