Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Syrinxx posted:

I'm eyeballing the TF300 for a comic book reader because my iPad 1 is just too heavy. Is it still considered the best of the bunch for 10.1" tablets under $500? Does anyone know if Jellybean will come somewhat quickly to it?

Asus has been typically the best company to provide OS updates. And they've had the JB source code for longest, since they are partnered on the Nexus.

That said, the right answer is no one knows, but don't expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Freezer posted:

Could I ask your reasoning behind regretting it? Because right now I'm trying to make the same decision, and the way I see it I'm gonna fill the tablet up with random poo poo no matter the capacity, so might as well save 40 pounds.

Well, shipping is like $20. If I bought it instore, then that'd mean the 16Gb would only be 30 more dollars. Also, they only have the dark grey case, but I saw ASUS posted a bunch more colors on twitter, and I'd rather have one of them as well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Fister posted:

Which store has the best return policy for tablets (longest return time, no restock fee)? I think i'll pick a nexus 7 up at a B&M place rather than google play.

Best Buy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BoyBlunder posted:

+1

On top of that, Google is no longer cancelling Play orders for the Nexus 7. The only way to cancel an order is refuse the UPS delivery. If you're not around, and they drop off the package, you'll need to drop it off at a UPS center to return to sender.

Very frustrating.

I called them since I'm going to be away for several days and I don't want the package to sit on my doorstep. They said they can file a UPS intercept and UPS will just return the package to them instead of shipping it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Geno posted:

Can we complain about paying $13 for shipping because we didn't know it would be sold in B&M stores (presumably) near the same time it's launched?

Ha. Well, when spending $200, if $13 breaks the bank maybe you shouldn't be spending the $200.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

IT Guy posted:

So who else furiously clicked through the cart and didn't notice:

Apparently they open the box and connect your account for you which delays shipping on your device.

Anyone know how they're going to attach my account when I have two-factor auth?

You didn't actually think they did that, did you? Like they powered it on, put your username and password in, authenticated it, and then packed it back up...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Staples all over the place have them in stock. I went to one last night and just bought it. Just check their website for stores stock. It helps that no one shops at staples.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eric posted:

This flagship device was slapped together in 4 months what do you expect?

Mine is fine. Sorry.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eric posted:

Are you already bored with it and planning to sell it?

Actually:

1) I cancelled my first preorder for an 8GB
2) I made a second order for a 16GB
3) I happened upon on in a Staples last night and bought it
4) I'm selling my pre-order to a guy I work with

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eric posted:

Is it currently fitting YOUR needs?

My knees are suited.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BoyBlunder posted:

Anyone else feel that the Nexus 7 case from the Play Store seems...lack luster? I'm also having a hard time hitting the power/vol buttons on the side as they're covered by the rubber, but this could be my bitch fingers.

No one else has one.

How does it latch closed and are there magnets involved at all?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Serial number sticker on the device is required for warranty through asus.

Mine came off immediately... oh boy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Nexus7 showed up.
Screen is beautiful.

Unlocked, rooted, DPI160'd; loving it.

What does the DPI change accomplish ? Does it make the tablet use the regular ten inch layout?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Why would you push the buttons to one side? That's awful.

That's the way every other Android tablet (with 3.0+) has rendered the home screen. For some reason the Nexus 7 didn't do that, instead uses the phone interface. I really don't like it, I'd prefer the traditional tablet interface. I'm going to try the posted hack and see if I like it, if there's a problem I can always reflash the stock image, no big deal.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Its not even a flash, its changing 3 numbers in a text file, albeit in /system/ so you need root.

Have you noticed any market incompatibilities? Thats always been an issue when changing DPI.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gravitom posted:

OK Cupid doesn't work. It also took them a few weeks to get working on the Galaxy Nexus. Those guys are slackers.

I meant after you modify the DPI settings.

