Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Yikes, I just came here to post this exact same thing.

Was given the "next week!" response. It didn't ship. I was then given an actual shipping date estimation. It didn't ship. I threatened cancelling. I was given excuse of "Oops, it was a weekend and a postal holiday." They said that it was "preparing to ship", but they would refund if I still wanted to do so. Like someone else posted, I figured if it was ready to ship then I may as well go ahead since I'd have to start over with a Portenzo order. So I told them that if the case was built and ready to go then to go ahead and send it, but if it wasn't ready then to cancel the order.

Eventually they finally provided tracking info. All it said was "Electronic shipping info received", on October 12. I checked it daily for updates but figured it might just not have been updated (Tregloo mentioned international shipping has limited tracking information).

Today I look and see that it was finally scanned in Chicago on October 24. 12 days just to reach Chicago.

So as with IT Guy, they printed a shipping label to shut me up and stop me cancelling. I had made it clear I was going to cancel if my case wasn't ready. They tricked me so they could keep my money.

If anyone is else fed up waiting for a Treegloo order, my advice would be to get a refund while you still can. They'll just keep lying to keep you on the hook. I don't know why they couldn't just say "It'll be 8-12 weeks", instead of lying and being shady with shipping labels.

Fairly sure that is against credit card policy. Issue a charge back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Mine actually arrived a couple of days ago. I'm still incredibly pissed, since I made it clear I wanted a refund if it wasn't ready to ship (I had decided I would just prefer one of those Blurex cases instead). By the time I realised the tracking info was a delaying tactic, they had finally posted it for real, so I had no recourse. I still haven't gotten a response from them about the shady business with the tracking information. Very shady and deceptive. The case is certainly nice, but I would never recommend them after all this bullshit. They seem to have no problem with blatantly misleading customers.

Fairly sure that providing a shipping number and then not shipping an item is a breach of credit card contract. If you want to gently caress them over, report them to your credit card company.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kind of thinking about getting a Nexus 7 even though I have an original Asus Transformer. $200 for a 16gb model is cheap enough that if I don't use it every day I won't be disappointed. Is the CPU/GPU already outdated, or is it still worth getting?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I cannot for the life of me think of any reason I would by any piece of electronics from Radio Shack.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is pretty odd. I have my new Nexus 7 and I can leave it on for 4-5 days without using it before I have to charge it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How long have you let it charge for? I have run into issues with phones / tablets where if it gets really drained it may take a little bit for it to turn on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

How exactly do I set it up? I turned on sharing on the Nexus 4, and I paired the devices, is there anything else I need to do?

Pair the devices. On the Nexus 4 turn on Internet connection sharing. On the Nexus 10 in blue tooth devices settings for the Nexus 4 connection, select use for Internet connection.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Those of you who wanted a Nexus 7 dock officially from ASUS, you can preorder it now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=899329&is=REG

Sweet. Wonder if you'll be able to mod it so it works with a case.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you use a bluetooth headset it wouldn't really matter how big the tablet is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Google Now builds over time the more you use it and the more you use Google services. It will read your email and inform you of flight / weather information if you've booked travel plans. It will also notify you of tracked packages. If you buy stuff from Amazon and other retailers, it will notify you. It also knows where you live and where you worked, based off of location data. It keeps track of your Google search history and suggests relevant stuff to you. If you search for sports teams it will give you scores, etc.

What are you trying to get it to do? You can't customize it that much. It's supposed to just "learn" and be automatic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And some people prefer to have that as opposed to a widget. Customization is king.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Continuing the case-chat, I picked up one of these for my new Nexus 7 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZGS5PC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely my favorite case so far. I had the standard MoKo case for my old Nexus 7, and this is significantly nicer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Ok I will take that under advisement then, I will just kill things through recent applications, I will also try the awful app. Something with online is killing the battery I am now fully convinced, playing some android games and watching videos I have now noticed drain battery at a normal rate so I will just have to monitor and optimize the abnormal drain I am finding using browsing.

