Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
WSJ reports that Google will open a web store to sell tablets later this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, they're not making the tablets, but leaving that up to their partners Samsung and ASUS at the moment (no Motorola?).

That line doesn't mean much since technically they've never "made" any of their own reference devices. No Motorola isn't surprising since they don't own them yet, because doing so would scare away other OEMs and since technically they've already got the US Motorola Xoom 1 as a reference tablet.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

TildeATH posted:

ICS 4.0.4 just got pushed to my Xoom. Not seeing any differences-is there anything I should look for? I suppose it's a good sign, since there are zero significant issues I have now with this tablet and I'm no longer waiting for Android to get its poo poo together.

Just speed, stability and battery life improvements.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 30, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Pocketnow claims to have a render of the Nexus tablet:

http://pocketnow.com/android/is-this-the-rumored-galaxy-nexus-tablet-from-google

Seems dubious I know, but they have a long track record of very accurate device renders and leaks.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Should my original Transformer be able to sleep for a couple of days on a full charge? Before ICS the tablet was still a new toy that I gave a full battery worth of use most days. Since ICS, if I leave it in my bag for a day or two, the device will be dead when I grab it.

I'm assuming this is a new problem, but since I never left it off the charger for long periods before updating, I can't be sure.

There's definitely reports of instability/battery drain on ASUS builds of ICS. I'd just wait to see if the next update resolves it before inflicting a game of battery drain hide and seek/ASUS RMA on yourself.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
The Verge's Google sources say the Nexus tablet is being pushed back from a May release to July in order to bring the price down from $249 to $199. They also say it's unlikely to come with Jelly Bean. Conflicts with Androidandme's reports, but since they're rather hit and miss I'm more willing to side with The Verge.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/6/2929707/google-tablet-july-launch-exclusive

The Jelly Bean part makes sense because introducing a new name with ICS adoption being where its at wouldn't be very good PR. Makes much more sense to pull a Honeycomb and release a Eclair->Froyo level stealth update at Google I/O called "Ice Cream Sandwich 4.1", since regular people and reporters ignore API levels/version numbers. That gives ICS time to reach Gingerbread's 1 year tipping point, and then they can just release Jelly Bean in Q4 with the 4th Nexus phone.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
You can also use chrome://sessions/ to see all the tabs you have open across different clients. It's been there for a while now (its even in the current Stable release).

quote:

Just need desktop useragent support, plugin/extension support, and gesture support and I can switch from Browser + permanently.

Seems like things are going in that direction officially:

quote:

When I ask Pichai if Chrome coming to Android changes the Chrome OS strategy, he says it “takes nothing away” from their work on that OS. And he says that there will be more to share on Chrome OS later this year.

As for the whole web vs. native app debate, Pichai notes that Chrome for Android links to the Android Market whenever possible — meaning there isn’t a dedicated web app area like there is on the PC version of Chrome. Also not coming along for the ride yet: extensions (but they’re thinking about how best to do them on mobile).

One other bit of intrigue: Chrome for Android will be a part of the Google Apps package. This means that once Chrome fully replaces Browser on Android, there will no longer be a browser that’s a part of the open source Android.

http://parislemon.com/post/17215781807/chrome-for-android-the-browser-for-the-1

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Red_October_7000 posted:

Firstly, lots of stuff appears to just not run on it. Among other things, any of the Angry Birds games besides the original will install but not run; they display the loading screen and then crash to the desktop without any ceremony at all. I know I've got a later version of the OS than they demand, but this is the extent of my abilities to diagnose the issue, and general searching hasn't been much help.

