Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Since the topic just started on the last thread, the Prime got an OTA update this evening. So far the changes confirmed are as follows:

GPS Firmware Update
Wallpaper fix (no more black bars on the far left and right in landscape mode)
New menu button in the top right of applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Trump posted:

There was something in the last thread about WiFi in ICS and how it doesn't support ad hoc networks. I'm a moron so I need to have this spelled out.

Does this mean I can't use my Galaxy S 2 as a WiFi hotspot for my Prime? (if the signal can penetrate the armor ofcourse)

It depends on HOW you're using your phone as a wifi hotspot. As 900ftjesus said, using a wifi tethering app you have to use SoftAP/Infrastructure mode rather than ad-hoc mode. If you're using the built-in Mobile Hotspot under the wifi settings on the phone, it will work with no problem. That's how I've been tethering since I got my prime.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

BushidoLLAMA posted:

So my Xoom got the ICS update last night and while it's all nice and ICS-y I noticed my web flash video is noticeably worse. I used to be able to play HQ videos from the GSL starcraft gomtv website and now the audio keeps up but the video lags behind and then cuts forward periodically. :(

Similar to how my galaxy nexus plays these videos but I chalked that up to some difference between the processors (despite the TI SoC in the galaxy nexus being better for video than tegra 2 in general). Now I'm worried this is some problem with the ICS flash implementation.

There IS an issue with ICS flash implementation. ASUS supposedly added some fixes for it to one of their updates (maybe even the one last night?) and they recommended also uninstalling flash and reinstalling it after that update.

Hell if I can find where I found that at though. I've been trying to find an accurate listing of update change logs :(

Edit: Found it!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1449992

quote:

1/19/12 Update - The ICS 9.4.2.11 update being rolled out now addresses the horizontal line and random signal line issues after the initial ICS load. It also addresses poor video playback (especially YouTube), however if you still have the YouTube corruption problem after this update, please uninstall then reinstall Flash from the app market. This patch also addresses the random reboot problem after the ICS update but we still have another patch that is in qualification testing at NVIDIA to fully solve these problems.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 19, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

McLarenF1 posted:

Xoom goons, you have to let us know if you have the same ICS Prime bug, where the thread loads but blank screen shows up unless you scroll or change orientation.

I have this on my Prime. I haven't had a chance to report it to the Awful app thread. It only happens every once in a while.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Jewce posted:

Just want to say thanks for posting those pictures Frozen-Solid. I was going to post my own, but it is clear from your pics that I only have minor light bleed on the right hand side of the screen.

No problem, glad I could help!

The MicroCenter price match didn't work for me, as the only ones anywhere near me are 2-4 hours away. Best Buy said they can only match local stores :(

I got my wii remote hooked up with a classic controller to my Prime last night, and was enjoying some sweet sweet portable NES/SNES action. Is there anything a good Android tablet CAN'T do?

Here's a question for the people who tether:

If I turn on tethering on my phone, and connect my prime to it, and just leave it on all the time... does it drain the battery? Or will it only drain the battery as long as the tethering is actively being used to send data across it? Is there a way to prioritize networks over each other? If I leave tethering on all the time, it'd be nice for it to automatically switch to my work wifi or my home wifi.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I found my first MAJOR complaint with the Prime, and I'm not even sure if it's something I should even be complaining about but holy gently caress this bugs me.

I can't charge the Prime via USB on my laptop. I don't know why, it just doesn't charge. I plug it in, and see no charging icon. I also tried charging it in my car using a car plug -> USB jack and it didn't work. THEN I got out my mini power inverter, plugged the USB cable into the wall jack, then plugged that into the inverter, and that actually works. I even tried plugging my Kindle's wall jack USB box thing, and that won't charge the Prime either. There's got to be something special about that stupid ASUS power box, which is really loving stupid.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

koshmar posted:

So I just got my Prime and I'm enjoying it so far. Can anyone who has gotten a Prime case recommend one. Also what games/emulators are you running. I've been working to get Baldurs Gate 2 up and running with Gemrb. I was wondering if there were any market games worth my time.

App questions should go to the app thread.

My case hasn't arrived yet, but I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LSCCPG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

El_Matarife posted:

Swype is pretty busted on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the browser app. Anyone know if it's easy to sideload a newer beta APK or something like that? The Swype beta site says not to do it but I wonder if that's just liability / support issues and it will work just fine.

Is there any decent list of tablet optimized apps? I know some Android forum had a list a while back, but I'm wondering if there's a better way now.

