Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
So is the consensus that the next big flop will be the Asus 7 inch Tegra 3 1200 x 800 Memo Pad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

FunOne posted:

I just ordered the MoKo(TM) Premium Quality Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case for my Transformer Prime. It looks to be more like a smart-case kind of cover and smaller than the one I currently have. It also happens to be in stock which is a nice feature for these cases. I'll update /w a review once it arrives.
I bought the Poetic(TM) Leather Case Cover With Stand from Amazon just $10 shipped, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Pro:
-Nice quality hard leather cover
-Magnets to hold cover shut
-Very sturdy stand
-Big clear cutouts for cameras AND speaker grill
-Soft velvety interior
-Easy to access all ports and buttons

Cons:
-Interior of case is dust magnet
-No way to stand in portrait mode
-Can't charge while case is closed
-Leather cover seems to attract oily finger smudges

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Xoom goons, you have to let us know if you have the same ICS Prime bug, where the thread loads but blank screen shows up unless you scroll or change orientation.

e: Sorry wrong thread, but still relevant. This is in regards to the Awful forums reader app available now in the Android Market.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 20, 2012

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

No, and that's the first I've ever seen anything like that. Did it come like that or did it happen some how? I have read that the back cover is made of pretty soft metal and scratches rather easily.

VVV I'd take it back to the retailer if you can for an exchange ASAP.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 21, 2012

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

So far, I've mostly used my Prime for reading comics and books via the Kindle app/Mort Audio Book player. I noticed that I can get significant battery life improvements by going into eco mode, turning off wifi, the gyro sensor (orientation lock) and even skipping auto screen brightness in favor of the lowest setting. I know this is a pretty obvious thing, but if you haven't done so already, try flipping some of this stuff off when you're not using it and you can get several hours of extra battery life; it's really been quite pleasing to get such extended battery life even with such constant usage.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

koshmar posted:

So I just got my Prime and I'm enjoying it so far. Can anyone who has gotten a Prime case recommend one. Also what games/emulators are you running. I've been working to get Baldurs Gate 2 up and running with Gemrb. I was wondering if there were any market games worth my time.

Frozen-Solid posted:

App questions should go to the app thread.

My case hasn't arrived yet, but I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LSCCPG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details
I bought essentailly the exact same case, but made by Poetic

I bought this case earlier when it was just $10 shipped, but now the price is $10 plus shipping which I still think is still a great price.

Pros:
-Nice quality hard leather cover
-Magnets to hold cover shut
-Very sturdy stand
-Big clear cutouts for cameras AND speaker grill
-Soft velvety interior
-Easy to access all ports and buttons

Cons:
-Interior of case is dust magnet
-No way to stand in portrait mode
-Only available in black
-Can't charge while case is closed

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Gyshall posted:

How is the Nook Color as a rooted tablet? I'm most interested in reading comics/Kindle books, as well as playing some games and so on. I looked at the Kindle Fire but I wasn't happy with the size of the screen.
If you're reading comics, you may want to consider a 10 inch screen even though it'll mean a higher cost (maybe the old Transformer). I've got a Transformer Prime, the comic pages scale down perfectly to it's screen as seen below; however if they got to a 7 inch screen, I think a lot of text would become unreadable, and you'd be forced to scroll around each page.

Lastly, in terms of apps, I'd check out Comic Rack in the Android market. It's great and even supports wireless syncing to your PC.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

E2M2 posted:

How does it compare to Perfect Viewer?
I've never used Perfect Viewer, but from the threads I've read on XDA, Comic Rack looks to one of the favorites, but it may lag a little on page turns for some older slower tablets, but it seems perfect on my Prime, and from the threads, pretty good on the Kindle Fire too.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

I'm not sure how well Google Docs works on the Prime but you should try that out, with a few of your classmates. Last semester in grad school, specifically in my business law class, we all shared one google doc and typed notes in it at the same time. It was a little hectic at first with 5 of us, but we soon found our groove and found it much more efficient than taking notes individually. And a side note, use the same google doc the whole semester, it gets annoying to share and reference multiple docs per class all semester long.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

DarkFact posted:

To chime in, I finally found a Prime at my local best buy and pulled the trigger right away. Where my phone and laptop get a good signal, the Prime's was low and couldn't open streams or youtube videos. This was with ICS and all the latest stuff installed.