I figured I'd try it, and it works pretty well. The only problem is that the font is a little small, but I set it to large in the display settings. The buttons are a little small, but I really like the tablet interface better. Especially the notification shade, it's so much better, and the quick settings are nice. I'll see if there's any market incompatibilities, but I haven't ran into any yet.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 18, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

UPS guy showed up to delivery it while there's 3 men in my front yard in bee suits killing bees that have taken up residence in one of my walls. Glad he made the effort to delivery. :v:

After 30 minutes I'm still shocked at the performance of JB when compared to ICS. Almost at iOS levels of smoothness. So close. The official case leaves much to be desired. It's a rubber sleeve of sorts and it does fit very well. Everything lines up with the ports but the button covers are awful. Like really bad. Skip the official case and get something good.

I wish I could find a case I liked. I just want a simple tpu case with a front flap that has a magnet to close it and a smart cover magnet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pliar posted:

How is reading/manipulating pdf's on the Nexus 7? I'm looking to get a tablet to condense all the academic articles my job is accumulating. My friend's iPad (v.1) seemed quite good with it but I have minor apprehensions due to the Nexus 7 screen size.

If they are full page layout text it's a little cumbersome, but if they are two column pages, and you use ezPDF it has a nice text flow setting when you can just tap the screen and it moves forward in the text. I've used a variety of Android tablets at all different sizes to read PDFs (including a few 7" models) and they always worked fine. I've had the Nexus for a few days, and it's also fine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Paiz posted:

Oh god I think I did something wrong with my Nexus 7.

I had it in my back pocket and sat down on it when getting into my car. When I pulled it out it was displaying a screen with the green android guy laying on his back with his stomach open and there was a start button. Being an idiot I hit the start button and now my device has been sitting at a screen that just says Google for the last minutes.

What did I do to my tablet?!

You appearantly butt-booted into fastboot. You can't brick it out from fastboot, though, unless you flashed a custom recovery and somehow your butt managed to boot into CWM, format /system and then reboot into fastboot.

I'm guessing you damaged the SD card or something, since I can't think of a scenario with a stock unit where you could wipe it like that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I purchased an XOSkin for my Nexus 7. I googled a bit and found a 40% coupon, so it was only ten dollars. I intend on not using a case, and just using a screen protector. The vendor has a lifetime warranty, so if it's dinged you can just get a new one). I did that with my other tablets, and it works pretty well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I wish there were better cases for Nexus7. I can't find anything that I like.

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Portfo...ic+case+nexus+7

This one looks interesting, but it's not available yet. I'd really like a front only case, since the back of the device is a nice texture. Maybe the Apple Smart Cover patent with magnetic attachment is too much of a risk for someone to make a simliar case.

I think, though, and interesting idea for a case would just be a rubberized metal rectangle frame that fits around the tablet that has no back, with a face cover attached to one edge. I could even have a magnet on the edge to secure it closed, but not to the tablet but to the opposite case edge. I've seen some iPhone cases that are hard metal that you have to assemble around the phone's body with hex screws, something like that, but mainly as a means to attach a face cover to the device. Maybe I can email that Goon that makes iPhone/iPad cases with my idea.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
You also use air droid. It syncs with your phone to text from your desktop. Dunno about tablets though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

teethgrinder posted:

Depends more on your phone (and carrier to a certain extent) than anything else. I just share my connection on my Galaxy II and connect to it with the N7 with Bluetooth, though I could use the phone as a wifi hotspot too. No special apps required.

For some reason the Google play store doesn't think its online when I tether my 7 on Bluetooth.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ender.uNF posted:

* Don't you dare fail to input a Google account during setup or you will be pestered constantly and in many different locations to sign in. They should just require it.

Can you use an iPad with out an Apple ID?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Dave posted:

I just got this case that was linked to a couple of pages back because it was on sale:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D2POAS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Love it so far, exactly what I wanted. Not too thick but makes me feel like the N7 is very well protected. Hoping the little tabs that hold it in stay strong.

I have that case, I also bought this one, but haven't received it yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120960553797&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160#ht_3198wt_1397

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I don't see the benefits of going with CM10 or custom ROMS, especially on a current gen ASUS tablet. Their flavor of Android is 99% stock, and you can turn off most of the options. When I had a TF300 I didn't see any benefit in going through the hassle of flashing and going down the custom ROM route.

