Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

TildeATH posted:

But now my keyboard makes so much noise when I type and turning off touch sounds hasn't done anything. Anyone know how to get my silent keyboard back?

Settings -> Input and Keyboard -> Keyboard settings icon

You can also jump straight to that page by tapping the Keyboard settings icon on the keyboard whilst its open.

Hardest part of learning ICS is adapting to the fact that there's actual UX design now, so things are where you'd actually expect them to be.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Rumor mill says Samsung will announce a 11.6 inch Galaxy Tab at MWC next month

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
There's been a lot of speculation about one ASUS mystery product.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Codiusprime posted:

8 cores, 4 gigs of ram and a 4K screen.

8 cores, but 2 of them don't work so the specs get changed to 6.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

“lol skype.jpg“ seems slightly better on my Touchpad. Seems they've updated it since then. Phone in landscape for comparison:

Touchpad:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

That's because the Touchpad is 4:3 so there's not as far to stretch it in landscape mode compared to some other tablets. Skype hasn't done anything.

Ah, forgot about that. Probably down to a 16:9 tablet owner to post a screenshot then. At the very least they went out of the way to disable to Stretch/Zoom toggle, so maybe they've tweaked their .xmls since to make the elements bigger.

randyest posted:

What is going on in here? Every one of these skype screenshots looks ridiculous even the ones that people are apparently posting as examples of not looking horrible. I'm so confused :(

I didn't say wasn't horrible, just marginally less horrible. :v:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Crackbone posted:

That's the rub with Android devices - because of it's open nature it's much harder to implement that kind of benefit.

Flexible tools to manage density independence have actually been there since the beginning of Android. As for UI design, Android layouts follow the flexible box model, so in some cases it's actually easier than crafting layouts on iOS.

The problem isn't difficulty, it's payoff. The difference in the economics between the App Store and Android Market is such that for many companies it's a better use of time to direct all available effort towards the App store, since if an app breaks the top 100 the total payoff will likely exceed a comparable Android placement many times over.

There's kind of a chicken-egg problem. Developers won't bother investing time in Tablet optimized layouts if there's no perceived market for it, and they'll be no market for Android tablets if there's no showcased software (which is exacerbated by Google's stance that there should be no concrete division between Phone/Tablet apps). What needs to happen is for Google to create a couple of house apps/features which make sense for a Tablet and are sufficiently differentiated/break away from the iPad whilst at the same time being desirable enough that there'd actually be significant standalone demand for it regardless of 3rd party apps.

And even if they do pull all that off with the rumored 7 inch Nexus tablet, there's still the issue of marketing. This is the same Google who just last week hap-hazardously convinced the entire internet that they'd dropped consumer support for their flagship phone in the US after all.

quote:

This is it in a nutshell. Android's scaling features are a necessary evil, not a feature.

I'd say it's a feature, but it's not some panacea where a dev can just create one xml layout and call it a day. Android apps "scale" on phones too and that works out much more seamlessly because dev effort is focused there. The OS constructs the app on the fly based on the best of what's provided inside the APK. The scaling only works as well as the dev has made it work. Add Google not wanting to curate the Market there you go.

qirex posted:

In Android you have four generalized resolutions and four generalized densities and even then the screen aspect ratio might be 16:9 or 16:10 which makes it a lot more challenging.

It's only more challenging if you approach it from the mindset of building a native app for iOS. It's really more akin to building a "native website".

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 7, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Was it this thread or the last thread when we had the huge multi-page derail about Android interface responsiveness? I think it was back in December when those Google+ posts started the whole saga.

Basically, go read the old thread if you care about why Android's interface chugs.

That actually happened in the old General Android thread, not in the Tablet thread.

The G+ posts in question (to save digging):

Initial post by Android Framework engineer, Dianne Hackborne

An interns interpretation

Dianne Hackbornes indirect response to the intern

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

I don't think it's safe to assume that the XOOM or the even the XOOM 2 will act as Google's "Nexus tablet". The merger hasn't even happened yet and both devices were designed and released without Google's supervision.

