Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doghouse posted:

Is there actually going to be a usable version of ICS from Cyanogen Mod for the Nook Color any time soon?

I'm running it on my NC. It works great, although the wifi SOD thing is back. There's an XDA thread in the NC Dec section with unofficial night lies. They also have a fixed GApps since there's some problems with the official gapps that are around.

I've been using it for two weeks as a daily driver and find no issues with it. The only bugs are HD videos on Youtube dont work and the SOD thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Craptacular! posted:

People keep saying "it's just $100" but in a $500 device that's 20% and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Buy the features for your needs. A super resolution isn't necessary to check GMail.

I loved my Nook Color running an ICS ROM. It was super usable, and even my non-technical wife found it good to use, and liked it. There were no usability issues, except the sleep of death bug that only happened if you shut if off with wifi on, but even that took about eight to nine hours to kill the battery. I realize that's sort of a :goonsay: thing, but at $150 you could do a lot worse.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I did sell both of my Nook Colors, but that wasn't because I didn't like them. My wife has an iPhone, so I figured I'd get her an iPad2 to compliment that, so she didn't have to buy apps twice. And I only used my Nook to watch TV and movies on the train to work, times when I should be doing other things, so I got rid of it to remove the distraction.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doghouse posted:

ICS is working for the Nook Color? :psyduck: Can you point me to this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1444943
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1526115

Edit: :arghfist::mad:

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 12, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Splizwarf posted:

My Nook Tablet was $250 and I've been shocked at how it's been rock loving solid without lag, bugs, stutter, and so on. I keep throwing it bigger and bigger jobs (tower defense games, streaming hi-res video, and the worst Android fucker I could think of: PYF Gif threads) and it gives no fucks; I assume this is because it's got enough RAM finally. I think that not enough RAM is the major failure point of Android. My phone already looked bad before I got the Nook but now, jesus, I hate it.

Is there a working ICS ROM for the Nook Tablet?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vagrancy posted:

A couple of days ago Digitimes was saying it might be released in May: http://androidandme.com/2012/03/tablets-2/digitimes-echos-our-nexus-tablet-by-asus-rumor-could-launch-as-early-as-may/

Then again, Digitimes. The 7' Transformer completely disappearing off the map at MWC is suspicious though, so maybe they're on to something.

Is any gadget news actually news now, or is it just "a source told us" and the source is another blog that is quoting another blog?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I picked up an HTC Flyer for $200 used from Amazon. I really like it, I used it for a couple of work meetings. I really like the note taking feature. I put a screen protector on it, and the additional friction of the protector makes the pen work better.

I really like it, and with a cool black book like case, its replaced my Moleskinne. I'm curious to see how well the Evernote integration works, I guess you can search with in handwritten notes for text somehow. I can't figure out how though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Crackbone posted:

The HTC Flyer was also horribly reviewed by people in this thread - even after a price drop to $200 the consensus was it wasn't worth it.

I got one at $200, I think it's worth it at that price point. I do a lot of annoting of PDFs and it works really well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

revolther posted:

Seems like just a screen cap of nothing but a (manufacturer modified?) ICS home screen with 6 shortcuts, 1024x600 resolution. Interesting that the "Is it a phone? Is it a tablet?" device received the "phone" version of ICS.

Did it? It doesn't have the application dock at the bottom.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just got a TF300, and it's ok. Coming from a 7" tablet, the Transformer is huge. I'm not sure if like something that big. The problem is that it's widescreen, so if you aren't watching videos on it, and are instead reading, there's no comfortable way to hold it.

My biggest gripe with it is that if it's downloading something, or maybe it's when it's writing to the SD card, the OS becomes so sluggish it's basically unusable. When I first logged in and it downloaded the 100 apps I had on my old tablet, it took a couple hours before I could use it. I ended up just canceling the download, rebooting, and then it worked perfectly. When I tried to download a 100mb file from a website, though, it did the same thine. I'm not sure if I like it. I may return it and try a 8.9" Galaxy or XYBOARD.

However, I do like the basically unskinned buttery smooth Android 4.0.4 experience.

I also ordered the knock off Apple smart cover. It's designed for the Tf201, but the dimensions are basically the same on the TF300, and the connectors are the same, so it should fit. I'll come back with a trip report and I'll have some comical accounts of my friends making fun of my fake iPad.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super Dude posted:

I think something might be wrong with yours. Mine downloaded around 150 apps when I turned it on, and I was browsing the internet and watching a movie while it was doing this with no hiccups.

Just curious what could possibly be wrong with it to make this happen? Like something defective with the processor? But honestly, though, I may just return it. I'm not sure if I want to deal with ASUS support.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

illicitporpoises posted:

lovely flash memory? How long does it take you to copy a large file to the internal memory?