It's possible to side-load Swype over the top of a built in Swype, but it kind of depends on the specific tablet/phone. At least on the Atrix you had to delete multiple files as root, reboot the phone, then install the Swype Beta like you normally would. Browse the Swype forums a bit and see if you can find anything on the Galaxy Tab.

It's easy enough to restore too, as long as you backup the files you removed to put back into their proper places.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Is there any way I can browse the (web) Market or something to see what kind of apps are designed for the tablet?

https://market.android.com/

The way android handles phone apps on a tablet is MUCH better than the iPad. It doesn't just scale the entire "phone" window to fill the tablet screen. It actually resizes individual elements, feeling much more like maximizing an app in windows than scaling the entire thing to be huge.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Here's an example of how phone apps not optimized for a tablet run. There are 2 options, "Stretch to fill screen" and "Zoom to fill screen"

Stretch to fill screen is the default. Here's Bacon Reader on that mode:

Then there's the zoom to fill screen, which is what the iPad does:

While the screen space in "stretch" mode could be spent better on a tablet, it doesn't feel out of place like the zoom mode does.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

draize_train posted:

Not sure I'm getting this. You say that Android automatically resizes individual UI elements, but in the first example you posted the UI elements (buttons, icons and so on) look phone-sized. There's so much blank space in there, it looks terrible.

UI elements are actually pretty good sized. They're the same size as a tablet-optimized app's icons would be. BaconReader is pretty much the worst app I have as far as going from phone to tablet, which is why I chose it for an example. Normal tablet icons are like the 4 icons on the bottom left of the pictures. As you can see the new post and messages icons in the top right of the first picture are the exact same size by comparison. They're scaled properly with the tablet, the fonts are proper sized for reading on a tablet, and you can see a LOT more items than you can on a phone.

In the second picture, the two icons in the top right 3x the size of a normal tablet icon button, fonts are blurry, and you can only see 3 items. The entire app window is scaled up to be HUGE rather than having elements scale and stretch intelligently to fill the space better.

MOST of my apps are properly designed for use on a tablet. Even my crappy IRC app is designed for use on a tablet. Look at the Awful app on the market for examples of how an app can look when designed for a tablet on Android. It's one apk that looks amazing on a phone as well as on a tablet. The only ones that don't are social networking apps, like Facebook, Baconreader, and Tweetdeck, but I'll take how those run on the Android to how non-iPad apps run on the iPad any day.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

letsgoflyers81 posted:

In every single app I've used on my tablet which gave me this option, stretch looked so much better than zoom. Granted I'm using a TouchPad so the resolution is only 1024x768 instead of the standard 1280x800, but I can't imagine ever zooming apps instead of stretching.

Definitely Zoom is terrible. I love the stretch option, and unless it's a really light single column app like baconreader or tweetdeck it makes most apps feel right at home on the tablet.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

ASUS just posted the Transformer Prime bootloader unlock tool is coming in February.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

MrMoose posted:

So, given that, is the Prime worth getting if I don't plan to get the keyboard dock? Or is it only really worthwhile if you really want the dock and tablet experience?

I don't have a keyboard dock, and probably won't get one. The prime is an amazing tablet for tablet gaming, HD movie watching (I literally copied a raw 720p mkv file without making any changes to it to the sdcard and it plays perfectly), ebook reading, etc.

It's a great tablet, unless you want a tablet that does GPS.

Nut Bunnies posted:

For every baconreader there's about 10 Skypes:

Still looks better than an app not optimized for a tablet on the iOS would look.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Nannypea posted:

Wireless Trip Report:

I took my Prime with me to the local hospital today while I waiting on my husband. I hooked both my phone and prime to the free WiFi. I had 3 bars on both. I had no with problems the signal anywhere. Looks like it might not be as bad as feared.

I haven't had a single wifi problem since I got mine. So either it was just the first batch of tablets, or it was fixed in an update... or I suppose people are blowing the GPS issue out of proportion and claiming it also affects wifi.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Ordered this case and got it in today. I really like it. It's got enough slots in the case for camera, speaker, mic, charging, etc so I don't think there's a reason to ever have to remove it. It works great as a stand, and doesn't really add much bulk to the tablet. It's pretty cheap crappy fake leather though, which isn't a big deal since it only cost $10

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LSCCPG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

McLarenF1 posted:

I keep flip flopping between using the stock web browser on my Price w/ ICS and Opera Mobile. I want to use Opera Mobile more, but the fact that it doesn't have a "Request Desktop Site" option like the stock browser keeps me from committing. Are there any other mobile browsers that I should now about?
dolphin HD is really good, but I haven't found a reason to use it over the default browser yet.

