Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've been looking at some very cheap tablet options and I'm wondering if those cheap china tablets are worth a drat, specifically this one:

http://www.pandawill.com/teclast-p85-dual-core-tablet-pc-hd-screen-8-inch-android-40-1g-ram-16gb-hdmi-camera-p65201.html

The price difference to the N7 is actually 85 USD in my country and I wonder if this would be decent enough, if all I'm looking for is web browsing, video calls and playing words with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll shelve the china tablet idea for now. The N7 would really be quite nice, if it was actually available in my country (and had a version with a 9-10" screen).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

General_Failure posted:

My Elf II just arrived. because of a slight ordering goof it was sent by China air which takes weeks. This is good. Sort of exactly when I need it, except I'd prefer to update it before I use it. My partner's Elf II has well and truly proven itself through a lot of use and abuse so I have no worries about getting one for myself.

I know it's not a name brand or anything but it is solid, functional and pretty quick. Plus I actually like the larger screen borders on these things so I can actually hold them without triggering off all sorts of things constantly.

edit: it's white? nevermind that looks kind of cool.

Just in case this isn't the update you're referring to, there's a custom rom for it over here:

http://www.apad.tv/apadforum/showthread.php?2805-Elf-II-ROM-DarkElf-Custom-ROM-for-Ainol-NOVO7-Elf-II

which is basically the stock rom with some nice improvements (chinese apps removed, better market compatibility, rooted). I've been using it myself and it's quite nice, new version with the latest wifi improvements isn't too far off either.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

General_Failure posted:

Been busy today but my tablet has already seen some use. No problems beyond the couple of odd bugs which manifested on only mine. If I had the slightest idea how to do it I think it'd be interesting to do a hugeass diff on the contents of both of their systems.

What kind of bugs have you experienced? Mine is pretty solid and stable so far, only thing I've noticed is that the battery indicator is inaccurate, tablet turned itself off with ~25% charge the other day.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mister Fister posted:

Got an Ainol Elf II for a little over $100 shipped.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5063246-99-DualCore-7-1GB-RAM-1024x600-Android-4-0-4-Tablet-Ainol-Elf-II

Crossing my fingers that it works out.

I have the Elf 2, Wi-fi reception is pretty poor, as is the display unless you're indoors and looking at it directly, meaning not at an angle. The thing is pretty solid otherwise.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
For a non tech-savvy person who wants a tablet with a 9+ inch display for some basic internet surfing and ebooks, I should just tell them to get an ipad, right? Are there any android tablets worth considering for someone like that? A Nexus 10 maybe?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a decent option for a waterproof tablet? I frequently used mine in the bathtub and would like one that wouldn't be ruined should I drop it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Stick100 posted:

Probably I'd suggest getting one of those cheap ~$50 Amazon tablets and finding a waterproof case.

That's what I'm currently using, sans the waterproof case, but I was hoping there was a more powerful option out there. I briefly looked at the Mediapad M5 for example, but of course the waterproof options in the tablet market are basically non-existent and it too had no proofing of any kind.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Amazon has released a refreshed version of the Fire HD 8, only change seems to be the inclusion of hands-free Alexa tho:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/06/amazon-announces-new-fire-hd-8-hands-free-alexa/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
When traveling I've been using a laptop for entertainment (videos and web browsing) but I find it kind of a hassle to deal with as the laptop itself is kinda heavy and the charger/psu is as well. I'm wondering if there's a tablet that could do a better job instead. I'm thinking of a device with a screen that's legible in sunlight, SD card slot or 256+ GB of storage (wifi/mobile data isn't always available), USB-C and, ideally, an attachable keyboard tho that's not all that important. Is there a device that covers all those bases or should I keep lugging my laptop around?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Glutton for punishment that I am, I decided to try out the new Tab S5e.

It's ...good?

I like it a shitton better than the Tab S3. It's quicker despite having a SD670 (which honestly isn't that surprising since the 670 mostly benches better then the 820 and can trade blows with the 835).

The smaller bezel, 16:10 aspect ratio, and lighter weight means it's MUCH more manageable in portrait mode. I can one hand it easily to read, I can even palm it. The keyboard is just the right size for two thumb typing in portrait. The elimination of the physical home button and the back and switcher touch areas make it look like a a lot more modern device. The screen when off matches the black of the bezel a bit better which adds to the black slab effect. The fingerprint reader in the power button seems to work well and I suspect is the exact same unit that's on the S10e.