They might have fixed most of the issues, but I could see my tablet definitely having some hangups with the wireless reception, even at the maximum performance setting. I'll just wait for the updated Prime or something else to come along - my router is barely a room away, so it wasn't worth holding onto for low media streaming capabilities. Maybe I was just unlucky. :(
Do you have an N band router? When I switched from using my old Lynksis running Tomato to Comcast's combined cable modem and N band router, I noticed significant performance boost on my Prime not to mention all my other wireless devices.

I fear that many of the Prime reported wifi issues may be a combination of over exaggeration and use of old routers. While I'm not denying that there may be an issue, but just that it may also be blown up a little.

VVV Yea that's the same generic case I got too, except mine by Poetic. Minisuit and another 2 or 3 companies have the exact same case. I've had mine for about 2 weeks so far, and it's great except the cover seems to attract finger smudges.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 26, 2012

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

I keep flip flopping between using the stock web browser on my Price w/ ICS and Opera Mobile. I want to use Opera Mobile more, but the fact that it doesn't have a "Request Desktop Site" option like the stock browser keeps me from committing. Are there any other mobile browsers that I should now about?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Holy poo poo, so I finally bought Splashtop HD since it's on sale for $6.99 (reg. $9.99) and it's works amazingly well. It's pretty much like having a Windows 7 tablet. Plus the Windows app makes it so easy to configure, just sign into your Google account and the app finds your PC, no having to worry about IP addresses. Even the video/audio streaming works great!

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm looking for a decent 7" tablet and fully intend to root that fucker, any good advice at where to look and which have a really good root community behind it?
Depends what you're going to use it for. General web browsing, reading and other random light processor apps, the Kindle Fire would be great and has a huge XDA community for rooting. If you're looking for something with some more features and a bit more power, probably on of the two 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tabs.

Also if you can wait (like 6 months), the Q2/Q3 Asus 7 inch Tegra 3 1200X800 tablet for $250 would be awesome.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Ciabatta posted:

This is sad to hear. How bad is the wifi for you, like sitting-next-to-the-router-disconnecting bad?
I guess I'm lucky, but I've had no problems with my Prime, Wifi or otherwise. You may want to consider opening it and checking it out before you return it.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

If you really want to get at the heart of the possible wifi / gps issues on the Prime, check out this thread on XDA (pics included).

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Goons almost make me regret buying a Prime w/ dock. I hope I don't get a faulty one :ohdear:
Relax, the disgruntled consumers are always the loudest. If you check out XDA, there are plenty of happy prime owners.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

First I just want to say thanks to the happy Prime owners that chimed in before the recent drama broke out.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, and on a properly built product you shouldn't even have to do stuff like this, but those of you Prime owners that are having issues, you might want to check this out; a simple possible fix for wifi and gps signal is to simply squeeze the top of your device to better engage the pogo pins to the antenna inside the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgx2Kpfi-Ps&hd=1

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

For the record, I have a B serial number device, and I believe they are up to C now, and I don't have any issues with my Prime.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

I have a chance to buy a hp touchpad for like 130. should I jump on that and root that thing or stick with my plan to get a 7 inch device?
This is whole page of the thread again, I think the answer is clear.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

You should be able to permanently resolve this by soldering those pins in place. Do they disengage when you take the tablet apart? Might need to cut a small access port if you have to solder them while the tablet is assembled, then patch that.
I think they said that they are spring loaded. Adding a thin layer of solder to the ends to make they slightly longer should also do the trick without making any holes. But honestly, I think they've fixed the issues in the second and third batches.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

The Amazon Kindle app supports PDF, and even saves reading position; try testing that out. (Load files into the root Kindle folder to read)

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Acer Iconia Tab A200 Android 4.0 update rolling out now

Welcome to the ICS family!

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

SlayVus posted:

So why does each stylus I've seen all have large points? I've tried to find a fine point stylus, but the few I've seen have a fine pont that require you to attach a circular disc at the end.

Is there a TRUE fine point stylus out there? Like ones used on computer drawing tablets.
From what I understand, most tablets aren't made to detect small points, so you have to use the ones with the clear discs if you want something like that.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

But isn't that showing you haven't actually used it except to take the screenshot?
Yea, but even having wifi on all the time and occasional background processes for a whole day use to drain the battery way more that that.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Rastor posted:

long story short it's a bad time to buy.
It's never a good time to buy these types of electronics. I ended up waiting 3 years before I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to the Samsung Galaxy SII, and like 1 month later they had the Galaxy SII Skyrocket, and they are getting ready for the Galazy SII Skyrocket HD, and after that it'll be the Galaxy III. I waited since the OG Transformer to get my Transformer Prime (which I love), but now they have the 7 inch Prime coming, and an updated Prime, and the iPad 3, and tons of other tablets.

