Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Invisble Manuel posted:

If you need access from networks other than your own LAN, the one time $5 seems the better buy, than an ongoing subscription based fee. But if you never need remote access, obviously free is better...

Some more things to note if you use Splashtop:

Splashtop v1 does NOT encrypt anything. This is generally a bad idea when doing remote access. If you're at all worried about what you're doing remotely you should use Splashtop v2. My solution for this is to use ConnectBot to SSH tunnel into my home network, and forward ports for the Splashtop Client to access the server. That way I'm encrypted and still get remote access.

Splastop v2 is encrypted entirely down the line, and does much better compression and therefore has a better framerate. There's no PC client for Splashtop v2 yet, which is disappointing, but the v1 PC client can connect to v2 servers just fine.

Overall I like v2 a lot better, and it saves the hassle of having to SSH Tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

the_lion posted:

Gotcha. Thanks for this. Just curious, is it possible to update a device even if Samsung or google don't personally release an update? (Or is this question heading into :files territory?)

Depending on the device, that is where rooting and installing custom roms comes in. Check the rooting thread for more information.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

The co-pilot app works really well. You have to download map packs but can be used completely without a mobile connection. I've used it on my phone a number of times but never tried it with my nexus 7. Don't see why it wouldn't work just as well.

Seconding this. Co-pilot is a really great navigation tool for offline use. I've been using it for a few years now. It's not the best interface on a tablet, but it works well none the less.