That makes sense. All the items were downloading to my external SD card. Maybe that's the bottle neck. The SD card worked well in my other devices (SGS2, Nook Color, and Flyer), though.

Although, I may honestly just return it for the Galaxy note 10.1. I'm hoping they announce that at the Samsung Conference.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there a reason you're putting applications on the SD card instead of the internal memory? Wouldn't you use the SD space for more transient things like pictures and videos and the internal space for more permanent things?

During this time I was using aTorrent to download a couple four gig torrents. They were writing to the SD card at the time. I took the SD card out, and it looks like it's running better now. I did get a weird screen artifact on the side of the screen, but that went away after a reboot.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

El Duke posted:

why would you do any of this?

Because I just enjoy the feeling I get from writing ones and zeros to digital media.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

I don't think it's fair to say Google doesn't care, there's only so much they can dictate before more manufacturers will go the route of Amazon and drop the Google software from their devices.

But the advice is still sound, don't buy a device unless there's at least a leaked build of Ice Cream Sandwich for it.
If you keep reading the thread you'll see he was streaming 4 torrents to the SD card slot. We advised him not to do that.
I'm going to return it regardless. The screen acted up again so I'm just going to get rid of it. Its just too big and oddly shaped. I walk a couple miles to and from the train each day and unlike my seven inch tablet it doesn't fit in my jacket pocket and its uncomfortable to have to carry. I'm also going to return my flyer. I liked it but i figure ill return it now while I'm still in the return period and I'm just going to wait until either the 10.1 note comes out or get a newer seven inch and then buy and return those later. I fully intend to experiment with Amazons very lax return policy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm really bad at using my new electronics, so I'm just now getting around to using my HTC Evo View 4g tablet thing from Sprint.

I'm more familiar with accessories in video game consoles, and I know that there's screen protectors that are crap and screen protectors that are not. So I'm kind of assuming this might go for table accessories as well.

I'm in the market for some type of case, stand, and screen protector.

I've been browsing through Amazon for a while, but it seems that everything I'm finding only has a handful of reviews so those two or so 2 and 1 star reviews really stick out, even though there are also reviews praising the products.

So if anyone out there has this or a similar tablet, what did you end up going with? Hopefully I can order it from Amazon since I have gift cards.

EDIT: Apparently I already have a stand and it looks fine.
I have a really nice case made by Yoobao for my flyer, which is the same as the view. I'll post a link later but basically it looks just like a Moleskine notebook. I attached my own elastic band to hold it closed. It looks pretty nice. I'm returning my flyer so if you want the case let me know. I'll sell it to you for cheap.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Porkchop Express posted:

I have had the original iPad since they first came out, but lately it has just been getting to big to use for reading. I like it but something smaller was in order. At first I was going to get the Kindle Fire, but I just didn't like the modified version of Android on it, so I ended up buying a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and I am really liking it so far. Its just the right size to hold for reading.

I returned my TF300 and picked up one of those too (Galaxy Tab 2 7.0). The form factor is just right. However, I really want either the Note 10.1 or the Google tablet, so I fully intent on returning this one to Best Buy with in the 30 day period, and either getting one of those, or hopefully the were will be solid news on them. However, I just found out that Telltale games has their games out for the iPad, so I'm seriously considering getting one for the Sam and Max series.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SeaWolf posted:

Case/sleeve talk

Are there any slim cases for the tf-2/300? I know about the origami sleeve, but the reviews for it are absolutely scathing. Every other case I've seen triples or quadruples the thickness, or if it is on the thinner side it has a huge footprint when you angle it... by that i mean the case sits far in front of the tablet like you'd see with the keyboard dock... but there's no keyboard, it's just there for overkill stability.

As far as I can tell they all suck. And the moko case I did get is already falling apart because it's cheap synthetic poo poo.

I notice a huge comfort difference without the fatass case, and protection means crap, I've already got little dings on it despite keeping it in the case all the time until this past weekend.

I got an origami case for my TF300. I know the case was actually for the TF201, but I looked around for a while and found some reviews saying it would fit fine. The case was interesting, however it didn't really fit, and also didn't have magnets to hold it closed, so it was sort of useless. I returned the case.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ClubmanGT posted:

That's the point. Samsung does stupid poo poo, so expecting them to do something that makes sense is retarded.

I had a Galaxy Note, loved it, but needed some money so I returned it. I also had a Flyer, Iiked that too but the screen wasn't big enough to be a decent digital notebook. If the Note 10.1 is just a bigger clone of the Note phone with the flip cover I'll be buying it. I really want a tablet with an active pen. I'm thinking though I may have to wait until either Windows 8 or some kind of breakthrough in digitizer tech to make it a reality.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

More importantly: has Jerk McJerkface returned the TF300 yet?