It doesn't seem to have any of the wake time issues that the S3 had where it was basically unusable for the first 60 seconds or so after waking from a deep sleep. It has fairly decent idle battery drain rate while still letting notifications come through.

The speakers are amazing for a device this thin and get good and loud with decent dynamics.

One UI is certainly better than the interface on the S3, though there is still stuff that I find annoying. I wish I could map Google feed to the leftmost panel of the home screen and it's maddening how they only allow a single DnD schedule, I want DnD to come on at different times on the weekend. At least I can remap back, home, task switcher into the proper order.

The bad? No S Pen support if that's your thing. It also doesn't have haptics or (at least currently) HDR support in Netflix or Prime. No headphone jack (dongle included.). It doesn't include the keyboard folio and I didn't buy one, but I may pick one up when they inevitably go on sale. Jelly scrolling in portrait is still here, though not as pronounced as it is on the S3.

The value is also a little questionable. 64/4gb model is $399 MSRP while the 128/6gb model (which is what I got) is $479. With the Tab S4 discounts out there, they can get pretty close in price. That said, I feel the Tab S5e is a more modern design, is newer which is always better with Samsung for updates, the speakers are better, and the 670 is a mini powerhouse that's going to trade blows with the SD835 which was outdated when the Tab S4 launched. The Tab S4 main advantage is the S pen support.

There are some trade in deals out there which could bring down the price and Best Buy currently has a $25 e gift card offer when buying either model right now.

So, I think I'll end up keeping this thing unless I find any glaring issues in the next week or so.

Aren't you the guy who has a Huawei M5? If so, how does it compare to that would you say?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the impressions. I have the 10 inch version of the M5 myself for media consumption and it sounds like the main advantages the S5e offers are the ergonomics and the screen, not enough to replace my M5 just yet as I'm not holding it all that often.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

arisu posted:

it's going to be only for content consumption and I will never enter anything sensitive into it. x.x

Are you saying you would create a secondary Google account for it?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to reiterate how much I'm actually liking this Tab S5e which, if you know my Samsung history, should mean a lot.

The 16:10 aspect ratio, light weight, and minimal bezel make it very very usable in portrait mode. It's actually not all that much harder to use in portrait than the smaller Mediapad M5 8.4. This is the first 10" tablet that doesn't seem like a chore to use.

Nova has been working great with it so it almost feels like a Google device at this point.

Battery life, most importantly idle usage, has been great. I'm 3 days off charge right now with 5 hours SoT and I still have 36% battery left.

Any issues with using it in landscape mode and are you still happy with it in general? I might be in the market for a new tablet soon with these Huawei developments...

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Cool, I'll be getting that should I find a buyer for me M5, not that there are a whole lot of alternatives.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I had an HD8 for video streaming and even with that limited use, the performance made it kind of tedious to use. The screen and speakers were also predictably low quality, so I wouldn't recommend those unless you absolutely *have* to stick to a budget. I eventually replaced it with Huawei Mediapad M5 that I was pretty happy with for a while but, well, you know.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's a shame Huawei it is what it is because they actually put a headphone jack into the new Mediapad, which would make me strongly consider it as a replacement for my M5. As it is, I'll probably look into getting the S5e as well at some point.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Samsung has announced the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite to succeed the S5e in the midrange:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_s6_lite_wifi_variant_to_start_at_399-news-42357.php

What's disappointing is that, at 399 Euros, it still uses the same Exynos 9611 SoC that also powers their budget phones like the M30s, which is a 249 Euro phone.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
S-pen support would be my guess but yes, it doesn't seem compelling in the slightest.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
In the market for a mid range android tablet, mostly for media consumption, it seems the Xiaomi Pad 5 is the best value for money option, are there any others I should be looking closely at? At 400 Euro the price is roughly that of a 9th gen iPad in my region.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
One of the reasons I have an iPad is that there weren't any Google made tablets available at the time, however, I've not really become a fan of iOS and am considering switching back. I usually stick with Pixel phones because I don't really like manufacturers making changes to notifications, memory management and having duplicate system apps. In those aspects, how close is the Galaxy Tab S8 to something like the Pixel? Should I expect that stuff to be pretty different or mostly the same as on a Pixel? The Tab S8 because it seems to be the only real solid mid-range to high-end option. I've spent a little bit of time with the Xiaomi Pad 5 but wasn't a big fan.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

If you know OneUI on their phones, it's about the same on the tablets.