Basically whats happened is since the tablet wasn't certified for Google Play, the device wasn't subjected to any of Google's checks to make sure implements the Android APIs/Frameworks necessary for apps to run correctly. Your only recourse aside from taking it back is to hack a custom ROM built by enthusiasts on there. This forum came up in a search: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/225-pd-planet-fwdevelopment/

If you decide to go that route this also answers your second/third questions, since hacking would allow you to remove apps and add Google play access.

quote:

Fourthly, another general question: I like this thing quite a bit, and I recognize that it's not exactly the top of the range, so to speak, so I might want to get a more powerful tablet down the road. A quick poke through the selection at Best Buy revealed one thing to me -the capacitive touch-screen seems to be the rule, and I basically can't use them. I've had touch-screen devices since the days of the USR Pilot and manipulating them with the corner of my thumbnail or a stylus pen has just become second nature, never mind the inevitable fingerprints that result from a capacitive screen. Are there any other, nicer devices on the market with a resistive touch-screen?

I think what you're looking for is a device dual capacitive/active digitiser, which has a capacitive layer for fingers whilst also having a pressure sensitive layer for pen input. You might like the HTC Flyer since it's also 7', and the Honeycomb update that went out last year apparently gave it the ability to navigate the device with its pen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXamOqfmMk8

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
ASUS have begun rolling out an ICS stability update to the original Transformer:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/04/24/ics-update-build-9-2-1-21-for-the-asus-eee-pad-transformer-tf101-rolling-out-now/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Henry Meowlins posted:

Now before anyone says "well he should only care about the area for which he works,"

Well he should.

quote:

the market developers should absolutely be some of the top guys concerned about fragmentation since it largely affects everything channeled through their product.

How so? From an engineering perspective the only thing it changes is whether the Web install service is push or not (and at this point on 92% of devices it is). Software/hardware variation is abstracted away by filters. Why wouldn't they focus on solving Play app discoverability/design/maintenance problems whilst leaving dev tools/device compatibility to their respective teams?

quote:

The bottom line to google, though, isn't that anyone has the most up to date software or even a device that works well, but rather just millions of devices in hand that they can use to harvest data to further build their analytical information to sell to their true customer the advertisers.

Even with that premise they can't "harvest data" or push the Google ecosystem as effectively from broken devices or older versions of the OS.

quote:

They don't make money by having everyone up to date on Ice Cream Sandwich. They won't care that everyone is running Gingerbread when Jelly Bean is out. They are able to sell and serve up adspace on any one of them and that's their bread and butter.

A better (faster, smoother, more battery efficient etc) OS increases engagement/satisfaction with the device, which in turn increases the value of the ad space. Likewise with the browser, which is why they're moving in to bundle Chrome.

quote:

As long as the advertisers keep paying the bills, google will not give a gently caress about fragmentation. They have absolutely no reason to do so.

Except the part where the state of the OS and the browser directly affects their advertising bottom line.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

ASSTASTIC posted:

I want to get a tablet for my wife for her birthday. Xoom on woot for 300bux. Good deal? Anyone got experience with this tablet? FYI: One on woot is refurb.

An iPad 2 would be a much safer bet as a gift, so if your budget stretches that far go straight for that no questions asked. The worth of a tablet form factor device is heavily dependent on its apps, and while ICS is a solid tablet OS its ecosystem currently lags far behind the iPad. Unless you're specifically choosing hardware/prefer the OS, buying an Android tablet over an iPad is a gamble on whatever initiative Google has for turning the app situation around actually working.

If for whatever reason it specifically has to be a Android tablet, I'd personally get a Wifi Xoom before any of the others since its Google's flagship device. Regardless of whether their plan actually works or not, whatever Google refers to as "doubling down on tablets" will most likely involve the updates released next month/later on in the year. The US Wifi Xoom is the only current tablet guaranteed to get them as soon as they're available/at all since the software is directly maintained/deployed by them. Only thing to keep in mind is the weight compared to the current crop of tablets (though it still weighs less than the 3G iPad 1).

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Dante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9c1la5O65U
I want this a lot, but it looks progressively more lovely the more people fiddle with it :(

It still has the battery over the ipad+clamcase combo, which is important to me (in addition to working with the google ecosystem), but drat if it's not looking grim for this release.