I've left my GSM Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 on full barebones stock as an experiment, and I haven't had any issues where I wished I hadn't let them alone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's always possible you'll get a kid who doesn't give a poo poo about his job (actually it's likely at Best Buy) but they're supposed to have stuff like tablets, digital cameras, laptops, etc. taken to the service guys for inspection before processing the return.

This. You have nothing to lose. I've returned all sorts of things that really weren't returnable buy walking right up to the return desk, honestly stating what I did, and then returning it. It really helps if you can make some kind of awful pun about how your tablet screen is now "broken due to an unfortunate gravity related interaction." If you aren't a passive agressive dick you can accomplish all sorts of things.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zarkov Cortez posted:

As long as you don't misrepresent it and get charged with Fraud.

I'm not saying to lie. I'm saying to go right up to the clerk, tell him exactly what happened, and ask for a return or exchange. Worst case is he says no, and you are out the ten minute it takes to go down to the store and ask. If the guy says no, then you can always ask for a manager, and see if he helps. You can do this nicely, and not have to lie at all.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If the Surface runs a Tegra3 then Android should run pretty easily on it. I think a more likely scenario is someone gets Windows 8 to run on an Android tablet, due to the fact that all Windows 8 RT devices are supposed to have locked bootloaders, right?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thedangergroove posted:

After enjoying my 16gb Nexus 7 for just over a month, the screen was cracked when it was dropped with its case open. As small and hardly noticeable as the crack is, the touchscreen has stopped working. I keep pawing at the little unlock icon saying wake up little guy, please please, oh god no.

Is my best option to just see who will take it as-is on ebay? Any better options?

What did you buy it with? Most credit cards offer purchase protection for 90 days.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

clockworx posted:

This sounds incredibly idiotic, yet completely believable.

I've ran into quite a few hotels with RADIUS authentication pages for their WiFi that were flash based, and I couldn't get my phone online.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kri kri posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but what is a good nexus 7 case that I can use as a kickstand?

I actually have that case. I just sold my nexus 7 to get a Surface so the case is just sitting around. I'll mail it to you for a few bucks for shipping if you want it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If he doesn't, I would happily pay S&H for it.

No response from him, so just point some paypal dollars at ericcorp AT gmail DOT com

what do they go for like $15 on amazon? How about seven dollars, to cover the envelope, shipping, and then the Mountain Dew worth of energy I'll expend to get it packed and shipped?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If any goons have a Nexus 7 and want a nice case, I purchased this one (among many) for my Nexus.

I sold my Nexus, but I still have this case if anyone wants it. I liked it a lot. I'll let it go for just shipping. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm interested! How much are you asking for shipping?

five bucks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

Yeah...dare I ask what is Going on with All This?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465751&userid=42391

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't really believe those specs myself but I'm not in the market for a 10+" tablet anyway so I wouldn't care if it was somehow the quality of an IMAX screen in a 10".

As for Samsung, I think it's mostly in the US that Samsung hasn't done nearly as well in tabletspace as they have in phone. Not sure.

Honestly, the same happened with me. I forgot HTC ever did tablets so I'm not sure how much of a loss this is as I haven't seen them being sold for about 6 months now.

The Flyer was a decent little tablet, but the lack of including a stylus and the ridiculous price, I think it was around $600, with the stylus being $70 made it ridiculous. I picked one up for $200 (with the stylus) and it was alright. The stylus was more of a gimmick and it didn't have enough pen resolution to make it useful. My one year old loved it, though, I have an Evernote skitch notebook full of him scribbling.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I was holding out for the Surface, but after the lackluster reviews, I'm likely going to instead wait for the Oct 29th Google announcement, and see if they put out a 4G Nexus, or that 10.1 Samsung Nexus Tablet.

I really just want an Android tablet with a cover like the Smart Cover. That's all i want.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

IT Guy posted:

Whatever you do, do not get a treegloo case. I ordered mine in August and still haven't seen it. They're pretty much lying to me through emails at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-4uMQqerA&t=570s

Wait. Look at that case. Is that a smart cover for the Nexus 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I saw that, it's easily my favorite part of the tablet. I love the smart cover, and the surface type cover. Finally having an android alternative is fantastic. I just want to know if it has a magnet to keep it closed or open. (which the Type Cover does not have).