It does have significant and useful enhancements for multitasking and I actually find it more useful and functional than the iPad mini I have.

I don't, only had Pixels and OnePlus really, but I take it you feel the aspects I mentioned are not strong negatives? Could you also maybe speak to the battery life and the quality of the speakers? Those are features I value relatively highly (my feeling is I have to charge my ipad Air 3 pretty frequently and the speakers are only middling).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I appreciate your detailed impressions, thanks!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

torgeaux posted:

Wait a bit, like a couple of weeks. The Lenovo Y700 gaming tablet should be out.

This looks like it could be a great value device but I mainly use this for media consumption, so my priorities are good speakers, display and a sensible OS with good software support. I'm not sure how the Lenovo will fare, especially in the latter category.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a rumor for the launch period of the Pixel tablet?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Most think around Google IO which hasn't been announced yet but is usually in May.

:tipshat:

Tho I wonder if the Pixel tablet, or the Oneplus Pad, would really suit my use case any better. I currently use my ipad air 3 as my tablet and it's pretty much purely a Plex playback device, with battery life, audio and screen as the areas where I'd most like to see an improvement if I were to get something new.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 1, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
OnePlus has started accepting deposits for the OnePlus Pad, preorder bonuses are a case and a charger:

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_pad_early_bird_offer_is_now_live_with_free_accessories-news-58195.php

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I plunked down the $99. If the thing is too out of line price wise, it’s refundable.

Same. Going by the Oppo Pad 2, which this is a copy of, the price should be in the 449 to 499 Euro area I'd guess. I wouldn't really want a Oneplus phone due to their aggressive app killing but a tablet I only need for media consumption, so battery, display and speakers are the key qualities there for me.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
May 10th expected date for Pixel tablet pre-order start:

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1648008746759495697

Having read up on what OxygenOS is like now (basically ColorOS), I'm a little less excited about the Oneplus Pad and hoping the Pixel tablet will deliver, Google haven't made a tablet in a long time tho.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Rumored Euro prices:

OnePlus Pad 499
Pixel Tablet 649

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

Rumored Euro prices:

OnePlus Pad 499
Pixel Tablet 649

OnePlus Pad price is rumored no more, it's 499 and ships May 18th.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Ihmemies posted:

What would be the reason to buy these instead of an iPad?

Personally I don't like having two devices with different control schemes, the lack of back button on my iPad made using it a frustrating experience for me.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I am using gesture navigation on my Android phone, perhaps that's why the slight differences with how iOS handles things bother me so much.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Oneplus Pad reviews are out and they are fairly positive, I can see myself keeping this unless Google has something really good cooked up with the Pixel tablet.

The Verge - https://www.theverge.com/23701161/oneplus-pad-android-tablet-review
XDA developers - https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-pad-review/
Notebookcheck - https://www.notebookcheck.net/OnePlus-Pad-Review-A-premium-Android-tablet-experience-that-goes-easy-on-the-wallet.710470.0.html

Main positives seem to be the hardware and value, while the negatives are software support (3 years os/4 years security) and that the ecosystem and productivity features can't compete with Samsung and Apple.

Edit:

some very negative impressions from Amadeo: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/04/oneplus-pad-hands-on-i-did-not-know-they-still-made-displays-this-bad/

poor display quality and os choppiness are his main complaints

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 28, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How do you unlock it anyways? Activate the display via the power button and a swipe on the lockscreen?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Ah gently caress i forgot about my password manager, you're right, that really sucks.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Amazon Japan briefly had a listing for the Pixel Tablet up, nothing new there other than a June release date.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Wow, leakers were way off on price. $499 including dock.

Kinda, European price is 679, exactly what was rumored.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'll be going with the Oneplus Pad I think. If the prices were equal I'd lean towards the Pixel Tablet but over here, it's a 180 Euro premium for a dock that holds little value for me. I mainly use my tablet at home but frequently do so in different rooms, so a speaker that I'd only use while charging the tablet doesn't sound that appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

My OnePlus Pad arrives tomorrow, but I still pre-ordered the Pixel tablet.

I take it you're gonna share some impressions once you've spent more time with it? I'd be curious.