Keep in mind that footage was taken at MWC, where beta software is pretty much par on course. I'm not saying you should let your guard down with ASUS (especially after the Prime), but in this case its a little premature.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
HTC won't be updating their tablets to ICS:

quote:

HTC tablets, including the HTC Flyer, HTC EVO View 4G, and HTC Jetstream, will remain on their current Android version (Honeycomb).

http://www.htc.com/www/help/android4faq/?cid=android4blog

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
"ASUS Nexus 7" running 4.1/Jelly Bean has shown up in benchmarks, so you might want to wait for Google I/O next month if you're looking for a device in the 7" form factor.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Alleged-press-image-drafts-for-the-Google-Nexus-tablet-emerge-to-sport-Android-4.1_id30947

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Or maybe ASUS just forgot how to make tablets and decided to "borrow" from Apple and Samsung for the looks.

Google has a heavy hand in the industrial design of their lead devices, so it's not surprising to see similar design cues even across different OEMS.

Assuming it's legit/the press render is accurate, at least the power button isn't on the back like the Xoom.

The similarity to the GIII isn't definitive proof against it since the hardware design of the Galaxy S3 is heavily based on the Galaxy Nexus:

So you could just as easily argue that the similar speaker, front camera, sensor arrangement etc is evidence for it being legit since it shows a consistent Google design language.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Kazy posted:

Why is no one questioning why this has the speaker hole of a phone?

This looks exactly like a Galaxy Note with the "SAMSUNG" photoshopped out.

Looking at the two, the Note's speaker grill is a little further away from the screen, the shape and positioning of the sensors is a little different, and the bottom corners of the (supposed) tablets screen seem a little closer to the curve. The tablet also has a slight skew about it, whereas the Note is a little more rectangular.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

World's largest smartphone tablet?

What's the name of that 18-inch dual-booting tablet that is supposed to be coming out? I think I'm the only person that is really interested in it. I rarely take my TF101 anywhere so having a laptop sized touchscreen device that can run Android AND Windows seems to be perfect for me, if it doesn't suck. I'm not getting my hopes too high on it not sucking though.

ASUS AIO (All in One).

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Forgive me if this is the improper thread since it's a phone and a tablet but is there going to be a US release of the ASUS Padfone? It's pretty much the device of my dreams but with my luck we'll never see it stateside.

According to the supposed ASUS rep who blogs are saying "confirmed" the Nexus tablet, ASUS is having trouble convincing US carriers to stock it which has slowed down their launch plans:

quote:

The next piece of info that we got is a little more specific. ASUS is in talks with US carriers to bring the Padfone stateside. The bad news is carriers hate it (somehow expected, those tethering fees are basically free money) and, so far, only AT&T is willing to give it a try. Things are going slow on this front, said the ASUS rep.

http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-google-tablet-confirmed-at-t-padfone-pad-infinity-tf700-93742/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
The Verge Nexus 7 review is up: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125396/google-nexus-7-review

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

revolther posted:

So are microSD and HDMI are both phased out of Googles post 4.0 device plans?

Best explanation came from one of the Android engineers: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...b-mass-storage/

Also if you really need expandable storage for a desert island trip, remember that Android started natively supporting USB host in HC, so you could always buy a USB OTG cable (like this one) and then plug in a USB thumb drive. Not as graceful as an on device solution, but still worth noting for those who are finding it a deal breaker.

Random youtube example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx1H7HRANP4

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

The hardware is a steal, it's being sold for cost basically.

ASUS aren't selling it at a loss. Google "sell through" all of their reference devices, its a split where the OEM gets the hardware profit and Google get complete control of the experience. It seems Google's long term plan to offset the cost of doing this to themselves is to make a profit off self-made Nexus-branded hardware accessories and marketing them alongside (though their first attempt at this has a very foggy value proposition).

quote:

Google is trying to gut their hardware partners.

They're trying kick to the tablet app ecosystem out of life support. Marco Arment put it aptly:

quote:

Developers are heavily swayed by three factors when deciding which platforms to develop for:
  1. Which platforms do we use ourselves?
  2. Which platforms have large installed bases?
  3. Which platforms will be profitable to develop for?

