Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What's currently the best ~8" 16:10 tablet with an AMOLED display? Is there one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My son started Kindergarten this year, and they require them to do some homework on a tablet app. What a crazy world we live in. I figure this is the best option for me too, right? The two apps required have Google Play versions, I can just side load the play services on it, seems pretty easy. I'm completely comfortable with ADB and all that, so I'm not turned off by that. I see that running CM12 requires some nonsense with fast booting manually each time it resets. I'm not dealing with that noise, but if I can get Google Play on it, and have it work, I'm game with that.

Is this public school? I've never heard of giving kindergarteners homework. My daughter also started kindergarten this year, and though the children were given access to IXL to practice math, it's completely optional.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

wormil posted:

My daughter is older but has never brought a book home from school, they don't use them, everything is online.

Do they all have tablets in the classroom, or is she just not old enough to be at the point of needing multiple textbooks for various classes? It seems like it would be more difficult to learn with a digital book but maybe they've just completely overhauled the teaching method.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I'm completely satisfied with my Fire Hd 8 and I always pick it up before my 2013 N7.

There are just a couple apps that I wanted to use that weren't on the Amazon appstore, so I installed the Google Play Store on it and got those. (this is very easy to do, just install a few APKs)

I installed my TTRSS reader app, Chrome, and Moon+ via the Play Store.

It's an OK tablet made amazingly great by the price.

Are you able to install Google apps like Hangouts and Play Books once the Play Store is installed?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Three Olives posted:

AT&T just pushed Marshmallow to my Galaxy Tab S 8.4.

I suppose better late than never but :psyduck:

Yet here sits my Tab Pro 8.4 still on 4.4.2 :mad:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm looking for an inexpensive tablet around the size of an iPad mini to read comics on. Being OTG compatible is a plus but not necessary. Any recommendations?

Fire HD 8

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does anybody have a Fire HD 10 that can comment on the quality? It has a number of scathing reviews on Amazon, but a number of glowing reviews too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I bought a Fire HD 10 and sideloaded the Play Store. Does anybody know how to add a second Google account to it?

edit: never mind, I managed to do it through the Youtube app.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 27, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Agreed about the router. I had a Linksys WRT160N for several years and didn't realize why things like my Fire TV Stick kept stopping in the middle of shows. Then I found a great deal on a TP-Link AC1900 and I haven't had a single wifi issue since.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Virtue posted:

Don't they have the same internals?

There was a new 8" model in 2016 that improved the internals. If the 2015 8" is anything like the 10" Fire, it's gonna run like dogshit.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

MisterPlastic posted:

If I want a tablet for no other reason then to read PDF files, which tablet will I be buying this fine evening.

You can snag a used Fire HD 10 on ebay for around $100. It's pretty underpowered but it should handle PDFs just fine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

How much is the Tab S3 in the US? Because I think it's about €800 here. :lol:

$600 in the US.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Google Play is easily sideloaded via a few APK files. Custom Launchers are kind of a no-go though, as the Home button automatically takes you to the Fire homescreen. There are apps that can launch the replacement, but there's still a lag. If you are able to root the device, then it's possible to completely replace the launcher.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Alder posted:

In related news, I checked out some Fire tablets in-person and I'm considering the 8" one as my replacement once I save up funds and root it to remove dumb apps.

The new Fire HD 8 comes out in a week, but there's a good chance it won't be rootable for a while, if ever.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I'm pretty sure you have to install the Prime Video app through the Amazon Appstore.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

That's odd. Do other apps show the Install button at the top? I searched for Prime Video on my Pixel XL and the install button shows up. The Nexus 7 has Marshmallow and there's no way PV requires Nougat so I don't know what the issue could be.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Outside of Google Play Books, Moon+ Reader is the generally accepted ebook reader that everyone likes.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

drat, I might have to upgrade to that. It's tough to find a decent 10-inch tablet that's affordable, but the first generation Fire HD 10 is so incredibly slow.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What are the high-end Chromebooks used for versus the cheaper models?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

FYI to anyone that bought that Fire HD 10 and is trying to install the Play Store; there is either a bug or intentional fuckery that greys out the Install button when you try to install side-loaded apps, but if you hit the task switcher button then jump back to the installer, it'll no longer be greyed out.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Is it an issue with a screen overlay? Like the FireOS built-in night-time screen shader thing?

Not sure. It only happens on the latest version of FireOS. I have to assume it's a bug, because otherwise they'd have just disabled sideloading altogether.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is there a 100% safe way to get YouTube on a 2017 Fire? I'm wary of inputting my password into an unofficial app from the Amazon market because it also accesses my gmail account. I'm also worried about trojaned Google services from the web since it seems like a lot of these APKs for installing Google crap on your Amazon device are hosted on random servers.