He's actually right, the Wifi Xoom is Google's current reference tablet for Android releases, Google state as much on their AOSP page, and they provide drivers for it on their Nexus drivers page. Even though the 4G Xoom isn't supported as a "reference device" anymore like all the other CDMA devices, it still gets updates from Google (though IIRC from blogs/this thread historically there's always been a time lag for updates compared to the Wifi only version.)

Also just to add to the confusion, all of this only applies to the U.S. Outside the U.S all updates are maintained by Motorola, and the updates follow a much slower schedule, unless your reflash the Xoom to become a supported *Google Xoom*.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I read the OP but saw no mention of the XOOM in it...realistically how much longer will Google support the XOOM with updates and poo poo like that? I'm looking for an android tablet but rather not spend 5/600, and I figure since the XOOM is kinda googles "nexus" tablet it would probably be the safe bet at a 3/400 dollar price point...

Seems starting with the Nexus S, Google actually equip their reference devices with sensible specs which don't turn out to be incapable of running the next release months down the line. Nothing about the Xoom is underpowered enough to force them to drop it.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Janin posted:

There's a difference between a "reference" device and a Google device. The Xoom was designed and built by Motorola, and is no more a Google device than the G1.

The most useful distinction is whether the updates are being maintained by Google or not, and for the U.S Xoom they are. If just being a developer phone were enough to appear on those pages, the Motorola Droid would be there also.

quote:

That's because with phones, Google uses its own devices as the references. It has control over the hardware.

This part of the 2010 Andy Rubin interview implies they used the exact same process with the Xoom as they did their Nexus phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqBPW3avYs&t=426s

So Google engineers definitely used it to build HC/ICS, and in the U.S they have full control of the software. If that wasn't the case the hilarious situation last year where the non-U.S Xoom had a working SD card read/write implementation by Motorola, but the U.S Xoom had to wait till 3.2 for Google to implement it themselves since Motorola weren't allowed to touch it.

quote:

The Xoom is by Motorola, and I honestly wouldn't expect Google to support it at all once they have their own tablet out.

That won't happen, since even if 7' tablet rumors are correct, they still need a 10' around for testing layout, and aside from branding the Xoom is "their own tablet".

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Janin posted:

it's the Motorola Xoom, and it's ridiculous to claim that it should be considered a Google product just because its OS is based on Android.

Even though Google maintain device specific branches for the Xoom on their own servers in the exact same way as Nexus phones? OK.

quote:

Did you start the video at the wrong place? I didn't hear any mention of your claims in the linked section.

Q: "Is this the one you designed with them, or is there going to be 175 versions of this?"

A: "This particular one you take a new processor, you do bring up on that processor, and you take a new screen, and you get everything working for the first time..."

"What we do is we pick one of our partners, a semi-conductor partner, an operator and OEM and combine them together, and this is the device that all the engineers have on their desk when they come in the morning. It makes for a much tighter integration of hardware and software".

Sure sounds a lot like the Nexus Program:

quote:

We have this strategy where we have this Nexus program, and we have this lead device strategy. That strategy has worked quite well to help focus the team.

What we do is that we select each -- around Christmastime of each year -- we select a manufacturer that we work very closely with to release a device in that time frame. That includes, also, semiconductor companies and all of the components that go in the device.

Essentially the teams huddle together in one building. They jointly work in these development efforts -- they go on for nine to 12 months. And ultimately at the holiday season, or right before it, devices pop out that are based on this effort.

Pretty much the only thing it's missing is the Google branding, and even that could be because they knew in advance HC was woefully inadequate/rushed, so decided to let Motorola fully take the hit.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Basically I'm asking what tablet I should get for 3-400 bucks. The bigger then better.

It's hard to say until MWC in 2 weeks time, which is where OEMs will make their move after mostly being burnt by tablets last year. Any company which brings out a new flagship will most likely put their support for any older tablets on a slower schedule/if at all. And there's nothing to say there won't be new 10' releases at that price tag.

While you're probably covered with most HC tablets ICS-wise, the only tablet with guaranteed fast track support for the next post-ICS update from Google (I/O is only 4 months away) is the Xoom, so maybe the Wifi Xoom will fit you best. Though make sure you're okay with the weight in a store first, because IIRC that's one of the main reasons people in this topic switched to the Galaxy tab.

Still if you can, wait a bit.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

iOS5 has COMPLETELY eliminated the need to ever plug your ipad into iTunes.