I got my microsd today. Saddened I can't get google music to download to it instead of internal storage. I also don't like that there is always a notification that it's in with the Prime.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

MrMoose posted:

Tried that already. Still having issues with mine :(

Are you sure you're on the latest update? There's at least one update after ICS that might not have a "from factory" update on top of it.

Even when I did have a few force reboots, they weren't anything like you're describing though. I had 2 right after ICS installed, while I was downloading/installing about 50 things at once, and I've had maybe 2 force reboots over the past 2 weeks after that.

I haven't had any reboots since the latest update.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

ModestMuse posted:

The quality difference between different Primes is shocking. I've seen pictures of people light bleeding where it's coming from 5 or 6 different places. Claims of 4 or 5 dead pixels. The serial unknown issue. Then issues like MrMoose where the software just doesn't seem to want to work... At the same time, there's people like me that don't have any dead pixels, have never seen it re-boot, etc.

What really baffles me about this is that ASUS's other products are absolutely amazing. I own an ASUS desktop, a 2nd generation EEE PC, a G-series laptop, and now the Transformer Prime. The Prime is the first product that didn't have glowing reviews before buying it.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Man I sure must be a loving alien in this thread, considering I have 3 android phones and an android tablet, none of which have ever had a rom outside of stock on them.

I sure wish there were an operating system out there that I didn't have to install a fan made custom rom on... oh wait there is! It's called STOCK ANDROID that millions of people run (including myself) without loving with their androids.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

McLarenF1 posted:

Holy poo poo, so I finally bought Splashtop HD since it's on sale for $6.99 (reg. $9.99) and it's works amazingly well. It's pretty much like having a Windows 7 tablet. Plus the Windows app makes it so easy to configure, just sign into your Google account and the app finds your PC, no having to worry about IP addresses. Even the video/audio streaming works great!

Splashtop is amazing, but fair warning: it's not exactly secure. None of the data being sent over the Splashtop connection is encrypted. If you're not using it on your home network, the best use case for it is to run over a VPN or over an SSH tunnel.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I have a Transformer running 3.2.1. Earlier today I received a notification that there was a system update available, but since I was working with my tablet I decided to wait until I got home from work to update. Now that I'm home the update notification is gone and I can't seem to get it back; I checked for updates using the Settings menu and I even rebooted the tablet to see if it would pop up. Did I gently caress myself out of ICS or something?

VV Tried that. Twice. But if the notification is gone maybe it installed automatically?

It's possible they were doing a test of the release for ICS, and you just happened to be lucky enough to get a notification in that few minute window - but it was pulled before you got to install it.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

When's the next Tegra3 coming out? Do we have any dates on that yet?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I was about to say that I like ICS Browser+ and Chrome for Android better than any other third party browsers but then I realized you're probably not on 4.0.x.

Yeah, on ICS I haven't had a reason to ever use Opera or Dolphin Browser HD. On my phone I never use the default browser. I only switched to Chrome on ICS because Chrome is goddamn amazing on the tablet.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

GreatKesh posted:

I actually can't see an x on the recently used apps bar that pops up but I found out I can go into settings and delete stuff from memory.

On Android you don't even need to close apps, unless they're actually locked up. With Android, apps won't use background CPU usage/battery power unless they're actually doing something, and any app that isn't actively doing something will be automatically killed by the OS when/if it needs more memory.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The battery update on the prime this week is amazing.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

But isn't that showing you haven't actually used it except to take the screenshot?

This is what I want out of a tablet. Something I can leave on, instantly access what I need, and not bother having to shut it down or charge it every single night. Very low idle battery use is awesome.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Toady posted:

There's a tablet out that does this, but mentioning it riles the natives, so I'll simply say to wait for this unnamed tablet's successor before making any Android tablet purchasing decisions.

I'm not going to disparage iOS like some people in this thread, but even if it is the best tablet on the market I could never go back to iOS and Apple. I had an iPhone for a while, and it was great, but I just prefer Android. I'm very tied to Google Apps and the Android ecosystem, and no matter how great the iPad 3 is it won't have the same synergy with my email, music, and apps that I already have with Android.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

So I did something really stupid and dropped my Prime. It landed right on the corner by the power button and shattered the screen. Surprisingly it still works, and beyond feeling a little rough where the spidered glass is the touch sensor still works and everything else is just fine.

Fortunately I have a squaretrade warranty and it's getting sent off for repairs (or money back if they can't repair it). I ended up ordering a replacement, because I'm not confident they're going to repair it and I'd rather not be 2 weeks without my tablet only to be told "lol here's money to replace it"

The plus side is that if they DO repair it, I'll probably have a cheap refurbished Tegra3 tablet for sale.