Absolutely. I now have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 that I'm playing around with. I like the seven inch screen. It fits nicely in the pocket of my jacket or pants. I have a mile and a half walk each day to the train that I take to work, and I wear a suit two or three days a week so having my tablet fit in my pocket so I don't have to carry a bag is nice. I'm returning that this weekend though. I'm going to wait for the Galaxy Note 10.1 next. Since, you know, it has a stylus.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

a shameful boehner posted:

This is a ways back, but what smart cover is this that you're talking about? I want one for my 300.

Posting from my phone at the moment so I can't dig up a link but look at amazon for tf201 origami case. The best price I found was from the B and H website. It didn't fit the tf300 well enough to use all the time. However if it fits the tf201 perfectly then Id say its a good enough case to use. Especially if you keep the tablet in a cheap nylon sleeve or something.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Honestly, though, I've found that I have really have no use for a tablet as a media consumption device. I have to carry a laptop for work everywhere I go anyways, and I've found that gaming on a phone or tablet (on my iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets) causes my CTS to get extremely painful. The only thing I really use them for is watching videos or reading. I have an hour long train ride every morning, so it's nice to have something to entertain myself with, I'd rather spend the time being productive, which I really can't do with either kind of tablet.

The only use I could find for a tablet is drawing up plans for networks or phone system typologies. I'm a network and sales engineer for a telecommunications firm, so I spend a lot of time in meetings with my client's IT personnel, and I'd like to be able to have a device hooked up to their projector during a sales meeting, pull up some Visio diagrams, modify and annotate them while collaborating with their staff. The commission I make for these jobs is definitely enough to warrant investing a decent amount of money into a solution. I had a Thinkpad X61T for a while that was useful but after five years of field work, it was so dilapidated that I couldn't take it on sales calls.

At this point, I've been waiting for Windows 8 hardware to start emerging so I can make a decision. Basically I want something like the Asus Transformer, with a keyboard dock, a desktop dock for multiple monitor support, running Windows, with an active stylus. I figure that Asus or Lenovo is going to release something like that once Win8 drops, so in the meantime I'm just messing around trying different brands and form factors.

golgo13sf posted:

I hope you get banned for life from every electronics retailer on the planet.

Tell me more about how you are concerned that my returning three tablets is hurting Amazon and Best Buy, and then how in turn that is causing you sorrow.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 25, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-google-tablet-confirmed-at-t-padfone-pad-infinity-tf700-93742/

Looks like ASUS confirmed that they are working on the Google Nexus tablet. They didn't say a price but they did say it will release around the end of this month.

They also said it "would be awesome".

I'm guessing it'll launch right after Google I/O 2012.

I'm guessing they will hand them out to I/O attendees. Given the thousand dollar event ticket I figure Google will give out something sweet.
It'll probably be available via the Google store too. I just wish Samsung would come out and give some solid info on the Note 10.1. I'm really interested on that. But if the nexus 7 is really two hundred bucks then its not unreasonable for me to buy it anyways and wait a month for the Note. I'll just set up the Nexus as a HTPC remote and leave it in my living room. At that price its still a ton cheaper that any other RF universal remote out there.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

clockworx posted:

I wonder how inflated those numbers are by the people who are serially buying and returning every new device release "just to try it out".

I really wonder how they got that data. The linked article says its via a survey, but I'd really like to know the sampling numbers, because I really have a very hard time believing that as many people have a Touchpad as have the new iPad, and that there's as many Kindle Fire's out there as there are iPad2's.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kynetx posted:

...and no mention of Motorola or Asus.
Furthermore, I don't think I've ever seen a non-Apple tablet in the wild.

I live in NJ and work in NYC. I take public transportation for an hour each way, and transfer trains. I also right a lot of other public transportation (subways, buses, metro trains) to and from clients, so I see a decent cross section of people, in an environment where a tablet is really handy. I sort of make it a point to look around and see who has what tablets and make a mental note.

I see about a 50/50 split between iPads and Kindles. I've seen only a handful of Kindle Fires. I see Nook Colors occasionally too, and oddly enough they are usually running CM7. I'd guess that I've seen about twenty or thirty of them. I've seen only three Xooms since it was launched, and I've never seen either an Asus or a Samsung tablet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Merkinman posted:

I live/work in NYC and see quite a few 7" tablets (not counting basic black and white e-reader), maybe slightly more than I see iPads. I can't tell what 7" tablets they are since they're usually in a case, could be Kindle Fire, Nook Color, Galaxy Tab, etc. Maybe because on a crowded train standing up the 7" is easier to hold?