I wouldn't go as far as "COMPLETELY". You still need iTunes to transfer files into apps, and Wifi sync is a bit on the clunky side at times meaning it's often faster/less hassle to just plug it in.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

There are apps that can access the file system without itunes and you can manually put stuff into your device.

Those still require iTunes installed to interface with the device, so you might as well just use iTunes.

quote:

Apps can also provide wifi access independent of itunes to copy data too and from the device.

True, though you can't always guarantee that the app developer has implemented such a method. Dropbox sync is a much more common implementation, and even that gets left out at times.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Another 10' Samsung tabl...woah, is that a pen?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Looks like I got that quote wrong, though no point editing it since the real lines are too unwieldy for the link.

quote:

The option is fine, for those who can make use for it, great. Its making it the prime feature and selling point that gets embarrassing.

Making it the prime feature/selling point is the right thing to do if you're going to make a niche product. The terrible advert which does nothing to outline the benefits or address preconceptions of it being the same as old stylus devices; not so much.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why did Samsung make an otherwise identical tablet when they could have made a pen that will work on current and future devices? If the current ones are lovely then all the more reason to make a better one.

One reason is that Dual digitizer (capacitive + active) screens with built in palm rejection are a much more established technology (your link is a Kickstarter project with a recently ended funding period). Another issue with going the wireless route is the added latency, since a close to 1:1 mapping is tough to get right even when you have the technology built into the screen. Even a little extra lag combined with the feeling with pen on glass can make the whole thing feel "off".

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Vaporware posted:

I thought the S-pen was a wacom stylus with pressure sensitivity?

Its the screen which has the pressure sensitivity, you just need a compatible pen. Any Wacom stylus for dual-digitizer PC's would work with the Note.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

Android Tablet Megathread: YOSPOS.

I still dream of the day that I have a lightweight tablet that can run onenote (or something as good as onenote). I feel like we can be there by the end of the year though.

Sounds like a Windows 8 on ARM tablet is exactly what you need, and they're out by the end of the year.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

There's a pretty big rumor going around that Google is preparing to release another major version update to android, and it's likely to make its way to tablets first.

The source for that is Digitimes, the same source which pegged a 5 & 7 inch iPad coming out early 2011, a retina display iPad coming out alongside the iPhone 4S in 2011 and the ASUS Transformer Prime being the Google experience reference device for ICS.

They're quite hit and miss.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait until the iPad 3 comes out and see if the 7.0 Plus drops in price at all. Do you know if its supposed to ever get ICS? I have a gaming PC, so I'll just be using the tablet at my friends' houses or when laying on my bed so I don't really want to spend over $400.

It will apparently, Androidandme put up a nicely formatted list based on what Samsung has confirmed in the press. Though with Samsung, you'll never know the time frame.

It's also worth keeping an eye out for MWC next week, since there's a chance the rumored 7' inch Google tablet will make an appearance. The countdown on the official website would suggest that the Android team are planning on announcing something:

http://www.android.com/events/mwc/2012/
(Worth checking every day just to see how the graphics progress)

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Can I still angrily post about Google finally implementing an actual desktop backup interface and then later half rear end removing it?

:argh:

Did this actually happen? Just about the only concrete thing you can infer from random G+ Android Googler comments on the subject is that a companion GUI for regular people was in the pipeline for ICS, but they ran out of time so left in the ADB interface for developers/advanced users.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Flobbster posted:

I don't know if this has been addressed in a previous post, but here goes:

My department purchased a handful of 7" Galaxy Tabs for educational use (I'm teaching a CS2/Java course using Android). I've been using mine for a while for testing and development, and the battery life is poo poo.

Just yesterday, I unplugged it from the wall and it had a full charge. I used it for barely a few minutes, and when I left it alone, the charge was still full or nearly full.

I leave it off the charger overnight, get back to my office this morning, and the battery life meter is almost all the way down to nothing. Wtf?

I have Bluetooth and GPS turned off -- I had wi-fi on, but it wasn't connected to the network at the time, and I can't imagine that wi-fi alone would drain it that much. (MY IPAD at home that gets even more use holds its charge for weeks).