Fun facts: the minisuit case does not adequately protect a tablet from being dropped. :(

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

My new tablet should be here today. Here's what the busted one looks like right now:

:negative:

Anyone dealt with Squaretrade before? What are the odds of them actually fixing this?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

What's the issue? It looks like a normal prime to me.

You kid, but beyond the fact that the cracks are ugly as hell the entire thing works like a charm. Even touching the clock where it's cracked the worst still works fine. The only bad part is running your finger across one of the worst cracks, because you can really feel it. I've gotten a splinter from it once. I'm actually impressed the whole thing didn't become useless.

It's being sent off to Squaretrade and they're either going to fix it or give me cash back, I'm just not sure what to expect from them as I've never used their service until now. Either way I'll either have my money back or a second prime to sell/use for rooting and development.

New Prime arrived today. Absolutely no light bleed, wifi is picking up a signal fine, and I'm about to test out the app restore feature. The only apps it couldn't back up were Google Earth, Fruit Ninja, and World of Goo. Only World of Goo bothers me because that means I lose all my progress. It seems the WoG developers didn't put the app data in a place you can get to if you're not root.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Cakefool posted:

You don't seriously think they'll fix that do you? Hint: they'll take one look at it & bin it.

I have no idea, because I've never dealt with Squaretrade or ANY warranty service that covers accidental damage. I already bought a new Prime because my assumption is that they won't fix it, but I'm just wondering if that assumption is wrong/misguided.

Talking to Squaretrade they were all "well we repair it if possible" and didn't even want to discuss the cash-back option until they saw it. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.

In other news: reinstalling World of Goo from the market did not reinstall my save data with it. :argh:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The newest batches of Primes made significant improvements to GPS. On my previous model (BCO serial number) I could get a GPS lock once in a blue moon, then it'd disappear within seconds. I never got a steady and reliable lock. On the new tablet (C1O serial number) GPS locks, stays locked, and is consistently ~30-50 feet accuracy. It sees even more GPS satellites than my phone does (however my phone gets 0.0 feet accuracy, locks much faster, and has slightly higher signal strength).

It's still not great, but it at least does SOMETHING.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

How about we stop fighting over the Prime for a few posts, and discuss how much more awesome Chrome Beta is than any other portable browser?

They also released a Chrome to Mobile Beta extension, which is basically Chrome to Phone, but works with Chrome Beta and lets you choose which device to send the link to. It's awesome!

http://goo.gl/tLrfj

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Ciabatta posted:

I actually haven't found much reason to use Chrome instead of the stock Ice Cream Sandwich Browser. Have you noticed much better performance or anything?

Not a lot performance-wise, but I find the UI much more friendly. The best part is if you fat finger a section near several small links, it'll zoom in HUGE and let you pick what you want.

Magic Shortbus posted:

Taking that UI completely replicating and then not giving me the bookmark bar that pops up on any other chrome window I put my google creds into annoys the heck out of me.

My only UI complaint is that when you close all the tabs, you're not left with a "new tab". For the bookmarks bar I just use the bookmarks widget on my desktop.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

How do I find out what my Transformer Prime's serial number is? :)

Settings -> About Tablet -> Status

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The Prime's unlocked bootloader released today. Apparently it's a permanent change and also takes away your ability to get official updates and support (or at least "officially"). Hacker beware! That being said I look forward to CM9 and all the fan mods that will inevitably come out in the coming weeks/months.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Uthor posted:

Man, charging the Transformer over USB is slooooow. I've had it hooked up to my computer while waiting for the new charger to arrive and, in the last 24 hours, the battery meter went up about 65%. So, about 40 hours to fully charge from 0%.

Most tablets, apparently, charge very slowly over USB because they require a 15V charge rather than the normal USB voltage. Use the wall jack and it will charge MUCH faster.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Thank God. Anyone know how long until a rooted ROM comes out?

It'll likely work with the same root method that the Prime uses, since the software is going to be nearly identical.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I got the keyboard dock for the Prime today and I'm already impressed. My only complaint so far is that there isn't a key to open the recent apps list. I keep looking for something like a windows key, or alt+tab.

The one really weird part is that I'm so used to laptops being bottom heavy, but that isn't the case with the Prime while it's docked, because there's almost nothing to the keyboard and that makes the screen heavier. It doesn't sit on my lap as steadily as a normal laptop would. It does sit pretty steady on a table top though. I think my balance is off when it's on my lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo there's an alt key on the other side of the spacebar. I didn't even see that! :downs:

Alt tab apparently does work! Thanks ModestMuse!