That's very odd. I see an overwhelmingly larger number of iPads. I'm going to start keeping track and writing it down.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just pre-ordered it as a stop-gap to use a reader/media player until Surface 9 Pro comes out. At $200 bucks, it's an easy choice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Joe Don Baker posted:

What's Google's return policy?

15 days. Perfect.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I pre-ordered it as well.

Shipping Status Quantity Item Price
Not Shipped 1 Nexus 7 Cover (Dark Grey) $19.99
1 Nexus 7 (8GB) $199.00
Shipping: $13.99
Tax(NJ): $16.31
Total: $249.29

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 29, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks for being my guinea pigs guys, gonna wait for your reviews :D

At $200 it's the perfect stopgap until I invest some :10bux: x 100 into professional Windows 8 tablet to replace my laptop and desktop.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I was interested in Galaxy Note 10.1, but seen as that is never going to come out, and will likely cost $500 dollars, the 7 is the better, and more available choice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kitten smoothie posted:

Having set up a Nexus Q and used it a while at home yesterday, there is no way I would pay $300 for one. The thing is very cool for what it does; it just doesn't really do a whole lot at all. I wouldn't pay more than $50-$75 for the functionality it offers right now, and even then that's a stretch given what a Roku or something can do at that point.

The Nexus Q is such a :psyduck: device. You could get 95% of the same fuctionality by having a MHDMI connector sitting by your TV and just plug it into your friends phones. I'm just thinking that it's maybe a platform and they have some plans for it.

I was thinking it could maybe be a gaming hub, and you pair your tablet/phone to it and it allows you to play multi-player games on the big screen or something. But like all things at Google it's released as a Beta, and they spend six months before they either kill, forget about it, or make it a tent pole.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sphyre posted:

Can you import your own epub books into the stock google ebook reader? I'm almost entirely unsure how i'd go about reading a book without fancy page turn animations:

Historically, Google Books can only open Google Books books. For some reason they keep that closed up. It's nonsense.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Are you sure it's not just a hold on your account? I've had it in the "Pending Charges" of my Amex account since a minute or two after I ordered.

Same thing for mine. It's probably just a temporary hold.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hmm, interesting. I'm going to be out of two for two weeks starting that Saturday. I wonder if I should just cancel my pre-order and pick it up in stores when it drops on the 27th. I won't be home until the 30th, and I don't want it to sit outside my house for a week.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Have it delivered to your work.

I guess that works. I'll probably just have it shipped to where I'll be on vacation. I'll be staying with family.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I called Google, and asked to change the address of my order. They said they can't, but if I cancel I can reorder and change my shipping address, however, they don't have any of the cases in stock. I won't be able to reorder it, so I'll just have it sent to my house and I'll ask someone to switch by my house and grab it for me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I use Aldiko Reader. Also, EZPdf is a good for those as well.

I just got off the phone with the Google Play customer service. I decided to cancel my order and just buy it in stores on my vacation. When I called Friday the guy said they could cancel my order no problem, just call back in and request it whenever. I called just now, and the guy said that it's too late now and the system is not letting him cancel my order. The only way to cancel would be to call UPS and reject the package and have it returned. I asked him if that meant it was shipping soon, and he said he has no idea, but they could only say "it will ship sometime mid-July and that it should arrive by the end of July." However, his system responding the way it did indicates that maybe they are already shipping. Exciting!

I'd hate work at the Nexus call center. They must be swamped with sperg lords calling in with questions on the GNex ban, and people asking them when the 7 will ship.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

They ship no earlier than the 13th.

Your source being that Staples product page?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

Are any retailers selling the 8gb Nexus 7 model or do I have to go through Google for that one?

I ordered a Nexus 7 8GB model, but I immediately regret not getting the 16GB version. I can't cancel the order, though. Google will only allow me to get it and return it, but I'll have to pay return shipping. I'm going to see how much that will cost me, but really if there's a goon that for some reason missed the pre-order (if they stop preorders or there's an 8GB model shortage, I'll pass it along for what I paid for it, and just spend the money shipping it to a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Heners_UK posted:

Really, return shipping by USPS will be a few bucks. Order a 16GB now and take the hit.

BTW, you might want to mention your proposal in SA Mart?

EDIT: And let me be clear: ORDER THE 16GB MODEL FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

The problem is sort of more complex, I'm going away for two weeks starting next weekend. I have to reject the package and have UPS return it, however, to do so, I must be here when it arrives. I won't be there, so the package will be sitting on my door step for possible two weeks.

I called Google and they were helpful, but not sure what to do. I'll call again tomorrow and see what I can do.