By solving 1 and 2, they'll get increased tablet app support which in turn increases the value of all Android tablets. Its an attempt to short-circuit the "no market for tablet apps due to no tablets, no market for tablets due to no tablet apps" chicken/egg problem they've got going.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

That stories been updated since you posted it:

quote:

We've received a response from ASUS that they're unable to replicate the problem on production units (I/O units are, technically, pre-production), so this may have been sorted out in time for the initial consumer run. It appears, then, that this problem is at least affecting only some units.

Cakefool posted:

What 10" :jeb: devices are there out to compare it to? :confused:

The Motorola Xoom was Google's previous reference tablet, so it's probably what shes referring to since its due to get 4.1 alongside the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus in mid-July. They actually revealed offhand in a design session on I/O Day three that a lot of the initial development work for the Nexus 7 was done on Xooms modified to run at a cropped resolution (presumably until the initial Nexus 7 prototypes were complete).

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 4, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Kynetx posted:

I... what's the problem? Does something not work?

It's not taking advantage of the screen real estate. There's enough space to show the full navigation, message list and the details view on the same screen, whereas the layout which hasn't been optimized will keep them compressed/separate screens. Best way to illustrate is a random screenshot of the iPad version from Image Search:

Whilst a 7 inch tablet like the Nexus 7 since can just about get away with using a smaller screen layout, larger screened Android tablets don't have that luxury since it's that much more noticeable. This is probably a key reason (aside from cost) why Google chose the form factor they did, since the Nexus 7 can easily subsist on the existing app ecosystem without too much discomfort whilst at the same time driving the adoption of tablet optimized layouts. Only time will tell if their gambit works or not.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 5, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

I'm eyeballing the TF300 for a comic book reader because my iPad 1 is just too heavy. Is it still considered the best of the bunch for 10.1" tablets under $500? Does anyone know if Jellybean will come somewhat quickly to it?

Out of curiosity why have you ruled out the iPad 2/new iPad? Either of those would also solve the weight issue, but with less of a switching cost.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/10/3149867/nexus-7-when-and-where-can-you-get-one

According to The Verge the sell date is separate from the retail shipping date and has yet to be set.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 11, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/11/office-depot-delays-nexus-7-sales-until-further-notice/

At least for Office Depot, it did turn out that the shipment date and sell date are two different things.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 11, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

They should do this, send out preorders and ship to stores at the same time.

Eh, shipping to stores ahead of time is pretty much standard procedure. The chaos is down to doing this whilst not having a concrete sell date to consumers/retailers ahead of time.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
If I had to guess, ASUS could be having trouble with the supply yields, with Google's (relatively) higher hardware standards aggravating that further. For a while I thought ASUS were artificially constraining supply with the Transformer series, but the "vague release date, followed by low stock" pattern has happened so regularly with their products that perhaps that really is the extent of their supply chain.

In which case the answer to "what was the point of pre-ordering" is "because there's going to a massive shortage of them whilst the Kindle Fire 2 followed by the iPad Mini swallow its demand/sales".

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 13, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

General_Failure posted:

That's awful. I was expecting that it had a really high quality build. Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it meant to have that Gorilla Glass stuff? If so then how are people applying enough force to re-adhere / pop back the screen? either way that's a pretty serious issue.

Since the problems go away with an exchange in all of the reports, the issues seem stem from ASUS' lax quality control letting devices through which don't meet the minimum spec as opposed to the design itself.

Rastor posted:

There was no removable storage slot in the Nexus S, none in the Galaxy Nexus, and none in the Nexus 7.

You can read the Android engineers' explanation here, but what it boils down to is:
Nexus devices will no longer have SD card slots.

FWIW they refactored the way storage is handled in Jelly bean, which wouldn't really make sense if they didn't plan on revisiting it down the line. From what they've said publically it's more of a philosophical issue of how to handle from a UX/UI perspective since they're opposed to bundling a file manager with stock Android.

Whooping Toff posted:

Its been partialy talked about before but could someone with a nexus 7 confirm if usb OTG actually works or what needs to be done to get it to work? Really really want to be able to connect a flash drive for extra storage when mine arrives.

