Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Frozen-Solid posted:

Here's an example of how phone apps not optimized for a tablet run. There are 2 options, "Stretch to fill screen" and "Zoom to fill screen"

Stretch to fill screen is the default. Here's Bacon Reader on that mode:

Then there's the zoom to fill screen, which is what the iPad does:

While the screen space in "stretch" mode could be spent better on a tablet, it doesn't feel out of place like the zoom mode does.

For every baconreader there's about 10 Skypes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well I mean are you surprised? It was shocking when they announced a quad core tablet coming out so soon, and the same goes for the ICS update, and now it's very clear that they rushed both to the market so they could be "first."

It's the same poo poo that happened with HTC in 2010: "Hey, the battery life on the Incredible & Evo is horrible. We should probably work on it a bit m-" "NO!!!!! WE MUST BE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought Roboto was pretty ugly when I put it on my Incredible, but I'll say that it is better than the horrific Droid Sans

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pweller posted:

My point was that it is frustrating seeing people come in and ask for a recommendation for a basic commuter device, wanting to get the best value for their dollar, only to be recommended top of the line, overpriced products, and writing off everything else as defective.

I haven't seen anyone be recommended a Xoom or HTC Jetstream so I'm not sure what you're exactly on about here

The fact of the matter is that the $500 tablets ARE the basic commuter devices. The ones that aren't are slow, laggy, buggy pieces of junk. And, yes, that includes the Kindle Fire.

Also the notion that $500 is overpriced is just lunacy.