I'm going to try turning off the wi-fi and see if I see any improvement, but is there anything I'm missing? Background services I can shut off? The tablet is fresh out of the box (running 2.2) with only a handful of small apps I've written myself installed on it.

RMA/Replace the device, you've got a faulty battery/sensor:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-tab-support-troubleshooting/402396-samsung-galaxy-tab-7-battery-issue-solution.html

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
(Cross post for HC/ICS Tablet owners)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwmG43D0vD4

Google Docs now has native editing for documents.

Market Link

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 22, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
ICS rollout for the original Transformer has started

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 23, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Another ASUS MWC trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APceHmM6D84

My guess is an art focused tablet with a stylus.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Galaxy Note 10.1 promo has leaked ahead of MWC. Not so surprising since the writing was already on the wall from the previous leak, but this one is much more definitive.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Samsung have announced the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Not really. It's not a very good font.

Here's a longer write up by a typographist had similar first impressions but changed his mind

Toady posted:

Helvetica knock-off

Only to the degree that Helvetica is a knock-off of Akzidenz-Grotesk. The line lengths are similar, but it has a very different overall feel to Helvetica and Helvetica Neue.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 26, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/27/2827546/asus-padfone-pictures-availability-phone-tablet-laptop-stylus

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 27, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Kirk posted:

Anyway, yes, I was just wondering if there were any Android exclusive apps that I may have previously missed.

There's the Adobe apps like Collage/Kuler/Proto etc which haven't been ported over to the iPad (yet). Though Photoshop touch was released yesterday on the App Store so that's one down.

https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Adobe+Systems#?t=W251bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLDEsImFpci5jb20uYWRvYmUua3VsZXIiXQ..

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 28, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Apparently Google are working with ASUS to release a $199 7" Nexus tablet with Tegra 3

Pinch of salt applies, but it makes sense given ASUS' "first to get Jelly Bean" comments earlier in the week and the Google play domain registrations. It would also explain where the 7" ASUS Memo disappeared to.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 3, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

The screen on my transformer recently stopped working for no particular reason...the power switch will turn the backlight on but nothing comes up on-screen. Should I just RMA it?

If you're outside the retailer return period, I think you already know the answer to this. Just make sure you're sufficiently prepared against the RMA shipping horror scenario that one unlucky poster described.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Well there's always this:

quote:

Samsung could be lining up announce the launch of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 11.6 tomorrow, bringing the new iPad's resolutionary reign to an abrupt halt.

Pocket-lint has received information from a source close to the matter, claiming that a new Samsung Tab 11.6 will be announced at an event in Texas, but couldn't confirm any other details on the new device.

That chimes nicely with SXSW, in Austin, Texas, where Samsung is lining up a "special announcement" tomorrow, 9 March, at 4pm (10pm GMT).

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 11.6 was first rumoured back in December 2011, claiming to have a screen resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels. Although the absolute pixel numbers would then be higher than the new iPad, announced yesterday, the pixel density would be almost the same at 260ppi.

Other expected specs include the 2GHz dual-core Exynos 5250 chip and a design that doesn't swell the tablet much over the size of the Tab 10.1 thanks to the thin bezel, along with Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich.

Samsung is no stranger to the 11.6-inch size, as the company already has an 11.6-inch Windows tablet, the Samsung Series 7 Slate, although we'd expect the design to be somewhat slimmer on a consumer Android tablet.

We've asked Samsung to comment, but it hasn't come back to us yet. We'll know whether our tipster was correct very shortly.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44823/samsung-galaxy-tab-11-6-launching-tomorrow

BGR also had a story about it back in December.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 8, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

bull3964 posted:

The Xoom LTE upgrades are ending March 31st, I would expect the ICS upgrade to come after that.

There has been evidence that ONLY LTE upgraded Xooms are going to get the update moving forward, so it would make sense for them to delay the push until all the upgrades are done.

It seems much more likely that Google's grand 4.0.4 bugfix is the cause of the delay:

quote:

At this point it's all bugfixing. I know there are some kernel and some telephony issues being looked at, dunno the details.

https://twitter.com/#!/jbqueru/status/175712809684971521

"Telephony issues" most probably refers to the 3g/4g handoff issues the Verizon Galaxy Nexus suffered. Which is to say if they pushed 4.0.3 out to the LTE Xoom like they did with the Wifi, the exact same problem would manifest.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

ICS is still coming to wifi and 3G xooms though...I don't get what all the fuss is about?