It supports USB OTG, with the notable exception of External storage. But its more a software limitation than hardware (see above). IIRC there are already apps which can mount external drives by accessing the underlying Linux kernel which already exist on Play, but those require root. If you don't want to go that route, you could always wait a couple of weeks for a dev to create an app using the native USB apis. The reason nobody bothered before is because before this the only Android tablets with even modest sales were the Transformer/Galaxy tab series, which shipped with external storage functionality baked in.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Thanks, that sounds like how Nova displays on a phone in landscape rather than the tablet layout. I wonder if the dev will find a way to use the tablet layout since I'd rather not actually change the DPI and have to deal with Play Store compatibility issues.

You'll have to change DPI. The bars are managed by the system, not the launcher/homescreen. Devs are limited to dimming/periodically hiding the bars. Apparently the reasoning behind going for split rather than combined bars is that the later felt "cramped".

I haven't handled a Nex7 (so I could be off base), but conceptually I see what they mean. The form factor lends itself to a one-handed grip, so if the soft buttons/notification were pushed to the edges you'd get some weird compromises like having to reach further with the other hands thumb. I could also see some grips inadvertently pressing the buttons, which is much less likely when they're positioned in the middle. I also don't think the traditional Honeycomb style homescreen with no dock would've worked as well since it doesn't have as much real estate to use for widgets, making it a net loss.

Plus its not as if it's a straight off cut and paste of the smaller screen layout, since you get additions like the screen rotation toggle in the notification shade.

Gravity Pike posted:

Just got :siren:MY NEXUS:siren:, and what in the hell is this 4-port connector for? Doesn't look like there's a way to securely plug in anything, unless they've got some iMac style voodoo magnet bullshit going on.

They're "Pogo pins", used for charging/interfacing with docks.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

atehist posted:

It did get incredibly humid and hot today in a relatively short period of time, but I would have hoped that Google's Flagship Tablet wouldn't be susceptible to non-extreme temperature variations.

I got off the phone with Asus and opened a ticket with them. The person on the phone basically stated that all I could do was open a ticket, send it in, and go from there, where I am assuming it will promptly get rejected due to a crack. Hooray.

You should've tried going for a replacement before going through warranty (though it's not too late, you can still try it first before shipping it then just cancel the ticket if it works), since warranty is going to take a longer period/more effort. Plus there's no telling it won't get further problems down the line even after the screen is fixed, especially since you say it also suffered from the creaky build problem.

The crack is thin/unnaturally uniform, so if you bought it from retail "it had it out of the box" would've had a good chance of working, since you could've emphasized the thinness of it/that the device shows no point of impact if you got any resistance. Similarly if you got it from Google Play, "Defective, had a thin crack across the screen out of the box" would get you a fairly effortless swap, since it would easily get past their clearance on receipt.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 20, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Cheap Trick posted:

After all this waiting since I placed my pre-order on the 28th June, and not receiving a shipping tracking number, I received this in my inbox:

Despite the fact that I entered a street address, to which I've had dozens of courier deliveries prior. Google, you dumb fuckers.

Ring them up and complain.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Re: N7 Case chat

quote:

We’ve received details of five new official accessories built by Asus, including a rotating and non-rotating stand case, a folio case, a keyboard case and a screen protector. Let’s have a look at what will be available of these official Nexus 7 accessories.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2012/08/five-official-google-nexus-7-accessories-coming-soon-to-mobile-fun/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Ender.uNF posted:

* The home screen(s) are also confusing and unclear. When setup is done, one of the first things I want to do is a) see what apps are installed and b) check out the app store (Google Play store). You will find none of that on the home screen,

IIRC doesn't the N7 have giant Google Play library/recommendation widgets on the homescreen at first launch to get people immediately get people interacting with the store? From what I've seen from the videos even some of the buttons on the initial setup wizard use the Play triangle, so they've even got subliminal messaging going on.

quote:

I understand what they are going for here but people have enough trouble figuring out the iOS Springboard.