You're supposed to get all the Google frameworks off of APKMirror.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If you're going to a different ecosystem, you'd might as well get a cheap Fire tablet since you'd at least have 85% of the same ecosystem as your phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Just got a kindle fire 10", cheap cheap. It's pretty good out of the box; I don't think rooting to install stock Android would really be worth it and I would lose my Amazon content access anyway. Is it recommended to install the Play Store, though? Also is there anything I really need to sideload? All I have so far is Blokada.

Yes, sideload the play store and the services it requires, because it's simple and gives you access to the rest of the Google suite as well.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

arisu posted:

I wouldn't use my main google account since that's tied to like, everything.

I already have a second google account anyway for this kind of stuff.

I don't have any google movies or books or anything like that anyway.

Amazon I'm ok with since that's locked behind 2 factor auth, and I certainly wouldn't buy anything on the tablet.

Tablet would mostly be just for prime video, netflix, youtube, and maybe some movies I toss on the SD card. I guess I have some vudu movies too, I wouldn't mind adding that.

In that case you'd might as well just pick up an Amazon Fire HD 10 next time they go on sale for $100. They aren't super powerful but they work fine for media consumption and it's simple to get Youtube working on it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

jokes posted:

I think Amazon's HD designation is a little disingenuous considering the resolution is like 720p or whatever on the HD8.

720p has always been an HD resolution.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just got an Android Tablet, but it doesn't come with any default apps for drawing or writing text files, so are there any recommended apps for that (preferably free, as long as they don't come with mal/spyware)?

I can't speak to drawing, as I would imagine trying to draw on a tablet that's not designed for it would be a painful experience, but for text files, the Google Drive app has Docs/Sheets/Slides built-in, so you probably already have all the Google counterparts to the MS Office sweet installed.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Fair enough about the drawing, the tablet probably isn't designed for it judging by the round-tipped pen which came with it (and I was unaware that was a thing).

Does the Google Drive app have local saving capability, or it is only to the cloud? I'm likely to be using it in places where there is either no wifi around, or with various local passwords I'm not going to be bothered to learn, so I need to be able to save to the tablet itself.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375012?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

You can create new files offline, and you can set existing files to be available offline as long as you do so while you have internet access.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

My daughter has a Fire HD 10 (2018? Whatever the previous generation was) and it's just gotten so godawful slow. I'm considering upgrading to something with some more power. Is there a sweet spot in the 10 inch screen market where it won't lag really bad, but preferably under $250? I have no problem buying used off Swappa; I just don't know what's good and what's not.

edit: how's the 2019 Samsung Tab A?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

FunOne posted:

Bought a 2019 Tab A for kiddo. Its not exactly super fast, but workable for Angry Birds, Monument Valley, Disney+, etc.

EDIT: The amount of RAM varies with the size of storage you buy, so make an informed purchase. I went low since I knew kiddo wasn't going to be on the web.

I ended up snagging a used 128gb model on ebay for $180. I'm hoping the 3gb of ram will be helpful, but if it ends up being no better than the Fire HD 10, I'll just sell it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The Amazon Fire HD 10 goes on sale for ~$110 a few times a year, but probably won't again until Prime Day in late July or August. Still, even at $150, it's probably the best bang for your buck. It's not an overall great tablet, but it's a pretty good media machine with pretty good speakers and an SD card slot.

If you don't care about screen size and resolution, the Fire 7 is only $40.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Fire 7" and Fire HD 10" are released every two years. Don't expect one this year.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I recently got a Galaxy Tab A7 (2020) 10.4", 3Gb RAM and 64Gb rom (plus microSD slot) for 204€ on Amazon.es. I wasn't too thrilled by the Lenovo or FIRE HD10. Its weakest point is that it only has 3gb of RAM but, for pdf reading with ReadERA app and netflix/prime video. It has four speakers and the screen is pretty decent. CPU is a SD662, more than enough for media consumption.

Samsung has been rolling Android 11 on them since late April.

Does it have any sensors that allow it to auto-wake/sleep when a case is opened and closed? I got my kid the 2019 version and it's really nice except for the lack of auto-wake/sleep and it only has speakers on the bottom. It sounds like the newer model fixed the latter issue.

edit: wait, did the Tab A7 drop the front facing camera? That seems like a pretty big oversite in the era of Zoom calls if so.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Ah, they put the camera on the long side. The bezels are so small and I didn't see a camera in the normal place, so I completely missed it. Sounds like a pretty great tablet in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

fluppet posted:

Looking at a tablet for a 12yr old currently trying to decide between the Samsung A8 and the Lenovo M10 any thoughts

What's the use case? Youtube? Gaming? Drawing?