You don't need to kill recent applications. They are not doing anything. Read the links that were posted.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shannow posted:

Been here for over 24 hours now, connected to wifi and via my phones data connection and it still cant locate me. Which seems odd.

I would also download something like GPS Test, which I would then use reset your GPS data or whatever the app calls it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Guys I have to put down my tablet and browse on my phone for 5 minutes. Stupid Android.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OS updates do not come out every few weeks. Like most of this thread, I've had Nexus devices for about as long as there has been Nexus devices. Having a 5 minute "reboot for updates" every 3-4 months does not ruin the appeal of an instant-on device. I'm almost afraid to find out everyone's opinion on app updates.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whatever was going on in 5.0 to cause apps to be paged out seems better in 5.0.1. If that wasn't them fixing the memory leak, it was at least good enough to make it not noticeable. At least on my Nexus 5.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

People are dumb and cheap.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's not Android, but I feel like the Surface 3 makes a much better 2-in-1.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

The SP3 is an insanely good hybrid and blows everything else out of the water but it also costs about 2-3 times as much as the better tablets so it's hard to directly compare them.

The Surface 3 (non-pro) isn't far off from what the Transformer line was in price.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

[Edit: This is not the Android phone thread.]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are you still within the return period? If so, just return it and buy a new one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please stop responding to fishmech.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had to laugh, because as he was making GBS threads up this thread and going back and forth with you he managed to do the same to the drug legalization thread and he got that one closed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered using your 4 hours commuting every week to do something more enriching than watching movies? A Kindle can be had for less than $100 and books might be free from your local library!

Super helpful reply! Thanks! Good job!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's a little hyperbolic. NAND probably got the old capital treatment: saving two bucks a pop across a million units got someone a tidy bonus. If principle or spite were the huge deals you claim they are would they even have SD slots? Oh yeah: even a 16 GB Chromebook has more user-accessible storage than more than half of all Android phones, even though that number includes basically no Android phone worth buying.

Also Chrome on Android without extensions means Chrome on Android without reliable ad-block means Chrome on Android is useless. Man, if Android ran full-fat Chrome you probably wouldn't need the rest of Android anymore save as backward compatibility.

Did you just list the fact that a laptop has more disk space than a phone as a good thing?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But man did they nail that 2013 Nexus 7. Still have two of them working great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stick100 posted:

I'm not so sure that's really a thing anymore. I've had incredibly good experiences with the S3 and S6. I'm generally an Android purist as a dev but both devices have worked amazingly well. I even ran my S3 though part of a load of laundry and it still worked afterward (just the camera would fail to launch).

Granted I use Nova launcher and customize it to have everything on one home screen but I'd do that on any/ever Android device.

I wish someone would make another top spec phone with the form factor of the Moto X 2013 as that was the best phone form I've ever held by a long shot. Given as phones that literally fit average the human hand are on the way out I'm looking forward to the S8 announcement. HTC and Moto used to do research on the best phones for holding but no one wanted their tiny phones.

Getting Samsunged isn't a thing anymore? Can you explain that to the Note 7 users who all had to return their phones in a fireproof loving box?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sir, this is the Android tablet thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LastInLine! LastInLine! LastInLine!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Try leaving it plugged in for ~24 hours. Sounds crazy but on those older Nexus 7s they could get drained to the point where they wouldn't turn on even if they were plugged in.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But tablets are going to kill computers! Right after netbooks kill laptops!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not sure if this counts as a necro or not, but there's no other Android tablet thread so here it goes...

Is it possible to make Google Discover, like what shows up on the Pixels, show up when you swipe left on a Galaxy Tab S3? Without rooting?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

You could use the rootless Pixel launcher with the off store add on APK, but the DPI is kinda screwy on the Tab S3.

I just gave up and put the Google app as an icon on the launcher.

Thanks for the quick response. I trust your opinion, if the DPI isn't right I'll just use the app icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kinda sounds like the battery is dead to me.