The Wifi Xoom got 4.0.3 in January, so it's only really about the 3G/LTE model.

hotsauce posted:

It's not defective it's just that ICS is very unstable.

That level of instability seems less ICS, and more due the fact that ASUS rushed the update out with the intention of patching issues which arise as they go (as per usual), which inevitably did thanks to their seemingly high rate inter-unit variability. You're right to bail.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

TildeATH posted:

So, in my foolhardy attempt to discuss Android tablets, is there any real word on the next Google reference tablet?

A couple of days ago Digitimes was saying it might be released in May: http://androidandme.com/2012/03/tablets-2/digitimes-echos-our-nexus-tablet-by-asus-rumor-could-launch-as-early-as-may/

Then again, Digitimes. The 7" Transformer completely disappearing off the map at MWC is suspicious though, so maybe they're on to something.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 13, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is any gadget news actually news now, or is it just "a source told us" and the source is another blog that is quoting another blog?

Nope. Sometimes they even note the source as wrong within the same article yet still post it for the page views.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
More Nexus tablet rumors from Androidandme:

quote:

The ASUS MeMo 370T that was revealed at CES has been scrapped after Google contracted with ASUS to produce their “Nexus tablet.” Earlier reports said the device would retail for $249-199, but we are now told the target price is $149-199. The quad-core Tegra 3 version that was previously leaked is no more. Other than the 7-inch display, no additional information has been provided on the specs.

http://androidandme.com/2012/03/opinions/rumor-nexus-tablet-is-a-done-deal-to-retail-for-as-low-as-149/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

nickhimself posted:

Ditch a good processor and lower the price to "It's cheap enough that I'll buy it!" territory so more people can think Android is a terrible system because it's displayed on garbage hardware? SOUNDS GOOD GUYS LET'S DO MORE OF THAT!

Eh, the verdict on Tegra 3 seems to be that it's somewhat underpowered benchmark wise despite the cores, and that this years dual-cores from Qualcomm etc outperform it. Something like the dual core OMAP 4 would still be perfectly adequate for that screen size.

quote:

edit: I like Android, I'm not trying to troll here. I'm sad the system keeps being sold on poo poo hardware just because it can be.

I think a large part of what makes cheap badlets bad is actually the lack of optimization on the driver side. That diminishes as an issue with Google on board, so it's just a matter of ASUS finding the cheapest working parts, which seems to be one of its core competencies.

It's a delicate balancing act, but if they pull off a good device at that price point it will be disruptive. The Kindle Fire already came close to that ideal, but the UI/UX had issues and going by reviews it had unnatural touch response (the most important part of the device) so either they skimped too much on the touch panel or something went wrong with the touch drivers.

quote:

Why won't a company take a chance at making a high end Android tablet that really showcases the system? Other than the Transformer, I mean, since that's had myriad problems since day 1.

That's pretty much the story of last year. Aside from HC itself being terrible, the big issue is that nobody will develop tablet-optimized UI's if there's no market for Android tablets, and they'll be no market for Android tablets if there's no showcase of tablet-optimized UI's or unique features.

What the 7' seems to be aiming for is getting the ecosystem itself out of life support, which subsequently increases the value of other Android tablets.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I can't see a $149 tablet being any good. I hope the reason it won't have a Tegra3 is because they're staying with TI and using an OMAP5 or something.

I'm more worried about ASUS pulling another Prime than the specs. Though I guess since Google has a heavy part in the hardware design of Nexus devices, that threats mitigated somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

the posted:

I have an Asus Transformer. Lately it's been.. acting weird. I don't know if it's ever since the system update to ICS, but it's pretty close.

-Random reboots.

-Sometimes the home screen just... goes blank. And all I get is the background and the bottom buttons. No option really but to reset.

What the hell is going on?

Seems like ASUS pushed out ICS before it was ready, it's a pretty widespread problem over at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1544882

ASUS are almost too quick in pushing out updates, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was is another bug fix in a week or so since the last one was a fortnight ago. That'll probably fix it. Or make it worse. Or do nothing.