Can you elaborate a bit?

quote:

Downloading an app should immediately take me to that app's icon so I know how to get back to it.

Is there a pressing need for it when you have the alphabetically sorted app drawer, notification drop, widget drop and open link directly on the store listing you're downloading from?

quote:

* If I didn't already know what the Google Play store was, I would have no idea how to get apps onto the device. "Play" sounds like it's for games, or maybe an app to play music.

Isn't Google Play on the Dock by default out of the box? Its shopping bag icon isn't all that ambiguous either. Between the Play widgets, icon links from the other Play apps, icon link in the App Drawer or just word of mouth about the free Play credit most will be able to stumble upon it.

quote:

In the Store, you have to know to swipe left to see categories (and generally understand that the bar up top represents the list of things you can do)... but even that works differently. In the list of Apps/Widgets, swiping left on the first page of widgets moves to the Apps tab, but swiping right just pages through the widgets.

Most aren't going to explicitly jump to the Widgets tab by pressing it though. The more common scenario is that the user is paging through the Apps tab, gets to the end, then accidentally scrolls over to the widgets tab (followed by tapping to launch one as they have been doing with apps and failing, then getting practical primer on how to customize the homescreen).

quote:

and artificially separating the list of apps/widgets from the home screen is a cop-out because they couldn't figure out a good UI for managing it, but it makes things much worse.

Do you object to the Desktop/master app list split in other Operating systems (Windows/Mac etc)? Or the concept of a Desktop at all? Not trying to console warrior, just confused as to what your ideal is.

quote:

Same reason tapping Buy takes you out of the app, slides over to the page, and shows you exactly where the icon went. I have never once been mystified about where an app is in iOS because the Springboard takes advantage of human spatial memory and reinforces it even for seasoned users.

Do you see the iOS 6 behavior (staying within the app store, draping the corresponding homescreen icon with a New banner until first launch) as a downgrade in usability then?

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 3, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Any good guides to help me get started, or will there be one on the device itself?

There's about half a dozen minute tutorials you can breeze through on the Nexus Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6S5og4wNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhpCjnB73yU

http://www.youtube.com/user/googlenexus/videos

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Tori CMOS posted:

People are breaking them because sacrifices are made to bring a tablet in at that price point, and build quality is one of them.

At first glance that would be the natural conclusion, but given that the initial runs of Transformer Prime shared the same screen flex defect + comparatively worse problems despite being a high-end device it seems to be more of an ASUS QC issue than anything else.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Somebody best tell the BBC that, the iPlayer doesn't work on my nice new shiny fully supported 4.1 tablet, but does work on my wife's hacky gingerbread archos badlet that's quite annoying.

They're working on it:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Fatal posted:

I'm having a battery issue with my Nexus, not sure if it's just me coming from an iPad or what but here's what I'm experiencing. I pretty much exclusively use it before I go to bed, surfing the web about 30-45 minutes a night (Either betamax or another forum or two, no video). That's it, no other time on it at all. However I'm finding it just sits there and drains the battery so that I have to charge it about every 3 days even though I only have used it a maximum of 2 hours. Is this odd behavior or am I just expecting too much?

People are reporting assorted battery problems with Betamax at the moment, so first try temporarily uninstalling it and browsing the forums with Chrome for a day or two to see if the situation resolves itself.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Cicero posted:

Is this going to be the TVIV thread for the Amazon event?

Wouldn't really work since there's no livestream. Though temporarily consolidating discussion into the E-reader thread, then shifting Kindle fire/phone discussion back into their respective Android threads once the event dies down (much like the Android phone thread did for Google IO) is probably the way to go.

Discussion over in the E-reader thread

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Is it just me or is the new Kindle Fire OS literally nothing but a series of carousels? Like, a carousel of books, a carousel of games, etc? All of the tech sites are just showing screenshots of the hardware, almost nothing of the user experience besides the reading app.

Yup, Carousels and bookshelves all the way down. Even in the browser.