When it comes to buying this poo poo, just get the one you think it most future proof and buy it; and accept that it will be old hat in 6-12 months at best. In my case, I've got a Tegra 3 device with ICS, that should hold me over for quite sometime.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Posted 18 minutes ago on FB by Asus.
I bet it's Asus' TFT700 (second gen Prime) with iPad3'esque resolution screen and updated non-wireless deflecting case. Way to out scoop Apple a week before it supposedly announces it's new tablet Asus :clint:

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

What happened to that Asus 7 inch Tegra 3 1200x800 tablet for $250? Wasn't that suppose to start a more competitive price war?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

"The Verge" posted:

Rubin was also frank about the challenges of bringing developers to a tablet platform that's sold just 12 million units in two years compared to over 50 million iPads — 15 million of which were sold last quarter alone.
I had no idea there was such a large disparity between the number of Android tablets and iPads sold.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

I know someone asked about it before, but I'm too lazy to find the post.

The new Asus Transformer Infinity and 700 series will have keyboard docks, and my personal guess is that they will not be compatible with the older version keyboards from the OG Transformer or the Prime as the sizes are just slightly different (based on this comparison chart). I could be wrong, but I guess I'll be looking for a discounted keyboard dock now that the Prime is discontinued and the docks are only good for the Prime.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

eric posted:

I agree with their thoughts on Windows 8 tablets. Most manufacturers will shift away from Android and move to Windows 8. You'll probably still be able to buy stuff like Craig and Audiovox tablets at CVS that run Android.
Yea, that was very informative. I think the biggest point that they missed is the reason that iOS devices are so smooth is that Apple controls them, so it's much easier to make an app that's going to run well on 2 devices (iPhone and iPad) mean while Android has hundreds of devices with all different kinds of specs, so it's impossible to make something that's going to run perfect on them all, especially when the hardware is lacking on many of them. I think one of the reasons Windows 8 will succeed is they outlined minimal hardware specs for there tablets.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Rastor posted:

Windows 8 on ARM won't have any apps
That's won't take long. I'm pretty sure of one of Microsoft's business principals involves driving dump trucks full of money to people in order to get what they want. They do it for dumb things like Call of Duty DLC exclusivity, and they'll do it to help drive app development too; maybe even give out tablets to developers like Blackberry. And if that doesn't work, they'll just develop it in house, they've got GFWL and XBox to help carry the load too. How long do you think it'll be before they're selling "play a game on XBOX and then continue on the go on your Windows 8 Tablet". I really think MS will do whatever it takes because like they said, they have to do what ever it takes to survive because it's all they've got unlike Google.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Proteus4994 posted:

e: In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but I've never known Microsoft to glom onto one particular model of ANYTHING and say "this is the official Microsoft __________" (unless they made it themselves obviously)
What about the Lumina 800? That is one motherfucking pretty phone! Design and build very much rival Apple in my opinion. (Plus this is another example of Microsoft driving a dump truck of money for exclusivity for the device) because god knows it would have given all the other phones in the market (except maybe not the iPhone) a run for there money. But unfortunately it's a Windows 8 exclusive so no one will use it unless Windows 8 is somehow good.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Just got a transformer prime off craigslist, is there an app or something i need to make streaming videos off websites not terrible? I dont recall having these problems with the hp touchpad.
Yea, use the Chrome browser, it handles videos much better.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Do you reckon it would be good for reading comics on?
I've got a Asus Transformer Prime (10 inch screen) and I think it's the perfect size for comics. Physically it's just smaller than an actual comic, but not enough to make the text hard to read. A 7 inch screen however would be too small, so if reading comics is high on your list, bite the bullet and get a 10 inch.

Deja Vu ...

McLarenF1 posted:

If you're reading comics, you may want to consider a 10 inch screen even though it'll mean a higher cost (maybe the old Transformer). I've got a Transformer Prime, the comic pages scale down perfectly to it's screen as seen below; however if they got to a 7 inch screen, I think a lot of text would become unreadable, and you'd be forced to scroll around each page.

Lastly, in terms of apps, I'd check out Comic Rack in the Android market. It's great and even supports wireless syncing to your PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

I don't like that all new Android tablets are going to 4:3. I get that it's better for webpages, but it really sucks for movies and comics. Are any major manufacturers making next gen in 16:9 still?

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 10, 2015